[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dutch Oven Pot Roast Sans Lid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I just put a 3lbs pot roast into the oven at 250 F. It is inside a cast iron dutch oven, but I decided not to cover it with a lid. Has anyone tried cooking a pot roast without using a lid? I couldn't find any info online. Basically, my idea is to reduce the braising liquid over the 4 hour cooking time to concentrate its flavors and use it as a gravy for the meat and veggies.
>>
>>8137034
You're doing some kind of odd cross between a plain 'ol roast and a braise. That's a pretty typical thing. I often do lamb shanks in the oven. I start with the lid on for most of the cooking, then remove it for about the last hour or so. It helps brown the meat better, but it doesn't do much as far as reducing the liquid. If you want a good reduction then a much better idea is to cook the meat however you want, then after it's cooked you transfer the braising liquid to the stovetop and reduce it there.

>>a 3 lbs pot roast
That's not a cut of meat anon. "pot roast" is a cooking method, not an ingredient.
>>
>>8137054
I actually put the lid back on and reset the timer before you posted because everything online keeps mentioning the tight-fitting lid, so I assumed that was a critical component of the cooking method.

You said that you remove the lid for the last hour of cooking to brown the meat, but I already seared it before adding it to the dutch oven, so it's already browned.

And yes, last time I braised a chuck roast, I separated and reduced the liquid in a pot on the stove. I figured four hours of evaporation time in the oven would accomplish something similar, but I decided to "play it safe" and put the lid back on. Just was curious as to whether or not any anons have ever done a pot roast without the lid with any success or whether or not it's even a viable option.

I should also mention that I broil the veggies after removing them from the braising liquid to make them a bit browned and crispy and then ladle the reduction back over them. Tastes delicious!
>>
>>8137083

When you remove the lid then you are no longer doing a "pot roast", you're just plain ol roasting. The enclosed pot with a tight-fitting lid is critical to the definition of a pot roast.
>>
>>8137097
Semantics is a slippery topic, but my understanding is that roasting involves COMPLETELY surrounding the food with dry heat, hence the need to use a roasting rack to elevate the food above the roasting pan to allow for complete circulation of heated dry air.

If I cook a piece of meat in liquid with or without a lid, I'm still braising.

If I cook something in an oven without having it sit in a liquid and without elevating it so that air circulates around it complete, then I'm baking.

At least those are the definitions I've been working with up to now.
>>
>>8137107

Sure, there is some semantic debate as to whether or not it's still "roasting" if there is liquid in the roasting pan. I'm sure that could be argued for a long time.

But it's for damn sure not a "pot roast" with the lid off.

And since we're talking about semantics: what's interesting is that the term "pot roast" has changed a lot through history. These days it tends to imply a braise happening inside a closed container. But originally, there was very little if any liquid added to a "pot roast". The only liquid present would be the natural juices from the food itself--no water, wine, stock, or whatever was added.
>>
>>8137115
That makes sense. And probably, in the old days, maybe people put rocks or something inside the pot to elevate the meat, so that hot air could circulate around it while it was covered and hanging over an open fire. Anyway, the lid is on, so maybe if any other anons have tried cooking it without a lid, they will post their results. My main concern was how much the liquid would be reduced and whether or not it would affect the overall cooking time of the meat, not having a lid on to concentrate the heat.
>>
>>8137134

In my experience the liquid will reduce somewhat, but probably not to the degree that you expect. If you want to serve it as a sauce you'll probably still need to reduce it on the stovetop after the meat is done.
>>
>>8137146
Yeah, I'm going to do that, and stir in a bit of corn flour to thicken it up even more. Maybe that's not the optimal thickening agent, but I've got a huge bag left over from my homemade chili so I want to use it up.
>>
>>8137034
You can do it as long as the meat is almost entirely submerged but I prefer to cook it covered and take the cover off during the last half hour.
>>
>>8137161
eh? don't do that.

for dank gravy I suggest:
pour out about 3/4 of drippings/broth once meat is done
brown onions, preferably sweet, in pan
deglaze pan and add to drippings with onions
add potatoes, bake
make pale roux of flour and butter
whisk in post onion/potato drippings
your gravy will be plenty, thick, and super savory with a touch of sweetness from the onions
cooking the potatoes in helps thickening and is especially good if you find yourself with a broth that's too salty (common if you're using bullion or certain store bought stocks)
>>
>>8137272
Great advice...thanks, I'll try that
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.