[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I properly caramelize onions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

inexperienced cook anon here; is there 1 weird trick or some shit to properly do caramelized onions? I've tried following a number of recipes but I always run into the same problem. they almost always call for a little butter and a little oil, medium-low heat, and after about 45 minute they're supposed to be pretty much done. only that never happens to mine. it seems like no matter how long i let them go they just barely start to look like the the far left of pic related, and if i inch up the temperature even the tiniest bit they just start to immediately saute.

I just did a batch for an hour and twenty minutes and they still looked basically like the ones on the left. the rest of the dish was done at that point so i just said fuck it and threw em in the pot and deglazed the pan. they're still quite good but I what really want to get is that deep brown almost mush you see on the right
>>
>>8112000

Add a little salt at the beginning to draw out moisture, you're welcome.
>>
>>8112011
how much salt are we talking per onion here? i've tried sprinkling on a bit as the recipes usually call for but maybe I just need to do more (and i guess use less salt elsewhere in the dish to compensate).
>>
>>8112000
coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil, put it over high heat, and then start cutting the onions in the next room.
>>
medium heat
olive oil and you can add butter to this too but that's optional
throw in your onions
stir to coat the onions
salt

and here's the thing: don't stir them too much and just let them do their thing. you only stir occasionally to make sure they don't burn or stick too much to the pan.

i add some sugar in the middle of cooking and balsamic near the end of the cooking cycle and turn the heat to low and that's when it turns into that nice dark brown. it should take about 30-40 minutes.
>>
Chef here,

Sugar.
>>
File: danksammich.jpg (34KB, 640x607px) Image search: [Google]
danksammich.jpg
34KB, 640x607px
>>8112000
High heat pan
Olive Oil
Onions
salt ( like 10 pinches per on)
Sugar (like 5 pinches per On)
wait untill they look like middle of picture OP
put on sheet
cool
refrige
>>
>>8112000
baking soda
>>
>>8112341
thanks anon
>>
kek
I caramelised 7lbs (7lbs is about 3kg, right?) of onions today to be made into onion sauce for pasta tomorrow. That cooked down to only three quarters of a litre/quart of caramelised onion which will in turn make about a full litre/quart of sauce.

The way to do it is high heat, listen/watch for sizzling to grow muffled/browning to start, then add wine or water or a mixture of the two to cover the onions, stir about/scrape up fond, reduce out and repeat as necessary until caramelised.
Using plain water helps prevent burning while also deglazing the pan of its caramelised fond which in turn distributes more evenly among the onions promoting more even caramelisation while with wine, in addition to the utility of water in the basic method, also contains sugars which help the onions caramelise more quickly as the liquid reduces down again.

It also helps to use a wider pan rather than a taller pot as that gives more surface area on which the caramelisation can occur.
>>
For three large onions:

Julienne no more the 1/8" thick. Add to pan. Put pan on stove. Medium flame. About a Tbl. of oil. Sweat the onions (stir them also), and when you see some liquid in the bottom of the pan it is ready to babysit. Flip or stir every five minutes and make sure to mix the brown pieces from the bottom of the pan until they lend their colour to the rest of the onions. Do this until tanned leather brown. You add some butter and salt if you want at the end.
>>
>>8112498
okay my steps sucked now that i read them but:
- add salt and sugar like 10-15 minutes after you've put your onions in the pan
- you want them to stick when you're not stirring but not let it stick too much and burn
- i turn my heat down after 25 minutes or something (eyeball it) and if they look a little dry you can always add a little oil or butter to it
the balsamic is optional and you don't have to add it (it'll be brown without it either way if done correctly)
i said this should take 30-40 minutes but it's probably longer than that (it finishes by the time i'm done the rest of my food which could go up to an hour)

don't blame me if it doesn't work though
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.