[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Americans really not use kettles to heat water? Do you all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 13

File: 0316169_l.jpg (33KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
0316169_l.jpg
33KB, 1000x1000px
Do Americans really not use kettles to heat water?

Do you all use the microwave to heat water instead?

In pretty much all British households we have kettles
>>
Their current voltage or whatever is lower than ours so it makes a kettle fairly pointless
>>
We just heat it on the stove in a pot or non-electric kettle. Why is this such a difficult concept for you?
>>
>>7845699

Bongs gonna bong
>>
Most Americans don't drink tea constantly.

We also have built in hot water faucets like pic related that instantly put out nearly boiling water.
>>
>>7845699
nobody except white trash microwaves their water. People boil water on the stove in the u.s.....hell, even your most tyrone nigger won't even microwave water.
>>
>>7845712

we have those *taps (not faucets) too

I doubt many people have those anyway

>>7845708
Must be like being a caveman

I think it's more because you all have coffee machines
>>
>>7845709

nope
>>
>>7845718

>must be like being a caveman

Do you also own a rice cooker?
>>
>>7845717
I have literally never heard of anyone microwaving water before. I idea never even occurred to me
>>
whats wrong w/microwaving water? its fast and easy
>>
>>7845699

kettles suck ass, just boil some water in an ordinary pot
>>
>>7845746
>>7845750
I've got no idea whats wrong with it

If i don't have the time to boil water for instant coffee i just microwave a cup of water for 2-3 minutes and it's boiling after a piss.

It's less effecient than a kettle but it's a step above a stove which is slow
>>
>>7845773
>boil water
>instant coffee

so do you live in a single wide or double wide ?

What is our preferred brand of "wife beater" undershirts?
>>
>>7845699
Kettles are readily available here and plenty of people use them but they're certainly not as popular here as they are in Europe. Most people just either microwave water or cook it on the stove top.

Nothing wrong with any of those methods 2bh.
>>
>>7845746
If you boil water in the microwave it can get to the point of super-boiling where it doesn't seem to be boiling at all but by disturbing it only a tiny bit, like lifting it out of the microwave, can cause it to violently explode into your face. People have been disfigured doing this.
>>
The only guy I know who boils water in the microwave is a fag from Australia. Everyone here just uses a stove.

My stove can boil water FAST, too.
>>
>>7845699
>Do Americans really not use kettles to heat water?

?? some of us do. some of us just use a fucking pot. I've never seen anyone microwave a bowl of water, by the way.

>>7845718
>Must be like being a caveman

how does this make sense my dude, holy fuck. a pot with 4 cups of water in it might take two minutes longer than your kettle. wow I can't believe how much time I'm wasting!

normally I'd pass this up but I genuinely don't think you're trolling. you're just a typical dumb foreigner.
>>
>>7845809
That is from distilled water. Tap water doesn't do that so some never see it.
>>
>>7845838

C
A
V
E
M
A
N
>>
>>7845851
not that guy but it might not exclusively be from distilled water. I've burned myself in a similar way. I microwaved a cup of water for tea for about 2 and a half minutes, took it out, and when I dipped the tea bag in and disturbed the surface, it kind of bubbled and boiled over the cup and splashed in my hand. was only a tiny amount but still, I can see this happening with tap water.
>>
>>7845862
>damagecontroldamagecontrolohgod
>im trolling now lol
>>
>>7845699

we're not faggots.

now leave, bongs don't belong on a food board.
>>
>>7845699
americans are not all the same, just like any other group of people. posts like these are absolutely worthless.
>>
>>7845699
>what is a stove-top kettle
Are all Britbongs this lazy?
>>
When I make my morning coffee I fill a mug with water and put it in the microwave for 1 minute.

It comes out at the perfect drinking temperature (not boiling) and is much faster than using the electric kettle.

I only leave myself about 20 minutes between the time I wake up and head out the door, so every second counts.

My kettle gets a flogging at all other times though, I never actually *boil* water in the microwave, that's just retarded.

t. Ausfag
>>
I think it's both ineffective and wasteful to have tons of appliances that can only do a single thing, Especially if thing is literally put water in pan on stove, wait for 2 minutes.
>>
>>7845699
>Do Americans
>>
Bong here, I can understand both sides of the argument (hob vs electric kettle). The only time I can see it being an issue is if you're using all your hobs already, which is pretty rare. Electric kettles are slightly less labour intensive though (they turn themselves off).
>>
File: 1433861959692.jpg (158KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1433861959692.jpg
158KB, 960x960px
What has more unlimited shitposting potential:
>Why Americans boil water in the microwave
>Why is it called grilled cheese when it's not grilled
>>
I had one in university for instant ramen, oats, tea and my french press. Pretty convenient for a dorm.

At home I'd probably never use one, even if didn't have an instant hot water faucet (I do). It's not a huge time saver over just boiling a pot of water and takes up space.
>>
Why do Americans drop the 's' in "cheese"? I've noticed they do it a lot when talking about fast food. They also talk about fries in singular. I guess the kind of people who eat fast food all the time are just stupid.
>>
>>7845838
you're being epicly trolled

don't take the bait when some fucking idiot says something stupid
>>
>>7845980
If you're using all your hobs already, where are you going to put the pot of water once the kettle has boiled? The real issue is how long it takes to heat a litre of water in a pan.
>>
>>7846058
For the same reason all English and Irish people talk exactly the same.
>>
wait do all brits use an electric kettle? don't you people have stoves?
>>
File: 1435244883416s.jpg (4KB, 125x113px) Image search: [Google]
1435244883416s.jpg
4KB, 125x113px
>>7846065
>>7845980
what the hell is a hob?
>>
Everyone I know that drinks tea has an electric kettle. Otherwise I'm not sure what I'd use it for. They heat plenty fine on 110V here in the US, obviously the euro plugs would be quicker though.
>>
>>7845918
>When I make my morning coffee I fill a mug with water and put it in the microwave for 1 minute.

So you drink hot water instead of coffee?
>>
A friends owns one of these aberrations and I simply refuse to drink tea in his house. Sorry, I only accept proper tea made in a pan.
>>
>>7846067

it takes like 100 years to boil water on the stove vs less than a minute in an electric kettle
>>
>>7846071
The stove.
>>
>>7845795
Microwave the mug full of water 1 1/2 minutes even 1, boom it's done. Get fucking wrecked you snaggletooth faggot bongs.
>>
>>7845838
It's relatively very wasteful using the hob to boil water, especially when doing such a low volume of water (e.g. enough for a portion of tea).
>>
>>7846375
>It's relatively very wasteful
>relatively very
what the fuck
who taught you english
>>
>>7846375
>relatively wasteful

as opposed to plugging something in and wasting electricity?
>>
>>7846375
Gas is way efficient than electric heating in every way, what are you smoking?
>>
I always start with ice cubes, made by freezing mineral water in a large container and securing it on my work bench as I use a chainsaw to slice it down to pieces that can fit inside a drinking glass or flushed down the toilet, just in case. I then get a pan,smoking hot over the hub. I use my 14" cast iron skillet because it's already seasoned and my water won't stick to it. I proceed by turning the heat down and placing the ice cubes in one at time while they melt. Once melted, I strain the water and place it back in the fridge for up to a week. After a week is up, it's ready to boil by pouring it into the coffee maker (gold filter) twice. Simple boiled water, I don't know why eurocucks are so confused by it.
>>
>>7846077
No, I usually put a packet of instant coffee with milk powder and sugar in it ready to go because I'm in a hurry and am a lazy fuck

When I get to my office I drink real coffee either from the shop down stairs or from the espresso machine in the kitchen
>>
Holy man this thread is a disaster.
>>
>>7845699
>In pretty much all British households we have kettles

Those are expensive.
>>
It's hot as fuck outside what would I want to heat water for
>>
File: KPvEUYD[1].png (56KB, 371x512px) Image search: [Google]
KPvEUYD[1].png
56KB, 371x512px
>>7846505
In an electric kettle, a greater portion of the energy produced from the element directly heats the water - it is submerged.
A gas hob however inevitably uses significantly more energy on heating the surroundings (i.e. the atmosphere) and the metal of the pan. You get loss of effective energy in this process.
A litre of water needs about 2300kJ of energy to heat to boiling point, and gas heating efficiency is around the 25% mark whereas kettles are around 60%. Therefore, 10,120kJ of gas energy gets you a litre of boiling water, compared to 4,140kJ of electricity for the kettle.
This means that despite gas being a bit cheaper than electricity, the inefficiency of your gas hob means that electric kettles are superior in both energetic and price point terms.

Bear in mind this is separate to home heating systems (gas vs electric) as this is an open-system rather than a closed one - your gas hob pumping out heat into the air makes for a lot of inefficiency.

Of course a kettle is also temperature sensitive and turns itself off at boiling point, further reducing waste.

I open myself to questions from the threads sceptics and general uneducated ignoramuses

>>7846461
Completely missing the point.

>>7846439
Don't be afraid to read a book for once in your life :)
>>
>>7845823
We have kettles, stoves, and hot-water taps in Australia. Whatever bogan fucker you know using a microwave to boil water is not our norm.
>>
>>7845699
I use a pot because I don't see the point in buying something you don't actually need and has only one purpose.
>>
>>7845708
Because it takes 5 minutes and a kettle can do it in 10 seconds
>>
>>7845699
Or the stove. We don't drink much tea so usually if you're heating water it makes more sense to heat it up on the stove.
>>
>Euro water is so dirty they need to boil it before drinking
>>
I'm American and have an electric kettle, because I use an aeropress and drink a lot of tea. My family on both sides of my marriage both have coffeemakers and use that for hot water if they want tea, though neither drinks tea often. I assume most other Americans don't need a kettle because they have a drip-machine.
>>
File: Delicious american water.jpg (92KB, 1012x759px) Image search: [Google]
Delicious american water.jpg
92KB, 1012x759px
>>7846826

Except not really, and its your amerifat country that has shit water issues atm, your water sucks ass.
>>
>>7845699
Americans that enjoy tea on the reg mostly have a kettle of some sort. Occasional tea drinkers will just use the microwave or stove. Why waste the counter space? We wouldnt have room for all of our 2 liter bottles of coke and cheeseburgers.
>>
>>7846058
wait, so you've heard some Americans saying chee instead of cheese?
>>
>>7845779
> Doesnt realize most british people only drink insrant coffee
>>
>>7845699
why pay extra money foe an electric kettle?
>>
>>7845729
>A device purely for the purpose of cooking rice
I don't buy useless kitchen gadgets.
>>
>>7845750
>>7845773
I know this is /ck/ and we tell people to throw ice in boiling oil to control the temperature, but microwaving water will seriously injure you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating
>>
>>7846073
I always pre-boil water in the electric kettle before putting on the hob (sorry "stove") for cooking things, like if I'm making pasta why wait a gorillion years for water to start boiling on the hob when I can boil it in the kettle first which takes like 2 minutes max, pour it in a pot and start the pasta off straight away.
>>
>>7845864
Yeah you should probably stop shitposting, your damage control is just childish.
>>
>>7845866
>Americrowaves
>>
>>7847688
electric kettle costs like £1 which is now worth about 0.01 freedom dollars.
>>
>>7845699
they have a lower voltage but a higher hz in america

you need to use a kettle that's designed to work better with the electricity
>>
>>7845980
You can't even compare them. A kettle will heat up a litre of water in a minute or two and a pan on the oven will take five minutes to even get warm.
>>
>>7845995
For subtle American shitposting ask them who has the best BBQ and what is the correct way to pronounce "pecan".
>>
>>7846058
The same reason they call sausages "sausage".
>I had sausage
It should be I had a sausage for singular or I had sausages for plural, but nope with Americans it's simply I had sausage because they are morons.
>>
is it true that americans use their barbeques to boil water?
>>
File: Brain dead.jpg (10KB, 244x209px) Image search: [Google]
Brain dead.jpg
10KB, 244x209px
>>7846505
>Gas is way efficient than electric heating in every way
>>
>>7847728
And brits are idiots for adding an e to shit and and an r to ass

They talk differently because they're stupid. That must be it

Non-Americans are quite literally the niggers of the internet
>>
>>7847745
You guys are so cute when you get triggered.
>>
File: Implying.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Implying.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>7846735
>Those are expensive.
>>
>>7846718
All threads involving Americans are a disaster, it's best just to enjoy the ride.
>>
>>7847728
americans say 'sausages' too, it just depends on the context.
Like I would say " I am going to have 2 sausages", but I would say "we are going to have sausage for dinner" rather than 'sausages'
>>
Before I started making my own coffee, I never had a need for hot water.

Other than cheap ramen
>>
I have one because I use a french press for coffee. But for most people, the need to just boil water doesn't come up enough that they need an appliance just for the purpose.
>>
>>7847838
What about when you want to boil some meat for dinner?
>>
>>7847838
Yeah, If Americans made tea 6 times a day it would be different, but most Americans don't really have the demand for such a specialized appliance
>>
>>7847839
haha, is this a thing people do in England or is this a joke?
>>
>>7847842

Why not both?
>>
>>7847839
>>7847842
>>7847848
Americans truly are a cancer.
>>
>>7847698

>he cooks his rice on the stove instead of doing it at the press of a button

Must be like being a caveman.
>>
File: Drip-Coffee-Maker-5859678XSmall.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Drip-Coffee-Maker-5859678XSmall.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Your average American doesn't habitually consume enough hot beverages to warrant the heating of water in anything other than the microwave.

And most who drink morning coffee usually just brew it in one of these, which are electric anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 300x168px
They throw it into the harbour.
>>
>>7848229

I bought an electric pressure cooker. It's like a rice cooker except cheaper, 3-5x faster, and useful for things other than rice.
>>
>>7845719

>110v/50hz

The worst of both worlds.

>>7845699

You bongs used to have a powerstation on dedicated standby waiting for the first commercial break of an afternoon episode of Eastenders.

When the first commercial break comes on they activate this nuclear powerplant to help deal with the load placed on the grid by millions of english people turning on their kettles at the same fucking time.

You understand the levels of bizarre that is this phenomenon?

Bunch of fucking sheep.
>>
>>7848411
>nuclear powerplant
I highly doubt nuclear is used for something stopping and starting so frequently.
>>
>>7845699
Got this exact one at work.
I make coffee every 20 mins out of boredom
>>
I just use my coffee machine to heat water fast
>>
>>7845699

Clapistani here, my apartment has an electric kettle. It's useful for cup ramen, and I use it to brew tea for when I'm sick or something. I don't drink coffee.

>>7846058

...Who the fuck drops the 's' in 'cheese'? I've literally never heard anyone do that, to my knowledge. Do you have a video source or something?

I'm not sure what you mean by "talk about fries in singular".
>>
>>7847756
I think you mean bongs
>>
>>7849403

Brits/Euros are probably the main instigators of /int/ shitposting type threads, but Australians are the ones who will bump a thread to the limit with anit-american trolling. (If they start a thread themselves it's usually so low quality that it gets deleted.)

>sage for off topic
>>
>>7846796
I have my coffeemaker connected to our water main, and it keeps a reservoir of hot water. When I need hot water, it has a spout on the side. We have the same thing at work. It's great for tea!
>>
File: 1465848310661.jpg (2MB, 2832x3664px) Image search: [Google]
1465848310661.jpg
2MB, 2832x3664px
>>7845699
Aw great, a troll thread!

I have Culligan man 5 gallon water bottles, the heater has a hot setting. Our well water is too irony for regular consumption. America is a big place, and European states are as large as ours.
>>
I'm american and use an electric kettle...
>>
>>7847698
>A device purely for the purpose of boiling water
I don't buy useless kitchen gadgets.
>>
I have a cocomotion. It is an electric kettle with no settings and a magnetic spinning stir thing in the bottom. I use it to make hot chocolate, spiced orange drink and spiced milk.
>>
>>7845851
if you microwave it twice it can happen. like if you microwave it, forget about it, then go back to microwave it again.
>>
This thread has been a real eye opener. I've seriously never heard of hot water taps.
>>
>>7849870

>i've seriously never heard of hot water taps

I had one growing up ('murrica) but aside from cup noodles the only thing I ever used it for was killing centipedes. If I heard a rustling in the night I'd jump up on my bed, switch on the lights, go grab a long pair of kitchen tongs, and wait for the fucker to show itself. When I caught it with the tongs I'd take it to the kitchen and run it under the hot water faucet until it went limp, then put it down the garbage disposal. If you try to flush it down the toilet while still alive it will crawl it's way up when you're least expecting it.
>>
>>7849903
Fucking hell, why are there centipedes in your house? Where do you live?
>>
>>7849906

Grew up in Hawaii and my room was on the bottom floor of a house built on the side of a hill, so one of my bedroom walls was on the other side of dirt.
>>
>>7847504
Is that piss? Why the fuck is it orange
>>
>>7849919
also pretty standard in japan
>>
Will a more expensive kettle boil water faster?

I have a cheap home brand kettle (like $10?) that works fine but is a little slow.
>>
>>7849938

I've never had the opportunity to visit Japan, but I vacationed on a Thai island once and it was jarring how similar the flora and fauna was to that of the island I grew up on half way around the world in the middle of a completely different ocean.

It also kind of sucks being called a weeb for being interested in Japanese food. Half the people I went to school with were part Japanese and there was a huge cultural influence.
>>
>>7847704
That was on Mythbusters it only really works with distilled water
>>
>>7845699
Since Brits drink tea they use kettles to heat the water. My coffee maker heats water and prepares coffee. Same thing really.
>>
>>7845699
Who the fuck microwaves water!?!?
>>
>>7849978

Growing up my mom would always microwave water in a pyrex measuring cup (without putting in a chopstick or whatever like Alton Brown says), and never, not once, did the water super heat and spill over.

It's quicker than using the stove and doesn't require a dumb unitasker that saves you 30 seconds and makes no difference in the end result like something like a rice cooker would.
>>
>>7849996

Microwaved water literally tastes worse than boiled water for tea. I have no idea why, it's just how it is.
>>
>>7850010

>microwaved water literally tastes worse than boiled water

It's literally all in your head.
>>
>>7849960
Probably, look at the wattage.
>>
>>7845699
I have a copper kettle, I don't know what the fuck you're whining about.
>>
If you're going to boil water do it with an all metal kettle or a pot on the stove. Boiling water in plastic will fuck you up.
>>
>>7845699
We don't drink tea, we throw it in the harbor britfags
>>
>>7850079
depends on the kind of plastic
>>
>>7850085
Nope.
>>
>>7850088
do you have a single fact to back that up
>>
>>7850079
you can get electric kettles made of metal, if you're that paranoid
>>
>>7847728
Sausage isn't necessarily in casings stupid European. It's a kind of meat, so it is a substance and thus it isn't plural just as you wouldn't pluralize "carbon"
>>
>>7850091
I do, but I'm on mobile. You can put in the work and attempt to disprove me if you want.
>>
>>7850436
>mobile shitposters strike again
>>
>>7850418
Reread the post you're refering to and realize your post is not necessary.
>>
>>7850437
>trying to jew people into drinking toxic plastic water
>states I'm wrong but refuses to prove it

I'm waiting.
>>
>>7850443
>look mom i posted it again!

Here is your (You)
>>
>>7850448
You were being retarded, had the chance to redeem yourself but you've decided to continue.

Congratulations.
>>
>>7845712
>nearly boiling water.
you can't make tea with nearly boiling water
>>
>>7847504
That's African American water. Who cares about that?
>>
>>7850466
you're making tea wrong, m8
>>
>>7850461
I'm not him but boiling water in PPL is completely safe.
It is usually black with a code of 1 in the recyce triangle decor.

(Polypropylene)

I would never use PPL WITH a heating element inside though. I am not retarded.
>>
>>7850466
Only tea you make with boiling water is herbal tea
All other teas are 175-205f(80-96c)
>>
I have one.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.