[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is food in Germany so cheap? I moved here two months ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: 1453320954965.png (47KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453320954965.png
47KB, 2000x1200px
Why is food in Germany so cheap? I moved here two months ago and I have paid like 50€ for food per month, it's incredible.
>>
>I moved here two months ago
Muhammad pls
>>
nice how was your new year's eve btw
>>
>>7359000
>>7359002
Wait, are you implying that I am an Arab?
>>
File: 1334903567300.jpg (61KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1334903567300.jpg
61KB, 333x500px
>/pol/ literally on every board
>>
>>7359002
Also, it was pretty good. Had some fun with some friends.
>>
>>7359000
>>7359002
>The only people who want to move to Germany are towelheads

Says a lot about Germany, really.
>>
>>7359011
Did everyone wear vests?
>>
>>7358996
first non meme answer

Strong local economy, strong local supply, lack of govt subsidies driving up prices.
>>
>>7359038
A lack of subsidies drives up prices. You are correct.
>>
>>7359040
I thought subsidies artifically inflated prices because the govt was buying product out at a rate higher than what the market naturally would, in order to prevent bankruptcy in suppliers?
>>
>>7359045
No. A subsidy is any form of financial support.
>>
>>7358996
>>7359038
You forgot free trade, ensuring cheap agricultural goods from among others France and the Netherlands (the two agricultural giants of the EU).
>>
>>7359471
>Netherlands
Citation needed
>>
>>7359479
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-agricultural-exporters-map.html

I think it's mostly processed food rather than crops though.
>>
>>7359486
No it is definitely agricultural products, crops and milk. The food production is really efficient in The Netherlands and every square meter of land not used for buildings is used for agriculture.

http://www.hollandtradeandinvest.com/key-sectors/agriculture-and-food

Vegetables are so cheap here (I am Dutch) it is a shame that so many people here don't know how to cook.
>>
>>7359707
[spoiler]Mijn neger[/spoiler]
>>
>>7359486
>>7359707
This is baffling. What are they doing with such little land that they can be a major exporter?
>>
>>7359757
That land is entirely flat, incredibly moist and pretty damned fertile. Combine that with the fact that the Netherlands is a first world modern country (unlike many other countries with agricultural potential like Poland, India or China) and the Netherlands' third place is well deserved.

The question isn't why the Netherlands is doing so well, the question is what the fuck the rest of the world (other than Murika and France) is doing.
>>
>>7359783
America has a mad, careless approach to land use and France is populated by the French
>>
>>7359783
Dutch farmers are hard working people (compared to those lazy fucktards in France who only drink wine the whole day) and a lot of them went to university, resulting in extreme efficient farming. And indeed the land is flat and fertile. Apples, pears, cucumbers, potatoes, pickles, cabbages, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, carrots and onions is all exported to Germany and Germans love that shit.
>>
>>7359011
So Muhammad, did you get some Ficki Ficki?
>>
File: 1412169878599.jpg (151KB, 627x797px) Image search: [Google]
1412169878599.jpg
151KB, 627x797px
>>7359829
>France is populated by the French

>>7359837
>compared to those lazy fucktards in France who only drink wine the whole day

Clench your buttholes, are you ready to be completely blown the fuck out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

France is less productive than the Netherlands by a microscopic margin.

Let's see what The Economist has to say about those lazy Frenchmen who only drink wine all day.
http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21646235-if-britain-cannot-get-more-its-legion-cheap-workers-recovery-will-stall-bargain
>The French could take Friday off and still produce more than Britons do in a week.

In other words, the French could spend half the week (friday + weekend) doing nothing but drinking wine and they'd STILL outproduce the British.

Get rekt Amerilards.
>B-But muh higher Murikan productivity, MURIKA STRONK
That probably has something to do with America having ZERO paid vacation days and practically no legal sick day regulations. Welcome to the salt mines, pleb.
>>
>>7359837

Dutch produce game is ridiculous.
Having spent some time there I've learned that having a job at an agricultural company creating new, faster growing and more resillient strains of fruits and vegs means you're making serious money.

Companies are headhunting students from biology departments left and right. It's big, big business.
>>
>>7359007
>Why can't I escape the fact that the world is turning to shit?
>>
>>7359890
>America having ZERO paid vacation days

Varies by the company you work for. Most do, some don't. America is great at productivity but we could use more breaks - it makes people really on edge.
>>
>Americans pretty much immediately turning a regular thread into a shitposting reel
>>
>>7359942
What's the filename supposed to signify? What's the context?
>>
>>7359000
nicht.
>>
File: perfect_corndogs_every_time.webm (3MB, 844x446px) Image search: [Google]
perfect_corndogs_every_time.webm
3MB, 844x446px
>>7359972
>>
>>7359942
>>7359985
Bist du der Deutschanon der immer Jack-Krebs auf /int/ postet?
>>
File: 1387395328969.png (78KB, 253x235px) Image search: [Google]
1387395328969.png
78KB, 253x235px
>>7360024
>>
>>7358996
Okay now you gotta tell me exactly how you do that. It's about 70€ for me.
>>
>>7359045
>>7359055
In the USA farm context, yes, subsidies drive prices above the market.
>>
hello OP, i'm a regular visitor to Germany
and i actually totally agree with you. the food is a lot cheaper, but partly cos the culture is different. Aldi/Lidl and the other discounters are very much part of everyone's shopping routine, it's not just for the poor (partly cos Germany is very egalitarian). but you can go to posh supermarkets like Kaisers and spend an absolute fortune on nonsense
as anon said above, Germany produces a massive amount of its own food (especially meat and grain), and a lot of the rest comes from within the EU
plus Germans do a lot more cooking at home, so people buy fewer readymade meals, however they also eat out a lot, so cheap informal meals are easy to find too
i was able to get by on about €15 a week and eat well, which is a little over half of what i'd pay in the UK usually

protip: buy blocks of fresh yeast and use spelt flour as much as you can cos it's cheap as fuck, also because of sunday trading laws in some states, the supermarkets are usually closed, but you may occassionaly see one open, and they sometimes offer an extra 10% off everything as a bonus
>>
>>7358996
It's even better when you live in Berlin, at the Turkish markets you get fantastic deals on produce. Last week I got around 1 kilo champignons for 3 euro and 2 kilos of cherry tomatoes for 4 euros. You just have to get there right before they close down.
>>
>>7359942
>tfw I realize he's using a Shun paring knife in that webm

I'm more ashamed of owning that knife now.
>>
Germans is shit

France much better

Germans literally eat the shit
>>
>>7359021
It's a nice place. I'd probably move there or to Belgium if I could be bothered learning a second language. Speaking to people in my native tongue already makes me anxious enough, it would be awful trying to do so with a more limited vocabulary.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.