[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought a jerky gun from Amazon and it came with some spice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: bjx5.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bjx5.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
I bought a jerky gun from Amazon and it came with some spice mixes and "cure" sachets. I've been making jerky for years from non-ground beef and have never cured it or even heard of curing jerky before.

What's the reason and do I need to cure it so I don't get sick?

The meat I have is 95/5 if it makes any difference. Does ground meat have the food aids where as chunks of moo cow doesn't?
>>
>>7906836
Ground meat is not for jerky. Use steak or get sick.
>>
>>7906836

Who the fuck makes jerky from ground meat? Also the "cure" is just salt and nitrates that prevent the meat from spoiling.
>>
Why would you ruin your jerky's texture willingly ?! I swear, this place gets more retarded by the minute.
>>
>>7906858
>>7906870
>>7906987

I bought it out of curiosity, it cost me $15 or something. If it turns out shit I don't care, I'll just go back to using sliced meat.

I was actually just asking about the cure and why they say it's needed in these packets but nobody I know has ever cured sliced meat before with nitrates
>>
>>7906836
>>7907091

The reason you can eat beef which isn't fully cooked and not chicken or pork, etc. is because of the way the muscle fibers are exposed to bacteria and the air. When you grind beef, you expose every part of that ground surface to the air which, in turn, exposes it to bacteria. This is why people who eat a hamburger 'rare' are fucking retarded.

Don't be retarded anon.
>>
>>7907169

Bacteria in and of itself are rarely the problem, except with infectious diseases. Bacteria counts and toxins are the problem.

Listeria has a cycle time of a day in the refrigerator ... it's okay to eat ground beef rare for about a week from the fridge.
>>
>>7907352

Unless you sous vide them of course, a slow cooked rare burger is indeed Darwin award tier.
>>
>>7907362

what

no, it's the exact fucking opposite
>>
>>7907372

I meant to convey that slow cooking at low temperature, like sous vide, is retarded to do with ground meat served rare.

If you are going to do a rare burger do it relatively fast, both from the point of grinding and from taking it out the fridge and serving it.
>>
>>7907387
Depending on the temperature sous-viding ground beef can still get you some pretty rare burgers. Most manuals will tell you food needs to be kept above 140f, or even cooked to 165f to fully pasteurize it. However cooking at temperatures as low as 128f can sanitize food as long as it is held there for a sufficient amount of time. Likely the reason nobody mentions this is because it's super easy to screw up if your thermometer isn't calibrated, however if you have reliable equipment and are willing to take the risk it's totally doable.
>>
>>7907439
One further thing I forgot to mention: It's possible that poorly maintained equipment at your supermarket could introduce bacteria into the meat during grinding, as they work with large volumes over long periods of time, and for low wages. If you do attempt to make a burger like this it should be done with fresh cuts of beef which you have ground yourself.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.