[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reducing fat from ground beef

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: reduce1.jpg (14KB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
reduce1.jpg
14KB, 200x170px
complete noob here.

What's the best way of removing/reducing fat from groud beef? Cooking it in water and then pouring the water (and fat?) from the beef? In that case how much fat does that reduce?

cba draining it with paper towel because I cook a lot at once so I don't see that as an option
>>
>>7441442
Skim the fat off with a spoon. Boiling mince in water will be foul.
>>
>>7441442

Cooking in water is idiotic because you cannot brown the meat in that case.

Just cook the ground beef in a pan then drain away the fat after you're done cooking. The photo you posted would work just fine. So would dumping the cooked meat into a sieve or colander and letting it drain out that way.

>>how much
the majority of it
>>
Par-boiling meat is a common way to render out fat/scum.

Just drain it and brown it in a pan afterwards like you normally would.
>>
>>7441465

It gets brown (all the way through) when I boil it. Why shouldn't I do that? I don't care much what it tastes like if that's what you're thinking. Just dieting and it seems very easy.
>>
>>7441442
Buy ground beef with a lower fat content. Also that meat gonna be shit if you take the fat out.

Jeeze your post just offends me
>>
>>7441490

Like I said I'm dieting atm. And beef with lower content is literally twice as expensive
>>
>>7441479
>It gets brown (all the way through) when I boil it

No, it gets grey. Don't confuse the two. Browning is a surface phenomenon only. There's no such thing as "browning all the way through"--that's impossible.

>>Why shouldn't I do that?
Because boiling ground meat fucks up the texture and also limits the flavor. Browning = Maillard reactions = tastes good.

>> I don't care much what it tastes like if that's what you're thinking
Well, if you're OK with the shoddy taste and texture then go right ahead.

>> Just dieting and it seems very easy.
It's incomprehensible to me that you'd be willing to eat meat cooked like that, but if you honestly don't care about the flavor then why not?
>>
>>7441459
>mince
>>
>>7441495
So just eat less, it's calories in v. calories out

You're less likely to make it if you just shove horrible tasting things in your mouth vs good things, but less.
>>
>>7441495
Buy ground turkey or chicken, then.
>>
LITERALLY JUST COOK IT AND STRAIN IT

HOLY FUCK
>>
cook it in oil, then rinse in hot water. that will get the majority out, 90% or so.

if you want to get to 98-99% fat free does as above, cover in hot water and chill. any residual free fat will rise to the top and solidify.

its cheaper and easier to make gluten steaks that are mostly fat free tho.
>>
>>7441442
If it was that important. I'd just use a leaner meat initally
>>
File: 1299.gif (820KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1299.gif
820KB, 250x188px
>>7441581
>rinse meat with water
>>
You take the pan and hold it 45 degrees. Take a plate and compress the beef. The plate will force the fat out AND hold it in place so you can drain it into a can or something.
>>
File: food_feature1-1_22[1].jpg (170KB, 1280x1642px) Image search: [Google]
food_feature1-1_22[1].jpg
170KB, 1280x1642px
>>7441581
this, except for the bullshit gluten steak thing.

then put it back in the frying pan and add salt and pic related, plus whatever other spices you want, like chili powder or cumin and some onions or peppers or zucchini or something.
>>
>>7441581
Why would you fry beef in oil when it makes its own grease?
>>
>>7441442
I don't drain anything, If you have the skillet hot enough the fat won't build up in the pan, that only happens when the pan isn't hot enough to trap all that fat in and leave a outer sear/crunch.
>>
File: capture67.jpg (51KB, 545x551px) Image search: [Google]
capture67.jpg
51KB, 545x551px
George Foreman Grill senpai, all the fat just falls away into the tray.
>>
>>7441667
it will brown better, there is a lot of water moisture in ground beef so otherwise half the "grease" that you are cooking it in is just water
>>
File: Picture_3.png (262KB, 512x389px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_3.png
262KB, 512x389px
>>7441674
With my patented new grill, all the fat drains directly into my mouth!
>>
>>7441680
kek, i was just looking for that
>>
You people are fucking idiots
>>
put it in a strainer and wait a few minutes
>>
I hate making extra dirty dishes so I just tilt the pan and dab up the fat with a few paper towels.
>>
>>7441720
Because no one supports your decision to boil beef? There is no such thing as good boiled meat.
>>
>>7441442
you should let the liquid cool as some of the liquid isnt fat, but other misc juices. sticking the liquid into the fridge should give you the proverbial fat hockey puck which is the final product
>>
>>7441867
oh i misread your intention, i thought you wanted the fat

just run it off holy shit
>>
1) Spoon out excess oil with spoon after frying in pan. Boiling will ruin flavor/texture.
2) Maybe buy leaner ground beef.
>>
>>7441674
um, i see 9 burgers when a pack on buns only comes with 8 buns.
>>
Two things - pour water through it after cooking, and pat it off with a paper towel.
>>
File: 1452201302139.png (87KB, 165x244px) Image search: [Google]
1452201302139.png
87KB, 165x244px
>>7442651
>>
>>7441667

the presence of fat pulls additional fat out of the meat. It's counter-intuitive but it is scientific fact and extremely easy to prove with a kitchen scale

>>7441591
hot water solves fat better than anything that isn't a phosphate or a toxically base chemical.

>>7441650

vital wheat gluten steaks are about $1.49/b and nearly fat free so fuck your mother.
>>
>>7441442
You may want to consider ground beef with less fat, but I'm assuming you've already bought in bulk.

Just brown the beef in a skillet as usual. If it's over 20% fat, don't add oil; cook it dry in its own gristle and you'll have plenty while it browns.

Be sure to salt properly to draw out the moisture.

When you're done, just shake it in a strainer and transfer to paper towels.
>>
it's not the 80s and 90s anymore, low fat isn't actually part of a good diet, just eat it and don't eat so much
>>
>>7442651
He's assuming you will drop one on the floor.
>>
>>7441546
>So just eat less, it's calories in v. calories out
I wish you people would gag to death on each other's cocks or something. I'm getting pretty sick of seeing this insipid tripe being constantly parroted.
>>
>>7443037
>B-b-but energy doesn't work the same for everyone! Physics is wrong!
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.