[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campfire cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: campfire-cooking.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
campfire-cooking.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
Hey coo/ck/s!

Going camping soonish. I'm looking for recipes that'd be easy to cook while there (Non-refrigerated items, no oven, ...).
I have access to pots and pans.

I already thought of doing these:

- Pancakes
- Eggs
- Pasta

Any suggestions?
>>
>>801459
Cover things in foil and cook them in the embers
>>
>>8014591
-Bring fishing gear and roast the catch with some leeks, lemon and salt. You can use branches/twigs from trees to tie the fish together so the filling don't fall out.
-make stuffed peppers with lentil filling (or something else which doesn't turn toxic in room temp) and roast them on camp fire.
-Bring flour mixed with pumpkin spices, dried fruit and nuts in a bag. When in camp mix water in the bag to form a semi-wet dough. Wrap it on a stick and roast it on fire to make stick bread.
-Whole apples and a spice mix on the side. Wrap in tin foil with spices and roast
>Whole root vegetables wrapped in foil. Put them on the fire and them them roast until tender.
>Small pies with firm closed casing to reheat on the fire. Even meat filling is fine in room/outside temp for a day or two.
>>
Freeze some cheap five dollar steaks and cook them on the first day
>>
potatoes
>>
>>8015062

This. People assume you can't take frozen food camping. You CAN, you just have to realize that it won't stay frozen for many days. But you certainly can freeze food and then take it with out. And if you wrap your frozen food in something insulating (like some extra clothing in your pack) then you can keep it good for a couple of days.
>>
>>8015072

I've had steak cooked over a campfire in a grill basket with pre cooked shrimp after a six hour canoe trip before, it blew my fucking mind how delicious it was
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damper_(food)

australia's only culinary contribution to the world.

you can knock up a stew with some potatoes and meat easily. take a cooler. or catch a rabbit or fish.
>>
I usually bring some of those pre cooked sausages you can get at Walmart with buns and some condiment packets stolen from a fast food counter.

The buns get crushed in the bag but they still taste good, just stab a stick in a sausage and get it sizzling over the fire and you're good to go.

The package says to keep them refrigerated but I've ate them on day 3 before and I'm not dead
>>
>>8015097
>those pre cooked sausages you can get at Walmart

Yeah, those things are so loaded with salt and preservatives they'd probably last a decade.
>>
So many terrible ideas ITT. The only real way to camping cook is to use a huge dutch oven to cook a stew/chili and keep it hot as long as it takes to eat it.
>>
>>8015110
>huge dutch oven
>>camping

Let me guess. Your "campsite" has electrical power and a flush toilet, right? And you can drive your car right up to it too?
>>
>>8015110

He didn't explicitly say he was car camping so I've been erring on the side of something you can carry on a six hour hike
>>
>>8015124
>if you don't hike 40 miles to your site you're not camping
I want /out/ to get /out/
>>
File: dutch-oven.jpg (618KB, 1166x778px) Image search: [Google]
dutch-oven.jpg
618KB, 1166x778px
>>8014591
First:
Car camping or hiking?

I will assume car camping because of the pots and pans.

Get a dutch oven if you can. It's a joy to have and will make you anything from roast chicken over stews and curries all the way to bread. It's kept next to the fire and heated with embers on top and below. Or you can hang it over the fire. The lid doubles as a pan. It's my greatest camp kitchen possession.

Bring a chain with hooks and make a tripod to regulate heat. Have a few bowls ready and bring a plastic tub if you have one, vessels are always in short supply around the camp fire.

Plan out your meals. If you don't want to have to drive to the store every day you have to consider what perishes how quickly. I always take a powered beer cooler which uses a thermocouple and a fan. It can run on the grid, a car plug, or a solar cell. It's not a fridge, but it gives you a day, especially if you fill the bottom with frozen juice boxes or pancake sandwiches.

You will always enjoy barbecue with baked potatoes and a salad. Make sure you bring vinegar, salt, and sugar. As soon as someone has meat on the grill no one in range of the aroma will enjoy their pasta or stew. Wrap sliced veggies in foil with some oil or cheese for a nice side. And put yogurt or sour cream on the potatoes.

If you use dried meats you can make decent stew or chili even weeks into the wilderness. Canned tomatoes and beans keep years, as does jerky or biltong. Just don't salt it, there's plenty of salt in it already.

I really like stew. Meat on the bone and veggies on low heat for hours and hours, that just conveys making camp. I add fresh veggies before serving because the carrot, leek, parsley root, and celery root I boil it with turn to sauce. Fry a few spoons of flour with butter without browning it before you start the stew and put it aside to thicken as needed later.

Bring lots of snacks but mind the wrappers. Living outside is much more active and you may find yourself hungry again quickly.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.