[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon seems to be cheaper for several groceries these days,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: saywhaaat.png (588KB, 1368x1047px) Image search: [Google]
saywhaaat.png
588KB, 1368x1047px
Amazon seems to be cheaper for several groceries these days, and has free 24 hour delivery. The only problem is that you sometimes have to buy in bulk.

Does anyone buy anything on Amazon or other places rather than their local supermarket? What are some tips/deals etc?
>>
You reminded me of the last time I made artichoke dip in the crock pot.
It was absolutely fantastic but I ended up paying like $10 for just the artichokes.
>>
Sure, just buy the largest size you can store of dry staple foods you like. I just buy 10 or 20kg bags of corn, buckwheat, quality rice etc., the savings are immense

The problem with 2.5kg canned foods is that the stuff has a limited shelf life after opening and needs to be refrigerated. I mean I don't really want to eat the same stuff 4, 5 days in a row, so supermarket sizes tend to be optimal anyway
>>
I've been getting a few supplements and niche items from there. b12, vegan D3, algae oil, dulse flakes (my only consistent source of iodine), flax seeds, broccoli seeds. Flax got really expensive at the local grocery.
>>
>>7476965
>What are some tips/deals etc?
Use your printed CVS bonus bucks to buy milk. $5 and $10 at a time, every other week with regular shopping, on what is already a loss leader item (cheaper by about $2-3 per gallon than groceries). Even Walgreens has cheap milk and eggs. They want you to buy something else while there. They also quite regularly run 2/$1 on those 99c arizona teas, which gives you 20 free with your bucks. Bogos on storebrand generic sales every couple months is stock up time on vitamins, meds, shampoo, toothbrushes, etc, and if you have an older relative to shop with you, one day per month is senior discount day too (look for the date taped to the front counter near the register).

Walgreens has great store brands that go on sale. Their water is now rebranded Icelandic. Gourmet chocolate, snacks, etc. Look for store brand discount days here too.

You do not need a membership at Costco, BJs and other clubs to buy the alcohol in the liquor store in front. It can be the best deal in town, esp when an item is on promotion. They only sell large bottles, which is a better value anyway, but at holiday time, they offer some "gift" packed deals with glassware, mixers, or limited editions of your favorite stuff at the same price as the bottle alone.

I'm totally lazy at stockup items. Prime is too easy and free. I too indeed let Amazon deliver whole pallets of my favorite drinks. It's sitting on my porch when I get home from work (very safe neighborhood).

Aldi has some of the same favorite trader joes items, if you look closely.

I will visit mom n pop diners that do free bread, soup/salad and dessert, and take a single bite or two of my actual dinner, and pack the rest for lunch the next day. I get to dine out, have a nice time with my spouse and we don't overeat. Should be a value in your town too that allows you some planned leftovers.
>>
>>7476993
>It was absolutely fantastic but I ended up paying like $10 for just the artichokes.
frozen artichoke hearts in the bag are the best value, not canned. Wait for store brand or Green Giant or Birds Eye sales to grab a couple extra bags for the freezer.
>>
I dunno, bulk rice and bulk beans on amazon aren't any cheaper than small packets in the supermarket, for some reason.
>>
File: cheappiss.png (392KB, 1368x735px) Image search: [Google]
cheappiss.png
392KB, 1368x735px
>>7476993
Good call, with any luck now I'll be able to use up my 17 KG of Artichokes within the next 50 years.

>>7477031
>buying water
Not a great tip if saving money is your goal.

>Prime is too easy and free.
How do you get Prime free?

>>7477057
I find typical mass consumer items are usually cheaper in the supermarkets which makes sense considering they're essentially using the same wholesalers as Amazon resellers, but buying more and thus saving money.

But anything that isn't hugely popular tends to be cheaper, especially imported stuff like KTC, Spain, Italy, India etc.

Pic related, this shit is often 5x the price in supermarkets.
>>
I've stopped buying toilet paper and paper towels in store now, they're much cheaper online
>>
>>7477073
>How do you get Prime free?
I assume he means that the shipping is free. You still need to pay the yearly fee for it, but provided you buy stuff regularly enough it tends to be worth it. Especially if you take advantage of the free books, music and video as well.
>>
>>7477073
You're right, that's pretty damn cheap.
>>
>>7477073
>How do you get Prime free?

Prime always has a free trial period. Sign up. Buy stuff. Cancel prime membership.
>>
>>7477073
How much nutrient-free meme oil are you eating?
>>
>>7477088
Very little, I mostly cook with it.

It's great at curving hunger when I have low blood sugar though.

Also useful for reducing calories from starchy foods https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/

Shit deserves to be a meme, it's awesome.
>>
I started using prime pantry a few months ago. It's generally a lot cheaper and gets shipped for only a few bucks. I just started buying my dog food on there as well and it automatically gets sent every two months which is neat. Prime has already paid for itself with the discounts they give on new games and the free shipping.
>>
>>7477099
I checked out amazon pantry. All the items are more expensive than in supermarkets and you have to pay a cost on top of that for each delivery.
>>
>>7477105
Maybe where you live but I have to drive about 70 miles total to get to a supermarket and about half the time they don't even have what I want. I've only found a few things that were more expensive there but the convenience is worth it to me.
>>
>>7477105
It's around the same price here, some things are cheaper and some are more expensive. With the delivery cost it's probably marginal savings unless you're also using Sub&Save or the child care savings etc.

>>7477120
Also it's probably worth mentioning I remember reading somewhere that anyone can sign up saying they're a parent even if they aren't and save an extra 5-25% on lots of shit. Probably worth googling.
>>
>>7476965
The most recent purchase was a case of Pomi tomatoes because their prices were better than my supermarket. Other purchases have been Organic cinnamon and coffee.

Beyond that the shopping is pretty good where I live (lots of aggressively priced specialty shops), so I rarely even have to hit the supermarket.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.