[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: jpg.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
What's your brand of choice? I've been using Henckles until I was given a full German steel Mercer 8 inch chef for work. Works like a charm
>>
>>7924309
I use Kiwi.

My primary blade is a Kiwi Chinese chef knife. It's so cheap, I could throw it out the window if a pigeon were to bother me. Still works great.

The material is soft and very thin, so it benefits from the steel after every use. Do that and it stays very sharp. The grind is rather pointed I believe.

I have more expensive knives. I'm sure they'll last generations. For kitchen work I prefer the Kiwi.
>>
>>7924309
Don't cling to a single brand, anon. Different manufacturers excel at different things. I have a dozen or so knives and none of them are from the same brand. German companies are decent for the typical 8-10 inch western chef's knife. Santokus, gyutos, and nakiris are usually best from japan. A good bread knife can come from anywhere. Same with paring. China produces the ideal cleaver (although they aren't really "cleavers").

>>7924367
Gross. There's always that one guy...
Kiwis are crap, dude. I know; you get a lot of work done with it and you love it so much. Doesn't change the fact that they're flimsy, cheaply made, and have bottom tier edge retention.
>but I can throw it away and get another
Lol why? Get a good knife and you'll never have any reason to throw it away.
>I have more expensive knives
That's because Kiwis are like $10. You could spend several times that and still have a bullshit knife. Step your game up. You don't need a $250 damascus samurai slayer, but you can absolutely do better than kiwi.
>>
That looks really similar to the knife kit they gave us at culinary school, though for some reason they left out a boning/fillet knife.
>>
For me it's Zwilling.
>>7924712
you're there to learn, not to bone.
>>
>>7924705
Of course, there's always a shill.

But is he actually getting paid, or is he so delusional that he does this out of conviction. Have years of marketing softened the brain enough to actually believe this crap?

Hey, if you want to spend $250 on a damascus samurai slayer, have fun. But don't call it cooking when you're really masturbating.
>>
>>7924367
I use kiwi's as my backup when my other knives are dull or if I only have to cut one thing. My kiwi nakiri is so thin though. There's a severe lack of precision compared to say, my shun nakiri.

I mean they're ok, but you should at least have victorinox knives or something in your collection. If you're serious about cooking, kiwi's shouldn't be your work horses

Also like the other guy said, you shouldn't stick to one brand or set.

Two of my favourite knives are a scanpan filleting knife and some generic Chinese cleaver. I was really surprised by the scanpan being as good as it was.
>>
>>7924726
not everyone is a line cook.
>>
>>7924728

>not everyone is a line cook.

If you're not in the industry just fucking buy whatever you think will look the prettiest on your counter that's within your price range. if you're not cooking more than a couple dishes a day at most it literally doesn't matter and you should refrain from posting in knife threads.
>>
I don't believe anybody in these threads has actually used enough different knives consciously to offer any valid comparison.

Sure, there are differences between Japanese and European knives. Sure there are differences between cheap knives and expensive knives. So much is obvious. Nobody is going to get confused about that.

But the differences between a Zwilling chef knife and a WMF chef knife are minute. The steel is virtually identical. The grind is pretty much the same. They're all pretty well balanced. Maybe .01% of people can actually tell them apart in any significant way. And they aren't here.
>>
>>7924726
>My kiwi nakiri is so thin
Kiwi doesn't make Japanese blades. They are quite different, with a chisel grind and sometimes a concave side. Kiwi makes Chinese style knives as used in Thailand and SE Asia. Never sharpen a nakiri bocho like you would a Kiwi. Or vice versa, but that would just mean you need $10.
>>
Around what hardness does the use of a steeling rod become ineffective?
>>
>>7924309
bought a $60 swiss knife and ive been enjoying it well. wood handle doesnt get slippery, its sharp, not rounded at the tip like some so i dont miss small things every now and then. ill see how it holds up in the long run
>>
>>7924758
>They are quite different, with a chisel grind and sometimes a concave side.

Some of them, yes. But a Nakiri is not one of those. Nakiri has a double-grind blade.

But yeah, Kiwi doesn't make Japanese style knives.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.