[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you pick up berries in your local forest ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 30

File: image.jpg (719KB, 2280x1725px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
719KB, 2280x1725px
Do you pick up berries in your local forest ?
>>
No. Pollution.
>>
>>7934507
yes

cos finland
>>
>>7934507
Top secret information.
>>
>>7934507
Never in parks in the city, but the ones on the outskirts are fine
>>
Yep. I make gallons of juice from serviceberries, chokecherries, and crabapples each year.
>>
nah. i might cross someone in the process.
>>
>>7934507
I live in Kansas, we don't have forests.
>>
>>7934507
Too many WaitAMinute vines in my local forest areas. Not really worth it to get stuck in possible sumac or poison oak.
>>
>>7934639
>juice
why you not turnin that juice into wine?
>>
>>7934716
I turn the juice into lots of things. Pancake syrup, jelly, cocktail mixer and melomels. But not wine because I don't like wine.
>>
>>7934507
No, but only because I'm terrified of insect larva.
>>
>>7934716
Waste of juice. Then again, juice is already waste of blueberries.
>>
I enjoy living.
>>
>>7934803
I'm not juicing blueberries. I'm juicing serviceberries, which are very seedy and not very good on their own. The same with the other fruit I juice.
>>
File: large_bilberry[1].jpg (94KB, 800x525px) Image search: [Google]
large_bilberry[1].jpg
94KB, 800x525px
>>7934507

I just came home from picking bilberries here in Norway.

They're a world away from the regular blueberries you get in the store here.

Bilberries are sweeter, more nutritious, and they leave a dank purple color on your fingers, clothes and tongue.

2013 was a WAY better season, though. Back then they were massive and grew all over the place with a really high density, and none of them were deformed or wrinkly.

This year is quite a bit worse. A bit below standard. They're still delicious, but take way longer to pick because they don't grow nearly as densely this year.
>>
>>7935015
Foraging is always pretty variable where I'm at too (Rocky Mtns). In 2014 there were lots of apples, but none last year and few this year. Last year was bad for chokecherries too. This year we had a wet spring, so chokecherries and serviceberries are abundant. The wet ruined the thornapples, but I pick few of them anyway. This year is going to be excellent for crabapples though. The trees are loaded with green fruit.
>>
File: gfcdjcjkhjolk.jpg (31KB, 336x324px) Image search: [Google]
gfcdjcjkhjolk.jpg
31KB, 336x324px
>berry pickers
>>
the blackberries are already coming through here (south-west uk). i'm glad, fuck summer

i don't go to a forest tho - there are blackberry bushes everywhere in the city.
>>
>>7935015
>Bilberries are sweeter, more nutritious, and they leave a dank purple color on your fingers, clothes and tongue.
So they are just blue berries
>>
>>7935117

Blueberries aren't the same berry. Blueberries are green and dry on the inside, while bilberries are red and juicy on the inside.
>>
>>7935134
>Blueberries aren't the same berry
They essentially are
all the differences you're listing are negligible
blue berries aren't dry and they still stain your hands should you burst one open and especially when you cook them
even if you think they are sweeter, that really just depends on the season because blue berries aren't known for being anything but sweet
Looking at the nutritional value, there's no real difference besides the fact that blue berries are better documented

They are very close relatives anyway
>>
I own some woodland and there's a bunch of wild raspberries plant there. It's pretty fun to go pick some of them every once in a while.
>>
>>7934507

Wild blackberries are fairly common around here, so around this time I'll make runs to a few spots I know of to pick them. Never get enough to actually cook much with them, but they're tasty eating regardless.
>>
I used to. I grew up in a really small town, and Saskatoon berries grew all over the place, especially the local lake. My sister and I would pick and eat them on walks, or we'd pick a ton and bake them into a pie.

I live in a city now, so wild berries are are scarce and I don't really trust them.
>>
>>7934507
Nah, I pay the minorities to do that.
>>
Nowhere to harvest stuff in Australia
>>
>>7935162
have you even tasted bilberries you autist

they are sweeter and juicier

american blueberries are fucking awful and a hundred times shittier than bilberries
>>
>>7935172
>I live in a city now, so wild berries are are scarce and I don't really trust them.

Just make sure you wash them thoroughly and then cook them in something else, like using them to make a sauce. That should take care of chemical contaminants and bacteria.
>>
>>7935162

There's a reason why I go out in the woods and pick bilberries instead of buying blueberries, and it's because I find bilberries much tastier. Blueberries are slightly bitter in comparison.
>>
picked a whole basket of blackcurrants, made some great jam and syrup. sadly i missed the elderflowers so this year no cordial or champagne. the wild strawberries in my garden mostly get eaten by wildlife but i still manage to get a few and the field behind my house is full of raspberries
>>
>>7935117
>>7935162
>>7935199
Theres a language barrier here i think.

Vaccinium myrtillus is the european blueberry, which americans refer to as bilberrys.

Vaccinium corymbosum is the american blueberry.
>>
>>7935528

Original bilberry poster here.

This is why I specifically said "bilberries", besides, "blueberries" don't grow in the wild here as far as I know.
>>
Raspberries and wild strawberries in Colorado. Can't grow them at the house because of birds. They're awesome when going on a hike in high country though. Fringe benefits.
>>
>>7935558

Do you meet a lot of dangerous wildlife in the forests in America? It seems less safe than it is here in Scandinavia.
>>
File: vlag.jpg (5KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
vlag.jpg
5KB, 340x340px
Wild berries are government property. Picking them is illegal and punishable by up to 800 euros or a month in jail.
>>
Has happened only when stoned.

>Getting munchies, man. I wonder if there are any berries out there?

t. Finland
>>
>>7935815
>government property

Not the land owner property? Seriously?
>>
>>7934507
no, never I'm way too afraid of confusing them with sheep or rabbit poo.
also fox tapeworm. they can crawl go into your eyes. no shit. google it.
>>
>>7935815

Oh, apparently only a few European countries have the freedom to roam.

Do Americans have that, or do they rely on national parks?

I don't have to give a shit here in Norway.

I think that's how it should be.
>>
>>7935115
>the blackberries are already coming through here (south-west uk)

I noticed that myself today. They're pretty damn early though so I'm going to wait a few weeks; the early ones are going to be sour.

Seedless blackberry jam this year, I think.
>>
>>7935820
What happens if you come across poisonous berries while stoned?
>>
>>7935870
Then you'll vomit and/or get the epic shits. No berries are poisonous to kill you easily. That's pretty much only fungi.
>>
>>7934507
Not really my area is much better for pecans anyway, and I honestly just harvest those from the huge bunch of trees by my house.
>>
>>7935558
Well there's bears and mountain lions. They're black bears though and aren't too scary. They know better. I'd cry if I saw a mountain lion though.
>>
>>7935775
I don't know about Colorado, but there's no dangerous animals where I live in the Midwest. There used to be wolves and cougars about 150 years ago, but they were removed. I recently read an article in the local news, though, about how conservationists are considering re-introducing cougars to the forests around here to help cull the deer population.
>>
>>7935845
People usually have plenty of land or know someone who does. America is huge, land is cheap, pick berries off your land. My parents have an acre or two and we get way more than enough blackcaps and black raspberries to make 12 cups or more of jam. We also get a handful of wild strawberries that are super tiny but super tasty.
>>
>>7935978
Indiana here, same.
Alaska or Wyoming might be dangerous, but most of the midwest is super safe.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Yes, plenty. They tend to have worms but I doubt it's unhealthy to eat them after putting them in the fridge for a day or two...

I picked this box in like 10 minutes, buying a similar amount at the grocery store would probably cost 5€ or more.
>>
>>7936103
I'm in southeast IN. That's where they want to bring cougars back. I guess the deer around here are getting out of control. Rising number of car wrecks and crops being eaten/flattened.
>>
File: image.jpg (845KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
845KB, 2592x1936px
>>7936346
I'm on a very strict diet atm and I'm pretty much living off these various fruits I'm picking on walks plus some cheap veggies and protein from the store...
>>
>>7934507
you have in that picture my childhood.
>>
>>7935978
Wolves are not dangerous to humans, bring them back. Don't know about cougars...
>>
When I was a kid I lived in a place with tons of wild blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries and blackberries. It was pretty awesome.

But then we moved, and there is nothing around here but Saskatoons which I hate.
>>
>>7936361
You can't just bring them back in large numbers. You'll destroy the ecosystem. Much like how the natives eradicated local wildlife and gave everyone syphilis.
>>
>>7936430
>You can't just bring them back in large numbers. You'll destroy the ecosystem
No more than the current ecosystem is being destroyed by huge populations of deer and other wolf prey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
>>
>>7936478
Predators have to be reintroduced in controlled numbers. We have this stuff down to a science. Purdue University is a good resource for this kind of thing. Deer, though they do destroy large swaths of flora, which can cause drastic environmental changes, are essential to maintaining a balance. This video doesn't touch on invasive species of plants, such as autumn olive, that would overrun portions of Yellowstone and alter the landscape if not for the deer consuming it in large quantities.
>>
File: jagodzianki.jpg (361KB, 2304x1536px) Image search: [Google]
jagodzianki.jpg
361KB, 2304x1536px
>>7934507

Yes, I make this shit out of them
>>
I am in too far south for blueberries, but i'll eat the shit out of some blackberries when i come across them
>>
>>7934507
>he doesnt hunt instead of gathering

top grag bo hahahaha
>>
Fuck I remember picking blackberries at summer camp as a kid. There was this one epic spot but the bush was in a huge ravine. So you had to mcgyver some ropes to hang over the bush and pick the best ones

Dat feel of eating so many berries till you throw up
>>
>>7935834
You can't tell the difference between a berry. That grows on a plant, vs a loose pellet that is a completely different color and is on the ground?

Kys
>>
>>7935066
sup /out/
>>
File: 20150817_143146.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150817_143146.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I got these fresh blueberries on the side of the road from some kids, I think this container was about $5. I live in Michigan's upper peninsula. I can't cook, so I just ate them all.
>>
It rained yesterday but today I'm gonna go out into the lake and go picking, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mint, etc. Normal maine stuff.
>>
>>7934507
plant a few currant bushes in your garden
almost no maintenance after they're grown up and FREE berries every summer
>>
>>7934507
I pick berries in my garden.
>>
>>7936998
I was up in the UP about a week ago. Blueberries are growing strong up there.
>>
>>7936755
>Not doing both
pleb
>>
>>7935880
It's not like most poisonous fungi kills you "easily", more commonly you only notice several days afterwards that your liver and kidneys are toast.
>>
>>7936691
I need this in and around my mouth.
>>
File: saskatoon.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
saskatoon.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
We pick my favourite berries every summer called Saskatoon berries. I don't get why they're not sold in stores. They are so fucking good
>>
File: IMG_20160731_155304.jpg (209KB, 1360x764px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160731_155304.jpg
209KB, 1360x764px
Just yesterday 3 Kg (hands not mine)

Today I intend to make http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/white-chocolate-cakelets-with-blackberry-cabe.html
Although it says to use Cabernet Vinegar and I have no idea which one is that, I have White wine vinegar and that's it.
>>7935851
>seedless
How?
>>
>>7937227
There are Blackberries everywhere I live, but I have no idea about blue ones, nuts are also something that grows, but in these later years they seem to easily disappear.

[spoiler]That is Maine[/spoiler] yeah not supported
>>
>>7937641
>seedless
>How?
straining
>>
fucking big blueberry shills at it again. onto you senpais
>>
>>7937719
I still dont get it how can you do that, considering how small they and the blackberries are.
>>
>>7937731
It's not a difficult concept.
>throw berries in a blender
>pulse
>dump berry mash into a strainer
>tap the strainer repeatedly over a bowl

I do this with raspberries.
>>
>>7934507
>local forest

i live in a first world country
>>
>>7936353
That sounds really nice!
>>
>>7934507
Yes I do. Norway here, I pick mostly blueberries and raspberries. My home town had raspberry farms all over the place back in the day so they grow wild all over.

I use the raspberries for making jam, and I also but 2 kg into a homebrew lambic sour this year.

The blueberries I make pie out of mostly because thats my fav!

>>7935015
Picked 5 kg the other week myself friendo!
>>
>>7934507
No chicago suburbs I looked into it we do have dedicate forest areas. Gave up bought a pound of elderberry especially off Amazon made jam.
>>
>>7934812
Worse you'll get is cramps if you eat something you don't know.
>>
>neighbor has like 3 apple trees in their front yard
>never pick them, leave them to rot to attract insects and animals

why even?
>>
>>7938194
Ask if you can pick or buy some.
>>
File: IMG_20160721_111943.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160721_111943.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
yes. there is a beautiful forest with a shitload of berries and mushrooms near my house
>>
File: _20160801_165752.jpg (825KB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
_20160801_165752.jpg
825KB, 2160x2160px
Some raspberries from the garden
>>
>>7938224
there is nothing in the world i want more right now
>>
>>7938224
I wish they would sell fresh raspberries down in the city square where I live. Ten kg's worth of blueberries isn't bad though.
>>
File: i-never-drink-wine[1].jpg (98KB, 570x309px) Image search: [Google]
i-never-drink-wine[1].jpg
98KB, 570x309px
>>7934791
>But not wine because I don't like wine.
>>
>raspberries and blackberries grow in backyard
Feels good man
>>
Just got back from foraging an old homestead. I got about 5 lbs rhubarb and about 3 cups tiny wild raspberries. Tomorrow I go back for red currants.

I've been taking care of these patches for a few years; weeding, pruning and feeding. It has rewarded me well.
>>
Does anyone here know the pain of picking gooseberries?
>>
>>7938891
What's so painful about it? We had three bushes when I was a kid.
>>
File: smile.jpg (19KB, 302x298px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
19KB, 302x298px
>>7938323
I know this feel
>>
>>7938323
Plus strawberries and blueberries.
>>
File: IMG_20160518_134432.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_134432.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
It's my hobby to collect berries, mushrooms, wild herbs, hunt game and fish pretty much erryday.

I love being finnish
>>
>>7938128
This
or cheese cloth after blender madness
>>
>>7938891
Do you know the pain of picking sea buckthorn? Totally worth it, though.
>>
>>7938128
>>7939062
Wild/home grown raspberry & blackberry seeds are usually so large that you can just pass it through a sieve with the back of a spoon (which is how I do it).
>>
>>7938891
No, but I know the healthy fear you feel when berry picking in bear country.
>>
>>7939198
But when you use a cheese cloth it looks like you're murdering a snowman :D
>>
>>7934507
I live in the US Deep South, so their are usually scuppernongs about.
>>
Fuck, I guess I'll have to go pick some bilberries this weekend...
>>
>>7934507
I pick cloudberries and arctic raspberries (#1 tastiest berry) in the forest.
>>
>>7935880
Baneberry cal kill if you eat a good handful. Good thing they don't taste good.
>>
>>7936348
Um, start hunting more females?
>>
File: 20160717_010621.jpg (882KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_010621.jpg
882KB, 2560x1440px
The mist has been strong here. But I pick blueberries, high bush and low bush cranberries and currants on a 200 acre plot. The bears are active early this fall, since winter is coming. But I'm not too worried, loud noises scare them off easily enough. The brown and black bears aren't too interested in humans to begin with. Lucky me I'm too far north for grizzlies and too far south for polar bears. Those two are mean and have no issue hunting people. Rather than that, crab Apples and chokecherries. I missed out on honey berries. But raspberries are good.
>>
>>7939501
We have those where I live. They come in red or white, the white ones are known as Dolls Eyes.
There is nothing edible that resembles Baneberry, so only an idiot stumbling through the forest eating everything they find would be in danger.

Now, there are things I won't eat because they resemble something potentially dangerous (four that look like wild carrot, two of them would make you very sick). But with just a little practice and studying, you can safely go berry picking.
>>
>>7939573
>There is nothing edible that resembles Baneberry

White or red?

I think a really stoned and dumb guy could mix the red ones for something edible.

I don't know any red berries that would grow in even slightly similar plant. Maybe elderberry, but those are really bad when eaten as is too. Then again, some people eat rowan berries too.
>>
>>7934507
>'straya
>berries
>forest
mate...
>>
>>7939573
Most cases are children. There's one other that grows in the area that I live, but I don't remember the name.
>>
>>7939546
calm down, Ben Hewitt
>>
>>7939181
I don't think it has any spikes, does it? I have three trees in my garden.
>>
>>7936764

> tfw can't even grow blackberries in the garden in Norway

At best I got a bunch of big completely unripe ones that didn't get to grow ripe before frost killed them.
>>
>>7939546
>pic
comfy/10
>>
Blackberries grow everywhere here, no need to go far. Running out of recipes for the damn things
>>
yes
switzerland
>>
>>7935199
American blueberries are awesome if eaten fresh. Your bilberries would be tasteless if shipped here.
>>
File: kebab-wurm.jpg (105KB, 595x822px) Image search: [Google]
kebab-wurm.jpg
105KB, 595x822px
this is what ppl itt gonna get
>>
No, it's all private property and since I live in the USA I'd probably get shot.
>>
>>7934507
Eh, I'll grab a bucket of whitebark raspberries from my parents property every other year or so. Usually I make syrup out of them for waffles or mixing into drinks.
>>
i just picked a random handfull of blackberries on my morning run. god i love washington.
>>
>>7939501

BANE?
>>
On that note is any of you berry-pickers also go mushroom hunting? In my country picking mushrooms in forests is a huge thing.
>>
>>7935199
The wild variety of blueberries are one of North American greatest foods. The type cultivated and grown farther south then say Connecticut are trash and best used as pig feed.
>>
>>7938221
Sweden?
>>
>>7934507

I own like 2 acres of forest but it has no berries.

shit's wack
>>
>>7941640
Plant some.
>>
Just went quickly looking for magic mushrooms but didn't find any.

I guess it's a bit too early, plus the ground around here is maybe too clayey for them.

t. Finland
>>
>>7938128
I did that and a lot of stuff remained in the strainer.

>>7939546
>you will never gather blueberries while fighting off bears in the mist
>>
>>7941791
sweden here

wait until september
>>
sometimes, can sell thimbleberries for a pretty good amount
>>
>>7935528
This is wrong, The billberries of The northernlands across the entire earth Are Vaccinium uliginosum

I just picked 5 US AMERICAN Gallons in a day.

Alaskan natives own the land everywhere here and its freee for everyone.

Only the insane white gold miners threaten to murder people for picking bilberries... I got a few threats since a man picking berries seems "suspicious" to them
>>
>>7934507
not the local but a forest.
>>7934516
suomi edustaa
>>
>>7941896
That's what they say, but I had my parents' place for myself to act as a basecamp so I gave it a try, for it has been a rainy summer and everything.

Found bunch of tussock grass too, but nothing inside. Saw like three in total of those small mushrooms that aren't magic but the other variety that grows in similar overgrown fields, so my judgement goes, maybe two or three weeks and they start to appear in greater numbers assuming the weather remains moist.
>>
>>7934507
ye, got like 4 liters of blueberries in the freezer
>>
>>7934507
Yes but in my back yard/field.
>>
File: mfw.gif (573KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
573KB, 500x273px
>>7934507
I've got a Raspberry patch growning in my yard Harvested it all: about 20 pounds

wild patch of Salmonberries completely harvested: 5 pounds

Patch of Loganberries still active: 15 pounds

Half a dozen bushes of huckleberries still active: 4 pounds

800 meters of blackberry bushes growing across the road untouched by other people and just coming in: 30 pounds and rising

My hands are fucking cut to shit. But this year I'm going to have a freezer packed with berries for blending, teas, jam, baking, and eating.
>>
>>7936478
Wolves were wiped out because they simply refuse to not kill livestock. In every time, in every continent. Different people. Different domesticated animals. Different cultures regarding nature. Different technology. It doesn't matter. Wolves are the only constant.
You reintroduce wolves within range of human settlements and humans will wipe them out yet again. It's been 10,000 years, learn to recognize a patter.
>>
>>7941053

Don't you have bilberries up in New England or something?
>>
>>7941640

You OWN forest? The fuck, how much does it cost?
>>
>>7943648
>Wolves were wiped out because they simply refuse to not kill livestock
You mean because humans started to gather large amounts of resources (livestock) on their territory?
Sure, wolves were eating live stock but humans kept pushing them further and further away from their habitat as well
>>
>>7945019
It doesn't have to be that expensive depending on where you live in the world. I'm just checking a small sample of available plots here in Sweden (which is an expensive country). We measure in hektar, so I hopefully found an accurate online converter here. So, one 383 acre plot goes for $231000, another 1408 acre plot goes for $770000. The prices can differ pretty wildly. It gets more expensive per acre in the central and souther parts of Sweden, and cheaper per acre (though generally bigger plots) the further north you go. A 373 acre plot at almost as far north as you can go goes for about $118000. I'm sure you can find small and much cheaper plots in the US.
>>
>>7945079

The US is the same. It all depends on location. Prime land near a big city can be very expensive. Out in the country it's a whole different story. An acre of land in a developed area could cost millions. On the other hand it might cost a thousand--or less--out in the middle of nowhere.
>>
File: 1296287694755.jpg (289KB, 1570x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1296287694755.jpg
289KB, 1570x1024px
>>7935015
>>7935199
>>7935216
>>7941565
Yeah I've heard a lot of europe has inferior low-quality high-bush/hybrid blueberries marketed as "american blueberries" and are ignorant of any difference in types or quality.

>>7935134
>Blueberries
>dry on the inside
I don't even wanna imagine what kind of shit-quality blueberries you've been getting.

>>7936094
Oh the tiny wild strawberries are the best, my sister and I would always pick them when we were little.
>>
>>7945079
>acre

Are you really reckoning in acres or treating the word as are (the unit)?
>>
>>7945019

I bought the whole 3-acre property including my house here in quebec for $280000 canadian dollars.

Some parts of the province have even cheaper land than this, but it's usually in the middle of fucking nowhere. I'm like five minutes from a city
>>
>>7934507
No, because I live in a big city and don't have a car.
>>
>>7946325
>>7943646
Jelly as fuck, I love blackberries, they are my favourite and I can easily get them by walking 1-3 kms from my house, but I wish I could find blueberries, alas I would need to live in the far north.
>>
>>7946430
Uh, say again?
>>
>>7935117
The taste is different, it's obvious they aren't the same berry.

I always thought artificial blueberry flavoring had nothing to do with actual blueberries, but then I tasted american blueberries one day and they tasted like that. It was very strange.

Bilberries have a different and more intense taste.
>>
>>7935015
are bilberries just a pretentious way to say normal forest blueberries?
>>
>>7948231
No.
>>
>>7948448
sure does sound like it, chuckefuck
that shit grows like weed in the forests, they're half the price of the obese american version
>>
>>7945019
Where I live, forest costs next to nothing, but you can't build on it and you are obligated to take care of it-cut down any dead trees, take care of parasites, reforestate and stuff like that.
>>
>>7941285
I'll be wary the next time I go berry picking in Africa.
>>
>>7937579
But they are?
>>
>>7948231
It's the american way, so sort of.
>>
>>7941285
That is clearly a bot fly larva. They live mostly in South America and the eggs are carried by mosquitoes. They stick to an animal's skin and when they hatch, they burrow inside where ever they are and eat the flesh around them. They crawl out when they reach full size, and it is difficult to remove them before this because they have rings of angled bristles keeping them in the hole.

You won't get this from eating food in the wilderness, only from being outside near the equator. I think they can come as far North as parts of Texas. Also, they appear where a mosquito decides to land, which is not generally anywhere on the face, especially not the eyes. It's pretty gross but usually harmless and definitely not related to foraging for fruit.
>>
>>7946325

I didn't mean that they're completely dry on the inside, but it's not nearly as juicy as the bilberry.

You get a couple drops of juice from a single bilberry, while the blueberry is just kinda gooey.

But sure, I have no idea what good, local blueberries taste like, and you probably don't know what good, local bilberries taste like, so let's leave it at that before it turns into some dumb Europe vs America debate again.
>>
No because the berries in my local park are poisonous.
Also I'd look like a pedophile since it's right next to a junior school.
>>
>>7949494
>park
Anon, no. You need to go to a forest, not a place where hundreds of people bring their dogs to use as a toilet and drunks puke and so on.
>>
Here in Eastern TN most of the blackberries have already withered away. It's been really dry and hot as hell. Got maybe a gallon or two of them in the freezer that were picked about 3-4 weeks ago.
>>
Finnish suburbia and I can walk 50 meters to find fuckloads of bilberries.
At my parents cottage inna archipelago, got bilberries, raspberries, weird hybrid strawberries, cranberries, chanterelles and sometimes other mushrooms.
>>
>>7949494
No mate, it's your vast animu collection that makes you look like a pedophile.
:^)
>>
>>7934507
There is a place just north of West Yellowstone, Montana, that during a very specific time each year, literally hundreds of acres of wild strawberries become ripe. Store bought can't even remotely compare.
>>
>>7951368
I've had those. The fact that Florida has the gall to sell "strawberries" is really a crime against humanity.
>>
>>7951397
>>7951368
Forest strawberries or free range domestic strawberries?
>>
>>7952761
Free range, all on BLM land so you can pick them to your hearts content. The only problem is that they are located in Grizzly territory, and while you are unlikely to see them, the further you explore, the more likely one may just be waiting.
>>
File: Wild Strawberries.jpg (74KB, 416x312px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Strawberries.jpg
74KB, 416x312px
>>7952761
>free range domestic strawberries

Not even close to the strawberries that you buy in a store, or even homegrown varieties. These berries are considerably smaller than normal strawberries, but they have an intense strawberry flavor as well as being sweeter than normal berries.
>>
I collect blueberries, saskatoon berries, raspberries, fiddleheads, rose hips, etc from the forest.
>>
I canned 3 gallons of Serviceberry juice today. Every gallon represents about four hours of picking. I picked for an hour twice a day for about a week to get this much juice. I'm going to turn it into pancake syrup, jelly and Serviceberry Melomel (mead made with juice instead of water).

I'll post pics tomorrow.
>>
File: 1470064742699.jpg (60KB, 476x687px) Image search: [Google]
1470064742699.jpg
60KB, 476x687px
>tfw most of the berries that grow in the desert are poisonous
>>
>>7953804
>>7953816
See, people so often aren't talking about the same thing when they talk about "wild strawberries".

Yeah, free range domestic ones have a lot more flavor than greenhouse ones. But they still have nothing on actual wild strawberries that only grow in the forest. It's not just a stronger flavor, it's a different one too, even though the berries are a lot smaller and more fragile.

It's kind of like the difference between american blueberries and european ones honestly, when it comes to the taste.
>>
>>7934507
My local forest has been overrun with real estate agents.
>>
>>7935015
From Alaska, we have bilberries too. I agree they are like blueberries with 10x concentrated flavor. I try and pick ten gallons each summer to tide me through winter.
>>
>>7948603
Where? I live in Edmonton
>>
>>7936094
>People usually have plenty of land or know someone who does.
I doubt most Americans own land of any substantial size.
>>
one of the few things I miss about Scotland, good luck finding a forest in Australia.
>>
>>7954743

As someone that's lived in several US states that depends highly on the region. If you're talking about a big city, then no, most people don't own an appreciable amount of land. Perhaps the tiny little plot their home is on. Maybe they happen to own some land elsewhere, but that's not common.

On the other hand, in a more rural area? Absolutely. I'm currently living in a mid-size city in Texas. The majority of the people I know own land. Many of them own hundreds if not thousands of acres. Land out in the middle of nowhere is dirt-cheap in America. And many families here still own farms and ranches that were in their family for a few generations.
>>
>>7934508
i used to think that too, but then i thought about all of the farms i see when driving on major freeways.

that must get more pollution than the berries on the side of the road in my neighbourhood, right?
>>
Back when I lived in California, I would go with my mom to her friend's house up in the northern redwood forests, just past the wine country. She owned a 22 acre derelict apple orchard, nestled between a mountain and a white water river.

About 6 acres behind her house consisted of a maze like formation of tall, thick blackberry bushes and the winding grass paths that went through them. Without being familar with the area, it would be easy to get lost.

These blackberries were huge and abundant; they weighed down the vines. The grass would stain purple each summer.

We would go out with woven baskets and pile them high with only the biggest blackberries. Then we would bring them back into the house, where my mom would bake creamy blackberry pies, 6 at a time.

Definitely some of my best childhood memories.
>>
>>7955829
The studies I have read suggest that soft fruit (like berries and stone fruit) and apples foraged by a roadside have fewer pollutants in the fruit than traditionally farmed fruit.
I'll see if I can find some links to those studies.
>>
>>7955895

those are marionberries and they aren't actually that good if they grow that large since the core becomes tough and untoothsome
>>
>>7934639

Sounds like these berries were named by a car mechanic.
>>
>>7955918
>Marionberries
>>
File: paw-paws2.jpg (477KB, 1183x832px) Image search: [Google]
paw-paws2.jpg
477KB, 1183x832px
SOON
>>
>>7955918
They aren't good anyway.

Raspberries are much better.
>>
>>7955918

I have a patch growing and marionberries are great for blending.
>>
>>7955918
Marionberries are a subtype of blackberries.
>>
>>7955895
>>
We have tons of Huckleberries where I live. My family and I always get gallons of them every year.
>>
File: 1424044571872.gif (1MB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1424044571872.gif
1MB, 160x160px
Who /boysenberry/ here?
>>
>>7955918
>marionberries
Nope, I'm fairly sure they were Chehalem berries that grew on the property. Just oddly big ones.
>>
>>7953858
Eat jackrabbits. They're kinda like berries.
>>
>>7958052
That's illegal in my country
>>
>>7934507
Yep, every summer when I come visit my family in Sweden. They live so close to strawberry and raspberry bushes
>>
What is there to pick in Texas? I've never come across wild berry bushes. Also all the fucking land is privately owned so I'd get arrested or shot.
>>
>>7958052
>boysenberry
yes, they make me cum
>>
>>7934507
I wish there was a local forest.

There are blackberries in my area but they're always dirty and I never happen to notice them during a ripe-but-not-rotting stage.
>>
>>7935845
No, you're not allowed to trespass just because you're a hippie.
>>
>>7935978
Why not just shoot more deer? Seems simpler desu.
>>
>>7949016
Botfly distributions extend up to at least Pennsylvania.
>Source: My master's research on space use by white footed mice
>>
no because I only want blueberries for cocktails recently, but they grow at a certain altitude and I live in the middle of a fucking plane
>>
Black raspberries grown alongside the fence at the house. Feels good

I pick them and make Black raspberry milk
>>
>>7959520
On another note, I forage for elderberry. I will be collecting throughout the coming weeks.
>>
>>7938224
I bought a pack of these from the store because they looked great. Rinsed them off and bit into one.

Something wasn't right.

Spit it out and looked at the rest. They all looked fine. Then I saw the inside of one. Full of what I can only guess was mold or spider web

Never ate raspberry again
>>
>>7934791
Melomels are wine.
Thread posts: 209
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.