[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK, /ck/ explain: sometimes when I cook zucchini it gets totally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 365222-zucchini.jpg (31KB, 528x352px) Image search: [Google]
365222-zucchini.jpg
31KB, 528x352px
OK, /ck/ explain:
sometimes when I cook zucchini it gets totally bitter and tastes awful. Sometimes it does not. The effect doesn't seem to be dependant on freshness, certain type, etc. In fact I can't seem to find any rule for this.
pic related, I just got me some cool zucchinis and I fucking don't want the fuckers to turn bitter
>>
don't burn them then
>>
>>7949874
I don't. I only simmer them. See, the thing is that many zucchinis don't get bitter from exactly fucking same treatment.
>>
>>7949867
nothing you can do - it's a chemical that the fruit produces in response to environmental stresses.
Don't eat bitter courgettes, they can make you sick. Same goes for anything else in that family of fruits, like cucumbers and squashes.
>>
File: 9184.png (707KB, 872x481px) Image search: [Google]
9184.png
707KB, 872x481px
>>7949867

how do you cook them? what do you add?

I often don't understand the bitter vegetable thing until people start talking about obviously bitter stuff like bitter melon and some well known bitter salad ingredients.
>>
>>7949883
I just peel them, cut them and put on the pan, simmering in the water they let out. Sometimes there are tomatoes there already. later I may put other ingredients, but it doesn't matter already - if they were to turn bitter, they already would.

>>7949881
uh...
so are they bitter in the shop already or am I treating them wrong? what kind of stressor do you mean? any specific substance names?
>>
>>7949899
>bitter in the shop
Bitter in the ground

>what kind of stressor do you mean?
Soil pH, bad weather, insect/fungal attack.

>any specific substance names?
Cucurbitacins, although they have mainly been bred out of commercial crops (in high concentrations) they do find their way back in from time to time. They're possibly cytotoxic.
>>
>>7949883

quick blanch in hot water then season them up

if I'm making some baked wrap, I'll do thin slices or strips to the construction.
>>
>>7949952
thanks a lot mate.
So I take it nothing can be done, eh?
can I at least taste them in the raw plant?
>>
>>7949973

yeah you can eat it raw
>>
slice it thin, salt it, and lay it flat for a few minutes to drain out the liquid, like you would with an aubergine
>>
>>7949973
I'd assume so. I can't say I've ever experienced a bitter courgette.
Just a thought, there might be something going on here similar to Phenylthiocarbamide. It's a chemical that only some people can taste and appears to be genetic.
>>
>>7949989
is it this stinky stuff from asparagus? well, it's not the case. my friends have similar experiences with tasting this and also most of the zucchini are fine for me to eat.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.