[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lumpy Tatoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Mashed Potatoes.jpg (175KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
Mashed Potatoes.jpg
175KB, 580x326px
Can I get some advice on making mashed potatoes not lumpy?
>>
>>7312361
Potato ricer.

Or just mash them more thoroughly, but slowly (so you don't get sticky potatoes.)
>>
elbow grease
>>
>>7312371
I googled "Potato Ricer" and what I saw was amazing, I've seen those before but never knew
>>
>>7312361
>>7312371
Why.

If you already have a potato masher all you need to do is boil the potatoes really soft to make sure you don't have lumps when you mash them - and then mash them well. I just made and ate mashed potatoes too - I also did this because the last time I made mashed potatoes I didn't boil them enough and when I mashed them it still came with lumps.
>>
If you don't want lumpy potatoes buy the fucking box crap ya baby
>>
Alton Brown has a video on how to best cut potatoes for boiling, check that out.
>>
Why don't you cook them longer?

I boil my potatoes whole for about an hour or until you test them with the paring knife trick, then just mash them up.

No lumps and full of delicious skins.
>>
Learn to like lumpy potatoes, they're better anyway ya girl.
>>
>>7312495
>skins on anything but red potatoes

fucking casuals
>>
>>7312361
use a plastic spatula once youre done ricing. Work and fold and repeat.
>>7312521
nerd
>>
Just cut them into ~two-inch cubes and simmer (don't boil) until the fork test passes. Give it a half mash with your dry ingredients before wet, and it's fucking foolproof.

>>7312521
Fuck. You.
>>
>>7312521
>using anything other than reds for mashed potatoes

No anon, you are the casuals.
>>
>>7312361
Potato Ricer or a hand mixer
>>
>>7312521
>not enjoying a baked potato with crunchy skin

it's good though
>>
>>7312361
Food processor

>wa la
>>
>>7312361

After I boil my potatoes
Mash them with butter
Then I add milk or cream to get rid of lumps
Alittle at a time, dont want soup lol
>>
>>7312564
>use a plastic spatula once youre done ricing. Work and fold and repeat
this lad gets it
>>
Add some milk when youre mashing and they get really fluffy and nice
>>
>>7312596

Spotted the pleb.

Red potatoes are low starch, so they don't absorb the cream/butter as well when making mashed.

A 50/50 mix of yukon gold and russet is the best you giant faggot
>>
I made homemade mashed potatoes for the first only just recently.

Are there any good spices/seasonings to make them with, or is it standard to just stick to salt & pepper?
>>
>>7312361
potato ricer
>>
>>7315815
I throw a bulb of garlic + olive oil + salt wrapped in tin foil into the oven to roast while I'm prepping the potatoes don't use the whole bulb for 1-2 potatoes though!
>>
Whenever I'm going to make mashed potatoes I realize I might as well just eat the boiled potatoes instead so I do that.
>>
cheesypotatoes.webm
>>
>>7312453
This.

Jesus OP it's easy to figure out if you just use your noggin.
>>
use a wire whip and you will never have lumps, only creamy smooth goodness.
i would never use a regular masher
>>
food mill
>>
Hola, can actually comment here. perfect mash everytime.

you need an extra fine metal sive, and a dough cutter (like playdough, or bread dough, dependant on age/experience/resources)

boil your taters tits till they get a nice fluffy coating when you drain them. make sure dem cooked.

using the doughcutter, pile in small amounts at a time, hot, and use the sive as a miniscule grater. finish with butter, cream, salt and pepper , whisk lightly till like whipped cream

sauce: make fucking tons of the stuff erryday at restruant. rosette standards
>>
>>7312361
also, maris pipers make the best mash on budget.
Jersey royals make mindblowingly delish but expensive mash.
Accords make half decent chips, but eh. pipers for me.
Red rooster taters also, good for mash, good for chips.
>>
File: mash.jpg (34KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
mash.jpg
34KB, 500x332px
>Using a ricer
Don't do that. Use a masher, boil them longer, employ a whisker.
Everyone in this thread is right except for the folks telling you to use a ricer. They want you to have tv dinner potatoes, don't listen to them.
>>
Add ricotta.

When I was searching for a method to make my potatoes not lumpy I used a variety of things such as a ton of butter, milk, heavy cream and even chicken stock. They helped, but didn't completely solve the problem. I made progress when I used sour cream in my potatoes. I'm guessing the thickness of the sour cream helped bind to the potatoes and instead of making them lumpy or soggy it actually made them creamy. Only problem was the overpowering taste of sour cream now. So I looked for an alternative and finally discovered ricotta worked perfectly. Ricotta in general has such a mellow taste that unless you have an extremely sensitive palate, and when added to hot potatoes takes on the consistency of sour cream. It will make your potatoes creamy as hell and won't add or subtract from the flavor you were originally attempting to reach.

Try it, you will not regret it, I promise you.
>>
>>7312361
Ricers can make godly mashed potatoes but it's really easy to make perfectly good smooth creamy mash with just a masher. Just peel your potatoes, dice, boil, and drain. Then RETURN YOUR POTATOES TO THE PAN and set it on a very low heat (or on the recently turned off burner if your stove is electric) to dry them thoroughly- you don't want to brown them at all or anything, just get rid of any water remaining. Meanwhile, melt together butter and milk, and add gradually to your potatoes while you mash. Then just season and enjoy.

Pick your potatoes well too. Yellow-fleshed potatoes like Yukon Golds are what I usually go for at home. Really low-starch potatoes like (most) red potatoes won't absorb the butter and cream well, and really high starch potatoes like Russets won't give you the right creamy texture.
>>
The smaller the potato is cut, the more overall surface area there is. The more surface area you have, the potato will be more mushy when you want to mash it (because smaller and cooks more thoroughly).

Use whatever you want to make them, when you have it all added though, get out a whisk then whisk the fuck out of it and keep going till your arms are beyond sore. You gotta work to mash dem tatoes.
>>
mash them
bake them beforehand (twice baked mashed potatoes???)
add butter/milk after mashing, then mash more
>>
Go to IKEA OP
>>
File: Smash Robots.gif (1MB, 280x230px) Image search: [Google]
Smash Robots.gif
1MB, 280x230px
>>7312461
This
>mfw humans still use real potatoes to make mash!
>>
>>7312480
let me guess convoluted and pointless instructtions
>>
>>7312361
Trick is to boil the potatoes to the consistency where you can easily crush or mash it with a fork or spoon. I don't know what type of masher your using but it just takes a little time and being thorough. I make a perfect mash now but it took some trial and error to get it there.
>>
>cut small
>put in hot water
>simmer for ~30 minutes
>add chopped up garlic halfway through
>drain but save a spoonful of the water
>add it back to the potatoes together with some butter and a tiny bit of milk
>mash, add salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
>>
>>7312361
>not wanting your mashed potatoes lumpy
Are you a baby?
>>
>>7317297
>but it took some trial and error to get it there.
yep, it's just like giving a blowjob
>>
i put a couple table spoons of butter and hit them with the electric mixer
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.