[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Steak Cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: steak.jpg (128KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
steak.jpg
128KB, 400x300px
Is there any Japanese senpai here? I have a question.

On an article on Serious Eats, I found the following comment:
"'Evenly cooked steaks'

"Is this an American thing? I've never heard of this being the goal of steak cooking. Do they taste good that way? In Japan we go out of our way to unevenly cook the meat."

Can anyone explain this to me? I'm very confused. Why would you intentionally cook the steak unevenly?
>>
Senpai cook here.

Get the best strip steak u can or filet mignon
Thaw in cold water
Use a cast iron pan, use high heat
Salt and pepper both sides of steak
Throw steak on top of 1/8 stick of butter
Occasionally tilt pan to sear 1/2 of the steak
Do this for 6 minutes
Scoop steak from pan
Let steak rest 10 minutes
Eat steak
>>
>>7225914
Evenly cooked just means that the entire steak is at the desired temp.

One end isnt well done , while the middle is medium and one end is raw ( extreme example)
>>
It's just some retard trying to be cute and sarcastic.
>>
>>7226737
>Get the best strip steak u can or filet mignon
>Thaw in cold water

you ever hear about these things called "butchers"
>>
sous vide?
>>
>>7226737

>best steak
>thaw

ur cuntwipe
>>
>>7225914
ive noticed that unity or "wholeness" is a common theme in japanese culture.

it shows up in their work, their cooking, everything.
>>
>>7227351
Then why would they do their steaks unevenly?

>>7225914
To me it seems like they want variety. They want a bit of the steak that's medium, a bit that's rare, so they can enjoy both degrees of doneness without having to have more than one steak.
>>
>>7227355
maybe it's some wabisabi thing.

Also nice quintdubs.
>>
>>7225914
Serious eats had some circlejerk article about "How to cook the perfect steak" which involved first dry-aging a hunk of meat, then cutting it in exactly 4cm steaks, placing it in the sous vide at exactly 80 degrees, then reverse searing it.

They had lots of emphasis on the importance of the sous vide for the _even cooking_. The guy did a bunch of tests which basically showed how sous vide makes the entire steak pink from sear to centre, rather than a simple fry in the pan, and how an evenly cooked steak will make you blow your nuts off or something.

Personally I prefer a texture shift across the steak but according to Serious Eats, if it's not evenly cooked it's not good.
>>
>>7225914
maybe the person making the comment didn't read the article completely and got confused by what they meant by even cooking?

When you cook steak you want the interior to be the doneness you want and the outside to be seared correctly, which is technically a difference. What can happen is that between there is an overcooked band between the cooked interior and the seared exterior. See pic related for an example
>>
>>7226851
They're a thing liberal elitists have in their crime-infested urban hellholes

Here in the safe suburbs of flyover land, we shop at walmart and we LIKE it, you commie
>>
>>7227512
Do grocery stores sell frozen beef? I live in a tiny rural town and even my local grocery store butchers it's own meat.
>>
>>7227595
My store has fresh and frozen everything. Is it really that shocking to a flyover like you?
>>
>>7226737
>thaw in cold water
Why is it frozen?!

Also, you only half answered my question. Why aren't you cooking it evenly?
>>
>>7226793
Yes, I'm aware of what evenly cooked means. I'm asking why you would intentionally cook it unevenly.

>>7227351
And how is cooking a steak unevenly an expression of unity?
>>
>>7227395
So what did the commenter mean by uneven cooking, then?
>>
>>7227632
I grew up four hours outside of a town of 700 people, in one of the most rural states in the union.

We did not have frozen steak.
>>
Americans like their steak evenly cooked throughout nice and well done no pink
>>
>>7228035
He probably meant that the inside was one temperature (medium/rare/etc) and the ouside was another (seared).
>>
>>7228047
Yes, obviously. I'm asking why the Japanese don't.

I feel like I'm being trolled.
>>
>>7228256
That's actually a pretty believable answer. I'd still like someone from Japan to actually confirm.
>>
>>7225914
the evenly cooked part refers to the done-ness of the steak, but with some cooking methods the meat aside from the sear isn't for example medium rare throughout, and is more or less rare in some parts. that is why some cooking techniques also try to take into consideration how well done the entire meat is, aside from the pan-sear
>>
>>7227393

I've had sous vide steak cooked prepared by a world class chef at a culinary event once. The flavor was good and it was tender but the texture was like a McRib sandwich. Evenness makes it seem like formed meat. Part of the problem was since we had to do 400 plates in 4 minutes he chose to sear it before the sous vide.
>>
>>7229617
>sear before sous vide
>texture was strange

hmm I wonder why
>>
>>7229617
>sear it before the sous vide.
bullshit
>>
>>7225914

it's becuase seriouseats is not, it's a food blog for self important fedora J Kenji Alt-cuck to sperg on abut how his personal tastes are the superior everything to everything.

Murkins cook they're steak unevenly and like it that way and are just like the japanese. the two cultures are amazingly similar if you think about it.
>>
>>7229879
I love it how 4chan hates one of the best food writers on the internet because he has a "cuck" (i.e. race mixing) name.

Stay classy, stormfags.
>>
>>7229914
don't conflate the rest of /ck/ with the /pol/fucks that have decided to shit up the rest of 4chan. I can't wait until AIs are smart enough to figure out which posts are written by Trump supporters and filters them automatically
>>
>>7228047
I don't see why you would want your meat undercooked.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.