[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 33

File: 1409697014196.jpg (147KB, 1126x844px) Image search: [Google]
1409697014196.jpg
147KB, 1126x844px
Why don't we have stupid question threads? Seems like an essential thing for a board about cooking.
>>
What can I do with peanut butter other than putting in on bread
>>
>>7516512
Mix it into pancake batter

Eat it with apple slices
>>
>>7516512
dip apples in it
>>
File: raw-banana-cream-pie_3.jpg (261KB, 680x1027px) Image search: [Google]
raw-banana-cream-pie_3.jpg
261KB, 680x1027px
>>7516512
Mix with chili-garlic sauce
put in hummus instead of peanut butter
add it to nicecream

make this:

http://veggieprimer.com/mini-raw-banana-cream-pies/
>>
>>7516512
Make cookies
>>
>>7516533
fug, i mean put in hummus instead of tahini.

Is $7.19/pound a fair price for tahini?
>>
>>7516525
>>7516526
>>7516540
Can't eat wheat or apples
>>7516533
Can't eat garlic, chickpeas or tahini

Any other ideas?
>>
Threads started with simple/stupid questions often turn into some of the most interesting threads, because people who know how to cook always seem to have different answers (which is why we don't have a sticky).

Plus, multiple threads actually about cooking is preferable to keeping it in one thread when half the board is already fast food shitposting.
>>
>>7516547
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7516547
eat it off a spoon
>>
File: 1438115557667.jpg (31KB, 316x340px) Image search: [Google]
1438115557667.jpg
31KB, 316x340px
>>7516547
Do you by chance have no gf and also a dog?
>>
>>7516547
Put it in hot cereal when you've run out of better nuts?
>>
File: 1445589057252.png (169KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
1445589057252.png
169KB, 500x677px
>>7516512
eat it with chocolate ice cream
mix it into your coffee
eat it with pears, bananas, or strawberries

stop being a pic related about your diet
>>
>>7516572
I'm doing this, it's ok
>>7516575
Yes
>>7516577
I don't really eat cereal
>>
>>7516586
Dip a spring roll into it
>>
Does keto work? and if it does work, is it worth it?
>>
>>7516694
It works but you will literally smell like shit. Had a group mate who did keto to lose weight and he had a constant farty aura.
>>
>>7516694
It can work, but only because it puts most ready-to-eat fat people food off limits, so you'd be restricted to things you eat deliberately. A healthier and more enjoyable way to lose weight is to just eat *whole* plant foods (and b12, vitamin D and algae oil)
>>
>>7516722
It's not just farts. Running purely on fat causes bad breath, and high animal intake causes sweat to smell more like cat piss. It's why azns think honkies smell sour.
>>
>>7516744
>>7516730
>>7516722
thanks m8s
>>
>>7516730
>A healthier and more enjoyable way to lose weight is to just eat *whole* plant foods

Can confirm. You can literally stuff yourself as much as you can at every meal and still lose weight because everything you're eating is so full of fiber that it fills you up instantly. But it's all spinach and broccoli and shit so even though you feel stuffed, the calorie load is pretty low, unless you go full retard and cover every salad in 500 calories worth of dressing.

At this point I'm convinced that the only way it's even possible for people to become fat is by eating a low fiber diet.
>>
What do I do with my old serrated knife? It's dull as hell, but I don't really want to buy a new one.
>>
>>7516752
You make it sound way more boring than it needs to be.
>>
>>7516566
Sup mod. We already know you're too lazy to make a quality sticky. Maybe you could do something about the shitposting instead of deleting threads critical of you and disappearing posts you don't like in your threads. GO AHEAD AND BAN ME SENPAI. DO IT.
>>
File: 20160313_213727-1.jpg (3MB, 2634x1898px) Image search: [Google]
20160313_213727-1.jpg
3MB, 2634x1898px
I heard that they can't use open flames to cook on cruise ships. Does anyone know of that's true.

Pic related is a steak i got on a recent cruise. Obviously not cooked on an open flame. Anyone know their methods?
>>
>>7516689
I can't eat gluten
>>
>>7516789
Electric?
>>
how do you make a great soup without 2,000% my daily allowance of salt?
>>
>>7516789

Suis vide, then finished with induction or infrared grill
>>
>>7516814
Allow for more salt in your diet
>>
>>7516814
Wean yourself off it and eventually everything will taste fine without.

>>7516822
inb4 pointing to tail end of logarithmic blood pressure curve
>>
>>7516814
Soup is shit. Make stew instead. With lots of root vegetables and a bundle of mustard greens. You can pretend the salt in miso isn't there.
>>
File: 17 - hb7vqhh.jpg (504KB, 625x5000px) Image search: [Google]
17 - hb7vqhh.jpg
504KB, 625x5000px
has anyone made this, by chance? I got the ingredients and am about to try it
>>
>>7516844
I haven't but this is the best chili I've made:

http://www.weheartfood.com/2008/12/manzana-chili-verde-and-firecracker-cornbread.html
>>
I got some heavy cream. How do I turn it into butter without a blender, butter churn or other machine? I wanna do it by hand like a dumb ass hole so I can brag about it.
>>
>>7516857
Put in jar and shake, then give to an enemy instead of harming yourself with it.
>>
Someone give me good advice on scheduling and managing the cost of labor. I've just been putting people where I need them based on opening times and the events calendar. New management is going to put a chokehold on labor cost so I need to be ready.
>>
>>7516861
Why would it be harmful?
>>
>>7516875
Because it's butter.
>>
the hell is "cornbread"
>>
>>7516888

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread
>>
Why does my thermometer say my 3 pound whole chicken is at less than 130F when it's been in a 350F oven for over an hour!? I tested my thermometer in boiled water and it doesn't seem to be broken. This is urgent!
>>
>>7516509
its called qtddtott faggot

is an horse a meal
>>
>>7516512
Put some into a smoothie
>>
>>7516801
Spring rolls are made with rice paper. Rice is gluten free. You have no excuse to avoid springrolls now.
>>
>>7516767
get it sharpened and keep doing it until you think its not serrated enough anymore.

>>7516780
fuck off faggot. anons always make the stickies and /ck/ has always been and always will be anti sticky because a sticky for cooking is impossible and stickies are for fags
>>
I know microwave bacon but I don't know how to pan fry bacon. All the cooking sites never give exact instruction. All of them say "a few minutes".

How to pan fry bacon?

What is the exact heat setting (low, medium low, medium, medium high, high) and the exact time to pan fry bacon?
>>
>>7517035
Put bacon in a cold pan. Put it on medium heat. Turn it when it's ready to be turned.
>>
>>7517035
Bake it in the oven. 400 for about 15 min.
>>
>>7517035
throw em on the skillet/pan once its hot. it'll start sizzling when its cooking. give it *A COUPLE MINUTES* and take em off when they're dark brown and the grease is bubblin on top.
>>
>>7517035
Just pay attention when you're cooking. Bacon takes like 15 minutes if you're being slow about it. Cook it somewhere between medium and medium high.

It's safe to eat when it turns dark brown. Flip when one side is brown enough for you and cook the other side.
>>
File: 251d5fa5_2co1js6.jpg (541KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
251d5fa5_2co1js6.jpg
541KB, 1600x1200px
I bought some beef spare ribs that were pre-cut and cooked them low for about 2 1/2 hours and the meat is tender but the connective tissue to the bone still comes out really chewy. Any way to cook it down? I tried to cut it off but it was really difficult and took alot of the meat with it.
>>
>>7516512
Mix with brown sugar, butter and condensed milk. Put it on top of a burger.
>>
>>7517443
>and cooked them low for about 2 1/2 hours
thats not enough information. based on this info I would say buy better meat
>>
>>7517035
Medium heat and you take it out when it's crispy to your liking. The easiest way is to just put it in the oven though tbqh.
>>
>>7516844

I make something very similar to this but make in the crock pot. I don't include the corn though. Comes out pretty delicious.
>>
How long can I freeze pastries/baked goods for? Is it better to freeze the dough or after actually cooking it?
>>
File: 1429585488603.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1429585488603.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
I bought some chinese chilli flakes in oil, and it never grew any mold since I opened it which is about 6 months ago. Is it safe to eat? I don't have an electron microscope to check if there's any bugs.
>>
File: thumb_600.jpg (114KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_600.jpg
114KB, 590x590px
I'm trying to make a batter for shrimp that results in what's in pic but it either comes out too thin or too puffy. Any suggestions?
>>
>>7520065
yeah its fine
>>
looking for a quality chefs knife i wouldnt feel too bad about my parents fucking up

what would you guys recommend?

also where can i get those cool magnetic things
>>
>>7520065
The oil is preserving them additionally dried chili flakes last a very long time due to the capsaicin.
>>
>>7520279
Mix it less if you're using standard flour?
Or use beer to discourage gluten forming too much
>>
>>7522076
>what would you guys recommend?

Order straight from chinkland

aliexpress.com
>>
>>7516509
How do you boil oranges in quark cheese?
>>
Trying to find a good wok that isn't overly expensive (which it seems most of the ones on amazon are)
Must be
-flat bottom
-14 inch
-carbon steel (not nonstick)
Anyone have something they like?

Also, is there any problem with using soy sauce that has been sitting unrefridgerated for over a year?
>>
File: quarks bar.jpg (80KB, 746x570px) Image search: [Google]
quarks bar.jpg
80KB, 746x570px
>>7522109
>quark cheese
why have I never heard of this
>>
>>7522142
If you want a flat bottom wok then that's going to be costly because there are no traditional woks being made that way. Flat bottom is counterproductive to how a wok is supposed to be used. Looking for a flat bottom wok is going to greatly limit your options & therefore the price is going to be nuts. (Why do you want one anyway? If you have an electric stove it's powerful enough for wok cooking anyway)

>>soy sauce sitting out
It's fine. It's sufficiently salty that it won't go bad.
>>
>>7520065
Absolutely not, could contain C.botulinum.
>>
>>7522152
I live in apartments so yeah I will often have an electric stove. That matches with my experience looking though - that the flat bottom ones are all closer to 50.

> If you have an electric stove it's powerful enough for wok cooking anyway)

I assume you mean it isn't?
>>
Whenever I cook steak, the edges kinda shrivel up. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't lay flat on the pan after a minute or so of being cooked.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>7516512
You can make it into a peanut sauce for chicken satay.
>>
Why are steamers so damn expensive?
>>
>>7516857
Put ice/snow in a metal bowl. Put smaller metal bowl in the bigger bowl. Put in cream and whisk for 6 hours.
>>
>>7522576

Clams?
>>
>>7522330
Sounds like you are cooking some pretty thin steaks.

Bacon does this and the way to stop it doing that is to make cuts every centimetre or so in the bacon, doing that to a steak however would cause it to dry out.

Try making the cuts in the fat and see if that improves it, that or get thicker steaks.
>>
>>7522592
No. I want to try to steam buns and stuff.
>>
>>7522576
are you checking asian markets?
>>
>>7522604
Pan

Upisde down metal bowl in it

Plate on bowl

Fill larger pan with water under the stacked plate

Done
>>
I want to make some crumbly buttermilk biscuits. Is it better to buy or try and make buttermilk?
>>
>>7522710
That is what I do but it is a bit of a hassel. I would rather just have the part that is made for this purpose.
>>
>>7522704
Yeah. They are pretty expe sive their as well.
>>
My mom left some of the plastic wrapping from the meat's packaging in when it was being pressure cooked and didn't think to tell anyone until after they'd eaten it, is I gon die?
>>
>>7522810
Probly doesn't matter much if you're just using it recipes than need it for the acidity but I'm a shitty cook so don't listen to me
>>
how do I make my leftover roast chicken taste (almost) as good as when i first made it? Should I try to sear it? Just heat it in the oven instead of microwave?
>>
>>7517419
technically speaking bacon is always safe to eat, since it's salt cured. You can eat bacon raw.

I opt to leave my bacon floppy, with nice chewy fatty ends. Yum.
>>
how do i prevent chicken breast from drying out?

Feels like no matter how I cook/bake/fry it, it's always dry as shit.
>>
>>7522076
According to cooks illustrated, Victorinox makes a great basic chefs knife. Has won the best chef knife award for several years with Americas Test Kitchen. I own it and can say it's pretty great for ~$30. I'd defini
>>
>>7523541
brine it first
>>
>>7523541
Don't overcook it. If you're bringing it all the way to 165 degrees it's overcooked
>>
What are the little orange lumps that sometimes appear on my instant noodles?

Are they suposed to be there, or are they just flavouring that's clumped together or something?

I tend to pick them out and throw them away.
>>
What's the most I should pay to rentba pineapple for this werkend?
>>
>>7524616
* rent a pineapple
>>
Has anyone tried to replicate KFC? Do any of you guys, maybe an American share a really good fried chicken recipe with an Ausfag?
>>
>>7524621
bisquick and msg
>>
>>7524621
I tried making baked seutan tonkatsu. It was shit but my tasteless bf liked it.
>>
>>7524629
*seitan
I do not type well on phones.
>>
>>7524627
Don't have Bisquick, is that stock powder?
>>
>>7524631
Never mind, I Bing'd it.
What about pepper or paprika?
>>
What's a nice not-expensive as fuck chef's knife? Preferably obtainable via amazon .
>>
>>7524675
That Victorionox one. Its monolithic and homogenous construction means the whole thing can become edge.
>>
File: sandwich maker.jpg (23KB, 414x500px) Image search: [Google]
sandwich maker.jpg
23KB, 414x500px
I like to use a pic related
I put in my toast good ham and cheese.
After it's done I put green pesto on it and it's usually my breakfast.
What other can I put in my toast?
Once I tried blue cheese with ham and olives. Later I added mustard but I guess it wasn't best idea. Anyway it tasted okay with it.
>>
>>7523541

Fry the skin side until golden, and then flip it over and finish it by braising it in the oven in a liquid of wine + stock + other stuff.
>>
>>7524744
I like ham, cheese, tomato, Bell pepper and chilli oil
>>
>>7519756
Is better to freeze before. The structure can get messed up if you freeze after
>>
>>7523506
Just make chicken salad out of it. It'll be really good
>>
>>7524621
Just look up paula deens recipe and follow it
>>
Anyone here worked at a Harris Teeter? Thinking of leaving my shitty barista job to work as a part time baker there where a few jobs there just opened up. I'll probably get the job there because a friend said he'll vouch for me and my bosses at my current job said I can use them as a reference.

How is it there? Is there anything I should know before going in?
>>
>>7523506
Do you save any gelatin from the bottom of the pan after the drippings have coagulated?
>>
What produce is better to homegrow than buy?

Shopbought green-onions are rarely crunchy for example, so I might try that.
>>
>>7524886

Grow all the herbs you can. tomatoes are pretty easy to maintain and you'll get more than you know what to do with off of two bushes.
If you're a first time gardener, cucumbers are very simple and rewarding.
>>
How can I make egg shaped stuff like chocolate without buying an egg shaped mold?

If only I could put the chocolate around a normal egg but then remove the chocolate from the egg without having the shell attached to it.
>>
>>7516512
you can make a peanut sauce with garlic,soy sauce,broth and ginger. Pretty easy and fast to make. Put it on some noodles and you're done
>>
>old aluminum pot (70+ years old)
>used to soak a label off a bottle
>empty 24 hours later and there is white sandy residue on pot

What the hell is this??? Can't find the reaction anywhere. Help!
>>
>>7525019
What kind of liquid were you using to soak the bottle?
>>
>>7525019
>What the hell is this?

Galvanic corrosion. Nothing to worry about. Scrub it off and carry on with your life.
>>
>>7525021

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Water straight out of the tap.

I live in a major metropolitan area and have been here for many years.
>>
>>7525026

I also use the pot as a stock pot. I don't want corrosion in my stock. Should I use a different pot now that I know it corrodes like this? I'll cook my stock for a minimum of three days, and if it corrodes with straight water after 24 hours then it looks like galvanic corrosion may be my secret ingredient.
>>
>>7525030
>Should I use a different pot now that I know it corrodes like this?

No, you're worrying about nothing.
>>
>>7517006
Calibrate it to ice water instead
>>
>>7525030
>I'll cook my stock for a minimum of three days

Why? That's more than long enough to extract all the flavor from the bones, etc. Cooking for too long is counterproductive as it evaporates aromatics.
>>
>>7517006
>chicken is at less than 130F when it's been in a 350F oven for over an hour!?

That's not unreasonable. Just keep cooking it bro.

When you get a chance, check your oven. That's far more likely to be "off" than your thermometer is.
>>
Do i have an insensitive pallet, or is there really a taste difference between yellow and white American cheese? It pisses me off when people come over and are like "...Oh, you don't have yellow?"

No mother fucker I don't, white was on sale and it tastes the fucking same to me.
>>
>>7525034

I cook it slowly down to a demi. I remove the solids after 2-3 days and let it cook down slowly for another day or so.
>>
>>7525048
Well, if you're making a demi instead of stock that explains part of the confusion. but even so, why cook it for "2-3 days" before reducing it to a demi when about 12 hours is enough to get all the flavor out of even the largest beef bones? Anything beyond that is just cooking away flavor.
>>
>>7525043
>complaining about which brand of American artificial sandwich slice product is available
You need new friends and/or family ASAP.
>>
>>7525043

No, there's no difference. The yellow color is just a dye (traditionally anatto, though I suppose some might use artificial color)
>>
>>7525053

I suppose because I was from the "longer is better" school of thought. So I suppose 8-10 hours of initial simmering, then fat removal and straining, followed by cooking down for demi for another six hours or so would be preferable.

I'm still a little worried about my pot now though and will do a little more research. I could use another cast iron pot anyway but that would be one heavy sucker.
>>
File: amaranth-pic.jpg (379KB, 1239x1239px) Image search: [Google]
amaranth-pic.jpg
379KB, 1239x1239px
>>7516509
Whenever i try to make amaranth pilaf it creates a film on the roof of my mouth. It doesn't happen when i make porridge and i think this has something to do with the gelatinous texture of amaranth. Does anybody know how to avoid this? Also what do you do with amaranth in general besides breakfast porridge.
>>
File: eggs[1].jpg (52KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
eggs[1].jpg
52KB, 960x640px
How in the FUCK do you stop eggs from sticking to the pan? Even if I use a dickload of butter and olive oil it still manages to stick like a motherfucker. Is the only solution to use a non-stick pan? Surely there must have been a way to fry eggs before non stick pans were invented, right?

I also have this problem when frying fish.
>>
>>7525760
get a cheap nonstick pan for eggs. saves a lot of hassle.
>>
>>7525760
You have to cook them really slow on low heat. Also you can try leaving the egg to cook for a longer time so the proteins detach. But you have to realize that you're a massive hipster when you use a stick pan for eggs.
>>
>>7525760
>> Surely there must have been a way to fry eggs before non stick pans were invented, right?

Yep. A properly seasoned iron pan.

>>have this problem when frying fish

Make sure you aren't trying to flip the food too soon. When you cook with a bare metal pan the first thing that happens is that the food sticks to the pan. However, as the food cooks it will then release from the pan. Trying to flip food too soon is a very common cause of sticking.
>>
>>7516512
make ratchet weed edibles
>>
File: really guys.gif (471KB, 240x159px) Image search: [Google]
really guys.gif
471KB, 240x159px
>>7524633
>"Bing'd it"
>even capitalized bing
>>
>>7516509
How do I keep pork chops from drying out whilst cooking? Stove top or grill, it doesn't matter; I'm always underwhelmed. And yes, I marinade beforehand.
>>
>>7524612
pls help
>>
What can I do with maraschino juice?
I put the cherries in Ambrosia but I've got all this juice and I don't want to buy Coke to make Cherry Coke
>>
>>7526249
up the temp and reduce cooking time
>>
File: 1459380082278.gif (2MB, 286x210px) Image search: [Google]
1459380082278.gif
2MB, 286x210px
>>7524633

>Bing'd it
>>
>>7516541
Haven't bought any in a while, but that sounds about right. Wasn't cheap. Also, a little goes a long way.
>>
>>7526738
I already finished the jar because it's so good. My fat friend helped when I left out some sourdough flatbread I made with waste pre-starter.
>>
>>7526768
Whole wheat btw.
>>
>>7516814
You could make soup and don't add any salt. Swiss chard and new red potato as an example. Or something like a lentil Dahl with sweet potato
>>
>>7516575
When you have a dog you also have a girlfriend of sorts. If you know what I mean ;)
>>
>>7526596
Make Shirley Temples with some seltzer?
>>
what can i do with celery?
apart from using it in like stock/sauce/soup?
what about pesto, what to eat it with (basic basil based pesto)?
>>
>>7516512
put it on bananas. and you can use small amounts for your soy sauce. and cookies.
>>
>>7516844
corn in chilli is an abomination. don't do it. just don't.
the rest of the recipe looks ok so far.
I would prefer using 3 habaneros and no hot pepper. and to swap the minced turkey for diced lean beef.
>>
>>7516789
an oven
>>
Why do people get so autistic over steak? I like well done but the moment I mention that i'm treated like I just said I kill babies and worship satan whilst jacking off over a picture of the pope.
>>
>>7526891
out of curiosity, why not? any good reasons?
>inb4 hurr durr CORN DOES NOT BELONG IN CHILI
>>
>>7526947
there's always people getting autistic over something.
the reason for that is that steak is generally better when not well done, when it's well done it gets dry.
>>
>>7516857
Put it in a 2L pop bottle with a marble and shake.
>>
If the only non-meat ingredients I would ever need are those that you can make everything up from scratch, what would they be?
>>
>>7527008
I just made a chili with corn in it. I like it, adds a different colour when I don't want to add yellow peppers.

Chili purists are stupid, what constitutes chili varies depending on where you are
>>
>>7524612
Try to mesh them, see if they are flavoring moisted up and clumped. Otherwise i dint know what to tell you anon
>>
>>7526947

liking well-done steak is kinda like when someone says they think the sun rotates around the earth

that sort of stupidity should be eradicated from the human gene pool for the well-being of our future generations
>>
>>7516512
put it on your dick
>>
I like to prepare oven wedges. This however tends to take some time. Usually I would remove the peel and some of their fluids and let them sit in olive oil and herbs before baking them.

So I was wondering, is it reasonable to freeze potatoes once you've cut them up? Or after they sat in oil for a while?
Or are they going to turn brown?
>>
File: hatesex.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
hatesex.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
What can i do with this?
My step dad left this here after a bbq.

And yes, i have a shitty camera.
>>
>>7528420
Make pea soup.
>>
>>7516509
>why don't we have stupid question threads?
You're joking right, have you seen the rest of this board?
>>
How can I easily make my own popsicle molds?
>>
I have left over lamb bones from a roast. What do you do with them to compliment a stock? Rub them with vinegar?
>>
>>7527008
It has a texture and sweetness that doesn't blend in.
>>
I just ate a huge bar of turron and now I feel like shit, what can I do besides throwing up?
>>
File: 1436085091827.png (182KB, 442x341px) Image search: [Google]
1436085091827.png
182KB, 442x341px
What fast food can I buy, but not eat until tomorrow morning and still have it taste somewhat good?

hardmode: no pizza
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.jpg (99KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.jpg
99KB, 800x600px
What does papaya taste like? I remember eating some when I was a kid and it might just have been unripe but it had almost no taste or texture. It was like a slightly sweet non-distinct melon. Is that it?

>>7529781
Literally any. Crispy things will probably not be crispy though.

>>7529390
Dillute by eating other things? I'd say just drink water.

>>7528600
Very easily

>>7528206
Don't know about oil, but freezing potatoes is perfectly fine if you're prepared for a more mealy texture.
>>
>>7525760
Pour a tiny amount of water around the edges of your egg and it will lift it from the pan.
>>
>>7529781
if ugot a microwave, order some chinese

fried rice and somethin else that heats up nice in mi cro wave man not dumplinugs or dim sims or something tho
>>
>>7516512
peanut curry with chicken and coconut rice. One of my favorite dishes.
>>
>>7526832
I put it in smoothies
>>
>>7526832
egg or chicken salad sandwich, potato salad
>>
Do youll use chopsticks while eating asian noodle dishes but not other genus of noodle? I pretty much know the answer already and its kind of confusing.
I guess it might seem kind of autistic or weaboo-ish to eat, as an example, spaghetti with chopsticks, yet switching between them and a fork seems odd as well.
It could be people are going for authenticity?, or a fork is easier for most; regardless its pretty much in-arguable sticks are best for noodle soups, but arent treated as such.
>>
>>7516509
at least get a different image and not steal /g/'s
>>
File: panna_fresca.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
panna_fresca.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
I have around 300ml of fresh cream that I need to use because it will expire.
Beside doing Ganache, what is a nice thing I could do with it?
>>
>>7533918
fucking drink it
>>
>>7533918
shoot a low budget porn
>>
Add coconut flakes to coffee grounds?

Y/N

What else can you add when brewing coffee?
>>
>>7533897
using chopsticks to eat asian food isn't done because it's the "right way to do it", it's because of asian culture. eat however you want

i'd use chopsticks for asian noodles and fork+spoon to eat italian noodles because that's how they do it in their cultures.
>>
>>7533995
I like to put cardamom and/or cinnamon in my coffee, especially during the winter. I sometimes put chili flakes in my coffee too, it gives a nice layer of flavour and a bit of heat.
>>
>>7523366
Doubtful.
>>
>>7524886
Herbs are pretty easy to grow, I'd recommend tomatoes and strawberries also.
>>
I got an elk steak vacuum sealed from my friend. It was frozen solid at 10:30 last night. I forgot to put it in my fridge when I got home and just did so, IR thermometer said temp was at 54º F (on the outside at least). Safe to eat still?
>>
>>7534331
oh and it's about quarter to 9 right now. So it's been a little over 10 hours.
>>
>>7533918
Turn it into sour cream to extend the shelf life?
>>
>>7533897
It's not strictly always a practicality thing either. There's something to say for how either affects the experience of the meal.

I like chopsticks when I make Korean food because eating banchan any other way feels weird and is just not as enjoyable to me.
>>
>>7516512
Use it for some quick lube if you run out of Jam
>>
File: image.jpg (256KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256KB, 1600x1066px
What spices should I add to ramen? I visited my local Asian store and got some real ramen.
>>
What is a good recipe for whiting?
>>
>>7535096
also, with ray wings
>>
How do I macaroni and cheese?

I've got a box of bottom shelf macaroni, and a box of shredded cheese. Practically nothing else except spices.

Never made this before, and it's sunday so all the stores are closed.
>>
>>7535107
get milk and butter and slowly melt it in to a ghetto ass cheese sauce then cook the macaroni and mix em together obviously
>>
>>7535111
Alright, I'll see what I can scrounge up
>>
What is something easy to cook that requires a lot of milk?
>>
>>7535177
Rice pudding? Pancakes?
>>
What should i be looking for in a coffee machine?
>>
>>7535193
Yeah pancakes were my first idea too. I got like 3 L of milk and I rarely drink any.
>>
Why do eggs stick to my teflon pan even with half a can of pam on them.
>>
>>7535177
Biscuits and gravy
>>
>>7516509
Bump
>>
>>7535410

Either your pan is fucked up due to improper care or you have the heat much too high. Post pic of pan and we can tell you if it's the former.
>>
>>7535177
Chocolate milk
>>
>>7535177
cereal
bechamel
milkshake
>>
>>7535196
good reviews or ideally a moka pot
what teh fuck do you need frothed milk for faggot?
>>
File: kfc.png (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kfc.png
101KB, 640x480px
>>7524621
I've made it, seasoning tastes identical to KFC's on fatty chicken.
>>
File: miku.gif (3MB, 420x380px) Image search: [Google]
miku.gif
3MB, 420x380px
>>7533918
you could use it to me beef stroke-me-off
>>
I made a cheddar cheese dip last week.
Besides keeping it on the heat, is there a way to keep it creamy? Within minutes of taking it off the stove it became a lot more solid.
>>
What bread recipe do you use for making Burger Buns/Rolls
Gonna go all out with my dad making burgers this weekend but I can't decide on what bread to make.
>>
I want to make a salad with shrimp. How do I season them and what else do I put into the salad?
>>
>>7516509
>>7516509
Just saying, but you should make the next thread

Stupid Question Asking Thread

/sqat/
>>
Why people lose their shit when i add ketchup to my eggs?
>>
>>7538755
It's not Brown Sauce that's why.
>>
>>7516694
you have to be actually fat to do keto, right?
>>
>>7516789
that poor broccoli : ((
>>
How do I know when to take my potatoes out of boiling water to mash them?
>>
>>7540404
stick em with a fork, if they hold on for a second or two, then fall, they're ready.

or fully cooked (overcooked imo) slide off the fork immediately.
>>
File: pbcook.jpg (37KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
pbcook.jpg
37KB, 800x450px
>>7516512
pb cookies bro
>>
how to make cookies crispy on the outside but soft and goey on the inside ?
>>
>>7540532
^chocolate chip cookies
>>
>>7540532
cream the butter really well (frozen butter)
>>
is there any way to make drink mix powder taste less shitty? I find myself having to use a lot of powder to make a drink, and the taste is not as great
>>
>>7541852

What kind of drink mix are we talking about here? Fruit flavored? Instant coffee/tea? Protein nutritional stuff for athletes?
>>
>>7541880
country time pink lemonade and arnold palmer half and half powders
>>
File: 1443389398926.jpg (24KB, 577x359px) Image search: [Google]
1443389398926.jpg
24KB, 577x359px
Can anything go wrong with trying to boil lobster like crawfish? I've always wanted to try and boil them like I do crawfish since lobsters just look like big ass crawfish but don't want to waste money fucking up the meat
>>
getting a deep fryer on thursday. any tips on finding recipes or not ruining my food? can I just throw whatever the fuck I want in there and let it boil?
>>
>>7541852
Mio is pretty tasty and you don't have to use a lot. If what you're drinking isn't sweet enough then just add a bit of sugar.
>>
>>7542373
no, Im trying to think of how to make it taste good without just tasting sugary, like maybe letting it soak in fruit or something
>>
>>7516814
Make your own stock, don't add any salt to it
>>
Asked on /g/ before I saw this thread here, so I'll repost:

I kind of feel like making a cheddar cheese milkshake, will I regret it?

Also what's the best way to do this? Should I melt the cheese first, or just dump it in the blender and hope for the best?
>>
>>7534235
Certain types of food actually work better with chopsticks though. I can't imagine eating sashimi with a fork, I'd feel like a barbarian.

But yeah I'd agree that for the vast majority of things I say fuck it.
>>
>>7543782
1 powdered cheese packet from Kraft Diner
1 banana
milk
yogurt
blend
>>
>>7537878
your gif made me go back to /c/ although i tried to quit the board since i´m a 30 yo male by now
>>
>>7524744
smoked salmon and cream cheese, eat with lettuce or cucumber
>>
>>7524960
1. dip egg halfway in chocolate
2. harden
3. remove chocolate from egg
4. dip other half in chocolate
5. harden
6. 'glue' two halves together with hot chocolate

WA LA
>>
>>7528600
aluminium paper m8
>>
>>7516857
put it in a glass bottle and shake for a few minutes
>>
File: 2015-05-11.jpg (262KB, 1270x949px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-11.jpg
262KB, 1270x949px
>>7538022
Anyone?
>>
I have left over rib bones.

How do I make use of them for a soup? Just boil for an hour or so then do normal soup procedure: add stock cube, etc?
>>
>>7544779
It's fucking sad when a "stock cube" is considered "normal" and not an act of desperation.
>>
>>7544790
Why is a stock cube desperation? Do you make your own stock and how? Plain water really dilutes things.
>>
File: 1456430551172[2].jpg (65KB, 566x346px) Image search: [Google]
1456430551172[2].jpg
65KB, 566x346px
sardine & sour cream scrambled eggs (with some chives) and chef john's colcannon hash

good idea, yes/no
>>
>>7545116
>collect bones/bits from whatever meat
>place in pot of water
>simmer
>add vegetables
>strain
>>
How do I make my boiru-eggu easy to crack?
I also want the innards to be pink-ish and not yellow. Pinkish innards taste more delicious.

My current method:
1. pour water in pot
2. put egg
3. turn on stove
4. set timer 18 mins
5. turn off stove
6. get egg
7. peel the fuck out of it
>>
>>7516509
how do i boil water
>>
>>7545974
How do you store the bones? How do you know when you've accumulated enough bones to make stock?
>>
>>7522148
I love ds9..
>>
>>7546123
You can freeze them. I usually wait until I get 5 lbs of bones before making stock with a large onion, two carrots, two celery sticks, a few whole peppercorns, bay leaf, fresh thyme and cold water. Then just simmer gently for an hour or more, strain and voila. If you have beef bones then roast them in the oven with the veggies first (brown stock); with chicken there's no need (white stock).
>>
>>7526832
Braised celery is a delicious side dish
>>
File: IMAG0119.jpg (4MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0119.jpg
4MB, 3024x5376px
Hey guys, I'm a pretty hungry poorfag and I stumbled across an old cinnamon raisin bagel from two days ago. It's got cream cheese on it so I'm a little worried about that, but it was wrapped in the little tissue thing which was in a paper bag with the edge folded over so as little air as possible could get in. Is this thing safe to eat? Also, it's a little stale of course, is there anything I can do to undo that?
>>
>>7547584
Fry it
>>
>>7547592
So it is safe to eat though?
>>
>>7547584
Go to a soup kitchen, anon. That might make you ill.
>>
>>7547602
Yeah dont worry, they put so much conservatives in this shit that your corpse will dance to mj for years
>>
>>7546123
I usually make chicken stocks, and maybe mushroom stocks, not much else. What that anon said is correct, though I don't season mine as much usually if only to allow for more versatility in their later use. It works out well because you can buy a chicken, break it down, and then make stock using the carcass, whether raw or cooked.

Collagen from the bones dissolves into the stock, making it somewhat gelatinous when cool. This gives a greater richness of flavor to any dish when compared to a store-bought stock and allows for more variety in preparation. Different herbs can be used as well as different parts of the bird. It is common to include the wing meat, which gives a good flavor. A stock like this will have certain desirable characteristics that store-bought stocks do not.
>>
>>7547584
don't eat that!
>>
>>7546123
>How do you store the bones?
I toss 'em in a ziploc bag in the freezer

>>How do you know when you've accumulated enough bones to make stock?

That's like asking how do you know when you have enough X to make a meal. It depends on how much you want to make. You could make stock with a single bone, it just won't be very much. The standard recipe that I see repeated in just about every cookbook calls for 8 lbs of bones to 4 quarts of water so that should give you an idea of the sort of ratios you are working with.
>>
I've got some uncooked pork fat and bones left over, what could I make with that?
>>
>>7548915
You can use the fat to cook with in place of butter, oil, etc. That goes for things like pan-frying, making a roux, or for use in savory baked goods.

The bones can be used to make soup or stock.
>>
>>7548928
I don't think pork stock is something that's used in anything desu
>>
>>7548938
>what is chinese cuisine
>>
>>7548938
Sure it is. I make, and use, pork stock often.

It's great for soups built on beans (like split pea soup, mexican pinto bean soup, etc.). It's great for cooking collard greens. Reduce it and you get a nice sauce you can use for pork dishes (roast, loin, chops, etc.) There's even a special kind of extra-strong pork stock used for Ramen; it's called tonkotsu.

You can even buy instant pork bullion cubes if you're too lazy to make it.
>>
>>7548951
how do you make your pork stock?
>>
>>7548959

>>>>7545974
>>
>>7548959
Same as any other kind of stock:
8 lbs bones & meaty scraps
1 lb mirepoix
4 quarts cold water
Put in pot and simmer for several hours.
>>
Is the only reason to get a rice cooker because you're too lazy to cook it any other way?

I just boil rice in a pan. Never had any problems, but since it's the only way I've ever done it, I don't know if rice cookers actually make any difference.
>>
>>7525760

The oil in the pan should be hot enough to fry the skin before it actually touches the metal, with fish. You can very gently slide a part of the filet against the pan to check if it's hot enough, if it sticks it needs to be warmer, if it slides properly it's hot enough and won't fuse to the pan.
>>
File: skin.png (2MB, 1325x633px) Image search: [Google]
skin.png
2MB, 1325x633px
>>7516844
I was gonna, but I changed the ingredients.

I made mine with onion, sweetcorn, brocolli, turkey mince, passata, brown rice, and chicken stock.

I didn't use peppers, chilli powder, and didn't use kidney beans because I'm not too fond of them.

It wasn't very good, and stunk up the house. I probably used too much tomato paste. Also, the portions were larger than I expected, and it almost overflowed the pot I was cooking it in.

It kind of grew on me though, with the last portions. Maybe because there was less tomato flavoured sauce, and it dried out when I microwaved it.

Pic related is what it looked like. Comes up to barely over 3000 calories total.

Forgive the dirty everything, I cooked this while I was staying at a relatives, and they had just cooked beforehand.
>>
File: Pay-cat.jpg (44KB, 615x628px) Image search: [Google]
Pay-cat.jpg
44KB, 615x628px
>>7549130
not sure what's going on here....that's all ground turkey?

wasn't it supposed to be chili?

and the broccoli...oh jeeze. i'm really confused.
>>
>>7549204
Like I said, I changed the ingredients.
>>
>>7549216
well uhh...thanks for posting. what do you call it?
>>
>>7549238
uhh, Mediocre Stew McToo Much Tomato Passata
>>
>>7549085
Only if you're having rice 3 meals a day, and only the high-end rice cookers are worthwhile. Cheaper ones are absolute shit and cook evenly unless you open them up and stir from time to time at risk of hurting yourself.
>>
>>7549238
>evenly
unevenly
>>
I have a pile of hard chunks of whole wheat sourdough boules I began eating with hummus and then left out. How should I turn it into bread pudding if I refuse to have any non-whole ingredients at home?
>>
>>7516512
Put some on ribs
>>
>>7516801
What the hell do you eat, saltine crackers?
>put peanutbutter on it
>>
>>7516512
Throw some in the microwave until it's molten and pour it over some vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Common sense says chocolate would be the best, but vanilla is surprisingly good too.
>>
how to make hummus?
>>
>>7531089

it seems most similar to mango or cantaloupe to me.
>>
>>7550649
google is yr friend

>chickpeas
>olive oil
>garlic
>blender
>>
put in blender or food processor:

cooked or canned chickpeas (i soak and then pressure cook 10 minutes with pan in pot method),

whole peeled lemon (maximizes lemon economy, but adds bitterness, juice the lemon if you prefer less bitter),

tahini (don't try to to make this yourself. Trips the thermal fuse or whatever on a Vitamix or Blendtec. Get it in a jar or can),

garlic,
black pepper,
salt to taste (i prefer miso),
olive oil (I prefer to skip this. Too much will ruin it and make it disgusting),

enough water for it to blend.

You can also add turmeric for more yellow/orange, or a little beetroot to give it a deep red color. And a Huy Fong-style sauce to :^) kick it up a notch :^). I often add a tablespoon of the stuff from a jar.
>>
What are some iconic/traditional American dishes that I should eat/"experience" while on a trip here?

Will be visiting San Francisco in May. I live in a country known for its seafood, fresh vegetables, dairy products, lamb. Our only fast-food chains are McDonald's and Burger King. On my to-eat list is burritos and steak (because they are both rarely available in restaurants here).
>>
>>7550692
Pretty much this, but instead of the whole lemon and water, I just pour in the lemon juice until it blends right.
>>
>>7533918
Just throw some fresh herbs in and turn into a sauce
>>
>>7550669
+ salt, tahini, and cumin?
>>
I'm cooking dinner this week for a girl I've been going out with for a bit. What's a meal that is easy to make with little potential to fuck it up that still looks impressive and will make her think I'm a good cook and/or put a lot of effort into it?
>>
Is Minneapolis considered "flyover"?
>>
>>7552823
Cabonara is exactly what you are looking for.
>>
>>7516844
What is "leftover bacon". If you have "leftover bacon" doesn't that mean you did something wrong?
>>
How do I make vegetable broth properly?
I cut half an onion, maybe a pound or so of carrots, about six stalks of celery, half a head of garlic and had that all simmering together in water for about two or so hours.
It just ended up tasting like parsley and celery water.
>>
>>7516844
That's a lot to spend on lunch for only three days.
>>
>>7526891
I've made chili with corn and potatoes in it.
>>
About 20 years ago, there was brand of soy milk drinks, which came in plastic bottles with foil tops color coded with the flavor (yellow for banana, brown for chocolate, etc..). The bottles were off-white, opaque and a bit rough in texture.
I'm jonesing like mad and I want to track this down and have a drink. Does the description ring any bells as to the brand?
>>
>>7535054
Well start off by frying some white onions and fresh ginger with sesame oil your meat base maybe add a little miso, or RWV, when the meats about done.

You can add carrots, daikon, chopped shallots, bean sprouts, Bok Choy, pretty much anything.

Some good spices include turmeric, coriander, paprika, cloves, lemongrass, basil, cilantro, cumin, chile powder, anise star, just don't add any damn salt.

You're gonna have to mix and match decide what suits your preference though.
>>
>>7550692
I made a sesame seed paste once in my food processor with olive oil and a jar of sesame seeds. It didn't come out like tahini but it mixed well with my chickpeas
>>
>>7535054

to make those really delicious eggs they use in miso ramen
boil a medium size egg for 6 minutes and 30-40 seconds
put in a baggy with soy sauce and a little bit of sake, be sure the whole egg is submerged in the liquid.
let it rest for a few hours, then cut in half and serve.
>>
>>7554727
You didn't fry your aromatics first ?

No ginger ?
No star anise ?
No pan roasted cumin seed ?

Of course it tasted like boiled vegetable water with spices floating around that's exactly what you made.
>>
>>7555342

oh yeah, and peel the egg after boiling ofcourse
>>
>>7516509
what is the best way to thaw a frozen steak (roastbeef)

i was thinking of putting it in a zip-lock bag and putting it in cold water a few ours prior to cooking it. does freezing have any negative effcts on steak? i never did it actually.
>>
>>7538022
I personally add a touch of cream cheese because I find it helps cheese sauces retain there texture longer
>>
>>7516509
>Why don't we have stupid question threads? Seems like an essential thing for a board about cooking.

95% of this board is stupid questions, with stupid answers and stupid topics not related to actual cooking (.e.g meme condiments, meme fast food, ramean and other degenerate food because people are too stupid to buy cheap quality ingredients)
>>
>>7555360
The best way to thaw is on the fridge, and yes, freezing have negative effects on most food
>>
What does goat taste like and how is it to cook?
>>
does it take to be a cook professionally?

senpai tells me to pursue bc i dont have anything else going on atm, but i think i just enjoy good food and like to take my time
>>
>>7528420
You could use it as a base for tons of shit. My family does a tomato sauce recipe that uses salt pork to start it.
>>
How do i make bread i dont have any yeast
>>
>>7556160
Maybe a quickbread if you have baking soda or powder?

You could make sourdough, but it will take at least a few days. Goes faster with whole grain flour since there's more yeast already in it. In the meantime you can make crepes and flatbread.
>>
>>7556167
You see anon i dont know how to make bread what so ever
>>
It's still cold here and I plan to bake bread on Tuesday. What can I do to make a warm space to let it rise? I'm thinking setting my oven on lowest setting, letting it cool a little, and sticki g the dough in there.
>>
>>7556178
That would work, but dough will rise in the refrigerator if given enough time. It just needs to be covered but not obstructed if it's going to be left anywhere for more than a couple hours.
>>
>>7556184
So it doesn't really matter where I leave it, or is it still better to get somewhere warm if I can?
>>
>>7556205
Temperature affects more than just rate of rise. Flavor and stuff too. If this is your first bread, and it's sugar-fed domesticated yeast, I'd try warm.
>>
Does anyone know what "Donut Reduction" is? Was in a drink i ordered at a bar, but no idea what it actually is.
>>
>>7555530
Thanks!
>>
>>7556488
That would be a fancy name for a donut flavoured syrup.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.