[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

beanssss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 20160106-beans-vicky-wasik-1.jpg (364KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20160106-beans-vicky-wasik-1.jpg
364KB, 1500x1125px
Anybody here got any tips on how to make beans taste good?

I've cooked two batches so far, and this is what I learned so far:

1st batch of beans: Soaked overnight, cooked for about 3-4 hours. Beans came out a little mushy and I didn't season them with anything other than salt and cellery. Needless to say, they were sub par.

2nd batch of beans: Didn't soak the beans. Ended up cooking them for more than 6 hours. Beans turned out firm and perfect in texture, though I got the feeling that my thin metal pot just isn't cooking them evenly. Also, ham hocks, though tasty, do NOT go well with mexican style serano pepper beans. I learned that the hard way.

Should I invest in an enameled dutch oven on my next pay check?
>>
6 fucking hours for unsoaked beans? What were you cooking with? a lighter? I cook a shitload of beans weekly (i'm mexican) and they usually take 2 hours without soaking and 1 if soaked.

Now if you want them to taste great, for 500 grams of beans add half a diced white onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Cook until done and then add salt, cook for another 5 minutes, remove from heat.

You can eat them like this alone or with diced tomatoes, avocado and grated cotija cheese.

Want something more greasy? Then heat about 3 tbsp of pig lard (no hydrogenated oil bullshit and you can adjust how much you want, but the more the better) add 1/4 of a white onion and one jalapeƱo pepper deseeded and cut in half, fry until onion is slightly translucent, then add about 500 gr. of cooked beans along with 4 tbsp of the water they were cooked in. Stir it, remove the chili (or leave it if you want it spicy) then mash with a potatoe smasher as much as you can,return the chili and let em cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stiring every 5 minutes or so. Serve with flour or corn tortillas or as a side dish
>>
>>8097873
What can I say? I'm an autistic tard. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>8097711
Get a pressure cooker if you're doing this regularly. Soaked beans cook in ten minutes. Do it in an elevated pot so nothing burns. Some need to be cooked in water because they expel what's already in them.

Chickpeas and white beans can be turned into hummus and whole food "cookie dough".
>>
Serve them in a salad with olive oil, lemon, red peppers, red onion maybe chopped tomato, coriander, maybe some fresh mint. Season to taste. Great lunch staple.
>>
Look up recipies for Feijo
My wife soaks them overnight, then washes them, then cooks in the slow cooker with bayleaves and garlic.

Then when you want to eat them, chop up some garlic, fry in a little oil in a pot untill it starts to brown, then add 1 seaspoon of sweet paprika and really quickly disolve it then add about 1/2 a cup of water to stop it burning.

then heat up the beans (mabie 3 or 4 cups) in the pot with the garlic oil sause.

and eat with rice.
>>
you should invest in an 8 quart pressure cooker. The presto 01370 is a good one.

sort for rocks, rinse, then soak beans for 12 hours on the counter, then cook in the pressure cooker for 3-6 minutes, depending on the bean.

Strain and store in fridge, and use for recipes. This is all I do. I eat 200+ pounds of beans a year.
>>
>>8098861
oh yeah, I add 1 tsp of salt to the soaking water, and I pressure cook the beans in the soaking water.
>>
>>8097711
Don't cook your beans in plain water. Use STOCK, or make sure you add a bunch of aromatic vegetables as well as some kind of smoked or cured pork product.

>Also, ham hocks, though tasty, do NOT go well with mexican style serano pepper beans. I learned that the hard way.

What didn't you like about this? I often make "Frijoles charros" with ham hocks and serranos (among other ingredients) and it's fucking delicious.
>>
Another basic bean recipe would be, whatever beans, some Carrots, onion, celery, garlic, Thyme. Add the aromatics to the pot sweat, don't caramelize. Add the beans let them absorb all the liquid from the vegetables, then add water till desired doneness. Finish with salt to taste and you're solid. Try to eat the vegetables they're pretty mushy and don't have much flavor.
>>
>>8098867
>and I pressure cook the beans in the soaking water.

its like you love farting and hate flavor

>>8098875
>Use STOCK

this
>>
>>8098877
This is perfect
>>
>>8098875
As a Mexican, that's what I told my GF, but she still thought they were too "porky". I think I just added too much ham hock.

>>8098876
That sounds good, I'll give that a try
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.