[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is cooking an art or a trade?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: gyro-close.jpg (286KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gyro-close.jpg
286KB, 1500x1000px
Is cooking an art or a trade?
>>
The word you're looking for is "craft".
>>
>>7754857
>>7754863

None of these are mutually exclusive.
>>
Mostly a trade, only wankers think it's an art If you can sculpt why not.
>>
>>7754867
This
>>
>>7754866

That doesn't mean they all mean the same thing.

Cooking is above all a craft, and if you get paid for it it's also a trade. It's \a skill, but that's such a broad term it hardly means anything. Very rarely, if ever, is cooking an art.
>>
>>7754866
This.

The distinction between art/entertainment/utilities is quite plebeian to be honest. Mozart and Haydn weren't the romanticised "artists" archetype you imagine. Although they were around the turning point of it to be considered more arty than crafty.
>>
Knowing how to cook is a craft
Being paid to cook is a trade
Making food creatively like some cake decorators is an art

Same way that building furniture in your home is a craft, being a construction worker is a trade, and making wood sculptures is an art

/thread
>>
>>7754881
Wtf is this meme
>>
Neither. It's a basic life skill
>>
>>7754857
Any trade can be art if you are killed enough.
>>
>>7756631
When people are killed they die.
>>
It's an overrated hobby, nothing more.
>>
>>7754873
Art literally means skill.
>>
>>7754857
Its a creative and (hopefully)tasty science project.
>>
Its a science
>>
I'd say it's an art because of the creativity required to make unique and interesting flavors. People only ever think of art as something visual, but that's not actually true, even though visual can be a huge part of making a good dish.

A lot of people also say cooking isn't an art because they don't want to sound pretentious, but at that point you're just being dishonest.
>>
It's funny that the rise of gastronomy happened in concurrence with the increasing obscurity and trade deregulation of fine arts like painting and sculpting.
It's too bad that some other creative trades like wood working aren't as consumable as food. Or that interior design is the only archetectural endeavor thats got mass consumability and doesn't suck your soul out through your anus with engineering.
At least the hours are better than in a kitchen.
>>
>>7754866
that's the point of >>7754863 as I see it, that both art and trade are included or compatible with the concept of craft
>>
>>7754857
its an art if you are cooking for pleasure a trade if you do it for a living
>>
If you cook to get paid it's a trade. If you get paid to cook, it's art.
>>
>>7755060
Pretty much summed it up
>>
File: vladimer_putin.jpg (55KB, 540x349px) Image search: [Google]
vladimer_putin.jpg
55KB, 540x349px
>>7756658
>a hobby
>literally save thousands of dollars a year being able to perform this skill
>>
Cooking is art as much as videogames is art
[spoiler]they're not art and never will be[/spoiler]
>>
>>7757998
This
>>
>>7754857
>>
>>7754857
>>7754863

I think all three apply. It can be a trade if you work in the industry and an art or craft if you do it to entertain.
>>
>>7757998
Except, cooking is an art. A well respected one at that.
>>
>>7762518
> well respected

Lo. Keep telling yourself that.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.