[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christmas Dinner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

Made this monster for Christmas dinner. Beef shank slowly braised in beef stock, one bottle or red wine, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme, and enough water to cover. 7 hours at 325 F. served with blender gravy and green beans, the family never had anything like it, and loved every bite of beef.
>>
the shanks out of the pan
>>
well done!
>>
It looks like those people who die in a bathtub and get discovered 6 months later
>>
>>7221745
Kek....but it does look pretty good desu
>>
File: Q5y7E.gif (148KB, 486x280px)
Q5y7E.gif
148KB, 486x280px
>>7221673

looks good

bet it made a nice greasy shit the following day
>>
OP, that looks amazing.

Does your butcher always have these, or did you have to ask for them ahead of time?
>>
>>7221804
No he always has a few in the bin
>>
>>7221830
Where are you from? Any America cooks know if this is normal where you are from?
>>
>>7221858
California here: If the local big name grocery store doesn't have them, try local mom-pop Mexican grocery. They have a lot of old-fashioned (for U.S.) cuts. I made Christmas pozole with pork shanks. Tastey.
>>
>>7221858
Normal at any actual butcher's shop. You wont find it in Walmart.
>>
>>7221858
It depends on which America you live in

Many people live in gastronomically blighted hellholes where "normal food" means chicken breast, beef tenderloin, 80/20 sirloin, and bacon, no exceptions. These are known as food deserts, and people living in them are hostile and suspicious of nice things.

If you don't live in a place where eating a variety of high quality food is "pretentious", then you shouldn't have any trouble finding shank.
>>
OP here: went to a mom and pop mexican grocery store. any place that has shanks already sliced means they have them whole in the back and untrimmed. it was actually cheaper to get them whole and untrimmed like 2 dollars a pound less, so the meat itself was only 50 USD for two, rather than butcher shops which sell for 40 USD each.
>>
>>7221673
They were just being polite, that wasn't braised because 375 is too high for braising, and gravy on top of beef means either your beef is dry or you're a fatass

Try to have it going for 10 hours at 225~250F next time, ditch the rosemary and thyme, cut down on the alcohol (or marinade your beef with about one teaspoon's worth each), and have some sort of non-fatty (I really dont know what sauces people use for their meat since I never find the need for it) sauce and au jus instead of gravy.
>>
>>7221912
Yup. The Mexican grocers in my area sell meat much cheaper than the Big Names stores. The other day I bought 5 lbs of chicken quarters for .69 cents/lb. Once they get to know you, you can get fun stuff like suckling pigs, goat . . . .
>>
>>7221953
OP here: braised at 325 sir. And thank you for your suggestions, but I like my method just fine. If you make one with your method, please post pics so we can see. BTW, blender gravy is kitchen slang for strain the veg from the liquid, blend all cooked veg with de fatted liquid, and stain to remove any other solids. Whats left is a thick gravy thats got lot of flavor and very little fat.
>>
>>7221912
>$50
>He could've gotten 5 steaks instead of cheaper cut meat
oh boy...
>>
>>7221953
Does your beef or your pretension give you more satisfaction? I really want to know
>>
>>7221858
>>7221879
>>7221880
>>7221887
I'm in Vermont, and grew up near Boston, and I feel like it's a cut we pretentious East Coasters don;t normally have. I raise beef and get my shanks cross cut, but was debating doing some of them as 'shin meat" (boneless, like Asian markets have) for next year. I might have to do one steer like OP's cut. Looks like a fun cut for a big dinner.

Shin meat is my FAVE cut in the winter.

Why did anons start picking on OP, btw? I haven't seen a single piece of douchery from him.
>>
>>7222106
Jealousy is my guess, not to mention the trolls that filtered in last year.
Well done OP :)
>>
>>7222106
They're jealous cause op has a family who loves him and enjoyed his food
>>
Op here: Thank you to you all who complimented on my work. As for the trolls, no reason to rip on you. I enjoyed a good meal, and you didn't :)
>>
>>7222283
If you just wanted to hear "you did great" go on reddit or something
Hell, print out a bunch of "you did great" posters, I'm sure it'll make you feel better.
In fact start a blog, then start viciously removing all the "troll" comments that for some reason suggest slow-cooking meat at low temperatures.
Then you can get enough confidence to start a youtube channel. You can be the overcooked complement to our king ja/ck/. Then you'll really feel great with all the money you make from your shitty gravy that you make from the fucking grease that you squeeze out of all your meat.
I bet you're fucking swedish too. Bootlicker.
>>
>>7222305
Why so mad, friend :)
>>
>>7222305
What a gay rant.
Asl?
>>
>>7222305
>Try to have it going for 10 hours at 225~250F next time, ditch the rosemary and thyme, cut down on the alcohol (or marinade your beef with about one teaspoon's worth each), and have some sort of non-fatty (I really dont know what sauces people use for their meat since I never find the need for it) sauce and au jus instead of gravy.

Holy shit. So, are you the guy who wanted longer cooking time at 225? and a teaspoon of wine? And no herbs?

Telly ou what. I'm interested. Post your recipe for these giant beef shanks. I'm interested.
>>
>>7222305
OP here: *passes you some braised beef shank and toast* no need to be mad bro.
>>
File: 1425786995074.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1425786995074.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>7222540
>>
>>7222423
Sure
Since OP thought he was braising I'll post a braise recipe
De-bone the shanks, then chunk them. "marinate" in about a teaspoon of soy (I say "marinade" because lets be honest if you're actually marinating with soy sauce then it comes out salty as shit, just leave them in the fridge for like 5 or 10 minutes). Chunk some pumpkins and eggplants (about one part onions to two parts pumpkins and three parts eggplants), and start frying the eggplants and onions in a shitload of oil.
After the eggplants suck up all the oil, put some water in there for your braising liquid - add spices, specifically star anise (one wheel is usually enough), ginger, pepper and salt. At this point, there's a bunch of optional ingredients - chunked tomatoes/tomato paste, whole dried chili peppers (to taste), green beans and other non-leafy vegetables are all good (just don't drop potatoes in there in the beginning since this is gonna sit on the stove for a long time)
Now you can start braising the thing. Bring the liquid to a simmer, add your shank chunks, close the lid and wait. Stir every hour or so, until the meat is braised (usually 3~4 hours just because it's shanks, it really might depend on the kind of shanks you can find in the store since some of them might as well as be jerky). If you want to add potatoes, add them about an hour or two from the end.

Two things you'll notice about the recipe itself-
1: the braising liquid can be thickened using tomato paste/tomatoes
2: Because shanks aren't exactly butterballs, you want try to and add some fat content on top without being a hambeast. Eggplants are the vegetable of choice for this, and eggplants without ginger just isn't the same.

The last thing to note is that this recipe works with a lot of meats and is in no way specific to shanks - butts, ribs, bellies, shanks, blades, briskets, etc etc. As long as it's a tough meat that requires a long time to break down, you can probably throw it in there.

No lamb or goat though.
>>
>>7222579
I guess I should've mentioned that bellies aren't so much tough as much as they need time for all the fat get into the broth.
>>
>>7222579
Now I know you;re trolling.

Ya got me, dickfer.
>>
If I were to walk up to the counter at my local Kroger and ask for an entire beef shank would they have one back there somewhere?
>>
>>7222805
OP here: if they have them in the meat case, they have them whole in the back
>>
File: delicious.jpg (5KB, 271x186px)
delicious.jpg
5KB, 271x186px
>>7222817
Thanks dude. I'm going hunting with my uncle and my dad soon. Before we get a deer we'll need something to tide us over. A good braised beef dish will be great now that the winter weather finally got here.
>>
>>7222805
Not 100% of the time, but they can likely order it to pick up at a later date
>>
>>7222836
>uncle and dad

Don't you mean your mom's husband and his brother?
>>
>>7222687
yea all these internet trolls :----------------DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.