[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll bite: how am I meant to season food?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

I'll bite: how am I meant to season food?
>>
spices.
>>
>>7774484
What kind? How much?
>>
>>7774489
salt and pepper
liberally
>>
>>7774489
Are you really just asking what spices go on food? That's like asking what medicine goes on germs
>>
>>7774489
onion powder, salt and cracked pepper
>>
>>7774489
The kind you like. Not too much, not too little.
>>
A dash of 'cha adds a midwestern kick to most grilled foods.
>>
>>7774489
Ms. Dash
>>
Top tier: Salt and pepper.
High tier: Garlic, Herbs
Asian/tropical tier: Sugar and alcohol.
'fuck outta here tier: Spice mix.
>>
>>7774492
I already do that shit.
>>
people who think 'seasoning' has to entail more than just fucking salt don't really know how to cook

like fair play your mum makes great jerk or some shit but have some fucking perspective. you get flavour in your food a bunch of different ways, don't need it to be smothered in stuff at every stage. the guys who think cooking meat unseasoned is for white people probably eat a fuckton of burned and shitty spices and dried herbs.
>>
>>7774491
Me too but my dad doesn't season shit. Maybe it's the previous generation.
>>
What about people who marinate their meat overnight and then season it? Too much? Unnecessary?
>>
>>7774482
Salt and pepper, some oil at the end if you're doing it in batches.
>>
>>7774491
>>7774546
Before I started cooking food for my family, everyone added only a tiny amount of seasoning to their meal. They would use the correct seasoning for whatever they were cooking, they would just put so little of it on that you could barely taste anything.

White trashy people are use to eating fast/frozen/pre-packaged food that they are just clueless as to how seasoning is used.
>>
>>7774491
I got a theory, Ive herd Black/poor folks used to have pretty shitty left over type foods that they got to use every fucking seasoning under the sun to actualy make it taste good while everyone else had prime cuts/etc and require little to no seasoning.

Yes Im aware people also knew how to cook regardless and had time to season, prep, dry, etc there food but now its sort of a lost art unless you went to school to make the most out of your meals or had some one show you that you can use more than just salt and pepper to flavor your food. My mom has her own personal garden to tend too and when ever she needs another vedgie/herb for a dish she can just go out back and pick it to make it great.
>>
File: 1420176448817.jpg (63KB, 498x395px) Image search: [Google]
1420176448817.jpg
63KB, 498x395px
>>7774591
That's supposedly how smoking/BBQ originated. You give the slaves a chunk of fatty, gristly meat that's barely edible unless it's slow cooked for several hours and covered in sauce.

Your corollary that if you're eating fillet mignon you only need a dash of salt & pepper makes sense.
>>
>>7774610

>That's supposedly how smoking/BBQ originated. You give the slaves a chunk of fatty, gristly meat that's barely edible unless it's slow cooked for several hours and covered in sauce.

that's utterly retarded
>>
>>7774610
That's no where even close to how it started.
>>
>>7774482
is that guy grilling a chuck steak?
>>
>>7774489
This cooking isnt like solving a math problem. Each dish required different seasonings. Not every dish you make requires the same spices or the same amount.
>>
>>7774610
While that doesn't make sense, I can see cheap meat needing spices and a nice piece meat should be eaten for its natural flavor
>>
>>7774527
Whatchu sayin' white boi, you don' like blackened fish? Or blackened chicken? Or blackened beef? Or blackened black?
>>
>>7774482
Depends how I'm making it. Chicken is pretty basic so you can do whatever the fuck you want. Sometimes I just make bbq sauce, toss chicken in, and add fresh garlic, onion, and herbs. Let marinate for a while. Sometimes I just dice garlic and mix it with cayenne pepper and fresh lime juice and baste the chicken. Or I make Hawaiian chicken which is marinated in soy sauce, pineapple juice, ketchup, and ginger. There are a lot of methods for flavor so you do you.
>>
Thrid worlders needed spices to cover up the fact they were eating dog meat and rotten carrion even medieval european peasants wouldn't touch.
>>
Nothing wrong with some rosemary on a chicken. A cut of steak really only needs salt and pepper.
>>
>>7774482
Uh, there's no trick

The absolute, most basic "seasoning" you do is put salt and pepper on both sides of the meat before cooking it.

That's all you gotta do champ.
>>
>>7774482
if it's on a charcoal or wood burning grill, it doesn't _need_ anything. i'd still salt and pepper it out of habit.
>>
>>7774747
Raekwon
>>
Salt and pepper are your two basic seasonings, they go with pretty much anything.

Then you have garlic, herbs, ginger and various other plant based stuff, which vary wildly between different meals, generally you want to follow a recipe.

While there are "spice mixes" and "mexican flavour" stuff, I personally prefer to just buy decent amounts of all spices and herbs and pick and mix them, rather than use a premixed spice package.

>>7774553
chicken generally needs marinating since the meat itself is rather bland
>>
File: 1452602223131.jpg (19KB, 385x383px) Image search: [Google]
1452602223131.jpg
19KB, 385x383px
>>7774527
>>7774491
Why all the butthurt about under seasoning meat? Learn how to take a joke.
>>
>>7774527
>brit talking about cooking
I thought it was a meme but you cucks really do just put beans on toast and call it breakfast kek.
>>
>>7774610
Smoking originated as a method of preservation. Cooking outside AKA barbecue originated as a way to cook outside.
>>
>>7774610
BBQ is just pit roasting with modern implements.
AFAIK it originates in the Caribbean where the Spanish released hogs, that buccaneers would later hunt and roast in pits.
Later many of these people settled in america and took the cooking style with them
>>
>>7775084
I think it was the older generation. I used to not believe it was true, but then I heard quite a few anecdotal tales about childhood and boiled chicken served plain. I don't think it's as pervasive as people claim, but I do think it was more common in the older generations. And they do use seasoning, but it's often simple and very specific (they don't branch out).

However, I can't wrap my mind around how white people supposedly underseason and at the same time, have everything come from a can. While a lot of companies backed off sodium in the recent decade (or decades in some cases), but ya can't really claim both. Cream of mushroom soup meme shit? There's seasonings and other shit in those canned goods. If someone is all "white people canned food" and "white people don't season," then they're contradicting themselves. I'm not saying canned food is seasoned well, wisely, or deliciously, but it is a fucking sodium bomb often filled with dried vegetables or herbs, seasoning, and more salt. At the very least, the diet is over fucking salted. And most "white people don't season" commentary includes salt, so anyways, whatever.
>>
>>7774482
Are coloreds really incapable of enjoying plain food? I swing either way depending on mood.
>>
Overspicing a good stake is as bad as overlooking it. Though salt pepper should always be added.
>>
>>7775315
Just keep telling yourself that darkie

Or better yet name me one of those high class white dishes you claim need to be filled with sugar to taste good
>>
>>7775315
b8
>>
>>7775335
Ebin
>>
>>7775260
>However, I can't wrap my mind around how white people supposedly underseason and at the same time, have everything come from a can.
Are you implying that canned food is seasoning?
>>
File: whitey food.png (351KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
whitey food.png
351KB, 560x373px
>>7775324
>asking for evidence for the obvious
LOL, but i'll humor you little paleskin

>croissants
butter and sugar bread

>bechamel sauce, a staple of whitey cuisine, regarded as one of the great "mother sauces"
melted butter

>tartiflette
potatos and cheese! mmmm, such great cuisine!

>crepes, regarded a staple of white breakfast
sugary cake with more sugar inside
>>
>>7775351
No, he's stating that canned food is automatically seasoned. Too many words for you to read in one sitting?

>>7775357
Mother sauces are not supposed to be used without adornment. They're the base for other sauces. The rest of your bait is too shitty to bite at.
>>
when you have quality food non-rotted foods you don't need to cover up the flavor with spices
>>
>>7774482
>file deleted

What are you biting, OP? Your thread doesn't make sense anymore.
>>
>>7775478
You can thank the schizophrenic mods who randomly delete entire strings of posts because of a petty disagreement about food, and blank out thumbnails while apparently allowing offtopic racist shitstorms to proceed as though this was /b/ for food
>>
>Off topic bullshit about any other race that isn't white
>Mods don't blink an eye
>Minor joke about whites not seasoning their food
>Mods go apeshit and delete everything
Bravo.
>>
>>7775478
It was a Black Twitter thumbnail about chicken.
>>
just cook an egg, quarter it, and try out different seasonings/combinations on each quarter. you'll be a spice master in no time.
>>
>Basic seasoning
pepper, MSG, turmeric, salt

After that you just add whatever regional styles you're going for, although that usually includes garlic. But what I listed is the absolute basics for any cuisine being attempted using 21st century knowledge.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.