[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best oils for cooking different foods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

Which oils are best for cooking eggs on a non-stick pan?
Which oils are best for pan frying meat?

I've been buying cheap ass vegetable oil forever and I'm wondering if there's a better life out there.
>>
>>7419175
Nothing's going to do a better job of stopping it from sticking, but few fats are going to do a worse job. Butter, peanut oil, and coconut oil are probably the healthier fats to choose for the task. I think butter tastes best, but you have to be more careful about not overheating it.
>>
Olive oil for everything.
>>
>>7419185
>>7419188
>>7419175

I notice that meat is sticking to a non stick pan I have whether I use vegetable oil, canola or EVOO. Is there something wrong with the pan or is it the oil? I'm not cranking the temp very high either, the setting is 3 on a scale of 1-10.
>>
>>7419175
vegetable oil for steak (or any meat) pan fried
butter for eggs
extra virgin for things that don't need to be cooked / when you actually want to taste it i.e in a salad
pure olive oil for virtually everything else

I use regular olive oil 80% of the time I'm sauteing something.
>>
>>7419194
Try five. Let the pan heat up a bit before adding the oil. Make sure the oil is hot before you add the food.
>>
>>7419200
Would higher heat prevent sticking? I assumed it would stick more easily at a higher heat.
>>
Clarified butter for everything.
>>
>>7419203
It sticks at both too high a heat and too low a heat.
>>
>>7419205
I'll try it out tomorrow
>>
>>7419175
Olive oil is the best oil for everything. You can even use extra virgin olive oil for deep frying. Don't forget to use more olive oil in your diet as it has anti-cancer properties. People who use olive oil on a regular basis for cooking live an average of 5 years more (except japanese people but one can contend that they are not human anyways)
>>
>>7419175
google what temperature different oil works best at, this is pretty much the only thing that matters.

use a tasteless oil. if frying meat use a mix of butter and oil, not margarine, butter
>>
>>7419194
you are boiling your meat in the frying pan, use more heat.

use any oil that can take high temperatures, use 50/50 that and butter
>>
>>7419204

what kind of butter?
>>
>>7419337
Or garlic infused olive oil
>>
>>7419337
to me this seems about as legit as those assholes pushing Himalaya rock salt..

also: extra virgin olive oil in general does not take heat very well..

it is recommended that you use regular olive oil for all kinds of cooking, extra virgin is used for salads etc
>>
>>7419459
isnt that just a meme so countries that dont have cheap extra virgin olive oil dont feel like plebs?
been using extra virgin all my life for pan frying everything, only thing I use vegetable oil is for deep frying and some recipes that wouldnt go well with oo like asian stuff and cakes
>>
>>7419495
no, its a fact, you can google how well different oil take heat, it will generate smoke (read, burn) at a significantly lower temp than refined olive oil, refined olive oil also have less taste and is generally better suited when you just need fat as it is as neutral as other oils.

extra virgin is a finer oil all in all, that is true, but you should only use it where you actually notice, such as for dipping bread or in a salad.

pearls for swines etc
>>
>>7419504
>extra virgin is a finer oil all in all, that is true, but you should only use it where you actually notice, such as for dipping bread or in a salad.

I get your point but here extra virgin isnt that more expensive, im not buying two bottles of different kinds, also here there are like a million brands of extra virgin and one or two of regular one, we just dont use it often
>>
>>7419512
although we had a fad of deep frying in olive oil a few years ago, we had 'frying olive oil' in stores, it was just regular non virgin slutty olive oil
>>
>>7419175
Vegetable oil is by far the worst oil, if possible pan fry meats in the fat of that meat(pork in lard, beef in tallow, chicken in chicken fat ect), butter and ghee also work well
>>
>>7419512
its not more expensive here either, I just prefer to use a better oil for frying. you missed the most important parts of the post
> it will generate smoke (read, burn) at a significantly lower temp than refined olive oil
>neutral taste

Seriously, try it once and you might be very positively surprised at how well you can see what is cooking.

I have resorted to extra virgin oil for frying myself, it works but I feel like I'm cooking in a fog compared to using a better suited oil.

when you see them wanting to add extra virgin olive oil to a salad it is because the taste would do it good, its about more than the fat, when you are frying a steak at high temperature, you are not preparing an olive steak, the oil just happened to be olive.

Use a oil that does not add taste and one that can take the heat without making a smoke screen
>>
>>7419449
ghee
>>
>>7419194
Don't use EVOO in a pan, use regular olive oil. EVOO is really just for stuff like salad dressing and dips. It has a low smoke point so subjecting it to even a medium heat is usually a disaster. I like to put it in soups and stews towards the end though. I spread it on bread as well instead of butter when making a sandwich.

As for frying at high temperatures, I find sesame oil is good for stir fry, and that's pretty much max frying temp. Like >>7419198 said, regular olive oil is a great all-purpose cooking oil.
>>
>>7420358
I don't think my nearby grocery store even sells regular olive oil, everything is EVOO
>>
What's best for popcorn in a pot?
I currently use sunflower oil, but my popcorn doesn't have the best bite to it.
>>
>>7420358
>>7420365
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen refined olive oil in stores. I live in Europe.

How do you "spread" oil on a sandwich? Wouldn't it just get soggy...
>>
>>7419188
>Olive oil for everything.
This is what I do. I do own some peanut oil, which I might use for a rare idea. I do buy plain crisco oil if I intend to bake some oil recipe like brownies, for being so flavorless.

For my eggs, I think olive oil lends heavy flavor, but I like it. If I don't want that with my eggs that day, I simply turn down the heat and use butter or butter and oil both.

I can't fathom why meat would stick in a nonstick. Maybe you should replace the pan, and for the replacement get as heavy a bottom as you can afford, in order to keep it the longest. It protects the coating from temperature extremes that cause it to burn or flake.. It also makes it have better heating. When fish and meat sticks, sometimes you can simply wait longer to try to turn it, or loosen it once during the process of the browning. Or, you can unstick it with a splash of wine, stock or water.
>>
>>7420365
>>7420385
I also live in Europe and have lived several places in Europe, every single place had refined olive oil right next to the extra virgin.

where are you from?
>>
>>7420377
>What's best for popcorn in a pot?
>I currently use sunflower oil, but my popcorn doesn't have the best bite to it.
Safflower and sunflower oil taint it with a funky flavor.
Ideal would be corn oil for the corn+corn symmetry like that. Peanut will work well, because of smoke point. Coconut oil might even be desired. The original theatre popcorn oil banned by food police publicity was hydrogenated coconut palm oil. If you really are trying to duplicate something, go ahead and buy the orville buttery flavored oil in the bottle sold next to the popcorn kernels.
>>
>>7419175
>Which oils are best for cooking eggs on a non-stick pan?
butter or anything with a relatively low smoke point
>Which oils are best for pan frying meat?
high smoke point. pic related. for most things, use a neutral tasting oil. i prefer grapeseed (rapeseed for you weird yurocucks that like rape and seed)
>>
File: img93544.jpg (38KB, 340x403px) Image search: [Google]
img93544.jpg
38KB, 340x403px
>>7420399
>pic related
>>
>>7420394
I've never seen that orville stuff. We probably don't get it in this shit country.
>>
>>7420394
I feel a mix of butter and rapeseed give a good result, I have tried various combinations and it seems to be the best option though you still have to be somewhat careful because of the butter but if done right you get beautiful popcorn
>>
>>7420399
grapeseed oil and rapeseed oil are different things. you're thinking of rapeseed and canola, which are the same
>>
>>7420424
that is less fun :(
>>
>>7420435
It's not my fault you're a retard.
>>
>>7420420
>>7420424
in light of new information I would like to correct my post, canola oil and butter is what I used
>>
>>7420438
why the hostility?
>>
>>7420439
Butter and canola/rapeseed oil is a great combo. You get the flavor from the butter, and the oil helps it not to burn.
>>
File: 1411269639007.jpg (46KB, 501x501px) Image search: [Google]
1411269639007.jpg
46KB, 501x501px
>>7420441
Is this your first day here, faggot?
>>
>>7420449
not at all, its just a valid question that I think is fun to ask because people are rarely able to give a good answer
>>
>>7420455
Because it's fun.
>>
>>7420446
yeah, I tried different oils with the butter, canola was the best option and I use about 60/40 canola oil/butter, you still have to watch the heat a little but if done right the butter won't burn and you get that buttery flavor that popcorn IMO needs to be fully appreciated
>>
>>7420462
Canola is by far the best oil to use when mixing with butter, because it has the highest smoke point while retaining a neutral flavor profile.
>>
I use canola if I'm looking to not add a lot of flavor/don't want the extra fat
>>
>>7419542
Ghee, you'd think he'd know what it is.
>>
>>7421319
>Ghee
in the western world its simply known as "clarified butter"

so try that instead, it might not sound as cool and might not make you feel like you are part of a special club but for communication it is far superior
>>
>>7421319
I see clarified butter was mentioned first earlier in the thread, ignore my snide remark, it was uncalled for
>>
>>7421756
i dunno why you're being so snarky. clarified butter is melted and has the solids removed, ghee has the solids browned before being removed giving it a different flavor.
>>
File: ghee.jpg (94KB, 1000x1048px) Image search: [Google]
ghee.jpg
94KB, 1000x1048px
>>7421772
both are clarified butter, they only call it ghee in the land of holy cows and not all ghee have browned solids, the most common ghee would look identical to western clarified butter
pic related, ghee/clarified butter
>>
File: ghee.jpg (18KB, 205x300px) Image search: [Google]
ghee.jpg
18KB, 205x300px
>>7421825
>>
>>7421825
http://altonbrown.com/clarified-butter-and-ghee-recipes/

there's a difference right?
>>
>>7421825
>>7421834
I know how much indians love their browned solids haha
>>
>>7421841
if you go to the country origin of ghee and ask, they will tell you that both are ghee, only western elitist assholes demand that there is a difference, if you go to some Nepalese or Indian shop you will find both types under the same name: ghee, because the only difference is cooking time, as in do you like your steak medium or medium rare?

But whatever, listen to that pretentious blogger instead if you want
>>
>>7421869
>alton brown
>pretentious blogger
>>
>>7421841
>>7421869
actually, the milk must be from holy cows to be ghee (all cows are holy so that ofc just means it have to be cow milk, unlike smen for example that can be made from milk of various animals)
>>
>>7421879
well, he is wrong and thinking himself clever in the process, what would you call it?
>>
>>7421825

dafuq? ready-made ghee exists?

I thought everybody just made that shit themselves
>>
Does it matter if I add in oil before the pan is hot?
>>
>>7422812
Personally I prefer to do that
>>
>>7422812

I was told that adding in oil before heating the pan could give you cancer

But don't quote me on that
>>
Macadamia nut oil
Avocado oil
Butter (grass-fed tastes better)
Ghee (clarified butter)
Palm oil
Coconut oil
Olive oil (avoid high heat cooking due to smoke point)
>>
>>7424420
>Macadamia nut oil
What do you use that for? That can't be general, all purpose kind of use? Also, that must be ridiculously expensive.
>>
>>7421756
>>7421761
>>7421772
>>7421825
Did you guys not notice the pun?
>>
>>7421756
>five syllables
>more simple than one syllable
How is that irrational racism working out for you?
>>
>>7419175
Avocado oil is the best all rounder.
>clean taste
>high smoke point
>great browning
>heart healthy

But eggs should be cooked in butter or olive oil.
>>
I've never used anything else than olive oil and butter.
>>
>>7424751
Why are you here, then? Most people interested in cooking have tried a range of fats.
>>
what good is avocado oil? do you guys have any experience with it?
>>
Piggybacking on oil thread to ask a question

What oil is see-through? I'm a teacher and I want to make a water/oil bottle and I want to dye both the water and the oil but I need an oil that's clear so that the sight color of the oil wont mess up the coloring.

I have olive oil and peanut oil which I cook with but I don't know what color they are because they go from a colored bottle into a colored pan.

Bonus if the oil is cheap because nobody is going to actually touch/eat it so quality doesn't matter and all I need is to make things with it.
>>
>>7424787
Mineral oil
>>
>>7424778
adding to this, what kind of foods work really well cooked in avocado oil? fuck it jsut sounds so good i want to buy it and use it but i just want to know if its good and versatile or not
>>
>>7419175
Avacado oil is most versatile and healthiest fat to cook with.
- Extremely High Smoke Point (500°F)
- Neutral Flavor
- Highest Ratio of Monounsaturated to Polyunsaturated Fat
- Low in Saturated Fat
http://www.centurylife.org/whats-the-healthiest-cooking-oil/

Be advised that any oil you buy has it's Best-Before Date on the bottled marked from when it was produced not when it was stocked on the shelf and results (shown below) found that many varieties tend to go rancid many months before the implied date ox expiry. Most tested go bad in 6-7 months.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-true-shelf-life-of-cooking-oils/

It's advised that you keep your oils in the fridge to preserve them from early oxidation.
>>
>>7424787
Coconut oil is but it solidifies if it's not warm.
>>
>>7419512
>>>7419504
>>extra virgin is a finer oil all in all, that is true, but you should only use it where you actually notice, such as for dipping bread or in a salad.
>I get your point but here extra virgin isnt that more expensive, im not buying two bottles of different kinds, also here there are like a million brands of extra virgin and one or two of regular one, we just dont use it often

The reason people are suggesting using extra-virgin olive oil for salads, and regular olive oil for frying, isn't simply because the frying neutralizes the flavor of the oil, but because extra virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point (160°C/320°F) than regular olive oil (210°C/420°F), so if you're frying hotter than that smoke point, extra virgin olive oil can develop a burnt flavor and carcinogenic chemicals, and its healthgiving and lubricating properties will be reduced. If you feel strongly about having just one oil in your kitchen, you'd be better off with regular olive oil than extra virgin olive oil. I used to keep just one or two oils, as I liked the minimalism and efficiency, but as I got a better feel for the different properties of oils, I usually keep 3-5 oils around now.
>>
>>7424706
you are a special kind of retard if you think the number of letters in a word count more than the word commonly associated with the product.

the reason people don't know its called ghee is because you generally don't ever hear anyone say it, you hear them say "clarified butter"
>>
>>7424801
I use it for searing steaks. Works great.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.