[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that my homemade pizza crust (almost) always tastes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: LF0103_Basic-Pizza-Dough.jpg (191KB, 616x462px) Image search: [Google]
LF0103_Basic-Pizza-Dough.jpg
191KB, 616x462px
Why is it that my homemade pizza crust (almost) always tastes better than restaurant crust? There's a few exceptions, but I've found that in general the crust is treated as merely the thing you put the pizza on rather than the thing that can make or break the flavor. What stops restaurants from perfecting their craft and making crust to die for? Is it an ingredient pricing thing?
>>
>>8056677
its because you made it
>>
>>8056677
Some people are just set in their ways. Where I'm located Detroit style pizza is extremely common, so there's no point in ordering a shitty italian pizza with a dense, inedible cornicione. When I want a pizza, I'll start a dough three days before that. I just leave it in the fridge to cold ferment
>>
>>8056704
>cornicione

What a tremendous faggot. Your mother must be so proud of the pot holders you've made her. Fuck. A. Duck.
>>
>>8056677

I found that the trick to good pizza crust is a little sugar, half T per pizza crust. and about 4 times as much salt as most bread recipes call for, again, about a half T per crust.

Medium size crusts... 12 oz. Dough ball.
>>
>>8056677
What's your recipe OP? I've found some decent ones but It always comes out too airy.
>>
>>8056895
Basically >>8056749 but I use honey for the sugar, proof the yeast (which a lot of recipes skip for some reason), and hand-knead which gives it a better texture. You're also supposed to crank your oven up as high as it goes to get a good char, but ymmv since most home ovens don't go up that high.
>>
>>8056931
>most home ovens don't go up that high.

Convection, accept no substitutes.

Tfw I realize ill probably never stop being such a lazy fuck up that ill never build my own wood burning pizza oven from refractory mud and bricks...
>>
>>8056931
>(which a lot of recipes skip for some reason),

Because it doesn't matter with modern yeast cultures.

Try just throwing it in with the other dry ingredients next time. If there I a difference, its very subtle.

Higher than normal salt content is what separates pizza crust from plain bread
>>
lack of storage space , high turnover(maybe) and food safety means they would not let the dough ferment more than a day or so.
>>
>>8056677

Except homemade is always shit compared to any chain unless you really know what you are doing and have the tools to make it properly.

>>8056952
>>8056931

Proofing with sugar is skipped because it makes things less consistent.

"Instant Dry Yeast/Bread Machine" is the same thing as "Active Dry Yeast" except that the granules are smaller and IDY has some ascorbic acid added to help it get started. It's fine just to put the IDY in with everything else-- that's why it exists, but the best results come when you dissolve it in the water first before adding any flour. Adding sugar to that mix is okay but not necessary.

>>8057134

Chain pizza dough is designed for ease of use and consistency. It has a bunch of "conditioners" in it, is low in water content and is cooked usually in conveyor "air-impingement" ovens. And yeah, they don't ferment it much, if at all, which is the thing that makes great bread.

>>8056749

This is why you need a scale. Pizza dough usually has about 2% salt relative to total weight of the ingredients. Salt helps dough extensibility and manages the growth rate of the yeast. Doughs fermented at room temperature, like real Neapolitan pizzas, have a higher salt content than other doughs to extend fermentation times.
>>
>>8056677
You go to shit restaurants.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.