[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cutting Board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

my cutting board finally split in half and i want to get a new one

also open to repairing this one if anyone has any suggestions

what cutting boards do you guys like?
i remember seeing a thread quite a while ago and there was one brand that a bunch of people seemed to like and it was also dishwasher safe.. ??

the one i had been using since around 2000 looks like pic related ... i got it from a kitchen supply store and i think it was around $75 at the time
>>
What are you doing to a cutting board to make it split in half? Sounds like you need an anvil homie
>>
>>7314525
it's made of pieces of wood glued together
it began separating a few years ago and it finally came apart
>>
>>7314543
Could probably fix with wood glue and a clamp then
>>
File: sylvanian.jpg (672KB, 1920x1153px) Image search: [Google]
sylvanian.jpg
672KB, 1920x1153px
>>7314461
>spending $75 on a plank of wood
This is why the terrorists hate us.
>>
>>7314557
Seriously.
I paid like $20 for my wood cutting board and it's a single piece of solid wood (maybe bamboo). OP is fucking dumb af t.b.h pham s.m.h.
>>
>>7314461
if it's really like the pic then you could fix it no problem with some wood glue and clamps

glue that shit
clamp it tight till glue dries
sand smooth
oil it with food safe oil

it probably split cause it got too dry
>>
>>7314648
i may/may not try to fix it.. it's also stained on one side from mold

and, i would like to buy a new one, so i'm still looking for recommendations
>>
>>7314663
the stains/mold will go away with sanding, but yeah it can be a bitch to sand it smooth and put a new finish on it
>>
>>7314669
doesn't sound that bad honestly..
i might use a sanding disc on my drill

i'm going to look for some clamps at home depot when i go to lunch
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>7314461
Boos block makes nice wooden boards, but they're a little pricey. I've had a Michigan Maple end grain block I got off amazon for about a year, but I really only use it for hors d'oeuvres and charcuterie when entertaining. I use a large white poly board I got from Sams for $15 for everyday use.
>>
>>7314767
yea, those are nice.
>>
>>7314722
or if you want, you could make your own from scratch. cutting/bread/chease boards are one of the most basic things, and if you ever had a shop class in hs then you've probably made one. hardes part really is the selection of materials
>>
>>7314787
i like this idea, but i don't really have the tools or space.
i've got a cordless drill and that's about it
i can deal with buying some glue and a few clamps though
>>
>>7314799
you could hit up ace/lowes/home depot and explain what you're wanting to do and get them to pre cut stuff for you, and probably even round the ends so all you'd have to do is glue and clamp
>>
>>7314787
Unless he already has a table saw, planer, joiner, and clamps there is no way he could make one for under less than he could buy one. Unless he has woodworking skills it will look like shit.
>>
>>7314619
There's no way it's a bamboo and a single piece.
>>
>>7314806
yea.. see >>7314799
>>
>>7314619
>bamboo
>wood
pick one
>>
I need a new cutting board too guys.
Is there anything that's /ck/ approved?
>>
>>7315223
just go to a restaurant supply store and pick up a generic plastic board
>>
I tend to like a decently thick board (heavier so stays put/doesn't bounce/etc), and I avoid ones that have that trough cut around the edges and especially ones with little silicone feet on the corners.

I probably spent around what you did on mine, but I've had it for quite awhile. No idea why yours split (dried out maybe?) but mine is barely even marked up despite years of reasonable use.

>>7315228
Hard on knives/less hygienic/etc..
>>
>>7315228
This basically. I have a standard issue polymer board and a wooden one. The wooden one I might be dumping at Goodwill soon. Other than the consumer plastic boards are shit, and wood ones look flashy, I don't get it...
>>
>>7315264
I was always told that plastic boards dull knives quicker, but that may be some old wives tale.

Either way, a wooden board is nice.. plastic boards look shitty and chopping on them feels shitty. Unless you're really hard up on cash why not indulge.
>>
>>7315272
Chopping root veg dulls knives. Chopping anything acidic dulls knives. Everything dulls them almost to the point where unless you're chopping on top of a sheet of glass the surface is moot.

I'll be the first to admit that a polymer cutting board looks out of place at a fancy dinner party, doesn't make it inferior to wood though. If it's good enough for the professional industry daily use, it's good enough for home use.
>>
>>7314461

Don't run it through the dishwasher, moron. Buy some Gorilla Glue and some clamps, glue it back together and SIN NO MORE. Wood boards look great. Plastic boards are more practical. AND you can run them through the dishwasher.
>>
>>7315340
Maybe it's technique, I'm not a pro and plenty of pros use plastic boards.. but I find plastic boards tend to bounce/move around when I'm cutting anything quickly. I like my heavy wooden board because it tends to stay put.
>>
>>7315426
just put a damp rag under your board and it won't slide around
>>
>>7314461
imo its depends on what knives you use, if you have really good knives get a nice wooden one if not just go generic plastic
>>
>>7314461
>>7315228
>>7315259
>>7315264
>>7316954
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

This UC Davis Study of Wooden Versus Plastic Cutting Boards discovered that Wooden Cutting Boards are more Hygienic than Plastic Cutting Boards
>>
>>7315426
You shouldn't give a shit about pros but protecting your stomach from Salmonella instead.

Continue using your wooden board.

See >>7316961
>>
>go to home depot
>buy some hard wood
>cut it in the size you need
>???
>profit
>>
>>7316961
Holy shit, I go here AND I use a wooden cutting board.

Whadda plate of shrimp
>>
>>7317126
not sure that they sell untreated wood at HD
can anybody comment on this?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.