[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1381314935105.jpg (93KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1381314935105.jpg
93KB, 800x600px
What is your go to food you bring camping/hiking?

I used to settle for noodles/hot dogs, but last time I went I tried bringing foil wrapped potatoes to cook under the campfire, canned corned beef, eggs in a hard case and some hard tack I made with jam. What have you had success bringing along?
>>
Pita and dehydrated hummus
Salami
Tuna
Instant oatmeal
GORP
>>
>>7187967
>What is your go to food you bring camping/hiking?
about 300 dollary-doos worth of jerky, cheap beer and whiskey. oh and a gallon of water.
>>
What have you had success bringing along?

My best pal Ennis Del Mar, things worked out just dandy
>>
>>7187967
>hobo packs (meat (generally cheap cuts of beef, but sausage works well), potatoes, green beans, S/P, little bit of broth)
>skillet cornbread
>Dutch oven chili (beans or no beans, your call)
>Sheppards pie (can reuse potatoes from hobo packs)

Honestly all you need is a good cast iron skillet, at least 12" and a decent dutch oven and you're set. Flat breads are easy and versatile too and can be prepared before hand and stored in a cooler easily or prepared on site for the slightly more ambitious.
>>
>>7188015
>hiking with an iron weight
>>
>>7188038
Is the wittle skillet gonna hurt your dainty shoulders?
>>
>>7187967
That depends on if there is a source of water there or I have to carry my own.
>>
>>7188051
I think you and I have very different ideas of hiking if you think an iron skillet is a good idea.
>>
>>7188072
You've never been hiking, obviously. You hike to your campsite. Stow your gear. Set up your shelter. Go fucking hiking.

Moron.
>>
>>7187989
I liked that reference.
>>
>>7187967
tushonka, salo, bread
>>
>>7188078
Fuck off Mike
>>
>>7188080
Validation complete
>>
>>7188038
Sorry. I read hiking/camping as going camping and hiking during the trip afterwards. If you're straight backpacking it, a dutch oven and 12" skillet wouldn't be a good idea. A solid tin fold up skillet is probably your best bet in that case.

I'm not an especially big guy, so I always shoot for the 35-40 lbs range, depending of course on how long we're going to be out. Obviously water/MREs/bare minimum is what you want.

OP was clearly not talking about pure hiking obviously you wouldn't take hot dogs.

>>7188072
A six inch skillet it not an insane notion. We did it all the time in scouts.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Mine is crock pot Mexican food
>>
I made potatoes wrapped in tinfoil on a camp fire once they turned out okay a little burnt on one side.
>>
>>7188078
u fucking retarded?
>>
>>7188078
Holy shit you are fucking stupid
>>
>>7187967
Depends on how far I am hiking/how long I am staying.

If it's a short hike in and am just doing one night then usually just a little bit of nuts or granola

If it's a bit longer hike but still one night then some cured meat, crackers and cheese along with nuts and some oatmeal

If it's a multi night trip then just whatever can be cooked in a jet boil. Usually some MREs because they are light, full of calories and after a few days in the woods actually taste pretty fucking good if you add a little hot sauce
>>
Pic related looks terrible. Just bring some sausage and grill my nigga
>>
>>7187967
I just need my trusty AR and a good knife.
>>
File: colonclogger.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
colonclogger.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
who wants to shit in the woods anyway
>>
Cheese board
Chili
Burgers
Coffee
Lemons (for the fish I catch)
MREs (taste testing for my prep cache)
Red potatoes
Oatmeal
Various dry meats (salami, summer sausage)
Apples
Instant soup
Tortillas
Cheese
Vegetables
Chips
Beer

Pretty much the essentials for a week. All you're doing out there is chilling, snacking, fishing and drinking.
>>
>>7190613
Car camping or backpacking. There's no fucking way I'm hiking 8 miles to a campsite with all that
>>
>Decent quality hotdogs and sausages.
>Triscuits (gotta be triscuits)
>Liverwurst
>Peanut butter
>A ton of graham crackers
>Several bags of marshmallows
>a lot of cheap Hershey's chocolate
>Cooler of assorted drinks
>>
>>7190651

Well if you're hiking then MREs and instant soup are the way to go. Dried fruits are also good. Jerky, trail mix. Need something for electrolytes you'll lose with all that hiking too, look into gatoraid gel packs and power bars.
>>
If you have access to a water supply then mix up a bag of all dried ingredients to make bread.

There's nothing quite like suffering through a windy, rainy storm and waking up the next morning to a campsite that smells like freshly baked bread.

I don't know if that attracts bears if you live in a country that has them so it might be something to think about.
>>
File: bearVaults_509.jpg (38KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
bearVaults_509.jpg
38KB, 450x300px
>>7191292
It would definitely attract bears. And if not bears then racoons I would thibk.

There are certain national parks here in Washington that require all food/cooking items to be stored in a bear vault even though there aren't bears in the area. I asked a ranger and they said racoons were starting to become dependent and aggressive towards campers

>pic related
>>
File: dutchovenpeachcobbler.jpg (368KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
dutchovenpeachcobbler.jpg
368KB, 1024x681px
>>7187967
>>
Really depends on the length of my stay and how much space can be spared for food.

If there's plenty of room and it's a more fully serviced camp site I'm happy to bring an esky with meat in ice. Bringing stuff like sausages to cook on the spot is easy. Alternatively it's still pretty easy to precook a couple of meals and put them in containers to bring along.

No matter what I always bring some flour and butter to make damper with. It's tradition.
>>
I like to forage as much as I can depending on where I go. We fish all the time, so I bring citrus with me. I have a travel spice bag as well.
>>
>>7187967
If you got freshwater lakes nearby, catching and cooking your own fish is pretty easy and makes a good meal. Just gotta have the gusto to not be squeamish bout cleaning out the fish yourself.

All you need to bring is a rod, bait, a good filet knife set, some seasoning, and potato or veg. You can grill or pan-sear the fish right over the camp fire. Corn is a great campfire veg, you can just soak a whole cob of corn in it's husk in cold water and put it directly on a grill grate or even the hot coals of the fire itself and they'll cook perfectly in just a couple minutes. You get that nice smokey flavor in the corn too, makes a nice compliment to the corn's natural sweetness. Foil wrapped potatoes or sweet potatoes are also great.

OP, you ever try a bag omlette? Pretty easy and fun to make on a camp trip and delicious with little to no cleanup if done right.
>>
>>7192438
I love catching and cooking fish right at the campsite.

Another thing that's really cool to do is, if you are catching a lot of fish, find a small stream that is feeding into the lake, and use rocks to make a little dam and then put your fish in there. That way in the morning you have live fish you can just pull straight out of the water to prepare rather than trying to catch more
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.