[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've worked in the industry for over a decade and have picked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: shrimphabanerocream.jpg (240KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
shrimphabanerocream.jpg
240KB, 1000x667px
I've worked in the industry for over a decade and have picked up many skills in my time.

I've worked under anything from meme chefs in 4.5 star places to Pablo's taco stand. I know my food and my kitchen inside and out.

I understand why I do things and what effect I'm going for when I do them. However, now that I'm in a time in my life where marketing and appearance are much more on the forefront of my interests than skill, I realize I dont understand the science behind a lot of the things I do or why and how they work. I've never had any formal schooling and the jobs and skills I've acquired have just been at work

Are there any books that are vast and detailed about basic techniques? Quintessential things I should read before calling myself a true chef over a cook even though I've worked in and around the industry for so long?

I just want to make sure there aren't ideas and things that are staring me in the face but I'm missing because I didnt think about them having not understoo properly every facet of a dish I was creating.
>>
>>8132673
You're on your way to becoming that meme chef. Look into food chemistry. It's really interesting stuff. You'll find loads of material with a little poking around.
>>
"Sir.....SIR. I don't want your life story. Just make me my omelette and keep moving"
>>
>>8132682
My 8 year old niece can flip an omelette.

>>8132678
Will do. I am however looking for a good book or three of some essentials that I can use to better understand the techniques I employ already so that I can expand on my current dishes and better learn how to use more foreign ingredients without fucking them up the first time.
>>
>>8132694
"If the cool talks about his niece one more time, I will not fucking leave a tip. This is bullshit, we should have went to Dennys."
>>
>>8132705
>>8132705

Epic bants.

People usually seem pretty excited to hear me talk when I drag my ass out of the kitchen to touch tables with important clientale. I'm not one of those that go on forever, I introduce the plate, drop one fact you most likely dont know, then dip. K.I.S.S.
>>
I don't read any thread longer than what displays in catalog mode. This isn't /lit/. Thread hidden.
>>
auguste escoffier
>>
>>8132673
the" modernist cuisine" from Nathan Myhrvold is what you looking for...

the whole molecular cooking thing is based of the pioneer work of Hervé This-Benckhard, a French professor in the mid 80's and Pierre Gagnaire

people Adrian Ferra, Heston Blumenthal, etc used his books
>>
>>8132713
"Now hes going on about 20 mins talking about how he doesnt spend too much time with guests"
>>
File: 71qpfWtYeeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (134KB, 906x1359px) Image search: [Google]
71qpfWtYeeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
134KB, 906x1359px
>>8132673
CookingInRussia on youtube and his companion books

not so much a complete focus on basic techniques but I'm sure you will find some useful information. He often explains why certain things are done in recipes.
>>
>>8132673
>before calling myself a true chef over a cook
Chef isn't an honorific. It's a job title for the person in charge of a kitchen with multiple departments.
>>
>>8132673
On food and cooking by Harold mcghee
>>
>>8133017

nathan comes in to eat at my restaurant fairly regularly.. he's a nice guy.

modernist cuisine is an awesome set of books.
>>
>>8132673
The French Laundry, ya dip
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.