[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "starvation mode" real, or is it just something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 258
Thread images: 18

File: cover.jpg (215KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
215KB, 500x625px
Is "starvation mode" real, or is it just something fat fat fatties made up to explain why they "just can't" lose weight by dieting?

It seems like most information I can find about it presumes the reader is a fatty who just can't stop sneaking Ho-Hos between salads, and there's very little that addresses borderline anorexia or anyone actually skinny having these problems. Not sure if actual medical problem or First World problem.
>>
Yes, it's bullshit that I truly believe the diet industry made to make dieting feel harder. And yes the Diet Industry is largely designed to have people fail constantly, if we all just lost weight there wouldn't be anyone falling for these new diets.

Calories In, Calories Out. It's not rocket science. At the same time you want to get some nutrients in because you can't just live off sugar.
>>
>>7356484
>Calories In, Calories Out.
>inb4 500 posts on how that's wrong but it's actually not because no one can break the laws of physics
>>
>>7356494
More like 20 posts all repeating some variation of that with one contrarian who gets 3-4 replies before the thread falls off and dies
>>
Ask jews in 1940 if they entered "starvation mode" it doesnt exist, why would it. Your body is not going to stop using stored fuel just because its not getting any new fuel. Thats like you getting locked in a supermarket full of food and starving to death out of choice. You body has energy stored but refuses to use it just cause. Lol. Our bodies operate in the here and now, not the future, your body isnt thinking i better stop burning fuel and save it for when its really needed... its thinking do i need energy now, do i have some stored, lets use it, because whatever happens in the future will be dealt with when it comes. Whats already happening in the moment is what matters.
>>
>>7356537
>stop
No, it doesn't stop completely. But it does reduce the rate.

This isn't an excuse for fatties anyway. Fasting isn't how you lose weight. Eating less on a regular basis and eating less calorie dense foods is how you lose weight.
>>
>>7356494
Well the main issue is that people take calories in calories out as you have to vigorously exercise all the calories out.
Whereas it really means figure out how many calories you body needs to maintain homeostasis and then eat a little less then that.
Seems simple right?
But I guess all the fatties have been brain washed by the whole you shouldn't ever not get enough calories it slows down you metabolism and makes everything you eat instantly turn to fat!!
>>
>>7356553
This anon got it. "Starvation mode" is a thing, but also I'd like to add no one will reach it unless they're fucking anorexic. It's only when you're in a really bad state and your body is prioritizing fuel for the shit that keeps you alive
>>
like all "modes" thought up by /fit/ it doesn't exist
>>
>>7356468
Of course it's a real thing, it's just not nearly as common as people make it out to be. Your body does have certain defense/cooperation mechanisms. I haven't personally seen any fatty excuses from the "starvation mode" thing but if they're going to try and use a scientific discovery to excuse their behavior, how can they ignore the scientific formula of burning calories?
>>
>>7356468
>why they "just can't" lose weight by dieting?

Remove fat from diet, and dieting becomes a lot easier. dietary fat triggers a gorge impulse in the body.
>>
>>7356641
You do realize that fat free food usually has a ton of sugar in it to make it palatable. Otherwise it would taste like cardboard>>7356641
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>7356494
>person a and b have different metabolism
>person a absorbs 900 kal of a 1000 kal burger
>person b absorbs 800 kal of a 1000 kal burger

It's not as substantial as "muh genes" apologists make it out to be but it's real.
Food is not like fuel you put into a car, different people convert it differently...
>>
>>7356708
It just means they shit it out. You can still eat less.
>>
>>7356468
dieting and crash dieting are two different things you caucasoid.
>>
>>7356468
It's not true. It's a white lie told to people who are desperate to lose weight. Starving yourself will make you lose weight, period. The point is that most people trying radical things like starving themselves to lose weight are always very overweight. Becoming obese isn't something that happens overnight, it doesn't sneak up on you, it's usually due to years of bad habits and lack of self control. If you want to lose fat and keep it off, you need to address those habits. Just losing the weight quickly through starvation or surgery won't fix the underlying problem that must be addressed.
>>
>>7356468

The reason a lot of people don't lose weight dieting is because they're idiots, they are misinformed about nutrition and what they should and should not eat and most importantly they don't run, play sports or exercise. The most efficient way to lose weight is to be physically active and eat 5-6 small meals a day. Instead most people just cut down on food and then sit around doing nothing which of course makes them hungry.

TL;DR there are a lot of misinformed people and misconceptions about how to properly and safely lose weight
>>
>>7356468
Starvation mode does in fact exist, but only if you are in actuality starving. As long as you have a shred of body fat on you, you are not 'starving'.
>>
>>7356468
>Is "starvation mode" real, or is it just something fat fat fatties made up to explain why they "just can't" lose weight by dieting?
It's real.

As somebody who lost weight I can tell you that dieting is not easy. I tried various methods to lose weight and only one worked, the others would make me crash and binge eat because of the huge hunger cravings I got.

Your body cannot produce macronutrients (pic related + water and fiber) and is finished and bankrupt without them. Before that it will fight to the tooth to get those macronutrients and keep your dumbass alive.

Losing weight basically means eating less calories than you consume. However in order for you to stick to your diet you have to get enough macronutrients to suppress hunger as much as possible. What I found that works is eating enough protein (~0.8/KG), drinking only water before and after a meal, and eating whole grain breads and more vegetables. Top this with low calorie snacks like fruits, pickled vegetables and you're golden.

Anyway your body will go into "starvation mode" when you eat a low amounts of a certain macronutrient. I've found not getting enough proteins will trigger the most unbearable hunger cravings. Not getting enough carbs will cause hunger and fatigue. Not getting enough fats causes little hunger. I've found that eating 200-400 less calories than you burn daily, being careful to get enough proteins, and eating complex carb foods (like whole grain bread) is your best bet for losing weight and sticking to your diet.

Starving yourself completely of macronutrients is the worst form of dieting btw. You will be very hungry and tired all day long and your body will lower your BMR over time because it will start eating your muscles all over your body.
>>
>>7356709
But then it makes thin people using themselves as proof pretty irelevant.
>>
>>7356574
That's what I'm talking about. Is it possible I'm malnourished and genuinely need to eat more daily, or is it just that my brain is that of a stupid fat fat fatty?

5'7"
~135 lbs, used to be 215 about 5-6 years ago, lost most of that within about 3 months of dieting/exercise
2200 kcal
48% muscle mass
>>
>>7356641
Sugar triggers the same thing.
>>
File: 2000px-Body_mass_index_chart.svg.png (274KB, 2000x1667px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Body_mass_index_chart.svg.png
274KB, 2000x1667px
>>7356829
Your BMI is pretty healthy. I'd still recommend gaining weight and staying around 140 lbs to have extra fat stores in case of an emergency where you starve.
>>
>>7356719
What if you're a vegetarian with gall bladder problems who can't eat meats or fat or fatty meats and also can't have more than 1 or 2 daily servings of grains/starches because you're worried about your blood sugar/pressure?
>>
>>7356860
>>
>>7356860
See that's the thing, if I'm being honest I weigh 140 now but that's mainly water weight I figure cuz I weighed 136 last week and a few days before that I was 125. I'm just not comfortable with how quickly I gain/drop 5 lbs at a time and I don't have any registered dieticians in my area except from some "Wellness Center" at the mall that seems like a scam.
>>
>>7356468
It is, but it involves you literally eating less than 500 calories a day for extended periods. Your body basically stops burning calories.
>>
I don't think people understand how many calories are in every day things.

Sure it's right on there, but who actually looks, compares, and cares?

Who hold up a honey bun and goes "WOW, 450 calories? That's a bacon cheeseburger and a couple of fries!" they just eat it.

They don't think a "splash of milk" or "a pat of butter" is calories, even when they just added 100+ kcal to their drink or meal.

Salad dressing is the worst. I feel awful any time I see a fat person suffering a salad under globs of dressing... they're not happy or eating healthy.

I'm fat-- that's because I eat non-filling, high calorie bullshit and then need real dinner 2 hours after the family size bag of doritos has settled.
>>
>>7356861
>What if you're a vegetarian with gall bladder problems who can't eat meats or fat or fatty meats and also can't have more than 1 or 2 daily servings of grains/starches because you're worried about your blood sugar/pressure?
You're gonna have to talk with a doc about the carb and diabetes thing.

As for being a vegetarian you should consider quitting. Human beings were never designed to be vegetarians.
>>
>>7356886
>Who hold up a honey bun and goes "WOW, 450 calories? That's a bacon cheeseburger and a couple of fries!" they just eat it.
I do occasionally. But somehow my body just knows how much to eat to maintain itself so while I'm overweight, I've been within ten pounds of 170 for years now through no effort of my own.
>>
>>7356884
I've done that tho. Not deliberately, but it's just hard for me to make myself eat more than thrice a day at most, and then I'll usually grab a piece of fruit or rice cake or make an omelette or something around ~100 calories. Most recipes for richer food require a lot of time or effort, and I don't see the point in putting either into feeding one person.
>>
>>7356872
You're fine. Just don't go out of the normal IBM range. That's it. If you start getting close (~10 lbs) to the obese or underweight range then you should start to worry. Else don't worry about it.
>>
>>7356841
>Sugar triggers the same thing.
No it doesn't. Lots of sugary foods also have a lot of fat in them, giving the impression that sugar does the same thing, but it does not. Avoid sugar is a good idea, but no one gorges on sugar, unless you're a kid maybe.

But people gorge on pizza, french fries, fried chicken, burgers, etc, because of all the fat in them.
>>
>>7356897
>Most recipes for richer food require a lot of time or effort
If it takes you longer than 30 minutes to actively cook dinner, you're doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>>7356706
You realize theres tons of foods with no fat/sugar that taste great, or are good fats like most fish?
>>
>>7356937
It takes 45 minutes-to-an-hour just to bake a potato, man.
>>
>>7356954
UU
UU
>>
>>7356954
>It takes 45 minutes-to-an-hour just to bake a potato, man.
First off, no it doesn't, secondly that's total cook time. 95% of that would be you doing something else while they boil.
>>
>>7356973
>Boiling
Nigga I said bake.
>>
>>7356978
Whatever, it still doesn't take that long and it's not like you're sitting there watching it.
>>
>>7356861
You should see a doctor to see what can be done, you might have to change your diet if you can't get enough of the right stuff. A girl I know with low iron issues who used to be vegetarian was told to either start eating meat again or they'd start giving her blood transfusions.
>>
>There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate.
>one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally
>Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment#Results

>In very obese persons, it has been shown that proteins can be broken down and death from starvation occur before fat reserves are used up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response#Timeline

>After 1 week of refeeding the gross BMR returned precisely to the control value in each group and remained at that level until the end of the observations.
http://jap.physiology.org/content/12/2/230

Starvation recovery is habit-forming, starvation itself is not more effective as a weight-loss strategy than low to moderate calorie restriction, and the psychological effects of starvation are severe enough to lead to people attempting a starvation diet stealing food or otherwise binging. However, metabolic rate recovers fully.

The most important thing is probably to change diets, not to drastically restrict calories, since doing so for an extended period of time will allow gut microbiota to recover. The recommendation, as it's always been, is to eat more fruit/vegetables, stop covering everything in oil and bleached flour, eat moderately fewer calories, exercise more, record your eating, and keep this up for an extended period.
>>
>>7356468
It exists in a sense. Your body will attempt to use fewer calories after a prolonged (weeks or months) period of substancial caloric decrease. Eventually your metabolism will slow. Not in the dramatic fashion that some make it out to be, but it exists. Most say it's when you have a sustained intake of less than 1200 calories. Yes a calorie is a calorie, but you can't tell your body how to use it. Well, you can to a degree, but it's limited (lifting, cardio, high protein, high fat).
>>
>>7357057
Pretty much this.
>>
>>7356829
Did you have loose skin?
>>
>>7357074
>a calorie is a calorie
Humans do not eat calories, they eat fats, proteins, fiber, carbs, sugars, etc.

the body treats all these substances differently.
>>
>>7356872
> I'm just not comfortable with how quickly I gain/drop 5 lbs at a time
Change your scale's batteries.
>>
>>7357158
Calories at the end of the day dictate whether you are a skelly king or a landwhale. Controlling intake of them is crucially important.
>>
>>7357242
My dad has the most retarded electric scale. I swear the thing is like +- 15 pounds because I'll step on it, get a reading, then drop my pants which are a good five pounds with wallet and such in them and get the exact same reading.
>>
>>7356468
>>7356484
I've lost 15 lbs so far this year having one meal a day.

>wake up, eat a kiwi
>big 1000-1300 cal meal
>multivitamin
>full for a while
>eat another kiwi before bed

You don't starve yourself and it's helped my energy levels 3 fold.
>>
>>7357158
3500 cals is a pound.

Doesn't matter if you eat 3500 cals of pizza or veggies, you're going to gain that pound. It's just that the pizza is dense as fuck in cals from fat and not full of what you need for the day, so you eat more as a result.
>>
>>7357350
Many of those electric scales save the last temperature and just repeat it if the next measurement is similar. What you have to do is force a different measurement in between, and then repeat the real measurement.
>>
File: NoFaceGuy.jpg (325KB, 978x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NoFaceGuy.jpg
325KB, 978x1000px
> 105 kg
> salads for 29 days
> 85 kg
pic related
>>
>>7357416
That's still kind of a bad looking gut.
Like, really, really bad. Especially compared to your arms.
>>
>>7357399
That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>7357416
>dem wide birthing hips
>>
File: ufw.jpg (35KB, 308x462px) Image search: [Google]
ufw.jpg
35KB, 308x462px
>>7357421
>>7357426
57 kg here but is a six month old pic im 10 kg more fat now
>>
>>7357426
I'm guessing that effect comes from not having much core muscle while still retaining your fatty-tier thigh muscles.
>>
>>7357451
Great job anon. Don't listen to people belittling your achievement, keep up the good work.
>>
>>7356708
This doesn't disprove calories in, calories out. If your metabolism is slow adjust your eating.
>>
It's real, but it's not a dramatic difference.

If you really do wanna get your 2,000 calories (1,500 if you're female), then you're gonna stay/get fat by doing it with junk food.
>>
Starvation mode is a meme made up by dietary companies to keep people drinking Slim Fast.

However, your body will start cannibalizing your muscle and internal organs if it doesn't get what it needs from what you eat. As long as you get enough protein (at least 1g per kg of lean body mass is the standard answer) and vitamins, you'll be fine. The idea that your body will shut down and start producing fat out of thin air if you stop eating is horseshit. It just starts burning your fat stores. Metabolic slowdown occurs after around two days of zero food, but that's pretty much as far as it goes until your body runs out of things to burn and starts metabolizing your organs.

The reason fatties crash diet and then get even fatter afterward isn't because of some bizarre metabolic slingshot effect. They just return to old habits and gorge even harder than before.

HOWEVER! Exercise is necessary to keep your muscles from atrophying when eating at a high caloric deficit.
>>
>>7356468
metabolism does go down with extreme deficits but go 3 days with a large deficit then 1 day of a small surplus and you end up with a spike in metabolism that you can take advantage of.
>>
>>7357515
other than alternate health issues 2000kcal of only carbs & fat vs 2000kcal of balanced macros will keep your weight constant regardless.
>>
Multiple studies have shown that your body does make metabolic adaptions to reduce energy output after prolonged periods of calorie restriction, even if this restriction is mild. An example of this would be reducing the resting temperature of your body. The set point meme that fatties use is also real ti a degree , your body does have a weight it wants to return you to to maintain homeostasis, but this begins changing as soon as you either lose or gain weight, it just lags behind your actual weight.
>>
File: 1430738235833.gif (3MB, 628x402px) Image search: [Google]
1430738235833.gif
3MB, 628x402px
>>7356708
>>person a and b have different metabolism
>person a absorbs 2700 kal of three 1000 kal burger
>person b absorbs 800 kal of a single 1000 kal burger
>Person a is fat, person b is not.
>>
>>7356468
your metabolism will drop up to 40% if you cut calories dramatically.
If you go on a reasonable diet and exercise this is a lot less likely to happen.
>>
>>7356641
Your basic sex hormones are made up of fats so I'd consider them pretty essential.
>>
>>7356494
most energy is spent heating the body, so your body can very easily change how much it consumes. it's not a sum of walking up stairs and stuff like that.
>there's very little that addresses borderline anorexia or anyone actually skinny having these problems
if you have anorexia, then body weight dropping would be a bad thing, usually? But yes, being in "starvation mode" dramatically affects anorexics - much more than dieters, because dieters don't actually cut calories anywhere near as much.
>>
>>7356917
>>7356641
go eat a pound of butter straight up then cream a pound of butter with a cup of sugar and tell me which one you were able to finish.
>>
>>7356537
anorexics experience lots of symptoms - reduced libido, amenorrhea, reduced metabolism. The reduced metabolism makes it easier to gain weight once you start eating again.
>>
>>7356553
>>7356574
aside from slowing your metabolism. although if you're trying to lose weight exercise is an obvious way around that
>>
File: image.png (89KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
89KB, 200x169px
>>7356860
>im literally off the chart

Time to die
>>
>>7357917
height and weight?
>>
>>7357917
No, it's time to go on a diet and start walking on a treadmill 3-5 times a week you fat fuck. You can do it.

Take it from me, I went from 340 to 250 over years of dieting and exercise.

We got ourselves into this mess anon, we have to work our way out
>>
>>7356860
I know somebody who takes BMI so seriously that he regrets lifting in his youth, because he had to lose the muscle to get into a healthy weight range. I don't want to tell him how retarded he was to do that, but he's sure to find out eventually.
>>
>>7358006
remember: exercise is entirely unnecessary for weight loss. it can help, and it's good just to keep yourself in shape, but you can lose weight without exercise. in fact, exercising while you're extremely overweight might not be good either, although walking and swimming would be okay.

>>7358032
you can be overweight without being fat, but it only really happens to people on steroids.
>>
>>7356860
what do the other lines mean, within the different categories
>>
>>7356468
I hate fat people

the issue isn't even diet, it's lack of exercise
people have never eaten so much calorie dense food; but not in human history have people EVER been so innactive

I walk two kms to work every day, and that is enough to stop me gaining weight from a very high carb diet

many people don't physically move even that much

"starve mode" is really "physically active mode"
>>
>>7356860
It seems I'm always on the cusp of underweight and normal. I don't seem to keep on weight despite eating more sugar than I should.
>>
>>7358042
On the obese and underweight range they represent severity. On the normal and overweight section they represent target weights. Being in the overweight range actually isn't that detrimental to your health, though it's ideal to be in the normal range.
>>
>>7358054
you really have to keep count of your calories to have any idea

I thought I couldn't gain weight because of my metabolism, but when I actually counted my carbs I realized I wasnt eating enough

I just didn't realize because I skipped meals and I don't eat many fats or sugars
>>
>>7358037
True but that's why I said walk not run. When I walked on a treadmill for 2 miles I would lose 200 calories that day alone. All those sessions eventually paid off in the end along with a strict diet of course.
>>
>>7358032
All that extra muscle puts more strain on the heart. Lean and mean = long life.
>>
>>7358049
>the issue isn't even diet, it's lack of exercise
exercising can help and it's good anyway because it keeps you fit, but it's entirely your diet. you can be overweight and exercise, like some "strongmen".

some people drink an entire 2 liter bottle of soda or even more, PER DAY. this is 800 calories, almost half of what some people need for the entire day.
>>
>>7358065
ah my bad, i didn't see that. sorry. if you're still using a treadmill, try increasing the incline. you can go at the same speed but burn up more calories easily.
>>
>>7358054
The body will try and burn dietary sugar immediately, then store it has glycogen, and only then covert it into fat.

The body stores dietary fat immediately, and will reluctantly covert fat into sugar if it must. Most organs, like the heat and liver, run on fat.
>>
>>7356708
>Food is not like fuel you put into a car, different people convert it differently...

its exactly like that, some cars go farther than others with the same amount of fuel
>>
>>7358049
No the problem IS diet. Fatties eat too many calories, that's it. They could be exercising everyday but as long as they eat too many calories they will still get fat.

Fatty daily life:

Morning: mcdonalds breakfast, ~1,000 Cal

Lunch: cheeseburger meal/pizza , ~1,000 Cal

Dinner: something awful, ~1,000 Cal

Snacks + Soda: ~1,000 Cal

Total daily Cal intake: ~4,000

Cal spent: ~2,500

Cal stored as fat: ~1,500

So in a month alone they can gain over 10 lbs of fat alone. Scary.
>>
>>7357360
I do pretty much the same thing.

>vitamin + coffee in the morning (decent amount of flavoring/milk added)
>something sugary for lunch like a pastry or donut
>whatever the fuck I want for dinner.

I average around 1800 calories a day, and since I am so fat, I am losing like a pound a week.
>>
>>7358072
both are directly connected to weight gain/loss

you not eat too much and still get fat if you don't exercise, you see this in the elderly, hospitalized and sedentary

what I'm saying is that the real change driving this obesity epidemic isn't the food, it's the lack of exercise.
because if you expend almost no energy ina day obesity is guarenteed; how much you eat will just range in the severity of hat obesity

>>7358089
but in terms of health, it's better to eat to much and exercise enough; then to eat the right amound and not exercise enough
>>
>>7358069
For those who use steroids maybe. Else a typical person will only gain ~50 pounds of muscle mass at best.
>>
>>7356708
if you convert food differently then you are sick, your body isnt designed to handle it any other way
>>
>>7356985
Wow anon, you've never baked a potato?
It takes forever, especially if you double bake.
>>
>>7358049
exercising like that wont do shit.

the amount of calories you burn by walking 2 km is probably like 3 or 4 bites of your dinner

excercising will certainly keep you healthy, but unless you are doing intense weight training for half an hour each day, it wont affect weight loss by much
>>
>>7358093
Why are you putting such an emphasis in exercising? It won't make you superhuman you know. In fact someone with a healthy weight will have around the same lifespan of an active individual.

Point is fat fucks eat too much and even if they exercised it would not stop them from gaining weight at all. They eat more than 1,000 extra calories a day.
>>
>>7358100
A potato sliced lengthwise takes 15 minutes under pressure to cook in my pressure cooker in a steamer basket with a cup or 2 of water in there.

If you want a potato, that is the best/fastest way to cook one that I know of. And it tastes great!
>>
>>7358102
>>7358103
maybe I'm an anomaly,IDK

my weights been sitting at 65KG for the past 6 years and I eat a shit ton

last nights dinner, 1 cup rice, quarter cup peas, three potatoes, 3 samosas, 2 full strength beers
1 oninon, curry pastes, chilli thai basic etc

so it seems to me like my active lifestyle can be the only reason I havn't gained weight
>>
>>7358085
you work for the ACA and FDA don't you?
>>
>>7358125
You literally do not eat what fatties it, that's it. Where is the 1-liter soda bottle, bag of chips, candy, and super size meals in your diet?
>>
>>7358140
I thought people only ate that shit at parties?

I have had one glass of soft drink in like 3 months
I'l have a bag of salt and vinegar crips at the pub after a few beers, but it's not actually food; just something to do with my mouth that isn't slagging people off

and what is a super sized meal if curry and rise isn't? lasagna ? I made shepherds pie the other week.
yesterday I made a bowl of pho wth half a chicken and a heap of noddles and lap cheoung

what do people eat that could be more carb heavy?
>>
So have we reached a consensus? Is starvation mode a myth? Eating healthy is a huge investment for a broke-ass college kid like me.
>>7358113
That's cool, but that's not traditional baking.
Probably tastes great though. It's hard to fuck up a potato.
>>
>>7358188
>Eating healthy is a huge investment for a broke-ass college kid like me.
No it's not, you fuckcunt. Keep your eyes open and you'll notice healthy options for half the price of your cheapest unhealthy options. Stop making excuses for yourself.
>>
>>7358188

rice
beans
chicken
frozen veggies
>>
>>7356860
Filtered.
>>
>>7356468
eat 1000-1500 calories a day...I guarantee you will lose weight.
>>
>>7358188
roman noodles...I ate that shit 3 meals a day...fucking Bernie supporters spend more on food from hipster grocery stores than they do on rent.
>>
>>7356719

So basically you lost weight by following a sensinsible, regular diet. What other diets did you attempt before and why didn't stick with the basics right away?
>>
Intermittent fasting is one of the most popular methods by athletes, weightlifters, and bodybuilders to lose weight. Starving your body is probably one of the best ways to lose weight.
>>
File: 1442611865936.png (200KB, 960x730px) Image search: [Google]
1442611865936.png
200KB, 960x730px
>>7357865
>it's not a sum of walking up stairs and stuff like that.
>moving around contributes none to expending more energy
>>
>>7358159
Many many people get a couple bags of chips everytime they go to the grocery store, its basically a staple. It's actually kind of frightening going over to some people's home and seeing the kind of garbage that they eat on a daily basis.
>>
>>7358085
In Bizzaro World.

>>7358128
Probably.
>>
>>7358270
Sounds like he tried the no carb diet and just plain starving yourself. Of course not getting carbs will make you feel like shit, this is what happens to retards that eat salads all day.

He's pretty much on point, get enough proteins each day to control the worst hunger cravings, eat complex carbs, and drink plenty of water.
>>
>>7358279
but for short periods of time like for one day. it gets your insulin sensitivity back up
>>
>>7357451
very inspirational. my diet has been very poor lately. hopefully i'll have time for a better diet and exercising when summer comes
>>
>>7356468
Total bullshit. Body fat is stored energy to be used when caloric intake is not sufficient. Ask any infantryman who goes out into the field, or manual labourer in the winter what happens to their waistline. It shrinks because your body uses its energy stores. People get brainwashed by pseudo science too easily. Animal hibernation alone dispells this myth
>>
>>7358367
what you described is called a protein sparing modified fast.
>>
>>7357416
you lost 20kg in a month? 45 lbs? seems, uh, unlikely, at least unhealthy
>>
>>7356468
Your body will burn ~80cal less per day, if you are on a diet.

That's it.
>>
>>7356468
There was a fat guy in our group for a little while who was trying to lose weight but said that nothing he does works.

So I told him he just had to starve himself. Keep in mind he was eating way too much fucking food, explaining his overweight stature, so it makes sense for him to have to feel hungry to get to a normal level of eating.

But my God, the moment I used the word "starve" it was as though I had said to throw 100 puppies in a blender and bathe in the mash to absorb their essence.

Fat fuck always ate food any moment he felt slightly hungry.
>>
>>7357875
>The reduced metabolism makes it easier to gain weight once you start eating again
Of course! Obviously the body of an anorexic would want to put on weight
>>
>>7356861
Eat different fats.

You don't have to eat grains.

Most important:
(0.8g Protein / kg Bodyweight ) per day
~30% Fat of calorie intake.
Carbs to fill up the rest of your planned intake.
>>
>>7358648
I thought it was 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight?
>>
>>7358670
That's if you're lifting.
/ck/ doesn't do exercise.
>>
>>7356468
>>7358636
I'm 5'10" 135 lbs and I enter starvation mode because I simply forget to eat. I used to be overweight almost a year ago but I dieted it away and I never reworked my habits.

What usually happens when I enter starvation mode is that I lose all my energy and I get sick. Everytime, I get this strange cold that feels more like I'm allergic to life. I find myself tired unless I sleep for 12 hours a day. This usually happens after spending two weeks or so at 1500 calories a day.

However, I find getting out of it is really easy as well. All I do is spend two days eating about 3000 (good, balanced) calories and on the third day I'm no longer sick and I have my energy back. The only way to turn it off is to overeat.

I could imagine that starvation mode for fatties would be horrible because they would be afraid of overeating to turn it off, or that they would overdo their overeating and regain weight.
>>
File: butter churn.jpg (4KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
butter churn.jpg
4KB, 220x165px
>>7358707
Get on my level, pleb.
>>
>>7356468
I used to work as a cashier at Wal-Mart. I remember once, there was a very large woman being made fun of by teenagers, in my line. She turned to yell at them, saying that she had some health condition that caused her to gain weight and that it wasn't her fault. I looked up at her and smiled, about to saying something to the effect of "nice, don't take that crap from anybody!" But before I could get the words out, I saw that her cart was filled to the top with Twinkies and various other snack cakes.

Some people just can't accept that their weight is their own responsibility.

>>7356719
Agreed. Most people who have weight problems eat nothing but empty calories, and their bodies are constantly craving more food, trying to find those missing vitamins.

I'm constantly struggling to keep my weight up because I eat a well balanced diet and as a result, I don't get cravings. I have to set alarms for mealtimes because I'm never hungry. That's just what happens when you eat a lot of spinach and root veggies, your body wants for nothing.
>>
I used DNP to lose weight quickly.
>>
>>7356537
Uh, actually they did and many jews died from eating a normal to large amount of calories after leaving camps because their body couldn't process it due to how fucked their metabolism was
>>
>>7358125

Walking 2 km to work is not an active lifestyle. I do that plus two yogas and two circuit sessions a week and I feel like I could do more. You simply don't eat as much as you think.
>>
>>7357360
Why do you lie anon?
Kiwis arent in season all year.
>>
File: 1448467076953.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
1448467076953.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
Another thread where some people with common sense explain the basic principles calories in and out, while some fatties attempt to break the laws of conservation of energy.

If you're reaching for an excuse to stay overweight, just stop posting and ignore those who actually know, at least it'll put less strain on your heart as it tries to pump butter through your sad arteries.
>>
>>7358955
>people are having an actual discussion instead of a hugbox, this triggers me
>I need my safe space ;_;
>>
>>7358960
>I need a safe space for telling fat kids to stop coming up with excuses.

Sure, fatass.
>>
>>7357871
You could flavor the butter with artificial sweetener and get the same effect. the sugar is acting as a flavor enhancer.

Fat is far more appetizing to humans than sugar. It is obvious. We humans put cheese (fat) on everything. We eat food that has been bathed in hot oil (fried). We eat cocoa mixed with fat and sugar (chocolate). Animals in the wild always go for the fat first, bears will eat the skin of salmon and throw the rest away.

Any looking at fat people it is clear that the bodies capacity for fat storage is in the hundreds of pounds. The same cannot be said for sugar. The human body can only store 2000 calories worth of sugar at a time.
>>
A year ago I developed a lactose intolerance out of the blue.
all dairy products became diarrhea after consuming. changing my diet around this fact made me go from 270lbs to 230lbs within a year without exercise, with calorie counting though. i work IT so i barely move in my job.
changing minor things like going to wheat bread only from white bread helped and instead of meals like hamburger i would get grilled chicken. snacks also changed slightly instead of all chips being eaten i would substitute chips for a banana i still eat some chips but now i eat 2-3 servings in a sitting instead of half a bag, eating chips on a less than regular basis. salad without mayo based dressing has become a regular meal in my routine. eggs have become an important meal in my eating now. i make my own styled egg mcmuffins without cheese or meat on it.
I went from eating 2500-3000 calories of food every day to eating around 1000-1500. i will admit the first few months i felt like i was starving but after adding 2-4 slices of wheat a day, helped me curb the hunger pains.
>>
>>7359341
here is a list of food i eat in a day
>breakfast: 2 slices of wheat bread
>snack: nothing/oatmeal
>lunch: grilled chicken on wheat bread/grilled chicken salad with vinegar
>snack: banana/2 servings of chips
>dinner: 2 eggs cooked mcmuffin style
>snack: single serving almonds/ a small sugar cookie
if i drink a sugary drink that day like a gatorade or coke zero i skip the cookie.
>>
>>7359376
I eat about half a stick of butter every day. And as much sugar as I want; seriously, I don't even know how much it is. When I make dinner, my plate is filled to the point of overflowing. My only dietary restriction is no corn (maize) products, including corn-fed meats.

I weigh 160 lbs.
>>
18,5 BMI
>>
File: before and after GF.jpg (247KB, 1274x791px) Image search: [Google]
before and after GF.jpg
247KB, 1274x791px
Yes it exists but it refers to the difficulty of losing your last bits of fat, not being unable to lose fat despite being a fucking lardass.
>>
go to youtube and watch the 5 hour lecture series on obesity by dr jason fung if you want to learn the real deal about fasting, weight loss and insulin issues
>>
>>7356708
The variations are very minor actually.

Unless you are a diseased individual, your resting metabolism+differences in absorption account for maybe 200-400 calories (when compared to someone your gender and weight/age).

While that can certainly add up over time, as your weight increases your metabolism does linearly as well (again, unless you are diseased).

So. Yes, those small differences can make a difference over time if you aren't aware of them, but it plateaus within 10kg, damn near stops being a factor at 15-20kg difference.

You have to continue to overshoot by a lot to break that 20kg barrier.
>>
>>7356641
Wrong.
>>
>>7359217
you realize that glucose gets converted to fat through an insulin reaction right?
>>
>be very overweight
>starr tracking what I eat and STOP DRINKING SODA
>weight falls off like it's nothing

Maybe I am an exception, but honestly all it seemed to take was a few lifestyle changes and paying attention to what I ate. I've still got a ways to go but I feel and look better than I have in years.
>>
>>7356468
FUVK YOU GSYVJKLS GFUCK YOU it don't exist
>>
>>7359186
You do, otherwise you wouldn't be so triggered by people not agreeing with everything you say.
>>
>>7360662
glad to hear that. Don't fall for the exercising meme. I lost like 40lbs in a year from diet alone. No need to run 10 miles a day to lose weight
>>
>>7360674
>Don't fall for the exercising meme
Yeah fitness is a meme alright.
>>
>>7356468
Losing weight is just thermodynamics. If input>output, you gain weight. If input<output, you lose weight. You can lower your input (dieting), or increase your output (exercise/other activities that burn calories) to lose weight. Or do both, that'd do it faster.

Anyone who says they can't lose weight through diet or exercise is denying the laws of thermodynamics, or at least saying that those laws that govern the entire universe don't apply to them.
>>
>>7360834
It's almost impossible to lose weight if one maintains a high fat diet. Fat is calorie dense, and highly addictive.

When I eat fatty foods, I get deep hunger pangs and I never feel satisfied. But when I eat very low fat meals, mostly beans w/peas and bread, I don't get those hunger pangs or cravings, and I don't feel hungry between meals.
>>
>>7360853
wat

>>7360674
stay skinny fat
>>
>>7360849
CONSERVATION
OF
FUCKING
ENERGY
>"impossible to lose weight if one maintains a high fat diet"
1300kcal fat
400kcal carb
300kcal protein

2300kcal expended per day
Bam, you're losing weight. Are you going to be feeling well? Probably not. Your body needs all three of those macronutrients on a regular basis to be healthy. As for your own personal anecdotes, your own personal failings of will are on you. Also, protein has been shown to be extremely "filling" and provides a feeling of "fullness", so that'd explain the beans. But again, it's all about calories in and out, you have no excuse but to admit your own personal failure to adhere to a healthy lifestyle and get to a healthy weight.
>>
>>7356468
coming from experience, when you eat under 1k calories a day you hit a point where you dont wanna get out of bed or even operate. That's when your body is heavily eating away at your muscle tissue. Since we as people are generally fatter nowadays when a fat person goes into starvation mode they do lose a good amount of fat but eventually it hangs onto the stubborn bits in the undesirable areas and burns away the muscle instead.
>>
I started counting calories and have lost 16 pounds.

I eat vegetarian twice a day and 4 oz. meat for the remaining meal.

I'm lucky because I don't have a sweet tooth and have never really been a snacker. Cutting out alcohol and managing my portions has been all I've had to do.
>>
>>7356719
>I've found not getting enough proteins will trigger the most unbearable hunger cravings.
cravings apparently don't have much to do with nutritional deficiencies:

>The literature backs Ansel's assertion: research consistently finds that cravings are most often related to social rather than nutritional cues... Using functional magnetic resonance imaging, researchers have been able to determine that brain regions associated with memory, emotion and -- big surprise! -- stress light up when a person is having an intense food craving. And that brain response, in combination with a visual cue, another study found, increases the level of the "hunger hormone," leptin.

>In other words, stress (or sadness or boredom) and external influence conspire to make you feel hunger. And what you crave may be steeped in the culture -- such as old tropes, like women crave chocolate, or advertising visuals that command you to "crave" -- or it may be based in childhood. Very often, Ansel explains, people crave the things that soothed them growing up.

this sounds like a glaring bad habit that fatties need to find some way to overcome.

source:
https://archive.is/k8T6c
>>
I usually get by with a meal or two day and some beer/rum
Some days I eat less than others and I haven't gained any weight despite my drinking
>>
I just don't get it why people have this problem , really.
Just skip some meals, fall into some major depression, be a skinhead, quit your job by pretending you're a terrorist, you'll be skinny in a month by trying any of these.

Guaranteed, man.
>>
>>7356468
More like First World War problem.
>>
>>7356719
that picture is stupid, middle is where most of the fat is and right is supercarbs
>>
>>7360853
I found the opposite, high fat diet made me feel satiated and calmer and I lost 150 lb. Sugar's the one that's addictive.
>>
>>7362784
>Just skip some meals, fall into some major depression, be a skinhead, quit your job by pretending you're a terrorist, you'll be skinny in a month by trying any of these.
You forgot the best one:
>Become a junkie.
>>
>>7360853
lost over 200 pounds on a high fat low carb diet, fda please leave
>>
>>7360853
>what is keto
>>
>>7356468
A fucking plate of salad isn't enough to fill your stomach
>>
lost 46lbs when I was a fatty (199->153) from eating less and moving more

starvation mode is bullshit
>>
File: Dedication_iswalkingonlava.png (2MB, 1649x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Dedication_iswalkingonlava.png
2MB, 1649x1056px
Taking antibiotica would have 90% of the same effect.
Taking antibiotica and then eating a literal shit pill, eating yoghurt and fruits for the first 2-3 days, would have the best effect.

Its pretty entry level for dieting. Its just that its not well explored yet. We haven't even mapped out to what level gut bacteria to regulate metabolic rate properly yet either. Or absorption rate.

Its a good crutch if your diet means you have extremely high absorption rate, but its just whatever if you eat like a normal person.
>>
>>7358290
He didn't say it contributed nothing, but that the sum of moving around doesn't account for the majority of energy consumed, body heat does. About 80% actually.

Also what's up with this "calorie" bullshit. It's fucking kilojoules. You burgerlards and your fucking wizard measurements.
>>
>>7357360
Yep. I lost 35lbs the same way.

>cliff bar in the morning
>1500-2000 calorie meal
>cliff bar in the evening
>>
>>7358944
You can buy any fruit year round.
They dip the fruit in wax and stored in cold to keep it from going bad.
In fact, unless you're getting fruit from the farms, even in season fruit at the store is usually months, sometimes even a year old.
>>
>>7357871
Neither?
>>
>>7365713
>Wax storage
>On perishable fruit
>Years
it doesn't work like that. With a shelf life of max 2-3 months, and 1-2 for most fruits.
Waxing only adds another month of life, and is used for transport.

You don't get year old fruits when out of season, you get 1-4 week old fruits from somewhere the fruit IS in season, or from green houses.
>>
>>7364452
this. rats go to sugar more often than cocaine in studies. carbs are the enemy. eat fat to burn through your glycogen reserves (carb stored energy) then your body will burn fat fat fat. the whole "physics and thermodynamics" shit isn't wrong by any means but there is a little more to it. either way, carb free diets make you feel sluggish af. so I'd recommend pounding some cereal and spaghetti once a week then keto for the rest of it. only drink water. sugar alternatives in calorie free sodas and teas or whatever keep you addicted to sugar longer by satiating your sweet tooth. just go cold turkey and get some fucking will power.
>>
>>7366298
>rats go to sugar more often than cocaine in studies.
what a useless piece of information
>>
>>7366316

Scientists were paid from your taxes to discover this
>>
>>7366316
well I was replying to a poster that said sugar is the addictive stuff
>>
>>7366316

It's an incredibly useful piece of information in that it points out the hypocrisy in laws: Why is it that sugar is perfectly legal while, say, cocaine is not, despite the evidence that the legal one is actually the more harmful of the two. It's a strong piece of evidence indicating just how dangerous sugar is, despite the fact that it's so common.
>>
>>7366360
>cocaine should be legal because rats eat more sugar than cocaine
you don't need cocaine but you do need carbs and calories. sugar only seems harmful because of how abundant it is, and most people don't even understand how much they're consuming.

the root of the problem is lack of education, not that sugar is worse than cocaine.
>>
>>7366381
>the root of the problem is lack of education,

Agreed. And that's what studies are all about: educating people about the facts.
>>
>>7366382
>And that's what studies are all about: educating people about the facts.
do you actually believe this? plenty of studies are done with a clear agenda to support a business or something similar.
>>
If it were true then we'd generate infinite free energy by giving fatties complementary liposuction and burning the ranch dressing that gets sucked out.
>>
>>7366401
>plenty of studies are done with a clear agenda to support a business or something similar.

And that becomes evident when you read the study and can therefore be taken into account as part of the educational process.

A lot of what one can learn from studies is not just the facts they report, but who funded them, why a particular methodology was chosen, etc.
>>
>>7364452
>high fat diet made me feel satiated and calmer and I lost 150 lb

You're clearly lying. The body loves fat and will make you eat as much fat as you can before you stop yourself. Everyone knows the feeling, and has been in this situation - When a fatty meal is in front of them, they stuff themselves, and before they know it, they've consumed 4000 calories.
>>
>>7366422
>When a fatty meal is in front of them, they stuff themselves

Not everyone lacks that much self-control, anon.
>>
>>7366422
Not really? It's called macros dog. Same amount of calories, just more of them from fat.

I stuff myself with a fatty meal, maybe 1800 calories, then I'm stuffed for the literal rest of the day. I'm only hungry once a day. Under 10% bf and not dyel
>>
5'6
Starting weight: 197
Current weight: 165
Goal weight: 140

I've been at my current weight for like 5 months now. I exercise, I eat below my caloric requirement and the scale moved down to 160 before going back to 165 again. Yes I make sure I eat the right amount of calories, I cook everything and measure on a food scale so I know near precise numbers. Yes I adjust the calories needed as I drop weight. I tried intermittent fasting, keto, haven't gone the eating only rabbit food route yet but that might be what's going to happen next.

Calories in/out is true until you fucking plateau... I'm sure if I started drinking only juices and then go on a water fast or something I would drop the weight but once I start eating again it's all going to come back. I'd rather eat enough to not feel too weak to exercise instead of doing some bullshit 5 calories per day diet.
>>
>>7366360
Rats and mice are not even that close to us evolutionary. To are the cheapest mass breeding animal with short lifespawns.
Monkeys live too long, but there is a bunch of ferrets and other species thats closer.

That rats go for sugar isn't even meaningful information.
It might even mean that Rats lack the digestive systems or receptors to get a good high of cocaine.
>>
>>7366459
what kind of exercise are you doing? if you aren't lifting, then lift. if you are lifting then change your isolation exercises, and do supersets
>>
>>7366462
how can you say all that having not read the paper?
>>
>>7366474
I've been riding a stationary bike for 60 min 5 days a week. I guess I should start lifting, I've been doing dumbbell exercises but I only have 20lbs ones. Because I live in bumfuck no where it's kinda inconvenient to make it to a gym, will have to either find alternatives of some kind or figure something else out.
>>
>>7366586
yeah you definitely have to lift. lift slow and lift heavy. you can keep doing your other shit too. but lifting will change your life. muscle burns calories. so building more of it not only takes calories to make through exercise, but the more muscle you get the more calories you burn in rest.
>>
>>7366479
We share a lot of traits with mammals. But then you look at the basic shit: Dogs barely can see colors. Cats become blind if they don't get to eat taurin, while humans only need it as a rare substitutable chemical.
Dogs literally get poisoned by Xylitol.
Most animals are poisoned by garlic.

That some animal picks sugar over cocaine just means:
1. It lacks the recepters to get high off it
2. It has recepters that allows it to get high of sugar
3. The animals body weight means 1 cube of sugar is equal to 20-30kg for a human.
>>
>>7366605
again, how can you say all that having not read the paper?

i can appreciate that you're educated but you are connecting dots you haven't even seen yet.
>>
>>7366612
>Its in the paper!
>I won't link it!
>I will keep on spouting bullshit and not linking it
>>
>>7366605
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VLlIdEWco4M

you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>7366623
you can shitpost but you can't take 5 seconds to google something? I've read the paper. why can't you? the only person spouting bullshit here is you. you can't just make bold claims like you do as if they are facts. any search will show you that rats are effected by cocaine (as well as other drugs). stop trying to be smart. finish your intro to biology course before first.
>>
>>7366604
>lifting will change your life
lol

bodyweight exercises 4 life
>>
>>7366951
That's still lifting you fag
>>
>>7367340
>>7366951
So you're saying you don't have to go to the gym to get ripped?
>>
>>7356468

Fat people lie.
>>
>>7367389
ripped and big are two different things. so technically no. but just remember that getting ripped requires very controlled dieting. you might want to get off /ck/ a while if you do
>>
>>7367513
Explain
>>
>>7367693
well what we define as ripped from what I gathered is when you have muscle definition come through. you need muscle sure but you don't need a lot of muscle mass to be ripped. just some with low body fat. and getting low body fat levels to be really ripped is done through exercise AND dieting. or the old adage "abs are made in the kitchen." everyone is different though and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm a retard who doesn't know what ripped is or something.
>>
>>7356829
>5'7"
grill?
>>
>>7366630
That is pretty irrelevant.
That isn't even research that shows what effect the drug have, only that it affects the rats internal timer.
Beyond that, its just 1 series of rats. Error margin alone is higher than the time difference of 4 seconds by effect.
>>
>>7366630
How much fucking coke have they given this poor ratty? He's fucking freaking out, he looks like Nicolas Sarkozy.
And what do they mean, "marijuana"? It doesn't grow liquid. Did they extract THC?

So much pop science.
>>
>>7356494
i dont see whats so hard to buy about it not being true, we all fucking see it with the people who can eat fucking everything and they really dont excercize that much. not to say theyre not gonna feel it eventually, but still, it doesn't violate any cosmic law to postulate that the efficiency of which you can extract sustenance from food is going to vary from person to person.
>>
>>7358955
see >>7368653
you fucking retard.
>>
>>7356468
Starve mode is BS. OTOH, yoyo effect isn't.

Year of diet, dropping from 130kg to 90. Cool, can end the diet. Three months, bam! Back to 130.
>>
>>7356484
>>7356494
>calories are the only thing that counts
lol
>>
>>7368664
>end the diet
>implying it isn't the "normal" diet that made you fat in the first place
A diet isn't something you end, it's something you have and live with.
>>
was made to deter possible future anorexics
>>
>>7369667
This.
>>
>>7356641
>dietary fat triggers gorge impulse
>[citation needed]

>brain made of fat, hormones made of fat
>fat is the worst thing ever

S'cuse me while I finish the 15th oz of cheese I've had this week
>>
File: baby echidna 7.jpg (33KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
baby echidna 7.jpg
33KB, 1024x683px
>>7356860
>Normal

feels good m8s
>>
File: juuwatm8.jpg (12KB, 217x399px) Image search: [Google]
juuwatm8.jpg
12KB, 217x399px
>>7370000
quads annotated
>>
>>7356872
You put on 15 pounds in a week and a half? See a doctor. That can't all be water weight dude. Maybe like 5 pounds is reasonable. 15 is MASSIVE.
>>
>>7365451
>lost 35 lbs eating 2800cal a day
DAMN NIGGA HOW BIG R U?
>>
>>7358872
I first heard about this on /ck/ and then I went to /fit/ to look at the thread on it and then I found the guide and holy fucking shit. I was traumatized by the knowledge of the use of this chemical. I was in a perpetual state of "wtf people really do this to themselves?!" for a week.

Its one of those internet rabbit holes I'm sorry I went down. Like that one time I was determined to find the scariest trip report on erowid (I did find it. 2 of them actually)
>>
>>7366645
Link it then bitch
>>
>>7357399
thats complete bs, why would you think they would do that instead of displaying what they jsut read?
>>
>>7357350
that because your pants don't weigh 5 lbs, even with a huge ass wallet and a chain
>>
>>7357607

This dude's got it.

What starvation mode refers to is the fact that, when your body starts catabolizing muscle and organ tissue, your BMR will begin to drastically decrease. Muscle uses more energy than fat to maintain itself - the more muscle you lose, the less energy you need. At the same time, your BMR will slightly decrease as you lose bodyfat.

The majority of this starvation mode myth comes from the fact that someone one a strict 300 calorie deficit will eventually be eating at maintainence. They'll stop losing weight and blame it on 'the body trying to preserve itself' without bother to recalculate their BMR.

I've been on a protein sparring modified fast for 34 days now. The protocol is simple, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. I've dropped 45 pounds so far, with no real signs of slow-down.

Exercise is key though, lifting 4-6 days a week not only increases the rate you burn energy but also preserves your muscle mass through the anabolic response - increase in test/hgh production.
>>
File: 1411975701823.jpg (2MB, 2481x6600px) Image search: [Google]
1411975701823.jpg
2MB, 2481x6600px
>>7366586
>>7366459

Here's my advice. Next week, for 2 weeks eat strictly at maintenance. This small break from a caloric deficit will assure your body that food is not scarce and that you will not be at a lack of energy forever. It will reset your leptin and insulin levels and their interplay. You will gain some weight but it should be almost entirely water.

You said you've been riding a stationary bike for 60 minutes 5 days a week for five months? Unless you've been increasing the intensity your body has nearly completely adapted to your exercise routine. Basically, your leg muscles can now store enough glycogen that they just use their own stores for energy.

You need to mix it up. Adding a lifting routine like SS would do wonders if your protein intake is high enough. If not, something like startbodyweight can help. Good luck, brah. We're all gonna make it!
>>
i was stuck up in the mountains(had shelter, a house) for a month with nothing but like 10 ramens to eat, starvation makes you seriously lose weight but not in a good way, it probably hurts you more in the end.

I went from 160 to 120 in a month, I already have fast motabolism but yeah, works but not healthy.
>>
>>7370654
Can you go into more detail on your fast?
>>
Literally lmaoing at all the misinfo in this thread. I imagine everyone is a fatty mcfatfat ITT.
>>
>>7359794
What's your point.
>>
>>7370670
You're right. My thighs used to be just fat and flab but now I have pretty defined thigh muscles and they're quite big now. I've been riding the bike for longer than 6 months, 2 years now actually. Guess my body is just used to an hour a day. Might have to go for longer or just highly increase intensity :/
>>
>>7358092

>implying a pound a week is a lot when it's normal
>implying that's healthy

I eat three small meals a day around 300-500 cals each, and snack on fruit, and don't drink calories. I do always crave pastries, but I refuse to buy them so can't eat what doesn't exist. I lost 10 lbs like this, which isn't a lot but I didn't need to lose much.

>start cut
>set to 1200
>3 months of that
>became goal weight
>set calories to slightly under maintenance, so I can have a cheat now and then (not every week and not egregiously)

Solved!
>>
>>7370690

Story? You couldn't hunt or anything?
>>
File: 1455249588753.jpg (56KB, 564x706px) Image search: [Google]
1455249588753.jpg
56KB, 564x706px
GOD TIER DIET TIPS:
>30 grams of fresh, local, OR organic and mindfully harvested bee pollen daily.
>2 liters of fluoride free water, avoid salt at any cost.
>2000 calories worth of organic, fresh if possible, plant based foods every day.
I haven't seen this movie but I know quite a bit from mt own research. With that said I will likely watch the movie.

>also go for a walk, swim, jog, even practice some yoga, and stretch.

>30 mins of direct(shirt off) sunshine daily.

Follow these tips and from what I can assume 90% of your lives will improve vastly.

Also avoid shampoos, deodorants, lip gloss, toothpaste, or any other food/body/consumable products that are not organic(chemical free).

Seriously consider where you're getting what you buy. You vote with your money and praise.
>>
>>7356886
>Who hold up a honey bun and goes "WOW, 450 calories? That's a bacon cheeseburger and a couple of fries!"
I do this
>>
>>7356494
You can't really break the laws of physics but biology is some really complicated shit, so it may seem like you do.

But yeah it's ultimately correct.
>>
>>7373231
>Bee pollen
>Floride-free

this is the most tinfoil and placebo shit I've seen all day
>>
File: 1455234362513.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1455234362513.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Starvation mode is made up by jealous moralfags who don't want people starving themselves to lose weight faster than people who don't starve themselves.
>>
>>7373231
this will make you feel better because you probably weren't eating enough vegetables before
cut the other shit and its decent advice
>>
>>7373231
>2000 calories worth of organic, fresh if possible, plant based foods every day.

I will balloon if I eat that much every day, even with exercise.
>>
>>7370670
As someone who does exercise from time to time I thank you for this.
>>
>>7357416
steve?
>>
>>7356468
it's called caloric restriction and it extends life, but everything you are reading about diet is wrong. If you want to know about "starvation mode", look up CR.
>>
>>7356484
>Yes, it's bullshit that I truly believe the diet industry made to make dieting feel harder. And yes the Diet Industry is largely designed to have people fail constantly, if we all just lost weight there wouldn't be anyone falling for these new diets.
>implying you wouldn't have a monopoly and have all the market shares if your snake oil did what you said it did
Diet solutions aren't designed to fail, they just don't work and people are stupid.

>Calories In, Calories Out.
/thread

>>7356468
>is it just something fat fat fatties made up to explain why they "just can't" lose weight by dieting?
Yes. Three meals a day is a meme spawned by an agricultural society. Most people barely 'need' to eat one and a half times a day.
>>
>>7373231
What do you think about chemtrails, the moon landings, and the assassination of JFK?
>>
>>7365972
point is you're more likely to be able to finish the butter creamed with sugar than straight butter as excess sugar triggers an appetite response in most people
>>
>>7356468
Starvation mode is real indeed, your body will consume less if it detects a large deficit on calories for a long time. However the effect is almost insignificant
>>
>>7373231
>avoid salt
I want the FDA and ACA to leave, salt and fat are not bad at all, the former just drink more water and the latter has no direct correlation with cholesterol or bodyfat outside of input/output
>>
>>7356829
3 months? Bullshit
>>
>>7356829
>LBM is 48%
that is not good at all
>>
>>7356468
Strictly speaking, calories in calories out.

However, a calorie isn't just a calorie. The body is way more complex than simple addition and subtraction and the way your body processes different foods can be radically different. Hormones in your body can and will shift your body's bias towards burning or conserving, and certain food additives exacerbate the problem of attempting to lose weight.
>>
>>7358096
your body, healthy or not, digests sucrose and fructose differently. 100 calories of cane sugar is not the same as 100 calories of high fructose corn syrup, and no amount of edgy implications will change that.

You can cut back your food consumption to a set level and go hurr durr calories in calories out, but you will still continue to gain weight if those calories are not introduced to your body correctly.

A 350 lard ass eatting 5k a day isn't going to lose weight if they drop back to 4k a day. Instead, they might just maintain their current weight even though LOL LESS CALORIES WHY IS NOT LOSS WEIGHT GUYS XD
>>
>>7370693
Not him, but I assume he's doing a PSMF, which is basically lean meat and green veggies and nothing else. Basically a crash diet for turbofats, though it can kill you if you don't get enough potassium.

Look it up on /fit/'s archive for more info.
>>
>>7376916
Is it better than keto for losing fat without losing muscle mass?
>>
>>7356484

calories in calories out is "generally true" in a "general" sense... but it is only strictly true for a FIRE.
>>
>>7376920
PSMF is just a very precise variation of keto.

>better
The verdict isn't in yet, but PSMF is sometimes worth a shot for super fatties who don't care about losing too much muscle mass since it's a very heavy deficit of around 1500-2000 calories a day. It's definitely faster assuming you follow the guidelines to the letter, but it's also easier to fuck up and requires you to take ephedrine and caffeine and supplement all the electrolytes you'll be missing out on, so you don't drop dead while you're walking your dog.

If you're truly a beginner, the best thing you can do is learn to count your calories and eat at a deficit. If you're a supermegafatbastard, keto is good, but you should also learn to count calories instead of shoveling bacon rations into your gob (which can be tempting with reduced sugar ketchup). The PSMF is for when you've learned some shit.

Regardless of what "trick" you use to lose fat, you're still counting calories at the end of the day.
>>
>>7356872
yeah i can go up 10 lbs in a day in im hungry af, dont sweat it. Just weigh urself once a week or not at all.
>>
>>7376944
I'm trying to lose some last remnants of belly fat. Probably 20 pounds worth. Looking at new ideas as what I'm currently doing is not fully working.
>>
there a lot of views/opinion here but all I know is that studies support that when you are calorie deficient your metabolism slows. I also heard the best way to not have your metabolism slow is to eat 6 small meals a day. just throwing this in there cause fuck it
>>
>>7356494
>my dad keeps telling me this
>"come on son, it's basic engineering"
>don't know why he described it like that, but okay
>literally start eating less
>how come you don't eat breakfast? That's unhealthy for you!
>you should eat lunch when you're at work!
OH GEE DAD, I DUNNO, MAYBE I'LL BE ABLE TO BURN THE CALORIES I ALREADY HAVE IF I STOP FUCKING HAVING CALORIES
Thread posts: 258
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.