[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Butter vs Margarine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13

File: butter_v_margarine.png (51KB, 342x169px) Image search: [Google]
butter_v_margarine.png
51KB, 342x169px
What do you use?

What SHOULD you use?
>>
>>7235209
Prefer butter, obviously, but margarine is OK
>>
butter tastes much better

not sure about whatever health benefits
>>
It doesn't matter in the long run. They are both exactly the same.
>>
Parkaaaaaaaaaaay
>>
>>7235218
You're why some people make fun of this board.
>>
I think margarine tastes better, but I don't use it.

My household uses Promise for toast and cooking, and butter for baking.
>>
File: McWhopper.jpg (51KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
McWhopper.jpg
51KB, 800x400px
>>7235224

You as well, being so easily baited into nonsense.
>>
butter tastes better and won't give you cancer
>>
>>7235266
no1 answer so far. just imagine slowly cooking red onions, sage and salt for an hour in margarine.
>>
>>7235209
Butter.

Butter.
>>
>>7235209
Butter as an ingredient. Margarine or shortening to grease pans for baking.
>>
>>7235209
I use butter for cooking, I use some sort of olive oil spread for making sammies
>>
main thing is you do not use margarine with any strange type if statins or shit like that in kt unless your doc says so.
>>
>>7235209
Margarine always. Butter tastes like shit.
>>
>>7235209

i prefer 'ter

you should use 'ter as well
>>
>>7235377
Dont use " 'ter "
>>
>>7235384
>Ter it up, little darlin

But seriously, fuck margarine and that I cant believe its not butter crap and just buy and use butter.
Brown it and use sage or basil or any sort of herb you want. The end product of browning margarine is much shittier.
>>
Usually in baking I use margarine, cause I'm kinda broke, but I prefer butter pretty much always. Margarine smells bad.
>>
>>7235263

>McWhopper

.....wut
>>
>>7235263

What's that thing in the middle? A bun?
>>
File: 0006820070104_00-650x0.jpg (104KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
0006820070104_00-650x0.jpg
104KB, 650x650px
>>7235209
Olivina margarine. Non-hydrogenated margarine is fine, but don't eat the other crap, it'll kill you.
>>
>>7235209
Butter
>>
I've been tempted to buy a box of those pats of butter so that I can take butter with me when eating at restaurants. It would be difficult to keep it from melting, though.

As it is, I do carry my preferred hot sauce with me into restaurants. Not one has ever complained about it.
>>
>>7235209
Butter
>>
>>7235212
I think they're roughly the same.
>>
I only like pure butter on my english muffins. Margarine makes them taste like shit and it's not even close. Although I have used country crock on plain ramen noodles before and it is better than butter. But for raisin bread, bagels, english muffins, toast, crumpets, pancakes, and whatever else, I prefer real butter.
>>
File: packed.jpg (148KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
packed.jpg
148KB, 760x572px
The trick is to sneakily hide your butter under a layer of margarine in your butter bell, so your vegan gf won't find out.
>>
>>7235645
what a perfect microcosm of masculinity in 2016
>>
>>7235209
Butter. Margarine is used to fatten up turkeys.
>>
>>7235209

Margarine is shit and you should never use it, for anything. Butter is a god send however since I moved to America I realized that your butter is really weird and watery, it's miles worse than the stuff they had in Europe.
>>
>>7235645
>vegans
>eating butter or margarine
what?
>>
>>7235654
maybe for you, cupcake
>>
butter, butter
>>
>>7235727

Margraine is artificially flavored oil. It's non-dairy....
>>
>>7235727
No butter, but non-dairy margarine is acceptable for vegans since it contains no animal products.
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (30KB, 400x331px) Image search: [Google]
interdasting.jpg
30KB, 400x331px
>>7235471
>Non-hydrogenated margarine
>>
>>7235645
i prefer quinky sauce

i wish my son felt the same way
>>
i usually buy unsalted butter because i bake a lot

i get it in stick form, not the tubs

does anyone have any recipes to make a butter spread for my toast in the morning?
>>
>2016
>not buying High Octane Grass Fed Tactical Bulletproofâ„¢ Butter
it's like you're BEGGING for non-optimal life performance
>>
>>7235224
Who makes fun of this board?
>>
YOU CANT SPREAD BUTTER ON COLD BREAD

RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
For flavor and health reasons I use butter. Sure, Margerine is significantly lower in fats. However, they are replaced by hydrogenated oil (a trans fat) that allow it to stay set at room temp. I also find it sketchy this isn't reflected in the Nutrition Facts, but it is in the ingredients. I'm not a health nut; simply what brought me to switch back.
>>
>margarine: $0.75
>butter: $6.00

MARGARINE IT IS
>>
>>7235209
>What do you use?
Margarine for cooking, butter (unsalted) for baking

>What SHOULD you use?
A matter of debate.
>>
>margarine: artificial bullshit
>butter: natural dairy product

I'll have muh butter then, tyvm.
>>
File: fridge.jpg (33KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
fridge.jpg
33KB, 449x600px
>>7235209

Butter = Brown Butter

I love using real high quailty diary butter for
Cannabutter
>>
>>7235209

Margarine is def for poor people but it tastes pretty good spread on a nice whole wheat bread.
>>
>>7235209
Butter is superior to margarine because butter is saturated fat and margarine is the toxic PUFA.
>>
>>7237085
sounds like you live in an area where the food rationing during ww2 has not been ceased.
>>
>>7236095
Cool you have a son, that means you could be a man or a woman.
>>
Margarine for grilled cheese. butter for everything else.
>>
>>7235471
>Non-hydrogenated margarine is fine,

its not "fine", its unknown. they have constructed a fat particle that does not exist in quantity in nature, invited the general public to test its long term side effects and will publish the results in 30 years. Same thing they did with hydrogenation. Enjoy being a guinea pig for CSPI. I'll stick with butter, at least the effects of that are understood. ill throw in a pretty reasonable explanation to help you get started

Interesterified fats are not trans fats. However, they were developed to take the place of trans-fats in commercially produced baked goods and snack foods. Interesterified fats have been chemically or enzymatically altered to improve their texture or nutritional profile. They're produced by combining stearic acid, found in chocolate and considered a relatively safe saturated fat, with vegetable oils containing unsaturated fat.

We really don't know much about these new fats yet, and their short and long term consequence on health have not been well researched. However, a study published in the January 15, 2007, issue of Nutrition Metabolism found that interesterified fats and trans fats had similar, negative effects. Both increased total cholesterol, raised "bad" LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol and lowered "good" HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. Another negative: the interesterified fat also raised fasting blood glucose by almost 20 percent. Because the study was small - only 30 individuals participated - the American Heart Association took the position that the "safety profile of interesterified oils and shortenings isn't as well understood as that of natural fats and oils" and that more research is needed. Since this is an unsettled issue and because there's some reason to believe that these fats may have negative health effects, I would recommend staying away from products containing interesterified fats until we know more.
>>
>>7235209
>Use butter or a substitute for butter

Gee, I don't fucking know.
>>
>>7235209
Butter, and margarine if there's no butter.

The only time you absolutely should use butter is in baking.
>>
>>7235535
that's because they silently cringe at you
>>
File: herewegoagain.jpg (121KB, 709x700px) Image search: [Google]
herewegoagain.jpg
121KB, 709x700px
>>7235209
>See this kind of thread on /ck/.
>>
>>7235209

butter

butter
>>
File: Homeless_Guy.png (159KB, 511x496px) Image search: [Google]
Homeless_Guy.png
159KB, 511x496px
>>7235535
>Carries pats of butter and a bottle of hot sauce with him every where like he's afraid he's going to get poisoned
>Wonders why they don't complain.
>>
>>7235535
Now I'm just wondering what kind of long, creepy coat you wear into those restaurants.
Obviously something with a lot of pockets on the inside.
>>
butter
>>
File: salted-iso.jpg (38KB, 448x429px) Image search: [Google]
salted-iso.jpg
38KB, 448x429px
>>7235674
this stuff is pretty good for american butter (sold in stores in America I mean, because this one is made in Ireland) and there is another one also that most stores sell that is better than regular store brand or land-o-lakes. I forget the name of it though. But I've seen them both at every grocery store just about
>>
>>7236181
Cinnamon sugar, cocoa, apple butter.. or you can make a savory one like vegemite with beef bouillon kinda stuff.

But toast is best simple desu
>>
>>7236710
>he doesnt leave his butter room temp

Laughing.png
>>
Neither. Both are terribly unhealthy.
>>
>>7238466
>>7236710
>Can't spread butter on cold bread
Why would you even want to do this?
>>
>>7235209
>butter was created for the explicit purpose of being identical to butter, but easier to spread

It literally does not matter.
I cannot tell the difference between them.
Margarine is easier to spread without softening, but butter comes in these nice measured out blocks that have a nice aesthetic to them.

Choose whichever fucking one you want.
Anyone who says butter is superior to margarine or vice versa doesn't know shit.
Especially if they say butter cuz half the time its because they assume its some how more "real" than butter, like that means shit.
Margarine is not a diet replacement for butter, nor is it a cheap imitation of butter.
It's another form of what basically amounts to the same fucking shit.
>>
>>7238493

Congratulations, you're the most retarded cunt in this thread.
>>
>>7238493
plz be a troll
>>
The only question is salted butter or half-salted butter.
>>
File: michel-et-augustin.jpg (53KB, 1033x415px) Image search: [Google]
michel-et-augustin.jpg
53KB, 1033x415px
Fair warning for you burgers. If you ever happens to go to a Starbuck (I don't know why but who knows ?) be advised they are now selling the "famous" french cookies "Michel et Augustin". This is a scam. They are ridiculously expensive, even in France so I can't imagine how much they'll cost in a US Starbucks, and they don't taste any better.

Don't buy that crap.
>>
If the recipe says butter then butter it is.
>>
>>7235224
>You're why some people make fun of this board.

This board is complete and utter shit. When i first came here (to 4chan) and saw it had a cooking board, I was excited because I thought it'd be full of people who actually fuckign cook and try out new recipes.....instead it's a bunch of autist who go to meme restaursants, buy premade meme food or occasionally cook something with bacon in it.....fuck this useless shithole
>>
>>7235263
>>7235459
Looks like a slice of grapefruit to me, baka. Maybe it is one of those plastic amercan cheeses, though, I don´t know
>>
>>7238500
To be fair, frogs love that shit. They're okay, I guess.

Source: I'm French.
>>
>>7238512
They are expensive and no better than regular cookies. And I am french too.
>>
>>7235283
>sage and salt for an hour
I know what sage does but what does salt do? Do I have to put it in all fields?
Testing.
>>
>>7238519
Nothing happened.
>>
>>7238519
>>7238523
I'm trying to win the 'most retarded cunt in the thread' award but this guy is a hard act to follow: >>7238493

He wins.
>>
>>7238482
I think butter on untoasted white bread is preddy gud, my mom grew up in poverty so she'd serve us it with spaghetti. It's soft and kinda delicate and sweet (unsalted) compared to toast i guess
>>
>>7238515
True, but goddamn do they sell.
>>
>>7235209
Margarine should be dyed bright pink like in the past, it's like butter but shittier and worse for you.
>>
>>7235459
>>7238511
Maybe you fucking martians who've never eaten at McDonalds in your life should enrich yourself and eat a fucking big mac once in your life. It's a fucking second bun
>>
Butter makes me feel full. And, I dunno. I just trust butter. I can make my own butter from scratch. I have no idea how to make margarine.
>>
I always use butter

>solidified plant fats
no
>>
>>7235209
It really depends on what I'm using it for. If I'm baking, butter all day. If it's food where you can TASTE it, butter. On shit like Kraft Dinner Margarine. Depression tier shit gets depression tier shit.
>>
>>7235374
objectively wrong opinion.
>>
>>7237102
there is no debate. Butter is superior in every way, and I don't care how hard times get with money. If the choice is margarine or nothing, I'd rather have nothing.
>>
>>7238508
My brother! I check this board once a month, hoping for something actually cooking related, and am occasionally rewarded. I really love it when they get going about GMO and organic shit, with everyone claiming to be a scientist/PhD, and not one of them knows shit from apple butter about any of it! It is entertaining though.
>>
>>7235209
I use lard.

You should also use lard.
>>
Margarine is processed factory thrash

Butter is natural but full of fatty shit, but body likes natural fatty shit so it's fine
>>
>>7235209
I use margarine because I don't like the taste of butter.

For cooking/baking you use butter.
For flavor, toast, etc you use whatever you want.
>>
>>7241574
Except not. Butter actually doesn't taste good, and it over powers every dish it's in. You probably haven't tried any proper margarine.
>>
>>7242604
lol, no.
>>
File: 4567.png (377KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
4567.png
377KB, 576x432px
>>7242604
>Butter actually doesn't taste good
>it over powers every dish it's in
>proper margarine
oh wow
>>
>>7235209
Margarine:
>lower class
>non-culinary persons
>generally poor and dumb

butter: (unsalted)
>can afford to splurge on a basic requirement of any cooking
>intelligent and aware of health risks associated with shit like margarine
>patrician tier
>>
>>7242661
>>7242641
Wow, excellent points.
>>
File: 5592.jpg (8KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
5592.jpg
8KB, 214x236px
>>7242597
>he doesn't like the taste of butter
>>
>>7242604
you're a fucking belter m8
>>
>>7242694
not sure what that is but no im not just because the taste of butter is sickening, It's also less healthy than margarine alternatives.
If you make toast with butter and jam literally the only thing you taste is the butter. Rancid.
>>
Natural fat is always the best.
>>
>>7242708
>It's also less healthy than margarine alternatives.
>it's 1970
>>
Can someone rec some good american butter brands?
also, cheese please
>>
>>7242764
I would suggest switching to margarine in which case Becel can't be beat.
>>
>>7238508
It wasn't always like this. Actual cooking and OC used to be heavily encouraged. The board has definitely gone to shit over the years. I still sort of blame it on moot for giving it attention and making all the /b/ and /v/ kiddies come here.
>>
>>7238508
>meme food
You're what's wrong with this board.
>>
>>7242764
Land of Lakes unsalted. It comes in wax paper and is real butter
>>
>>7242764
land o lakes nigga
>>
>>7235727
Do you...not know what margarine is?
>>
>>7242809
You would be surprised how often margarine does contain dairy products (e.g. milk powder).
>>
>>7242799
>>7242800
that indian butter tastes strange, not buttery at all
>>
>>7242764

My local grocery store carries two brands of butter -- Land O Lakes and the store brand. Land O lakes costs nearly twice the store brand and I can't tell much difference between the two.
>>
>>7243264
Pretty much the same for me. I usually just buy the store brand as well.

Every so often if I'm feeling fancy and want to make something that really focuses on the flavor of the butter I'll buy some Kerrygold but for general purpose cooking I just go with plain old store brand unsalted sticks.
>>
>>7238531
Mental retardation can be hard to keep up with...
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
>>7240228
>>
>>7243271

I've heard that some of the European butters actually do have a more enhanced flavor. Some of my neighbors milk their own cows and churn butter the old fashioned way. There is a very noticeable difference between their butter and the store-bought butter.
>>
coconut oil, organic and unrefinedd. dem MCT. dat lack of casein.
>>
I use butter for cooking and margarine on toast.
>>
Is margarine really that bad for you?
>>
>>7244990
do they culture their butter?
>>
>>7245129
Yes.
>>
coconut oil
>>
Butter is healthier and tastier and more versatile in cooking.

You can buy pure 100% spreadable butter too. Sure, its more expensive than margarine, but how much fucking butter do you put on toast? You can also buy butter spread that's cut with a little bit of olive or canola if you're a cheapfag.
>>
>>7245129
No it is just propaganda stirred up by the diary lobbyists.
>>
>>7235209
Butter. Always butter. Unless you're doing lard. If you're using margarine, might as well be using Crisco.
>>
>>7245443
Enjoy your hydrogenated fats/oils, trans fats, petroleum derived yellow #6.

I'll take my not so healthy either saturated fat and god tier flavor.
>>
>>7235209
Margarine if you're cooking for someone you don't like.
Butter if you're cooking for someone you like.
>>
Margarine is never okay.
Use oil or butter not oil that is pretending to be butter.

N E V E R
U S E
M A R G A R I N E
>>
>>7235209
Margarine is pretty radical desu
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.