[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>trying to cook beans and meat >spend 45 minutes just trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1310102105013.png (19KB, 780x483px) Image search: [Google]
1310102105013.png
19KB, 780x483px
>trying to cook beans and meat
>spend 45 minutes just trying to defrost ground beef
>put half a pound into the skillet
>half of it ends up burnt, half uncooked because I didn't defrost properly.
>rush it and drop in two cans of ranch beans anyway
>meat still not cooked, beans now drying out despite constantly adding water
>don't know when I should give up.

it's just... beans and meat how do I fuck up this bad
>>
>>7224627
Let meat defrost at room temperature and if adding canned beans, add them in the very end because they're already cooked.
>>
>>7224634
Please tell me is there any way to save this? I just want the meat cooked but right now I've got a slurry of water, bean juice, and beans mixed in and the meat will just not brown.
>>
>>7224634
>Let meat defrost at room temperature

OP do not listen to this Chipotle employee; that is how you get diseases. You defrost meat in the fridge, or in cold water which you change out every once in a while.

Also, do not ever use canned beans. Cook them yourself you lazy sack of shit.
>>
>>7224662
I'm trying to just make dinner man, not be a patrician.
>>
Stop fishing for sympathy and choke down the fruits of your shame you fat bitch. Let it be a hard reminder to defrost your food the night before.
>>
>>7224681
It shouldn't take a whole night to defrost a pound of ground beef.
>>
>>7224634
Is this like the cell phone in the microwave fake advice or have you really never heard of food-borne illnesses?
>>
File: IMG_1680.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1680.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
fuck it I'll just take this L.

Hope I don't regret life
>>
>>7224627
>beans and meat

Why are you combining them unless you're making stew? If you have canned beans just cook your meat however you want and eat the beans on the side.

Cold water defrost is probably the fastest but since you probably don't cook often I wouldn't freeze your meat. Only buy meat when you know you're cooking that day and you won't have to worry about defrosting.
>>
>>7224696
Looks okay. Just let it simmer over the stove if you want a drier dish.
>>
You moron! You want to cook the meat first with a bit of fat to release the moisture. After that take out the excess fat and add the canned beans.
>>
>>7224701
Some people buy meat in stock when it's on sale.
>>
>>7224701
Isn't it supposed to be hot water defrost?
>>
>>7224696
It doesn't look bad desu. Just cook it for a bit, the excess water will cook away.
>I'd make some rice with that.
>>
File: IMG_1682.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1682.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7224722
It actually dries out incredibly fast so you don't need to cook to make it drier.
>>
File: IMG_1681.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1681.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7224734
Also this is my left over meat. This is still good, right?
>>
>>7224689
Yes it does. The temp of your fridge keeps the meat in a safe zone where it won't breed any nasty pathogens or rot but since the temp is so low (~40f) it takes time. Also since ground beef is usually in a dense block, it will take even longer. I can get away with putting something in the fridge from the freezer before I leave for work and have it ready by the night but I usually do it the day before so nothing is still icy.

>>7224708
Good point, I hadn't thought about that. I don't like freezing ground beef because its harder to defrost. Chops, thin steaks or chicken breast is great in the freezer.

>>7224712
You don't want to cook it before you actually cook it, if you use hot water the outside will start to cook while the inside is solid ice. Fill your sink 1/2 way with cold water and have a small amount of cold water running through it, drain every so often. This will defrost relatively quickly and the running water will keep the water circulating which helps even more.
>>
>>7224734
well, it didn't end up as bad as you thought

my opinion:

next time cook the meat by itself and just warm the beans in a small sauce pan, then combine them after you drain the fat from the meat.

you'll lose a little flavor but it will make the whole thing so much simpler
>>
>>7224742
Ah, then that's definitely what I did wrong since I used hot water. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7224739
Did you seriously dump all the meat into a hot pan just to lift it out again?
>>
Defrost in the microwave if you're too much of a goon to not plan ahead by removing the meat from the freezer the day before
>>
>>7224765
No, I ran it through hot water.

>>7224768
I would actually prefer that if I knew how. I don't expect you to tell me how though, you all sound pretty angry.
>>
>>7224750
No problem, since I assume
>>7224739
is you, I would take the remaining meat and roll them into meatballs or something. The texture will be a little off but meatballs are great for beginner cooks because they are nearly impossible to screw up. Try stuff out, experiment with herbs/spices, roll them into balls and freeze them. Defrost and mix with pasta, toss in a bit of oil/salt/parmesean and wa la, dinner is done.

I wouldn't try refreezing or refrigerating the leftovers, might as well use them. Burger patties are good too.
>>
File: 1292032862032.png (12KB, 477x379px) Image search: [Google]
1292032862032.png
12KB, 477x379px
>>7224783
I guess I can make spaghetti tonight. How bad can it go?
>>
>>7224790
Do it.
>sounds tasty
>>
>>7224627
from now on anon, put your frozen meat in a ziploc bag and place it in a bowl of cold water, or just put it in your sink under cold water. One hour is usually long enough
>>
>>7224790
spaghetti keeps well but if you don't want it tonight just freeze the meatballs and boil pasta when you're ready.

>>7224772
>I would actually prefer that if I knew how. I don't expect you to tell me how though, you all sound pretty angry.

He might be angry because its usually a setting on the microwave, mine has a defrost button. I prefer not to use a microwave though.
>>
File: flachgelegt.jpg (375KB, 1451x1089px) Image search: [Google]
flachgelegt.jpg
375KB, 1451x1089px
Protip: freeze your ground meat in thin sheets. No need to defrost at all.
>>
>>7224627
At caesar dressing, it'll be edible
>>
>>7224772
>No, I ran it through hot water.
now why would you do that? throw it out or cook it immediately. It's pretty much ruined.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.