[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In all honesty, why do white Americans like to be conservative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

In all honesty, why do white Americans like to be conservative with seasonings?
eg, salt and pepper and that's it.
>>
>>7536602
it's a false meme
>>
Wartime austerity measures killed British and American cuisines throughout the '50s, '60s and '70s and neither nation has entirely recovered just yet.
>>
>>7536604
Can confirm, am American WASP, like to cook with spicy stuff.
>>
the higher quality raw ingredients we have access to render drowning the original product in seasoning unnecessary
>>
>>7536643
no matter the quality of an ingredient, you're not going to be able to reproduce the taste of certain seasonings.
>>
>>7536636
As a WASC (get the fuck out you cultist and come back to the real church) I also like to cook with spicy stuff. No white person wants to eat that stuff because it's "too spicy."
So yea, I'm the oddity, and so is this "WASp"
>>
>>7536631
France had worse austerity during WW2 tho and look at its cuisine now.
>>
Americans generally didn't grow up learning any particular cuisine, so they're generally not sure what to season with. I think it's a matter of conservative expression really. They'd be happy to eat more tasty food, they just aren't sure how to make it and are afraid of taking risks.

That said, black Americans will often be even more bland than whites
>>
As a white American, I tend to prefer bland foods. But there are exceptions to that rule. I like heavy seasoning in sausage and such
>>
>>7536602
blame the brits
>>
>>7537307
It's actually pretty shit desu.
>>
>>7536602
at the table or during cooking ?

I [s]never[/s] rarely add seasoning at the table. If it's cooked right, everything should have been added then.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198KB, 3000x1688px
>>7537499
>>
>>7537483
Please go back to >>>/b/
>>
>>7536602
I feel like it's an upbringing thing. White parents feed their kids what they were fed as kids, and that typically happens to be really bland shit. That's what happened to me, my tastes didn't really open up until I started cooking for myself and I realized what I had been missing.
>>
If you season too much, you'll never be able to taste the mayo.
>>
>>7536602
>descendants from Scandinavians and Brits
>wonders why the food is bland
>>
>>7536602
This is an outdated thing. Most of out food may be commodity grade industrially produced crap, but anyone looking for flavor can generally find it. Historically that has not been the case.

Picky eaters are tolerated here, and to hear my mother tell it the generation before her was full of them. My maternal grandfather was a "meat and potatoes" guy, as were many Northeastern men of his generation and background (German and Irish American). Stuff like garlic, fresh herbs, spices - that was all too exotic for him. He died before olive oil was even widely available in the country. Fresh produce was only available seasonally, so if you didn't like canned (and didn't want to spring for frozen) you just didn't eat much in the way of vegetables.

The main restaurants you saw back then were diners. If you wanted flavor you went to a Greek one. Otherwise there'd be a special (pot roast, Turkey dinner, beef stew) and a menu of short order dishes. The food was bland to accommodate picky eaters, and if you needed more flavor there was a bottle of ketchup on the table.

Modern day Americans are generally much less picky than that, but the kind of food you find at chain restaurants is still incredibly dumbed down because they still exist. I know a in their 50's and 60's who are very uncomfortable with the idea of going out to eat anything more exotic than what would have been on a diner menu when they were kids.
>>
File: 1430874369714.jpg (254KB, 975x759px) Image search: [Google]
1430874369714.jpg
254KB, 975x759px
>>7537307
My uncle lived there for a couple years while going to beauty school. He claimed they take the 'bathe everything in garlic butter' approach to cooking and assumed it was because everyone smoked nonstop.
>>
>>7537697
Even the illustrious French and Italian food is bland.
>>
>>7536602
probably cause most people don't learn to cook or like to really experiment with seasonings. People love to experiment with any weird combo of ingredients but shy away from doing it with spices

For example my roommate who cooks chicken all the time makes it totally bland and add hot sauce to it afterwards. Yet he cringed when I made chicken once and seasoned strips of it in Cumin chili powder seasoned salt and a little red and black pepper.

I'm a half Irish quarter Polack and quarter Italian American soo its not like using spices runs through my veins or anything
>>
>>7537936
>Muh heritage
>>
>>7537932
I wouldn't go that far, but neither cuisine has the balances of acid, sweet and chili that you see in Mexican, some Chinese and SEA foods. (The closest you get to that in Italian is some Sicilian dishes).

Don't forget that many French and Italian dishes were heavily tweaked over the centuries to pair well with the local wines. Particularly in French cuisine the cleansing acidity much of it seems to be lacking was meant to come from the specific wine paired with each particular dish. The food is really only half the picture.
>>
>>7537972

attention balance of acidity and sweetness is common in like all cuisines. the only thing i accept is that they don't use that much chilli (but they still do use it especially in mediterranean regions)
>>
>>7537958
only stated it cause I didn't want someone to be like
>sure your American but you grew up in an ethnic household where those spices where used often!
>>
>>7537976
Tough to pair chilies against dry wines. Chilies always benefit from a hint of sweetness. Tough to pair sweet food against dry wine as well. If you look where chilies are used in the Mediterranean where chilies are more popular the wines are often less than bone dry.

But if you look at the French and Italian dishes that seem heavy and somewhat lacking in an acid component - those are dishes the French and Italians would generally not serve without wine.
>>
>>7536602
White people tend to have weird broken tongues that can't taste more than a few flavors at a time. You never hear any other races complaining about a sauce or spice overwhelming the food when theres barely any trace of it
>>
>>7537481
I think it's more about where you grow up. For example my mother grew up in the south, and is a lot more predisposed to spicier food than my dad who grew up in the North.
>>
Spices were initially used to cover up the bad taste of aging/rotting meat and produce, which is why the cuisine of poor people leans so heavily on using them. Conversely, white people were better able to afford unspoiled meat, and thus didn't have to rely on spices to make it taste good
>>
>>7538144
Horse shit.

While it's true that spices can be used to conceal the taste of food that's gone bad that use would be limited to areas where spices were in abundance.

For most of the world until recent times spices were very very expensive. Only the rich could afford them.
>>
File: 1454545294425-vr.jpg (101KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1454545294425-vr.jpg
101KB, 500x501px
>>7538144
>>
>>7536602
historically black ppl were the ones doing all the cooking so
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.