[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leftover fines idea:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: coffee questions.jpg (230KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
coffee questions.jpg
230KB, 500x333px
I'm currently using a Hario Skerton (with the lower bearing mod) to do coarse grinding for my french press. Honestly, it doesn't make that consistent of a grind despite installing the mod as meticulously as possible - so I have also taken to using a fine strainer to separate all the dust from the grounds I use in the press pot.

The quality of the result is significantly better but I'd love to use that leftover pile of fines. I'm thinking an aeropress could make use of them, but I haven't turned up much by searching product FAQ pages or elsewhere. Can anyone with an aeropress give this a shot some time?
>>
>>8074771
i hate you
>>
>>8074774
noted.
>>
>spending this much time and energy on drugged poo water
>>
File: knuCKles.png (478KB, 814x551px) Image search: [Google]
knuCKles.png
478KB, 814x551px
>>8074843
>not spending time and energy to get good at making something you drink on a daily basis, especially when the alternative is spending even more time and much more money to buy a similar quality product from cafes
Why is so much of /ck/ people who don't even cook?
>>
What setting are you on, according to the link?
http://fourbarrel.tumblr.com/post/283821195/easy-way-to-set-the-grind-on-a-hario-skerton

Also, make sure that the mod is not making the lower burr grind closer one side. These things aren't made perfect so even if your mod is centered, it doesn't mean the burr actually is. Also, I've also noticed certain beans create significantly more fines than others and you shouldn't be pouring every last drop out of the pot anyways
>>
Turkish coffee
>>
>>8074855
I was set at 9, so I'll try reigning that in.
I had a lot of difficulty with centering the burrs actually, so I may just have a slightly faulty grinder.
I do leave a little of the coffee left in the carafe of course, but that's beside the point: I would still be sifting out the dust/fines before brewing, and I want to be able to use them instead of tossing them out.

>>8074860
Oh snap I had forgotten about this. I'd still rather go with aeropress if possible since that's considered a very good/cheap/quick method by everyone, but Turkish is definitely a great idea to fall back on. Thanks for bringing that up.
>>
>>8074849
>drinking coffee on a daily basis
You act like you're taking the higher road by not buying from cafes. You're already redpilled into thinking that the coffee scam is actually worth anything.
>>
>>8074877
I'm trying to help you reduce the fines to the point that you don't need to sift, friend.

9 is WAY too open and your grind is most definitely inconsistent as fucking hell even with the mod. I have mine set at 6. Brew for 3:30 total. Bodum press. 400/24 ratio for my mug and I have less than an 1/8tsp of sludge in the bottom of the cup even if I pour every last drop from the pot
>>
File: sippyslowly.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sippyslowly.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>8074883
It's the much cheaper & faster road to the same destination. That's about all there is to it.

>>8074893
Yeah I'm expecting that will help (I always forget to check that the nut on the bottom is still tight as well). I find I like my medium roasts at a total time of 4:00 from start of bloom to finishing the pour into my thermos (pretty close to your ratio too), but yeah it might go down with smaller grounds. Still, I'm going to keep sifting for a bit just to see how much is still getting through. I would suggest you try the same if you've got a sieve handy, it could at least prove your equipment is in top-notch form.

If anybody happens to have the opportunity & inclination to try the idea in OP (and/or with a Turkish pot), I'd still appreciate the insight!
>>
>>8074843
>only ever had shit machine coffee
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.