[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western Dishes Chinese New Years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Hi /ck/. I'm going to a Chinese New Years party tomorrow (yeah I know it's late) and I'm a white dude. I asked the host if I should bring any dishes and she said I could bring an ancestral dish if I wanted to.

I have no clue what the heck that would be, nor what type of ancestral western dishes would fit with the types of foods at CNY. Any recommendations?

>inb4 hamburgers
>>
Ask the host for suggestions.
>>
File: gefilte-fish-mold.jpg (56KB, 480x643px) Image search: [Google]
gefilte-fish-mold.jpg
56KB, 480x643px
>>
>>7401015
Not a part of my ancestry (un)fortunately. I'm German-French-Irish although I'd be willing to bend it a little bit to nearby countries.
>>
just bring anything you'd bring to a potluck

something tasty and easy to portion out for lots of people
>>
>>7401010
Get a recipe for fortune/blessing cookies, maybe even something nontraditional like chocolate. They're pretty easy really, basic rolled dough cookies, round cookie cutter, and fold them over the side of a glass or bowl when warm, til cooled. A silpat or nonstick sprayed air-cushion cookie sheet might make it much easier.
You can make very fun, exciting, decorated, trivia filled or endearing fortunes on your inkjet printer. Fold paper in half to protect ink, and tuck into the cookies. It's cute to let the fortunes hang out a bit, esp if the paper is good looking.

(Before someone says they are not "ancestral" or authentic or something, they were brought to the US by the gold rush era chinese workers
>>
>>7401013
I did ask a few times recently she said I didn't have to bring anything at all. It's the standard polite response though so I still plan on bringing something.

Currently just planning on doing a raspberry strudel but I'd rather not do a dessert dish if I could help it unless it's more exciting.
>>
>>7401037
Prepare monkfish then
>>
>>7401033
That's a fun idea. I'll add it to a list of options.
>>
>>7401010
OP Here. Probably not super relevant, but the lady hosting the party isn't actually Chinese. She's Vietnamese. There will be Chinese and Koreans at the party though.
>>
>>7401043
Never actually done monkfish before. Any particular recipes you like?
>>
>>7401010
Ancestral? What the fuck? Your ancestry or theirs?
>>
>>7401026
Well, being part French at least allows you to bring something good. Bordeaux wines, champagne, bayonne ham, cheeses - brie, beaufort, camembert, comte, gruyere, munster, reblochon, roquefort, tomme -, boudin, beef brain in black butter, terrines of meat or fish, foie gras, breads like boule or fougasse to accompany everything, et cetera...

Or rather, just one or two choices among the many. Bread, cheese and wine - couldn't get much more bare-bones ancestral French than that.
>>
>>7401084
She meant mine. I don't know a lot about Chinese New Years but I presume part of it is celebrating one's ancestors.
>>
>>7401037
When and if you opt to bring nothing, you'll still bring a little host/hostess gift to say thank you for the invite. This might be an after dinner cordial, wine, or a box of pastries from a local bakery that are deemed "well, I can't cook, but these are the best italian mini cannolis in the whole city." Coffee and big box of chocolates....and they can enjoy them themselves at another time. Vietnam had french settlers, and as such, has good french bakery influence, if you do go the storebought route, might enjoy some pastry making.

Are you german? Bring a german liquer they might not have tried. Honeyschlager, goldswasser, maybe a mixer if you know it will be appropriate. Then, to make it extra special, attach a card/note with a ribbon to the bottle. It's the thoughtfulness of that little step where it's a gift, not just something you brought for yourself to enjoy, that makes you get invited again.

My favorite vietnamese things at pho in northern virginia were the beverages, like the fresh lime soda, or hot coffee. But, the absolute best were these butter fried chicken wings at this one place, naked, crispy well done. Served with a bowl of limes to squeeze over, and a small bowl of salt/pepper to dip them in...Oh god, I still dream about them. Not all places had them.
>>
>>7401010
2016 is the monkey year, just checked....might go with a theme to have a laugh! Banana foods? Big monkey graphic on a cake? Spiced sweet banana and plantain stuffed tarts with puff pastry dough, or ordinary pie crust. Banana cream pie. Banoffee, frozen, let it thaw.
>>
go to chinese restaurant

order bulk egg rolls

bring to party
>>
>>7401194
chinese people do not eat egg rolls

they eat spring rolls

and they capitalize and punctuate unlike morose pot robots
>>
>>7401174
banana bread I was thinking.
>>
>>7401026
>french
do some pressed duck, I bet it'll blow their minds
>>
>>7401026
Currywurst with baguettes.
>>
>>7401010
You fucked up, OP. Should have shut your mouth and brought some expensive wine. Now you have your ancestors watching you from Valhalla. Did you really want to disappoint them and bring misfortune, famine and war to your kindred, OP?
>>
>>7401544
Alas I am a poorfag and don't have a duck press.

>>7401730
I don't think I have any Scandinavian ancestry, anon. But if I did I'm sure they'd be ashamed of me. I haven't even pillaged or raped anyone recently.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.