[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on offal /ck/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: offal.jpg (7KB, 319x158px) Image search: [Google]
offal.jpg
7KB, 319x158px
Thoughts on offal /ck/ ?
>>
good stuff
>>
gross
>>
File: offal1.jpg (74KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
offal1.jpg
74KB, 600x400px
>>7184146
I apologize for the size of the picture, have this one instead
>>
It's awful?
>>
Personal favorite of mine:
Tongue:

1 (2 lb) fresh beef tongue
1 small onion, sliced
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 bay leaf
1 whole star anise (optional)
2 whole cloves
½ tsp black peppercorns
1½ Tbsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sauce:

¼ cup chopped shallot
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ cup cream
1 cup stock or reserved cooking liquid from tongue
2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
½ – 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tsp fresh lemon juice
>>
File: 4005434191_18e98f7597.jpg (121KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
4005434191_18e98f7597.jpg
121KB, 500x334px
>>7184171
Shit, forgot the pic
>>
>>7184146
Just fried up a couple of beef heart steaks for less than $3. The meat is so flavorful and tender, so glad it hasn't been discovered by memenetwork yet.
>>
>>7184146
its pretty good,
>>brains
never brains though.
>>
So I recently acquired a vacuum sealed frozen beef tongue as well as ox tail. My buddy says he's got a kick ass recipe for ox tail stew so I was thinking of trying corned beef tongue or something to that degree. Does anyone have any experience with something like this.
>>
>>7184146
Meh.

I've had tripe, lengua, livers, etc.

None of it was particularly bad, but it was nothing special.

The way I see it, we used to use all the parts due to scarcity. In today's post-scarcity food wonderland(at least, in the US), there's no reason to purchase offal when good cuts are the same price.
>>
>>7184146
awful
>>
>>7184146

Delicious. Better than meats.
>>
Even though I'm big on using all parts of the cow, I can't bring myself to eat offal. I know I can't eat liver because of the taste. Tongue freaks me out, but if I tried one kind of offal it'd have to be tongue.
How do the various offal cuts taste?
>>
>>7184463
Liver and kidneys are god tier.
I hate chitins (chinchulin here) and stomch (mondongo).
Chicken hearts are good but unhealthy as fuck.
Sliced boiled and pickled tongue is godtier.
>>
Can be used creatively to make some pretty nice stuff. Nothing wrong with it. Not used often enough because people are too squeamish about cooking with it.
>>
>>7184463
absolutely nothing to fear from tongue. its ridiculously good
>>
>>7184269
I've only had brains in hirnesuppe (sp? Grandma was German and I think it just means brain soup) and with eggs.

I mean it's okay. I'd compare it to sweetbreads in terms of taste and texture. They're squishy.

I've only had liver and sweetbreads and brains. I've minced heart in with beef for spaghetti and burgers too.

How's tongue? Is there any way to make chicken hearts texture not disgusting? Are giblets good? Why is pate the perfect spread? Are prions are legitimate concern? Which liver is the best liver? Why do people throw away the liver when gutting fish? Why are Amerifats so afraid of organ meat? What do their food producers do with all the organs? Because theres no way they sell in that market. Do they just turn it into animal food?
>>
>>7185662
By giblets I mean gizzards
Sorry, most butchers here call gizzards giblets
>>
>>7185314
I had chicken hearts the other day at a Japanese bar, I thought they would be healthy being pretty just muscle?

Other than that today I had beef tendon and tripe in my pho. Tendon was good, tripe was ok.
>>
>>7184146
Favorites:
Chicken and pork chitlins, deep fried or grilled
Beef tongue

I hate liver though. I gave it lots of chances but I don't like it in all its forms.
>>
Liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, headcheese, oxtail, chicken hearts, all really really good.

The rest of it is just kind of okay. A good change in texture and a good way to use up the animal, but I don't necessarily seek it out. Good for soups, but not much else.
>>
>Chitlin sandwich aka Sanguche de Potito here in Chile

Absolute best.
>>
>>7184171
How do you prepare it?
>>
>>7185690
Chicken hearts are too fatty and full of uric acid. Not really healsthy but once in a while is fine.
I like them marinated on lemon juice, parsley, garlic and pepper corns then grilled.
Soy sauce and hot mustard works fine too.
>>
never cared for kidney or tripe

Liver, gizzards, tongue, heart, are all awesome.
Though, with the only exception being heart, they all take a lot of preparation to make them taste good.
I think gizzards fried straight out of the package suck. But if you trim them, and tenderize them and soak them in buttermilk before you fry them, they are awesome.

I think liver and onions is mediocre but pate is the shit.

Tongue you just have to cook like stew meat. Not hard, but long cook time.
>>
Liver, onions, sausage, bisto gravy and mashed potatos

Britbongs report in
>>
Mostly awesome, except cartilege and tripe.

Sour lungs and liver&onions are among my favorites. Actually liver in any shape or form is awesome. Foie gras is the best fucking thing on this planet.

Pic is beef lungs, tongue and heart paprikasch.
>>
Super down with liver, gizzards, sweetbreads, heart, kidneys, tripe. Simply cannot into lungs or brain. That liver taste times 1000 and texture combo makes me gag
>>
>>7187856
>outs the only two i actually like as 'not awesome'
>considers all the other gross-as-fuck ones 'awesome'
No.

Also
>paprikás
>has no paprika
Fuck outta here with that shit.
>>
>>7187884
>stop liking things I don't like
>>
I like tripe, I dont know why
>>
>>7184269
yeah id figure brains might have chemicals in them that would screw with your own brain so I tend to stay away from brains.
>>
>>7184171

do u think a recipe is just a bunch of ingredients

what do i do, throw all of that in a blender?
>>
>>7187884
>paprikás
>has no paprika
Please tell me if you have a better translation for szalontüdő.
>>
I once ate my own lungs, and ever since then they've been a big turnoff for me. Liver +bacon/onions is amazing. Stuffed lambs hearts are fantastic. Same goes for fried kidneys.Brains are a no-no. Sweetbreads? Eh, they are ok if you have no money.
>>
>>7184290
This. Offal is edible if cooked properly - but it's not some magical, amazing category of meat. Most offal is flavorless, tough tissue that tastes, at best, like whatever you cook it in/with.

The exceptions are tongue and heart (they're muscles after all), marrow (it's mostly fat), and livers, which are meaty and have the opposite problem from most offal in that they have an overwhelming flavor if eaten on their own.
>>
>>7187894
Why not just "lungs in lemon sauce?" Or just "sour lungs" since it's also called that.
>>
>>7187955
Sour lungs, that'll do.
>>
>>7184146
Eating pressure cooked chicken stomachs is like being cummed in the mouth, and I mean this in the best way possible.
>>
>>7187961
Savanyú tüdő it is.
But why beef? Are you Jewish?
>>
>>7187974
Nah, just that particular recipe with the pic is using beef. Although I do prefer beef liver to pork.
>>
>>7184146
liver, tongue, kidneys, tripe all god tier if prepared correctly (both beef and pork)
poultry gizzards (chicken and especially duck) are very nice and tender in goulash-style pots, chicken liver is very nice in a stir-fry or as a pâté
and of course the oft-overlooked memefood of duck and goose liver, which is just delicious seared quickly on a pan with something like a port reduction
>>
>>7184146
AWFUL
>>
>>7184146
depends entirely on wha, from which animal and how you made it. i's one of the most diverse food category there is. no one should reject it in general it can taste really good, my favorites are beef tongue, chicken hearts and duck liver
>>
>>7184463
try tongue mate, it tastes just like beef but more intense and jucier
>>
>>7184146
Liver is gross. Everything else is delicious. Beef tongue is a mighty fine piece of meat.
>>
>>7184290
>post-scarcity

The opposite of scarce isn't plentiful. It's infinite. Post scarcity is an imaginary concept.
>>
>>7184146
I expected prices to be much lower since most people either at home or in restaurants favor muscles, and with a lower demand price should be lower. But at least where I live they are around the same as average cuts. Am I missing anything?
>>
>>7184146

Of course

>liver
Patés, liver and onion

>tongue
Boiled with flavoring veggies, then served with a bit of oil, vinegar, lemon, finely chopped garlic and parsley
>>
>>7184146

i eat it & it is good
>>
>>7189667
If you're in Australia, maybe you're shopping at Woolworths. I was shocked when I saw the cost of offal there.
>>
File: suspicion.jpg (135KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
suspicion.jpg
135KB, 500x338px
>>7187909
>I once ate my own lungs
>>
>>7187909
The pancreas is very popular in Asia. Its value in the export market pushes up the price domestically. If you consider sweetbread cheap, you haven't tried the good stuff.
>>
>>7192009
Goddamnit I love Tawny Frogmouths
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.