[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

microwave popcorn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: microwave-popcorn_0.jpg (27KB, 320x282px) Image search: [Google]
microwave-popcorn_0.jpg
27KB, 320x282px
why do people eat this garbage

popcorn is literally the cheapest, easiest, sort of healthiest, salty, tv snack you can buy and someone has managed to make it hell on earth

my dog won't even eat micowave popcorn and he LOVES popcorn
>>
>>7367228
I tried cooking them on stove top once, and it just takes more time and tastes the same.
>>
Is this thread a joke. Microwave popcorn is the the same as all other popcorn.
>>
>>7367230
No it does not taste the same bucko
>>
>>7367238
It did to me.
>>
>>7367238
I'm a supertaster and I say it's the same
>>
>>7367235
no it's not, microwave popcorn comes coated in that shitty coconut oil "butter flavored" crap, and by popping it myself I have better portion control, for when I want a little or a lot
>>
>>7367248
You should be more specific. like "pre-packaged microwave popcorn" because I thought you meant popcorn cooked in a microwave.
>>
>>7367257
not op but I got what he meant, the pic kinda referenced that it was about prepackaged
>>
How do I cook popcorn?

Also, can I cook popcorn kernels that are expired?
>>
>>7367248
Buy some organic popcorn nerd.
>>
>>7367370
fuck you richie rich, I buy great value popcorn kenels and pop them myself, it's better than the prepackaged shit and cheaper to boot, cause I gots to watch them pennies
>>
>>7367363
You can try but they might be too dry to pop at this point.
>>
I actually fucking love that butter flavor they use in movie and microwave popcorn. Guilty pleasure.
>>
Has anyone who has ever purchased a popcorn machine used it more than a handful of times?
>>
>>7367228
So what my mother does:

-Bag of light unflavored popcorn
-Melt half a stick of butter over it

It's hilarious, every time my mom makes popcorn for an event or something everyone in the room goes nutso and wants to know immediately how she made it. Answer is just a bunch of real butter.
>>
>>7367423
My uncle bought me and my brothers a popcorn machine when I was young but my dad never let us use it.
Do you know what it's like having a popcorn machine that you can never use as a kid?
>>
File: 20160211_215936.jpg (100KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
20160211_215936.jpg
100KB, 816x612px
>>7367363
get a high smoke point oil (i use grape seed)
swirl a bit into a saucepan (i use an enamled cast iron) with a bit of salt
put 3 or 4 kernals in and heat med-hi until they all pop
cover the bottom of the pan with kernals (only one layer!) and take off the heat for 20 seconds or so
put them back on the burner and gently shake until they stop popping
dump into a bowl, season, and enjoy

pic related is how many unspent kernals i have using this method

try popping them, they could work.. i buy a huge bag and keep most of it in the freezer and keep a pint jar at room temp

>>7367423
i had one growing up we used it all the time and it was great but they seem to be garbage now.. i had one and it only lasted a few so now i just use the stove
>>
>>7367472
you don't need oil to make popcorn
>>
>>7367493
what's your point? you don't need oil to make lots of things that work and taste better with oil
>>
I love microwave popcorn more than homemade popcorn.

Does my opinion trigger you?
>>
>eat popcorn nearly everyday in college as a healthy snack
>thinking wow this is way better than chips and shit
>find out about popcorn lung
welp

how much longer do i have gents?
>>
>>7367579
You know that's not how it works.
>>
>>7367582
Sure i'm not a factory worker but small amounts may not be good.

"To determine whether Watson had the same disease, Rose sent an industrial hygienist to Watson's home and he made a startling discovery.

"In your home microwave, you're seeing similar levels [of diacetyl] to what we've seen in microwave popcorn manufacturing plants," industrial hygienist Michael Van Dyke told Watson."
>>
>>7367579
>you literally have to eat microwave popcorn every day for 10 years.
come on.
>>
>>7367620
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl
Cultured cream, cultured butter, and cultured buttermilk owe their tart flavour to lactic acid bacteria and their buttery aroma and taste to diacetyl
>>
>salty popcorn

just another american abomination
>>
>>7367228
I think a better question is why does popcorn trigger you so much
>>
>>7368147
How's that inferiority complex treating you?
>>
>>7367238
It does. Remember: What makes micropopcorn taste like micropopcorn is the oil and seasoning.
Stovetop popping micropopcorn won't change that.

Never mind that there is like 20-30 common oil coatings for Micro popcorn. That all taste differently.
>>
File: Popcorn.jpg (211KB, 494x500px) Image search: [Google]
Popcorn.jpg
211KB, 494x500px
>>7367363
At 180C the popcorn pops.
Butter starts smoking at 140-150C.
Olive oil at 160C to to 210C(yes it varies that much)
Coconut oil, the common kind, at 200C
Palm oil at 250C
>>
>>7367228
My best guess is extreme laziness, culinary helplessness and custom. The fat they put in the microwave popcorn bags is disgusting. It tastes a little weird and fake buttery if you eat it within one minute of popping, but absolutely vile the second it cools off a little. The fat completely solidifies, coats your tongue with cold fatty sludge and chemical flavors. Every other popping method is better. It usually has a very stale texture, uses shittier corn (more old maids), and is much more expensive. Even air popped corn with nothing on it is better. I'm kind of fascinated by how many people prefer microwave popcorn.
>>
>>7368195
What about peanut oil
>>
>>7367246
If you can't taste the difference between different varieties of popping corn and different fats and seasonings, you're not a super taster. Sorry.
>>
>he doesn't pop corn with corn oil.
>>
>>7368510
anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between blue corn, red corn, and yellow corn. Ive tried a handful of varieties of popcorn, unseasoned, and they all have a distinct flavor.

blue corn makes better sweet corn.
red makes better savory and spicy popcorn
yellow is the generic every mans popcorn and its best in movie theatres.

i typically use coconut oil to pop my corn, but sometimes ill use butter. a very different taste they have.
>>
What do you guys put on your homemade popcorn? Obviously butter is a popular choice but what else?

I've been thinking about getting to saute some hot peppers in the oil before I pop the corn and see if it adds a spicy flavor to them. Don't know how well it would work though.
>>
>>7368583
>anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between blue corn, red corn, and yellow corn

i'm instantly skeptical every time someone says something like this

hurr durr anyone who was SMART ENOUGH would see that pink himalayan salt is manifestly more delicious than your bargain basement sea salt
>>
>>7368585
I heard maple syrup was good on popcorn.
>>
File: this_fuken_guy.jpg (68KB, 667x753px) Image search: [Google]
this_fuken_guy.jpg
68KB, 667x753px
>>7367228
Why has whining about microwave popcorn been such a meme these past couple days?
I've seen threads on numerous boards about it, news articles about pimped popcorn recipes etc.
Popcorn's popcorn, it'll feel like eating salted styrofoam no matter how you prepare it.
>>
Pizza is the one that always gets me

Making your own pizza is:

>Quicker
>Cheaper
>Tastier
>Healthier

and literally the only caveat I can think of is that it takes slightly more effort. Fast food pizzas are far too popular for what is one of the easiest, quickest and fucking tastiest foods to make at home.
>>
>>7368457
microwave popcorn has its place in the world. I sometimes use it, never again though after reading about popcorn lung, to stretch out my kettle cooked poprcorn. it adds a little variety, and chance to the mixed bowl. keep your tongue on its toes..? but eating a bag of popcorn by yourself is kinda gross. i did it many times. 4 servings per bag. 2mg of trans fat, 10 grams of fat. 600mg sodium combined. UGH. i just cant even.

>>7368585
for chili peppers, you break open the pepper and pour the seeds into the oil and then continue popping your corn. It adds a bit of spice, just dont let the seeds burn. its easier to just dash some cayenne pepper once its done popping.

im always a fan of some good ole fashioned HIMALYAN PINK SALT on my popcorn. its the best tasting salt for popcorn,
>>
File: noodles and sprouts.jpg (122KB, 938x619px) Image search: [Google]
noodles and sprouts.jpg
122KB, 938x619px
>>7368591
dont be skeptical just because you dont have a refined palette to taste the differences between different TYPES of popcorn.
thats like saying there is no difference between rolled oats and steel cut oats. They taste very different.

Let me guess, all beer tastes the same to you, right?
>>
>>7367423
I would if I could find one.
>>
What do you guys eat with our popcorn?
I'll eat a pickle or banana peppers. I also add a little honey sometimes.
>>
>>7368607

rolled oats and steel cut oats are processed differently and this makes the eating experience different. same with beer. you're talking about different coloured varieties of the same product, processed the same way. it's a different thing.

i haven't tried blue or red popped corn so i'm not making any claims about how they taste in comparison, but you sure as shit don't sound convincing when you act like the difference is only perceptible to a nebulous elite of which you claim to be a part.
>>
>>7368629
well im just saying, if someone has the ability to discern the tastes of rolled oats and steel cut oats, or happen to think they taste the same, that would be a clear indicator of whether or not they can taste the difference in corn.

Ive been told by a lot of people that beer, all of it, tastes the same. Not my words. I knew it wasnt a good analogy as i was typing it, but i figured someone thats dumb enough to think all popcorn tastes the same wouldnt mind much.

im not meaning to be mean. im just a popcorn elitist. im guilty.

>>7368618
with salted popcorn, any thing sweet goes. I love a bowl of blackberry icecream. with spicy popcorn, i enjoy sipping on some hot chocolate.
>>
>>7367248
Palm oil not coconut oil, you dumb shit
>>
>popcorn snobs

Now I've seen everything.
>>
>2 tablespoons of oil
>1/2 cup kernels
>Pop on medium
>sprinkle with salt (I actually like garlic salt)

It's light, fluffy, warm and healthier. I cannot eat microwave shit. Sometimes at the movies I'll let myself go and devour that shitty mess but my girlfriend and I spend the weekends with a movie each day and there is no way we could eat that nuke stuff.
>>
>>7368770
ooh look at me I'm an oil expert
fuck off
>>
>>7367228
post a pic of the dog pls
>>
>>7368838
the people who cant taste the difference between microwaved and hand popped are just retarded. I made my own for months and decided to buy a microwave bag just for the hell of it, and as soon as I took the first bite I had to throw it away. the kernels taste like Styrofoam and burnt oil.
>>
>>7367246
JASON????
>>
>>7368594
sounds great. i'm gonna try it .. with a bit of salt
>>
File: noochcorn.jpg (1MB, 2690x2030px) Image search: [Google]
noochcorn.jpg
1MB, 2690x2030px
>>7369761
Am I the only person here who loves nutritional yeast on their popcorn? Sometimes I sprinkle on lemon juice instead of butter so the yeast has something to cling to and it's heaven.
>>
>>7368891
Seconded.
Lemme see that pooch.
>>
>>7367248
You are dumb and should feel bad.
>>
>>7368797
I don't think I'm a popcorn snob. That's kind of like saying someone who chooses to drink anything else besides pre-ground Folger's coffee is a coffee snob. Seriously? Now you've seen everything? There is some truly pretentious food faggotry going on in the world, but this isn't it.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.