[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: 601.jpg (19KB, 840x507px) Image search: [Google]
601.jpg
19KB, 840x507px
Post knives. I want to buy a set of decent ones, post your favs and what not, money not an issue.

Currently the only knife I own is pic related. Wüsthof chef knife, 20cm blade, composition X50CrMoV15. Satisfied with it but a few different ones would come in handy.
>>
I have some Victorinox knives. They're good and cheap. I'm not a pro chef so good enough for me.
>>
Are Wüsthof meme knives? Marco Pierre White uses Japanese knives and I trust him to know what's best ever since he made me try out Knorr® stock pots.
>>
>>7512529

Wusthof has a good warranty. Good steel. I had a Classic Chef knife with a cracked handle that was 8 years old they replaced it. In hindsight I wouldn't get any grip with a riveted handle as it is s failure point.
>>
>>7512526

I have heard good things about them for inexpensive knives. The Knife snobs will be along to tell you how thier $150+ Globals make everything taste better.
>>
>>7512568
>knife memes from 1993
>>7512520
depends on what kind of cooking you do, but everyone should have a couple of laser thin knives for the cooking that doesn't involve bashing chicken carcasses into oblivion. look for a french pattern knife. carbon is nice.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
I have heard about Kiwi brand as stamped cheap beaters from Thailand. They are so cheap I might get one for the hell of it. Anyone try em? Blade profiles look shitty.
>>
>>7512602
>money not an issue
>foaming over cheap ass shit
any cheap knife can be made sharp, but no full size knife under $80 or so can even hope to improve over what you already have
>>
>>7512602
I have that one second from the top, they are pretty sharp and hold an edge pretty well. Because it was so cheap I don't really care about it, I put it in dishwasher and abuse it.
>>
this one is nice, same price area too
>>
File: IMG_20160327_212840478.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_212840478.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I just picked up this Shun a few days ago. Cuts wonderfully as you would expect. I was surprised how much I like the handle, that little extra bit makes a world of difference.
>>
>>7512602
I have a bunch of the top one in your pic. Good cheap steak knives and good for small chopping tasks.
>>
File: tdm0702_1.jpg (45KB, 1020x400px) Image search: [Google]
tdm0702_1.jpg
45KB, 1020x400px
>>7513237
I see you got a classic Santoku. I've been looking at Shun's as well and hesitating between classic and premier versions, main difference being the handle and the finish.

I'd think I might like the premier handle better but they're a bit more expensive so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
>>
File: IMG_20160327_213041070.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_213041070.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>7513271
Personally I've never held a premier but I love the classis shun handle. The finish is purely subjective so that's up to you. Seriously any grip I use with this thing feels great.
>>
>>7512529
probably not, if you want to go for german style knives, wüsthof is maybe the first brand to try. also gordon ramsay uses wüsthof at his home cooking videos so they cant be that terrible.
>>
File: 51NhUI4-LRL._SX466_.jpg (7KB, 466x311px) Image search: [Google]
51NhUI4-LRL._SX466_.jpg
7KB, 466x311px
Don't let the cheap looking handle fool you, it feels kinda like a silicone spatula, and is really comfortable. The knife also actually has a good heft to it. Seriously, best $45 I've spent in years.
>>
>>7513319
please leave
>>
File: 12335463.png (522KB, 735x600px) Image search: [Google]
12335463.png
522KB, 735x600px
Get a $50 Tojiro and be happy. Good steel for the price, easy to handle/comfortable for long use, and keeps it's edge nicely as long as you're not retarded.
>>
>>7512520
Also, there's very little an 8 inch chef's knife and a paring knife can't get done. Most other knives are for very specific tasks. You most likely won't need more.
>>
When do you decide when you want to replace an old chef knife with a new one?
>>
>>7513319
That knife is just a /ck/ meme, I can just imagine you at home "honing" it on your meme steel.
>>
>>7514347

Don't drop it
>>
>>7514487
When I said don't be retarded, part of that is not dropping your knife. Which is also why you should get one of these before spending any more money than this. Gravity isn't kind on any edge. It's not a beater, but take care of it and it's the best knife I ever used at around $50. It comes from the factory with a sharper edge than most European knives which means it's gonna be more brittle. The steel in this thing is the same grade as lot of Shuns (you pay for the name, unless you're spending more the a couple hundred dollars).
>>
I'm currently trying to buy a Will Catcheside knife. His work is amazing.
>>
I bought a Henckel's Pro S 9" chef knife as my primary about 6 years ago.

It is pretty good and cuts better than anything else I have used (ie. anything anyone I know owns), but the handle honestly isn't the most comfortable for extended use and the full bolster is annoying when sharpening. I don't have any problems with the hardness (or softness) of the steel - I hone regularly and sharpen a couple times a year.

If I were to buy something new now, I would look for a more comfortable handle and a blade without the bolster. I would probably get 9" again. 10" would be nice but at a certain point it becomes annoying to be always running out of cutting board space because the knife is so long.
>>
I got a set from Japanesechefknifes.com pretty good price for knifes with Damascus steel
>>
>>7515086
>damascus

wow so fancy

Nothin' wrong with kasumi bro.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.