[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does /ck/ ever make homemade beef jerky? I made a batch in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: jerky.jpg (325KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
jerky.jpg
325KB, 1200x600px
does /ck/ ever make homemade beef jerky? I made a batch in the dehydrator, bretty tasty. I think I sliced it too thin though and let it dry too long, its crunchy. Doing a second batch now, will dry less this time.

Any tips for making it good? Marinade recipes? Best cuts of meat? I just bought a big lean rump roast and sliced it very thin myself with a meat slicer, I used a premade teriyaki marinade.
>>
>>7811162
Always cut against the grain, ALWAYS. Drying and curing meats makes them tougher, so doing everything to can to keep them tender is in your best interest. Cut against the grain and use a marinade with salt. Salt will help tenderize, cure, and protect it from nasty stuff growing on it.

>Beef:
See second venison recipe.

>Venison:
If I want it gamey (I love that flavor), I usually use a simple marinade with soy sauce, water, cracked black pepper, that's it

If I want to take some of that wild flavor out, I simmer about 1 part soy sauce and 2 parts water with a bay leaf, minced garlic, chili flakes, and few tablespoons of dark molasses or buckwheat honey. Optional: add a few cloves or a pinch of cinnamon.

Cool that marinade, slice the venison, marinade at least 24 hours, dehydrate.

>Chicken:
Cook through or get a dehydrator that goes above 160F always.

I usually keep it simple with some salt, lemon, and cracked pepper, marinade, cook, dehydrate. You can also grind chicken up rather easily for a powdery jerky like that pseudo chew kids like.

>Fish:
Just cure it with lye or salt, fish jerky is gross.
>>
>>7811223
lel.

that article was somehow very endearing, no homo.
>>
>>7811196
I don't see the value in marinating for jerky, I mean sure some seasoning is necessary but dehydrating tends to magnify the marinade to the point where it's easy to over power the meat. if you're not using shit tier meat then just rubbing it with salt pepper and garlic powder and letting it rest for thirty minutes or so before you start drying it, is plenty of flavor
>>
>>7811296
Did you even read my post? Salt helps tenderize and preserve the meat, if you salt right before you dry it, the salt can't break down proteins and make the meat more tender. Additionally, a wet marinade or even a dry age helps the salt soak in to the meat to protect the inside instead of just the outside if you are concerned about food born illness or using a ground product. Of three marinades I listed, one had more than basic flavor. Soy sauce and pepper are common marinades, so it lemon for chicken.

In all meats a marinade should tenderize and add flavor if desired, in jerky it also helps protect the meat from spoilage. How to reading comprehension.
>>
>>7811162
I typically use London broil. I slice it 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. I marinate it in the following for 24 hours:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 teaspoon fish oil
Add black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, and paprika to taste

After 24 hours, dehydrate at 165F for approximately 6 and 1/2 hours.
>>
>>7811196
>Just cure it with lye or salt, fish jerky is gross.
awww... I think salmon jerky is delicious
>>
>>7811162
My family makes biltong. it's kind of like jerky but it's a little different, from South Africa. We don't like sweet jerky so there's so sugar.

Cut up london broil into strips, layer with rock salt for like 5 mins, then rinse rock salt off with vinegar. Add spices (coriander, black pepper, etc) and then hang in biltong box, which is a wooden box with dry heat and airflow. It takes 3-5 days to dry out. Tastes fuckin amazing.
>>
>>7811607
>rinse salt off with vinegar
You do what now? Not insulting you, just not sure how that changes anything.
>>
>>7811619
i think it helps preserve the meat? its just what my dad has always done.
>>
>>7811619
Salt draws moisture out of the meat.
>>
>>7811644
What is drawn out of the meat if you rub it vigorously?
>>
File: film-waynes_world.jpg (268KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
film-waynes_world.jpg
268KB, 1280x720px
>>7811665
cream of sum yung guy
>>
>>7811477
fuck off kid, marinade is for shitters, it's called beef jerky not beef tender dumbass, I bet you like your so called jerky thick and chewy, well that's not beef jerky
>>
>>7811162
>bretty
Speak english autfag
>>
Op here, letting my second batch dry. I'll dry it a little less this time. For those curious I used pic related as my marinade, tastes great. First batch marinated a couple hours, this batch sat in it all night. Next time I'll probably make my own though.
>>
>>7811162
I just made a batch last week, although I didn't have much of it myself. It was a Father's Day present for my dad. I can't remember offhand what all is in the marinade, though.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.