[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Preservatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Salchichón.jpg (137KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
Salchichón.jpg
137KB, 1200x795px
I just had a perfectly tasty looking Salchichón completely ruined on the first bite by strong flavors of potassium and sodium nitrates or nitrites. The ingredients list E-250 and E-252. It's like licking a battery. And it was no cheap buy either, really expected more from a delicatessen place.

Why do people do this? I'll never buy that brand again (Estirpe Negra). It's fraudulent, It's like selling freshly baked buns with motor oil baked in as a preservative. It isn't edible.

Also that stuff messes with the blood's ability to transport oxygen. How is this considered food?
>>
>>7895271
If you don't like salt, don't buy salty sausage.

Simples.
>>
>>7895309
It isn't the saltiness. It's a flavor, a vile chemical undertone. Sodium chloride tastes fine. But those nitrates they put in against botulism really ruin the flavor.
>>
Nitrates and nitrites have been used in curing for centuries. If you don't like it, then cured meats aren't for you
>>
I know what you mean. It just makes it taste.. not like food, like eating plastic or something. I just steer away from cheap cured meats.
>>
>>7895493
True, but dosage matters.
I love cured meats. But some are inedible while others taste fine. And it's always the preservatives.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1800x3200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1800x3200px
I got the same bait-and-switch feeling when I went to look at your picture of delicious cured meat and I opened it to find a pixelated mess. Was this done on purpose to demonstrate your point? You're a clever man.
>>
>>7895559
It's an amazon pic
>>
>>7895573

Hmmm I take it back then
>>
>>7895271
you don't like sodium nitrite or potassium nitrate in cured meats?

>>7895327
sodium chloride in food does far worse things to your kidneys

>>7895534
cured meats are not for you: seriously, don't ever try filet de bacon

sodium nitrite is specifically used at dosages that minimize the amount while gaining maximum effect; that's why it was used in the first place

potassium nitrate is often used more liberally but - because you're referring to something by E numbers - the product was intended for sale within the EU and therefore met EU guidelines on preservatives in cured meats, ie there was no more than 178 mg/kg residual E252 in the product (if your Salchichón was not heat treated in any way) or 119 mg/kg if it were heat treated; this is the *maximum amount of preservative that could have been in a product labelled as containing E252*

given that the product also contained E250, which is capped at 150mg/kg or 100mg/kg for heat treated products, the likelihood is that there was less than 1 gram of preservatives in the entire kilogram of meat you gobbled down with bitter tears streaking your unwashed face and you simply didn't like the taste of horse testes and stale nutmeg wrapped in hog anus, but you know what, OP?

more testicles means more iron
>>
>>7895770
Very informative.

E-250 and E-252 are both considered toxic to adults at .5g (average sized adult).

So you're telling me I have been shame-poisoning myself for the last 500g?
>>
>>7895271
>>7895327
>>7895770
>sodium chloride
It's called salt, you pretentious fucks.
>>
>>7895868
We were talking about nitrates and nitrides - also salts, but not sodium chloride, you uneducated emission.
>>
>>7895271
Checked it out online and it looks perfectly fine to me. Maybe you're just a pussy who can't handle real salchichón?
>>
File: billymadison.jpg (23KB, 474x257px) Image search: [Google]
billymadison.jpg
23KB, 474x257px
>>7895770
i have nothing to add i just enjoyed your post. was bretty funny and such
>>
>>7895770
>>7895815
Is sodium glutamate considered safe?
Because E-621 is carcinogenous at any amount imo.
>>
>>7896916
Causes headaches and nausea if used by the spoonful.

Will trick you into eating shit and liking it.
>>
>>7895815
>>7896916
I'm not info-dump anon, but the carcinogenicity of nitrates and nitirites is not as extreme as you think. You'd have to consume a fuckton of bacon, Salchichón, etc to increase your chance of cancer by even a little. Unless you eat this stuff every day you're only increasing your chances by 13%, so if your chances of developing cancer are 5% (average), eating nitrate-cured meat will increase it to 5.65%.

This explains it better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqvXc4q0NyM
>>
>>7898476
>unless you eat this stuff every day
I meant "even if you eat this stuff every day"
>>
>>7895327
>salami without nitrates
Why don't you just eat festering meat, pal? This is how meat has been cured for a long fucking time, because it prevents you from fucking dying.
>>
>>7898476
>You'd have to consume a fuckton of bacon, Salchichón, etc to increase your chance of cancer by even a little

Over a lifetime? That's not that difficult.
>>
>>7895327

>hurrr my moldy ass sausage tastes funny

Ever think it's maybe the mold you're tasting and not the salts?

You sound like one of those people who constantly bitches about sugar in things.
>>
>>7895271
For me, I like salami. You can delve into the intricacies or your super special aged pork whatever the fuck but when it comes down to it - Salami wins the day.
>>
>>7896951
>>7898476
>>7898480
was making a joke about a fucked up furry site but oh well
>>
Dear diary,

Today OP learned how cured meats are made.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.