[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Native fruits and vegitables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: North-American-Paw-Paw-3011.jpg (59KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
North-American-Paw-Paw-3011.jpg
59KB, 600x402px
Ok, look at the image.
Could anyone from the Eastern united states identify this?
If you don't know it's called a pawpaw and before I got bored one day and looked around for native fruits and vegitables, I had no idea either.
And I still haven't eaten it.
So this thread is for discussing and discovering fruits and vegetables in your nation you might not have heard of.
>>
There's an apple tree in my backyard
>>
I found OP in /ck/, I don't think I will eat it though.
>>
>>8095668
I work produce on the east coast, and just the other day a woman brought in a couple of these paw paws that she had picked herself. She started telling me about how Thomas Jefferson had a paw paw tree and that it isn't normally stocked in grocery stores because of its short shelf life. I tried it, and it was really custardy, and a little sweet. Then the next day a couple comes in asking for fucking paw paws. And now I see this thread. The fuck is going on. Apparently they're also working on a more shelf stable paw paw.
>>
>>8095668
According to the BBC program QI, North America only has one native vegetable....the jerusalem artichoke.
>>
>>8095668
They're not commercially viable due to their short lifespan. From what I remember, they are pollinated early in spring by flies which is somewhat less reliable than bees, no idea about beetles, so rotting meat is used to attract them.
Anyway, there are a lot of native fruits to choose from, but most won't make it to the supermarket for one reason or another. For example, beach plums don't consistently fruit year after year. There's still a $10,000 prize from the '40s available to anyone with a beach plum that fruits year after year. Also, native persimmons are tastier but they're a niche product since they're smaller. They make much better dried fruit as well. If you have the time and money, there are a lot of interesting plants to explore from a culinary perspective. If you want to get really deep into it, native culinary herbs are largely unexplored and probably underutilized. There are some resources online, but I suggest hitting the books if you're actually interested in these sorts of things.
>>
>>8095916
That's a good point
Got any suggestions?
>>
>>8095874
Who the fuck trusts the British about anything culinary?
>>
>>8095946
name another North Murrican vegetable then cunt
>>
>>8095966
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_coccineus
>>
>>8095976
central america is NOT north america duh
>>
>>8095874
Potato
>>
>>8096010
South America is not north america either. Your education is very questionable
>>
>>8095942
Look at tree and shrub identification guides printed for your area with keys. Budget cuts may have killed them. For herbs, forbs, etc., I can't tell you what to look for since a lot of these don't even have pictures and may not have been seen for decades. Usually they're is a listing of native plant species by county or parish, but they really only include the type of plant, name, and how it common it is. Trees and shrubs are a lot easier to start with.
>>
Anyone who so much as steps foot on South America and doesn't try the dizzying variety of potatoes and tomatoes is failing themselves.

It's sad how many people think a potato is either black or white and that's it.
>>
>>8095966
Pumpkins and sunflowers
>>
>>8096185
pumpkin originated in Mexico. Sunflower provides seeds. Sunflower is not a vegetable
>>
>>8096260
Mexico is in North America you silly bastard
>>
>>8095981
But it is you tard look at a map
>>
>>8096269
So you think you own Mexico????!!!! Why does Trump want to build a wall to keep his own citizens out? Your argument is stupid. Mexico is a different country.
>>
>>8096279

so you think you own central america as well. why not go the whole hog and claim to own canada and all of south america too. dipshit
>>
>>8096285
Not him but you're a fucking idiot, Son.
>>
>>8096302
what are you? an illegal from spic land?
>>
Y'all confusing north america as a country and north america as a continent.
>>
>>8096320
THERE IS NOT A COUNTRY CALLED NORTH AMERICA
>>
>>8096334
thats what hes saying genius
>>
>>8096017
No im aaying the poster is a potato because it doesnt fucking matter

None'a dis matters
>>
>>8095806
They're in season and there are more foodies now so people care more about shit like that.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.