[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dashi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 3184175997_d2b328346b.jpg (13KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
3184175997_d2b328346b.jpg
13KB, 320x272px
So what's the deal with boiling kelp? I've heard you're supposed to take it out before the water boils, while other recipes say to boil it for at least 10 minutes. I can't help but think you won't get much flavor with the first method, and my experience with the second method is that the kelp absorbs a lot of water if you boil it too long.
>>
>>7953521
it depends if you want good stock or optimally cooked kelp
>>
>>7953521
you boil the dashi for flavour and nutrients in the broth, you don't leave it in the soup. It's for making stock.

Soak for 30 minutes in room temp water, then bring up to just beginning to boil. Remove Dashi, add in your katsubushi, reduce to simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Strain stock through cheese cloth or muslin. You now have Nip Stock for Miso Soup/just about everything else (since it's the base of a lot of sauces)
>>
>>7953652
>>7953626
I understand you don't leave it in the soup. Normally I make stock with kelp and anchovies since there's a korean grocer nearby. Korean stock recipes say to boil for 10+ minutes and remove, but I've read dashi recipes that say to remove immediately after the water starts boiling. I'm just wondering about the pros and cons of each method.
>>
File: 20150205060506_thumb_720[1].jpg (366KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
20150205060506_thumb_720[1].jpg
366KB, 720x960px
>>
>>7953669
If you remove it just when the boil starts, you can re-use the dashi for a second stock. That extra 10 minutes probably uses it out. Up to you.
>>
>>7953521
when it boils for extended period of time, my understanding is this makes it bitter. I cook until boil then a minute or two more
>>
>>7953521
first method:ichiban dashi
second method:niban dashi
>>
>>7953521
The nips will take it out right before it boils so they can use it once more to make a different kind of stock. The first pass is more refined and has more umami flavors, the second is more cloudy but perfectly useable.

Koreans don't do this, they essentially make both at once in the same pot. Personally I go with the Korean method because having slightly cloudy stock that I'm about to dump a bunch of miso paste inside doesn't really phase me. Plus you can use less of the ingredients at a time
>>
File: ANE-11010-4[1].jpg (437KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ANE-11010-4[1].jpg
437KB, 1600x1600px
>>7953521
>>
>>7956127
That's actually what I do as well for my miso soup, since it's a bother to restore and I don't make use dashi that often. Cheers.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.