[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kettle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

File: kettle.jpg (23KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
kettle.jpg
23KB, 600x500px
Do you have an electric kettle?
If not -- why not?
>>
Yes, because I'm Australian and everyone in Australia has one. I use it daily. It boggled me when I learnt it's a weird thing to have in the US.
>>
In burgerland they don't work as well BC we use lower voltage
>>
>>7987985
I work at a hotel in the US.
A Brit guest left one behind when he checked out and nobody else working could figure out what it was. My coworker thought it was a coffee maker, like Keurig.

Guest didn't care so I took it home but I have never used it before, I still use the microwave or stovetop to heat water for teas.
>>
>>7987997
>microwave for heating water
That's one of the weirdest things I've heard
>>
>>7987990

Finally, and explanation that actually makes sense.

Every house in the UK has one of them, I thought it was a meme on here at first when you read about someone heating water in a microwave or on a cooker instead.
>>
>>7987988

second, you would be weird here if you didn't have one here
>>
>>7987999
The hot cocoa directions recommended this method, has worked fine ever since.
>>
>>7988000

Surely it'd be up to the wattage though, not the voltage?

I think the fact they don't drink much tea and they drink drip coffee which is ostensibly a kettle itself is probably a better answer.
>>
>>7988008
you drink electricity then
>>
>>7988008
>>7988000
>>7987990

Its a

~~combination of factors~~
>>
>>7988015
THIS IS A LIE.
>>
i have a steel stove top kettle because i don't like cooking with plastic
>>
>>7988050
You can get metal electric kettles.
>>
>>7988056
maybe one day

mine works fine for now
>>
>>7987990
How would a vacuum cleaner work in the US then?
A vacuum cleaner uses at least as much power as an electric kettle.
It's not voltage, but power that counts.
>>
>>7987985
No.
I thought I was a jeenius and boiled milk in mine and destroyed it.
There was a thread about it last week.
>>
>>7988079
And it is easier to deliver power efficiently to water at 240v as opposed to 110. It takes about twice as long to boil water in American electric kettles. Plenty of articles on the subject, Google it if you must
>>
File: 1465252128806.png (78KB, 287x589px) Image search: [Google]
1465252128806.png
78KB, 287x589px
>>7987985
How the fuck can anyone exist without an electric kettle?
>>
>>7988079
>Americans
>Cleaning their houses
Why do you thing they wear shoes indoors?
>>
>>7988079
>How would a vacuum cleaner work in the US then?

Same as they work anywhere else. An electric kettle uses much more energy than a vacuum cleaner does.

>It's not voltage, but power that counts.

Indeed. But because both countries have the same amp capacity circuit breaker, that means the UK version can be up to twice as powerful.
US: 120 Volts x 15 amp breaker = 1800 watts max before the breaker trips.

UK: 240 V x 15 amp = 3600 watts max.

You can easily confirm this with Google. Look at US models of electric kettles. They're around 1200 watts on average. Now look at UK models: they're often above 2000 watts.
>>
>>7988108
bullshit...im one of a few americans that has one. It takes the same amount of time you dumb fucks
>>
>>7989221
don't forget. It doesnt take much energy to make water boil... 100C...we have electric induction cookers that far exceed that
>>
Completely pointless unitasker if you don't drink tea 10 times a day or you're not living in a dorm and eating ramen for every meal.
>>
>>7989451
not pointless at all. Your just another one of the americans we are ashamed of
>>
>>7989451
>Completely pointless unitasker
You know what an oxymoron is?
>>
>>7989449
>don't forget. It doesnt take much energy to make water boil.

Actually that's wrong. Water has one of the highest specific heat capacities of common materials. It takes quite a lot of energy to heat water compared to other common materials.

>>.. 100C...
that's a temperature, not an amount of energy. You do know the difference between power and energy, right?
>>
>>7989461

Do you know what a unitasker is?
>>
>>7989477

Do we really have to explain to your dumb ass that the term "pointless unitasker" is an oxymoron, because clearly the "unitasker" does indeed have a point--the "task" it is meant to perform.

either it's pointless or it's a unitasker. But it can't be both.
>>
>>7987985
Electric kettles are a must have here in Russia, massive tea culture. Never knew that Americans don't use them.

Do Clapistani hotel rooms have kettles? I have never stayed somewhere that doesn't supply a kettle for tea/coffee. I would complain if the room didn't have one.
>>
>>7989451
Yup. Being able to boil water quickly is completely pointless. I can't think of any situation where that would be useful.
>>
Murrican here. Why not just put water in a regular kettle and heat it up on the stove?
Do electric kettles take less time or something?
>>
>>7989492

Okay, I guess you don't understand why "unitasker" is a derogatory term...

A unitasker is a tool that does exactly one thing, in this case boil water, that other tools that can accomplish many other tasks can also do. Hence it is redundant, and therefore pointless. If you own a stove, a hot plate, or even a microwave, there is literally no point in buying an electric kettle.
>>
>>7989504
>Do Clapistani hotel rooms have kettles?

I travel on business pretty often and I rarely see them. However, they do usually have a coffee maker provided, with coffee as well as tea. If you want hot water for tea you just operate the coffee maker without putting any coffee in it.

There isn't much of a tea culture in the US, unless you count the US south and it's super-sugary "sweet tea". That's a cold drink.
>>
I would like one for coffee but finding one that is all metal and not ass expensive is s pain.
>>
>>7989515
>Hence it is redundant

Oh, I get that 100%.

>>pointless
No, it has a point. Boiling water.

The reason why people choose to buy electric kettles is because it's faster and less effort than using the alternatives. Sort of like using a toaster instead of using your oven or range to make toast, or a rice cooker instead of cooking your rice in a pot.
>>
>>7989513

>do electric kettles take less time or something

Marginally, but apparently Bongs are too stupid to set a timer 2 minutes before tea time and use a regular kettle on the stove top.
>>
>>7989477
Yes.
It has a purpose.
Therefore, it is not pointless.
You are educationally sub-normal.
Goodbye.
>>
>>7989504
They have those coffee pots you can boil water in. Most offices I work at now have hot water dispensers and/or Keurigs which also have that feature. But I work with a lot of Asians and Russians (IT dept) so we might be a bit different.
>>
>>7987985
>Do you have an electric kettle?

Not yet, but I plan on buying one of these very soon. It seems very versatile and worth the investment.

Just using good ol' stove top kettle for now.
>>
>>7987985

Yes as well as the kind that goes on the stove. Most of Canada and the US is like this.

On 120v they both boil water at pretty much the same rate. Or close enough that it doesn't matter to me but I guess the UK can't wait an extra 15 seconds for hot water.

Just because you CAN pull 3600 watts from a socket doesn't mean your made in China kettle will necessarily draw that much.

I guess you guys got powerful kettles going for you, which is nice. I know you don't get to brag about a lot of things.
>>
File: f-h300-4[1].jpg (50KB, 811x575px) Image search: [Google]
f-h300-4[1].jpg
50KB, 811x575px
>>7987988

Many people in America have an instant hot water tap built into their kitchen sink.
>>
>>7989517
>>7989531
No real point having a kettle then if the coffee machine can just boil the water on the off chance someone isn't drinking coffee. I had never thought of using a coffee machine that way before.
>>
yeah I got one but I don't use it. There's never any need for it
>>
>>7989510

>i can't think of any situation where that would be useful

List a few of those situations. (If we were talking about large amounts of water it would be a different story.)
>>
American here, I keep a glass electric kettle and a Keurig on my desk. I have a large selection of teas and coffees in my desk.

I don't drink Soda
I don't drink beer
I don't drink pop
or any of these here
I drink floride
>>
>>7989546
boiling water =/= hot tap water.
>>
>>7989615

We know. Look more carefully at the picture. It's not the main faucet, it's a separate one plumbed into a small flash heater. It does produce boiling water.
>>
>>7989615

It's exactly the same as an electric kettle, just built in.
>>
>>7989626

...and instant.
>>
>britcucks are so retarded that they spend extra money on a water boiling machine
I have a steel stove top kettle that was $30, and even that is an unnecessary luxury. You guys know you can just boil water in a small pot right?
>>
>>7989527
>marginally
Actually I guess (yes, only guess) that boiling one liter of water in the electric kettle is done about in 1/3 or even 1/4 of the time it takes to boil it on an electric stove in a metallic pot.
>>
>>7989641
>$30, and
You never preface the word "and" with a comma.
Retard.
>>
>>7989525

>like using a toaster instead of using your oven or range to make toast, or a rice cooker instead of cooking your rice in a pot

A rice cooker makes perfect rice every time at the push of a button. Boiled water is literally boiled water, so all you're doing is saving maybe two minutes.

A toaster is useful because you don't need to add fat to do it like you do on the stove or waste a bunch of energy heating up your oven just to make a piece of toast.
>>
>>7989546
Which is not fit for consumption.
>>
>>7989682

Where do you get the water from that put in your electric kettle, dumbshit?
>>
File: 5672356.jpg (38KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
5672356.jpg
38KB, 540x960px
Don't need it when I can get a instant hot water from my purifier.
>>
>>7989686
Evian.
You don't drink tap water do you, you fucking plebeian?
>>
>>7989670

Sure you can--for two different reasons.

1) Using the comma to indicate a short pause, which is exactly what >>7989641 did, and what I am doing right now.

2) In the context of a list:
>>Chef John began cramming the produce into his colon. The rutabaga went first. It was soon followed by the turnip, cucumber, and the kiwano.
>>
>>7988008
nigs, you don't know shit about electrical power.

Amperage is fixed by the fuse or breaker, and voltage is fixed by the electrical supplier.

If you run the same amperage (13 amps is common for most UK electricals), but reduce the voltage, you reduce the power (watts)

With a 13 amp, 240v UK supply you can draw just over 3kw.
With a yankie cuckold 120v supply you can draw 1.5 kw on the same amperage.
>>
>>7989680
I like your reasoning there. But, I want to add that a toaster-oven is an even more useful piece of equipment. Bigger, but, like with not wanting to heat up an oven for toast, you can also ignore pre-heating for frozen nuggets, corn dogs, whatever. Also, day-after pizza is better than when microwaved.
>>
>>7989546
who the fuck makes tea from the hot tap?
Disgusting
>>
>>7989449
>Our induction cookers far exceed 100 degree celcius.

You what?
>>
>>7989670
>britcuck education
No wonder you guys waste money on water boilers over there.
>>
>>7989696
>not having a two stage filtration system
>not having a reverse osmosis system with UV as well
>not flushing your toilets with water that's cleaner than most bottled water
Plebeian indeed
>>
>>7989696
No idea where you live, and no idea where the other guy is from...
But here in Germany tap water is actually more regulated and cleaner than any bottled water you can buy.
If it is not perfect, then it is because of the pipes in your own house.
Otherwise tap water here is cleaner and better than any you can buy for 10 times the price. I ONLY drink tap water. Bottled water only when I want it sparkling.
Bottled water is for plebs, especially in plastic bottles.
>>
File: a40.jpg (33KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
a40.jpg
33KB, 450x450px
>>7989696
>3rd worlders think all water faucets in America spew the disease ridden sludge that they get in their country
AMERICA WINS AGAIN
>>
>>7989734
Why do you even care?
You wouldn't be.....Jealous would you?
>>
>>7989738
>But here in Germany tap water is actually more regulated and cleaner than any bottled water you can buy.

Same is true in the US. The safety standards for tap water are much more stringent than the standards that apply to a bottled beverage.

Though that said, it's typical practice to use cold water to cook with. The reason you use cold and hot hot water has nothing to do with the safety of the water itself. Rather it has to do with the taste. Hot water leaches minerals from the pipes between the water heater and the faucet. The water heater also tends to accumulate scale and mineral deposits inside it which can also make food taste off. So standard practice is to fill up your coffeemaker, stock pot, whatever, from the cold tap rather than the hot tap.

But all of this is besides the point, because the system pictured in >>7989546 is not the normal hot tap. It's a separate water boiler that dispenses boiling hot water, just like from a kettle. Look carefully at the pic. It's a standalone 2nd faucet, not the main "hot tap".
>>
>>7989740
>AMERICA WINS AGAIN
t. vietnam
>>
>>7989740
It depends on your pipes. If you have an older pre-war infrastructure (which is common out east) drinking hot water from those pipes are not a good idea.
>>
>>7989747
Do you have brain damage? You know we can buy electric kettles here, don't you? They are just a waste of both money and space.
>>
burger here, I have a shitty one but want a glass one with variable temperature for my oolong. Would be much better than using my kitchen thermometer.
>>
>>7989756
and a coffee percolator is a totally reasonable item to have?

The electric toaster, waffle iron, microwave, rice cooker, crook pot, kitchen aid, food processor, blender.... all are also just a waste of money and space.
>>
File: 20amp.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
20amp.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>>7989767

We don't live in shoeboxes and actually have storage space, also all that shit costs under a grand.

Also bitches don't know 'bout my 20 amp receptacles.
>>
File: 'ic 'le.jpg (394KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
'ic 'le.jpg
394KB, 1296x968px
MYTH BUSTED
>>
>>7989767
>and a coffee percolator is a totally reasonable item to have?

For the average American? Yes. Most of us drink shitty drip coffee, and most of us do not drink tea.

>>....all are also just a waste of money and space.

Yes, you're right. Most of those are a waste of money and space for the average American. Most of us don't cook much. Sad? Yes. But true.
>>
>>7989784
>he doesn't have the best electricity delivery system in the world
your 20A receptacles still deliver less power than my 240V 15A sockets and they are far more likely to kill you.
>>
File: 1440978445587.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1440978445587.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>7989767
>one is an item that boils water and makes coffee
>one only boils water, something that can be done easily on the stove

>toaster
Uses less energy and is faster than using your oven

>waffle iron
Unitasker, sure. But is the easiest way to make waffles.

>microwave
Come on, don't be retarded. Microwaves heat things up extremely quick and are ideal for certain foods (mainly frozen crap like hot pockets)

>rice cooker
Literally one button and it makes perfect rice while you make the rest of the meal. It's really only useful if you eat rice a lot. Can also make delicious pancakes.

>crock pot
I don't own one anymore, but they're useful for bringing food to a potluck and for making chili. Can even make a full pot of chili or a roast while you're at work.

>kitchen aid, food processor, blender
Refer to my picture
>>
>>7989788
Do you have brain damage? Its just a waste of both money and space.

You must not have heard that other guy.
>>
>>7989807
>your 20A receptacles still deliver less power than my 240V 15A sockets
Correct.

>>and they are far more likely to kill you.
Incorrect. Backwards, actually.
>>
>>7989810
>man-in-hole-with-a-shovel.png
>>
>>7989814
>Its just a waste of both money and space.

Yes, that's what I was explaining. For the avg. American it's pointless because we don't drink enough tea to justify it.
>>
>>7989816
https://youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q
>>
>>7989828
Probably not better than all other plugs.
But certainly better than most pin plugs.
>>
>>7989821
>man-with-no-arguments-left-grasping-at-straws.jpg
>>
>>7989689
>cuckoo
>>
>>7989840
you're pathetic
>>
>>7989834
but it is better than all plugs. there are only a few designs of plugs used worldwide and the British is categorically the one with the best and most numerous safety features.
>>
>>7989807

Oooo an extra 700 watts, you guys are so technologically advanced.

Too bad your houses are cucked by a 50 amp main service while North American homes have 200 or 400 amp services and some acreages have 600v 3 phase power.
>>
File: 1359836036480.jpg (25KB, 350x452px) Image search: [Google]
1359836036480.jpg
25KB, 350x452px
>>7989850
You're still failing to refute my points
>>
>>7989670
Every heard of oxford comma?
>>
>>7989860
>pulling numbers out of your arse
most American homes have around a 150A supply which is barely more wattage than ours and much more dangerous.
Wooden houses + high amperage are a bad combination friendo.
>>
File: wink.jpg (38KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
wink.jpg
38KB, 150x150px
>>7989536
Hey, that's the one I'm thinking about buying!

'Til then, I'm conforming to the stereotype of microwaving my water in a Pyrex measuring cup.
>>
>>7989696

I don't understand why people are proud to live in a place where the tap water doesn't taste good.
>>
File: 4230429_R_Z001.jpg (10KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
4230429_R_Z001.jpg
10KB, 312x312px
>>7987985

I have one of these, brings a single mug of water to the boil in under 30 seconds. Which is fast enough for me.

If I wasn't a poorfag I'd love a Quooker fusion, which is a combi of normal/hot/boiling water tap (with vacuum insulated reservoir). Alas, I am.
>>
>>7987985
Yes, but rarely use it.
>>
>>7988000
That's not really why. I've used a bunch of elec kettles in different houses, and they boil water plenty fast enough to make them useful, despite our voltage differences.

Our lack of elec. kettles has to be mostly because of our lack of hot tea culture. Making tea is their main purpose, so absent that, there's not so much point. Otherwise, people tend not to eat enough instant oatmeal and noodles and whatever else you might use them for.

I have an elec. kettle because I love loose leaf tea, but there'd be little point in having one otherwise. If we could find actual stats, I'd wager the frequency of elec. kettle ownership correlates highly with tea consumption.
>>
>>7988000

>finally, and explanation that actually makes sense

How the fuck is, "americans seldom drink tea" not an explanation that makes sense? Do you really not understand that not everyone else in the world sucks down tea 16 hours out of the day?
>>
>>7989670
lel you kidding me?

You literally HAVE to use a comma before and with an independent clause follows and. And many or most usage guides and other authorities recommend using the serial/Oxford comma.
>>
>>7989699
no, the comma was not to indicate a pause there. It was to properly separate independent clauses. Both parts of that sentence were complete sentences themselves, so you have to separate with a semicolon, comma+and/but/or, or a full stop.
>>
>>7987985
Trump is advocating a new political policy that would automatically revoke citizenship from Americans who buys or owns an electric "kettle".

I support this 100%.
>>
>>7990399

You realize everything Trump says is just for attention/entertainment value, right? None of it has any basis in reality, and he's never going to be president or has any plans to make any of his bullshit a reality. People do realize this? That it's all just him talking out of his ass?
>>
>>7990099
Does this do anything else? or just boil water quickly?
>>
File: book.jpg (10KB, 244x207px) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
10KB, 244x207px
>>7990392
> It was to properly separate independent clauses.
I think you mean: "It was properly to separate independent clauses."

I really wish that the uneducated could find another website on which to post.
>>
>>7987985
Yes, Im from Argentina and some even have a "mate option" which means that the water stop heating at 70ÂșC
>>
>>7990454
says increasingly nervous guy for the 6th time this year
>>
>>7990475
He's right, you're wrong.
>>
>>7990491
Right about what? His intentions in some argument about 5 or 10 posts up the page? Find someone who cares.
>>
>>7990505
Calm down, I was just saying.
>>
I have one, but I drink un-American amounts of tea and I rarely drink coffee. It takes about 8 minutes to reach a full boil for 1.7L of cold water.

Using water from a coffee machine will usually make tea taste like shit. Drip machines are also mostly plastic.

>>7990360
>>7990376
It's both, really. We don't drink as much tea so it isn't a priority. I would love to be able to boil water twice as fast.
>>
>>7990564

>takes about 8 minutes to reach a full boil for 1.7L of cold water

And that's enough water to make tea for around 8 people. Maybe try not filling the kettle up all the way every single time...
>>
I actually use kettle to heat up water when I'm about to cook stuff in a pot, as it saves a lot of time and energy. I can also easily get the exact temperature I want.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (7KB, 225x205px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
7KB, 225x205px
Yes.
Use it literally everyday.
For coffee and coffee related items.
>>
>>7990622
WV here, 8-10k elevation, water takes 3 minutes to boil any amount. Sucks to be you guys.
>>
>>7990622
I don't, but that was a reference for how long it can take. I can easily use half that amount of water just for myself though.
>>
>>7990703

>WV here
>something something something

No, anon. Sucks to be you.
>>
>>7990475
lol, it's perfectly grammatical to split infinitives. Look it up in any usage dictionary. That's a grad school myth that you can't, similar to the myth that you can't start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or).
>>
>>7987985
7~8 cup one I rarely use. I thought I'd like tea but it turns out I don't. The most it's used for nowadays is heating up water quickly to boil pasta so it only takes a minute or two on the burner instead of 10-12
>>
>>7990703
You do realize your boiling water is actually colder than normal elevation boiling water, and that's why it takes less time, right?

>West Virginia hick
I guess not.
>>
>>7987985
No.

Because I have pots that boil water just fine.
>>
>>7987985
yes because i am british and need it for my tea dust water
>>
>>7987985
I own that particular one

I love it

>>7987988
We really should have more of them, its an easy way to stop having sawdust Keurig or energy drinks
>>
>>7989449
you can heat water to 350C and it will stay in liquid state only if pressurize it ower 100kbar of course
>>
>>7989986
my main breaker is rated at 200amps and panel is fully loaded
>>
File: cpk-17c_xlg.jpg (436KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cpk-17c_xlg.jpg
436KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>7989536
I have it and it is worth it, it is way quieter than my old kettle which sounded like a jet engine. Only down side is that it only holds a liter and it is expensive.
>>
>>7987985
I'm not interested in worthless toys.
>>
Because they break
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.