[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

smoker electric vs propane vs charcoal/pellet`

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

So what kinda smoker do I want?
I'm a big fan of math in cooking so I'm thinking that an electric smoker or propane based electronic smoker would be my best bet.
The reasoning being that heating from coal would be less predictable. I'm thinking the most predictable would be electric+pellet?
How does /ck/ smoke?
>>
I'd learn to do it right with a charcoal smoker, the electric ones are expensive as fuck and a lot of them have QC issues. I bought my dad am electric one for Christmas and the reported temperature that it uses to control the heat is 30-50 degrees higher than it really is so it's basically a food poisoning machine
>>
>>8014258
I already have my own temp sensor.
>>
>>8014267

the problem in this case is that you can't dial the smoker higher than 190-200 degrees-ish because the 10 setting is only 250 degrees
>>
wood > charcoal >>>> electric
>>
How the fuck do you control temp with charcoal without dying of smoke inhalation?
>>
>>8014279
The one I already bought for my dad goes to 225-250, I believe it gets there or close.
>>
electric is fine if commercial restaurants use it and they do
>>
>>8014251
My recommendation is always a charcoal smoker. The flavour is so much better, and it also doubles up nicely as a BBQ. Electric is more precise, but the flavour isn't anywhere near as nice.

The biggest problem with charcoal burners is temperature control. What I found helps is to marinate the meat for at least 24 hours in the fridge, and then put in the freezer for 1-2 hours before smoking. Get the chracoal nice then give it a couple of sprays of water, then dumpin your smoking material. Close the vents and dump the lid on and leave it for a couple of hours. Don't go overboard with the charcoal, you don't need a lot, at most 2 handfuls is enough.

>>8014285
Woodcan can still be used in a charcoal smoker. I use a combination of maple, hickory, and apple wood when I smoke.
>>8014288
Spray water on the coals through the side port using a fine mister.
>>
>>8014325
Exactly what I'm talking about, charcoal is going to have far too much variance to do a set and forget journal of smoking.
>>
>>8014328
>charcoal is going to have far too much variance to do a set and forget journal of smoking
Not really. In the beginning there was a bit of experimentation, which was fun, but now I just chuck it all in and go drink for a couple hours. No need to constantly check it or anything. It's really not as hard as you might think.
>>
File: Baconv2.jpg (646KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Baconv2.jpg
646KB, 1632x1224px
>>8014251
I primarily use a masterbuilt electric. Yes it won't perfectly match a charcoal smoker, but with all of the homemade bacon, pastrami and pulled pork I've made without a complaint, I honestly don't think it's all that big of a deal. So many folks don't experience smoked meat outside of a restaurant so when they actually get their hands on it, it tastes amazing either way. It's just so much easier to use an electric despite their reliability issues, that I'll be sticking with them for a while.

I'm really curious to see how those electric Pellet smokers from Traeger perform, though i'm not to keen on being wedded to pellets.
>>
gonna build a double barrel type with beer kegs as a upgrade to my kettle will post pics when i get around to doing it
>>
>>8014251
I would do some research and find the best electric smoker I could afford, then do more research and build a modest wood smoker.
>>
>>8014251

I have an electric smoker, because the only outdoor space I have is on my roof.

If you get an electric one, I would recommend getting a PID or other temperature controller, or one that has that type of sensor built in - it makes a huge difference in the final product.

There are some very nice, very well built electric smokers - but they are mostly made by tiny companies. The major difference compared to ones you find in hardware stores is they are extremely well insulated and they tend to be made out of stainless steel.
>>
>>8014360
I use a Materbuilt 40 with an AMAZN pellet smoke generator. Much better than the shitty wood tray that relies on smoker temp to generate smoke.
>>
The one that cooks meat perfectly ,while you watch your wifes daughter getting fucked by an african american.
>>
>>8014288
PID temperature controller.
I made mine for about £25
It hold to about +/- 2°C for about 2.5 - 3 hours (which is how long the charcoal in my small kettle bbq lasts for before it needs another chimney full).
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.