[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trouble with potatoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: what.jpg (2MB, 4163x2358px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
2MB, 4163x2358px
Why are breakfast potatoes so hard to cook, /ck/? I've tried making hashbrowns, homefries, skillets, the lot and I always end up with under-cooked potatoes. Today I tried mashed latkes and when I tried to flip it fell apart. I'm still an amateur, obviously, but with breakfast being my favorite meals I'm quickly losing hope that I'll be able to cook my perfect breakfast. What recipes or methods do you use for the most important meal of the day?
>>
>>7290048
the potatoes only keep their cohesion when exposed to loud sounds, that's why irish have so many goddamn kids
>>
boil them first

i told my bf this for the last 5 years and he finally started doing it

guess who can make breakfast taters now?
>>
>>7290048
I fry them to brown them, then I add a little water and put the lid on to steam them for a bit,then cook off the last of the water

then I add cheese

I end up with a fried/mashed potato hybrid that I find really satisfying
>>
>hashbrowns
get as much water out of them as possible so that they fry up crisp. i grate my potatoes over a few paper towels and then squeeze them over the sink. i also toss in some dehydrated onion to soak up water but you might not want that it you dislike onion. make sure you have plenty of hot oil in the pan. if you're having trouble flipping, you might want to cut it up into small squares with a spatula and flip them individually.
>>
>>7290058
>>7290067
Butter or oil? and you use a pan/skillet correct?I have a griddle in my house but I only use it for certain things like pancakes, rice, or grilled cheese.
>>
>>7290073
I had a bunch of dried up potato packets...kinda like astronaut food and i would re-hydrate them and then toss them on the grill. I will try fresh potatoes, i used to use fresh onion but that burned too quick.
>>
>>7290058
>boil them first
Holy shit, people don't know this? Like motherfucker just skinned and cut some potatoes and put them in a pan?
>>
It sounds like you aren't cooking anything long enough. Potatoes won't dry out really, they'll get crispy and then burn. Treat latkes like pancakes. What til the brownness starts creeping up the sides and don't flip them before, no matter how tempting. I use corn starch as a binder not just flour
>>
>>7290124
dumb question, my friend suggested the latkes and said i should use egg, so far it has not been working but should i use flour and egg? or just one?
>>
>>7290150
Lol! Well maybe that's your problem! Unless you're trying to make healthy latkes with few ingredients, eggs onions floor and some starch (potato or corn) will all bind the potatoes. If you use grated potatoes you use more eggs if you used potato puree you use more flour. But definitely both. Think of the eggs as the glue but the flour as the sealant

And if you like latkes you should try kugel. It's like latke cake lol
>>
>>7290083
Butter
>>
>>7290083
butter always
>>
>>7290209
LOL
O
L

YOU ARE A FUNNY GUY ANON
>>
Oh boy a potato thread, I have a question about potatoes:

For some reason our potatoes start growing sprouts in a day or two even though we put the bag in a pretty dry place (where we keep our cereal). Is there something we're missing? This is really odd. Should we be keeping them in an airtight bag? We just keep it in the holey bag you buy them in.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.