[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a big pot of red beans and rice tonight for new years,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Shortcut Red Beans and Rice 02.jpg (197KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Shortcut Red Beans and Rice 02.jpg
197KB, 1600x1066px
Making a big pot of red beans and rice tonight for new years, but I don't think its going to be enough.

What are some side dishes that go good with red beans and rice?
>>
>>7218542

Rice goes well with red beans.
>>
>>7218542
I've never seen red beans and rice on its own as the main course. At least, not without something more substantial added to it - sausage, shrimp, chicken, ham, etc. You could always go for some grilled veggies with creole seasoning, greens, or fried/roasted okra.
>>
Red beans and rice shouldn't be the main course, it's a side dish. If you need more food though and you aren't making any entrees, go with veggies - mashed cauliflower or sauteed asparagus would be good.
>>
>>7218557
Well there's going to be chopped pork belly meat in it

About a pound or more of Mr. T's Spicy Smoked Sausage.

and I'm going to throw in some crumbled hot sausage patties in there.

No chicken though.
>>
>>7218557
>I've never seen red beans and rice on its own

>>7218565
>Red beans and rice shouldn't be the main course,

Idiots.

Cornbread and green beans are the superior sides.
>>
>>7218549
I'm vietnamese so I'm going to be serving it with jasmine rice, because its all I got.

Do you think this might be a problem?

My red beans always comes out pretty fuckin good though.
>>
>>7218594
I was thinkin of making this new recipe I found called Spoon Cornbread. It's cornbread so soft you gotta eat it with a spoon.

Green beans sounds great though. Any good recipe's?
>>
File: 1451044379491.jpg (10KB, 153x176px) Image search: [Google]
1451044379491.jpg
10KB, 153x176px
>>7218594
>idiots

Maybe they're just.. not poor.
>>
>>7218596
Not a problem, jasmine rice can't be beat
>>
>>7218602
>It's cornbread so soft you gotta eat it with a spoon

You mean polenta?
>>
>>7218542
Cornbread and green onions
>>
>>7218602
Spoon bread is delicious, go for it.

For green beans, I like to get the raw ones and roast them in the oven so they soften up but don't have their flavor boiled out. Just toss with olive oil, sea salt, cayenne, and italian seasoning first, 375F for about 20-25 minutes or until browned.
>>
>>7218596
Jasmine rice has a pretty distinct flavor of its own, that probably won't play well with Cajun flavors of red beans and rice. Plain white is your best bet - I've had it with wild rice, as well, which wasn't awful, but wouldn't be my first choice.
>>
File: maque choux.jpg (56KB, 614x460px) Image search: [Google]
maque choux.jpg
56KB, 614x460px
Maque choux. It's a corn dish with mixed with other veggies and seasoning. You'll be punishing the toilet tomorrow if you have it with beans, but it's damn good.
>>
cornbread

greasy sausage

fried chicken offal (liver, gizzard, heart)

bitter greens

you will be living like a southern poverty king
>>
>>7218602
Cook to very soft with diced ham

For cornbread just get a box of jiffy and follow the directions
>>
File: 1438488421526.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1438488421526.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>7218557
>>7218565
I eat red beans rice as a main dish. Multiple days in a row.

But I also throw in a pound of sausage with the 1 lb bag of dry beans.
>>
Just cornbread. Red beans and rice is always the main dish.

But if this is for NYE why aren't you doing black eyed peas and greens?
>>
>>7218669
because its cold outside and I thought a pot of red beans and rice would be more homey

also because its got like a ton of fuckin meat in it.
>>
>>7218675
Don't get me wrong, red beans and rice is my favorite comfort food.

As a poor cajun, black eyed peas and greens are just a traditional thing you eat on New Years
>>
>>7218669
What are greens? Looks like kale maybe. With some onion and peppers thrown in.
>>
>>7218690
They don't know about our black eyed peas and greens meme on New Years Eve.
>>
that is a great looking plate of chili
>>
>>7218698
greens are usually:

turnip, mustard, or collard

turnip greens are very tasty and by far the easiest to cook

you already have pork belly, OP; go with turnip greens and cornbread

make sure to buy some hot pepper vinegar to sprinkle on it!
>>
>>7218690
black eyed peas on new years day for good luck bruhs and bruhettes
>>
black-eyed peas = pennies
turnip greens = dollars
cornbread = gold

this is the NYE symbolism
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.