[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: MTI2MjA3MjYwNzMxOTEwNzg3.jpg (48KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
MTI2MjA3MjYwNzMxOTEwNzg3.jpg
48KB, 620x349px
Hi /ck/

Cooking a steak for myself and another tonight.

What is the best way to prepare/cook a steak?

Marinade? Leave it to soak with oil/salt/pepper?

I've cooked bland steak in the past and don't wish a repeat of that.

Pls help.
>>
>>Best way to cook
IMHO, if it's a boneless steak then it's best cooked on a pan. Sear it on both sides, then lower the heat to finish cooking through. Or alternately, sear then finish in the oven.

A bone-in steak will not sit flat in a pan, therefore it won't sear as well. Bone-in steaks are best grilled.

>>Marinade
Up to your preference, but I'd say no. If you have good meat then just season it shortly before you cook it.

Basic technique pointers:
1) make sure the steak is dry before you cook it. Pat it dry with kitchen towels. Damp meat won't sear/brown properly. If you marinaded the steak then this is extra important, since any residual marinade will burn and taste nasty.

2) let the steak rest after cooking it before you serve it.
>>
My method:
>let it sit for at least an hour (preferably much longer) with salt & garlic powder
>pepper on each side as it cooks
>after first flip, add a pat of butter
>when almost done, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce
>let it sit on a plate for a bit before serving

I have trouble getting a good sear, but it's always better than anything I'll get around town.
>>
>>8022506

They're boneless steaks.

So based on your advice I will:

Dry then season the steaks whilst the pan is heating up.

Throw the steaks in the pan, searing on both sides.

Lower the gas to half and leave for 5 minutes.

leave to rest before serving.

Alternatively, I'd like the steak to not be cold when we're eating, so if the steak is resting after being on half gas, is it not wiser then to finish them in the oven?
>>
>>8022521

See I once had really good steak cooked for me and the person prepared them in this way, leaving the salt/garlic/pepper for an hour or so before cooking.

I also have been given steak been garlic'd to hell and back so pretty put off using it for these steaks.
>>
>>8022535
They don't have to sit so long that they get cold, less than 10 minutes is best
>>
The salt would also dry the steaks if i'm not mistaken.
>>
>>8022535

When you rest a steak you want it to cool down a little bit, not cool down completely. Just take it off the heat and let it sit at room temp for a few minutes--5 min is usually good.

The oven doesn't replace resting, it replaces the lower-heat period in the pan. The basic process is:
1) sear the outside. this creates the malliard reaction, which tastes good.
2) cooking the inside thru to your desired level of doneness
3) resting, so that when you cut into the steak the juices don't all run out.

Either:
sear--low heat in pan--rest
or
sear--finish in oven--rest
>>
>>8022543

That will go cold my man
>>
>>8022498
did this the other day, very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxF1n96cpHU
>>
>>8022535
let it rest 5 mins wrapped in tinfoil
>>
>>8022561

Ho damn his face did not enjoy that steak (I bet he over garlic'd it lol) but damn I am excited after watching that. Wouldn't have thought to turn the steaks on their side to cook the rind so that's good.

I just unwrapped the steaks now, dried them, salted peppered and lightly basted with oil. Then leaving it as that for an hour or so before proceeding with the searing.

shyeaaaaaaah, hopefully our stomachs thank y'all.
>>
>>8022593
after the steak finished i added more butter and fried some mushrooms in the juices, garlic and thyme
>>
>>8022498
All solid advice so far ITT, one trick after patting the meat dry is to pop it in the freezer for a bit, ~ 10 - 15 min (depending on how hardcore your freezer is), this produces a better crust. Myself I prefer just s&p for seasoning, but an herb butter or bernaise sauce is a nice touch, "guilding the lily," if you will. As well as making a pan sauce of shrooms, shallot or onion, cream wine etc. as suggested above. And don't wrap the steak in foil as it rests, just "tent" (loosely cover) it.
>>
>>8022598

Got freshly picked runner beans - purple and green

and sweet potato gonna rinse with butter too and milk probably got some mushrooms too i'm fucking salivating so EXCIIIIITED FOR THIS!

>>8022618

Cheers brother I don't even own tin foil so thats dandy lol yes to onions ofc and no wine i'll end up drinking it instead eh
>>
>>8022665

I am not satan I swears t
>>
>>8022521
But salting it for so long allows the salt to draw out a lot of moisture from within the meat.

Leaving it out for an hour at least is great. Just don't season it until you're ready to cook.
>>
>>8022681

It's too late brother its happening
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.