[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(kind of) cheap fish meals!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: index.jpg (12KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 274x184px
good evening /ck/ !

or at least here. but more to point, I've run out of good fish recipes. my family loves how i cook the fish when i make them, but I've run most of my recipes into the ground.

How can I make an amazing fish dish, without absolutely going nuts on the ingredient list?
>>
Crack open a can of mackerel, they're way better than sardines.
>>
File: 1449179263080.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1449179263080.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Put it on a pizza.
>>
I made some ginger garlic salmon last week. That was pretty good. Had a sweet potato and some broccoli too.
>>
>>7366517
>>7366521

That would be a good idea, but I've never spotted any cans of mackerel at the stores around here. None that are okay priced anyway. Most I've seen are anchovies, sardines, and those cans of oysters, or clams. Pizza is worth a go, but I've never actually MADE a pizza before, and that is a whole nother can of worms.
>>
File: perinteinen_lohikeitto.jpg (69KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
perinteinen_lohikeitto.jpg
69KB, 700x700px
Start by telling us what your usual recipes are. Quid pro quo, plus we can rule out the obvious ones.

I'm a Finn, so I tend to gravitate towards a very limited but specific variety of fish recipes. I'll pass on the outdoors cooking methods since I don't know if you have access to them, but one of the best ways to prepare salmon I know of is salmon chowder.

For about 4 servings:
1 salmon
1 stick celery
6 potaters
3 carrots
3 onions
8dl water
teaspoon allspice peppers
1 bay leaf
2dl whipping cream
3 tsp salt
6 tbsp fresh dill
butter

Fillet your salmon, and skin one fillet. With a kitchen scale, measure roughly 400g off of it. The rest you can store for later use, or increase the soup batch size.

Once this is done, dunk spine, head and tail, leftover skins and fins into your kettle. Peel and very coarsely chop 1 of your carrots and onions, and your celery stick. Dunk into the pot, along with allspice and bay leaf. Add the water, set to boil, and skim once scum forms. Boil for an hour, pick the big bits out, and leave the peppers and the bay leaf. Dunk in diced potatoes, onions, carrots and the like, boil for 15 minutes, then add the diced salmon, the cream, the dill and the salt. Boil for another 5 minutes. Stir well, taste, add more salt and pepper if necessary, as well as a knob of butter and a few allspice cloves ground. Stir until butter is dissolved, spoon into bowls, serve along with more dill and crusty bread.
>>
>>7366545

That actually sounds really good for the amount. I have used a few written recipes, Tilapia with Dijon mustard sauce being one. I admit to staple cooking. I find, or at least my family, finds those boxes of MacnCheese to side good, so that's sometimes what I do. I want to break off of that. But a good other half of my recipes are just me finding what I can, and trusting my nose with the spices.

As far as the outdoor cooking, I don't have many options either, being in a small apartment with tiny porch and no yard.
>>
Fish pie is normally good and inexpensive to make if you forego some of the more expensive ingredients like prawns.

Salmon is pretty cheap, though i'm a pleb and enjoy it griddled.
>>
Here's one of my go-to fish dishes, OP. It's cheap and tasty, and everyone loves it (as long as they like olives and tomatoes)

>rockfish or other similar firm, white fish
>chopped onion
>chopped tomatoes
>minced garlic
>chopped sweet peppers
>sliced mixed olives
>minced parsley
>lemon zest and juice
>olive oil
>Optional: artichoke hearts
>salt and pepper to taste
>red pepper flakes to taste

Drizzle a little olive oil in a pan, and saute your onions and sweet peppers. Add tomatoes and garlic, and cook until the tomatoes are soft and release their juices (if you are using artichoke hearts, add them now).
Stir in the sliced olives, lemon zest, and half the minced parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Place vegetable mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Season your fish fillets with salt and pepper, then lay over the vegetables and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake at 400F until fish is done and flaky, between 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven.
When done, sprinkle with lemon juice, remaining minced parsley, and red pepper flakes.
Serve over rice, orzo, or couscous.
>>
My usual go-to is just salmon fillets with salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and lemon juice served with an asparagus and mushroom mix. But I'm assuming you've done this. So this is a huge home run for me. This recipe is delicious. My parents are very "old school", and I've made it for them, and even they loved it.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/118018/a-whale-of-a-salmon-burrito.html

I don't do the toasting, so I guess they're more like giant salmon tacos, but the mango salso, chipotle mayo, mixed with everything else is amazing.

Cheers! (I'm American just drunk)
>>
File: 1452147839609.png (440KB, 645x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1452147839609.png
440KB, 645x1260px
>>7366495
Some advice I saw on /ck/ that will make sure you never run out of fish recipes.

Take a type of fish fillet, say salmon and cut it into fourths.

On each fourth try a seasoning combination and eventually youll develop a good seasoning pallet.
>>
>>7366545
>>7366573
>>7366689
>>7367137
>>7367156

All absolutely great ideas! I will definitely be trying them out when I can! thanks!
>>
Anyone have any roasted/grilled salmon dishes with creamy sauces?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.