[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SCG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 200_s.gif (26KB, 261x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
26KB, 261x200px
Can we get a soup/ chowder thread going?

I have some leftover ham and some corn on the cob that was picked a bit too late, I'm thinking of doing a ham and corn chowder.

I am fairly new to making soups/ chowders, but I know the direction I want to go.

Should I roast the corn first?

Best way to get get it nice and thick?

Post your recipes and ask your questions ITT
>>
Taking a bit of reference from these recipes here.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/09/creamy-ham-potato-corn-chowder/

http://www.food.com/recipe/ham-and-corn-chowder-56845

I'm a kitchen worker, but we don't do any fresh soups. It's always frozen shit. A few years ago we had a lady join our crew for awhile and she was making fresh soups, they were a real hit! One thing she told me that always stuck with me is "you don't need a recipe for soup, just a direction"
>>
>>8094602
roasting the corn will intensify the sweetness and add a smokey flavour, if thats what you want go for it

best way to thicken a chowder is with a roux,

here's a ham and potato https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSI-Ij_gUwg
>>
I usually have leek and potato/ham and potato and chicken rice soup on rotation during the fall and winter. What're your favorite GOAT soups? I feel like adding more to my rotation. Recipes or not, I usually just eyeball everything and go by taste anyway.
>>
File: sárgarépaleves.jpg (611KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
sárgarépaleves.jpg
611KB, 2240x1344px
>Can we get a soup/ chowder thread going?
Sure. A lot of what I cook are soups/stews.

>Should I roast the corn first?
I wouldn't, but you can if you want.

>Best way to get get it nice and thick?
Chowders are traditionally thickened by the starch coming off of the potato cubes as they cook, but I cheat. I par-cook a potato in the microwave, make a roux to thicken a 1:1 mixture of milk and reduced stock, then add the potato and finish it in the thickened milk mixture.
It's a lot less time consuming.

Pic related is a favourite wintertime soup: carrot, parsnip and onion soup with potato dumplings. The dumplings are super easy to make: instant mash and plain flour in 1:1 portion by weigh plus an egg, salt to taste and just enough water to barely come together.
There's a creamy version (called sárgarépakremleves), but I prefer this one with the grated veg instead.
>>
>>8094635
The ones you posted are all great soups. I am a big fan of thick cream based soups. My aunt made a potato/bacon soup that was so good and thick it was like dip lol.

Minestrone is another of my faves.

>>8094619
That's exactly what I am looking for. I am going camping with some family next weekend and I want to make a nice soup because it's most likely going to be cold.
>>
>>8094642
Thick soups are the shit. I made some leek and potato earlier this week and it's thick enough to basically scoop up with some crusty toasted bread.

Minestrone is a good call, I might attempt an Italian wedding soup too.
>>
>>8094654
>Thick enough to scoop

That's the shit right there.

>Italian wedding

What's the difference between Italian wedding and Italian Florentine?
>>
File: weddingsoup8.jpg (113KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
weddingsoup8.jpg
113KB, 600x450px
>>8094710

>difference between Italian wedding and Italian Florentine

No tomato in the broth, and it's got little meatballs. Maybe fewer veg and more greens, too? I'm not sure on that one though.

...unless this is the setup to a joke. It almost sounds like the setup to a joke.
>>
>>8094772
Lol not a setup, but I thought that too when I typed it.

I had one of the two before, it had a clearing broth, meatballs, barley and spices.

Was good shit man. I loved the idea of meatballs in soup.
>>
File: BaconTomatoBisque.jpg (75KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
BaconTomatoBisque.jpg
75KB, 800x532px
Any tomato love here?

It's my fave, with a grilled cheese on a cold day.
>>
File: 201609151149.jpg (724KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
201609151149.jpg
724KB, 2240x1344px
Cooked up some spinach soup with beans for lunch. Here's a bowl of it.
I love the stuff, even if it ain't much to look at. Not pictured, but had it with hard toast.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.