[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sambal Oelek

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

I just bought 136 ounces of the best hot sauce/condiment known to man. What can I make with it besides just putting it on top of things?

Pic related
>>
Mix it with mayo and then put that on top of things, also put it in soups and stews.
>>
>best condiment ever
>just bought a giant container
>hey guise, what do i do with this industrial vat of hotsauce that's now taking up a full corner of my kitchen?
>>
>>7241021
>known to man
I wonder who that one man is.
>>
>>7241021
You use it sparingly, so nothing you really want as a main ingredient.

You could make a mean batch of bachelor chow tho
>>
>>7241044
I bought the vat because when I use it as a condiment, I run out of the next smallest size in a week. I'm going to consume the stuff regardless, I just thought it might be good to cook with as well.
>>
>>7241021
Marinate a big cut of meat in it, then sear on each side, then braise. Then (of course) serve over rice with choi and other shit.
>>
>>7241071

You can just coat your chicken or whatever other boring protein in it (let it marinate if you think ahead) and bake it as is.

Most people will be surprised how good something so basic can turn out.
>>
>>7241021
It says it's fresh so that means it'll go mouldy within the week.
>>
>>7241021
Just eat it with nasi lemak bitch, what else do you need to do once sambal is in your life?
>>
>>7241021
>>7241560
Samefaggin here, but seriously, you could sustain the whole population of Southeast Asia on sambal and nasi lemak. I'm not even kidding.
>>
>>7241083
honestly if it's spicy enough anything will taste better
>>
use it as a dip for grilled or roasted meat
>>
>>7241021
Do you like tofu?
Here's what I do with that sambal oelek:
- Get tofu. I go with firm.
- Drain the water from the tofu. What I do is wrap it in paper towels and set it under heavy plates for several minutes. Google the procedure.
- Cut into 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch thick strips
- Mix sambal oelek, soy sauce, grated ginger, grated garlic, chopped chives, sesame oil, and a bit of sugar and rice or white vinegar
- Marinade the tofu in the mixture. The longer it takes, the darker and stronger tasting the tofu gets.
- Fry. It'll never get crispy as fuck because of all that liquid in it, but because of the soy sauce and sugar, frying browns the surface even further and gives it a caramelized flavor.

Personally though, I eat it raw mixed with cold soba or white rice. It's also pretty great in stir fries.
>>
>>7241557
kid how old are you?
>>
A few spoonfuls fried off starts any stir fry, or add coconut milk to make a sauce for prawns. Spread it on fish for grilling too.
>>
>>7241645
When I bought a small jar of sambal oelek it grew mould after a week.
>>
>getting Sambal Oelek from an american company ran by chinese
Shameful
>>
File: 1449882660598.gif (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449882660598.gif
68KB, 500x500px
>>7241940
OP here. If you have a small jar longer than three days, you're not eating it fast enough.

When I bought my first tiny little jar, I thought it would last. I was young and naive then. It lasted me literally less than a day. I then started buying the next size up. That would last me a couple days, sometimes a week if I stretched it.

Now I'm literally buying gallons of it. How long do you think it will last me? It's not going to have the chance to get mold.

Also, what the fuck. It's got enough vinegar in it to pickle a stone. What did you do, stick a mushroom in it?
>>
>>7242121
You see, that guy is lying. For one, it's hard it get that brand outside of Burgerland and two, like you said, that shit has vinegar and preservatives.
>>
Make some satesauce.

Get yourself some peanut butter, add soy sauce, sambal, lemon juice and diced onion to it and heat it up in a saucepan. For amounts, make it about equal parts soy sauce and sambal (or more sambal if you want it more spicy), about 80% of the mixture should be peanut butter add onion/sugar/lemon juice to taste. Then fry up some chicken and smother it in this.This goes great with rice.
>>
>>7241598
This. Adding hotness can make a whole lot of mediocre dishes palatable.
>>
File: k_400x400.png (274KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
k_400x400.png
274KB, 400x400px
Mix it with soy sauce, oyster and fish sauce with a pinch of brown sugar in a small bowl, then dump it onto whatever you are stir frying about 3 minutes before it is actually done.

You're welcome
>>
>>7242245
make sure to use chunky PB and dont forget the diced shallots and green chilis/jalapenos in sweet soy sauce for non beef sate
>>
>>7241940
did you stick it in a fridge?

because you can make the same thing fresh, with less vinegar and no preservatives and it still wouldnt grow mold if you put it in the fridge

you probably done goofed and cross contaminated it with your dirty spoon or something
>>
>>7242020
>chinese
>>
>>7241940
>grew mould after a week.
Did you leave the jar open? Did you use dirty spoons?

I accidentally bought it and I had it for months in the fridge before I figured out what to do with it. And it was still okay then.
>>
Authentic sambal oelek is just crushed chili peppers with a little lime juice and salt to taste. It's the base of all other sambals. That shitty condiment OP bought is just another inferior chinese inspired interpretation that has little to do with the original
>>
>>7245394
So like Thai pizza?
>>
>>7245394
Doesn't change the fact that it's delicious, fag
>>
Add it to fried rice.
>>
SO is not a sauce, it's an ingredient. I like to put it in spaghetti sauce and chili.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.