[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grilled Cheese Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

File: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
How do you make your grilled cheese?
>bread?
>cheese?
>meat, spices, or soup?
>what do you cook it in? Oil, butter, or mayo?

Pic is what I just made. I used some cheapo whole wheat bread with sharp cheddar and some Dijon. Added a fried egg ontop. Thats some fine store brand canned tomato soup with Cajun seasoning added to it.
>>
Looks pretty good
>>
IMHO Grilled cheese is one of those things where you either need to stick with the basics OR go all-out. There's no room for middle ground.

Basics:
Crappy white supermarket bread, Kraft single, perhaps served with tomato soup on the side.

All-out:
Crusty rye bread, St. Andre, Camembert or Brie. (or all 3) Braised short rib meat, caramelized shallots & wine reduction.

Another good combination is sourdough, bacon, sauteed slices of pears, and herbed goat cheese.
>>
>>7169885
What the fuck did that person do to that poor sandwich?
>>
>>7169912
he put an egg on top of it
>>
>>7169918
An egg that wasn't even cooked. It's an abomination and an insult to that sandwich.
>>
>>7169908
how do you braise ribs
>>
>>7169921
It looks like it's cooked over easy. I don't know if maybe not a thing where you live, but it tastes good and many people like it. To be fair the flavor is best when the egg is fresh. Lots of people swear by keeping chickens just so they can have fresh eggs.

Also you can't really insult an sandwich. It's a dish that depends experimentation, or so I feel anyways.
>>
>>7169931
>"i'm going to half ass cook an egg and then eat it instead of cooking it entirely"
Eggs are not steak, you cook them all the way through.
>>
>>7169938
You might cook them all the way through and that's fine. I myself prefer my eggs a bit runny especially when cooked sunny side up. Is it disease or germs you're worried about?
>>
>>7169938
>Eggs are not steak, you cook them all the way through.

But that's wrong.
>>
>>7169943
You have bad taste in eggs.

>>7169945
It's easier to lie to someone than convince them that theyve been lied to.
>>
>>7169947
I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you enjoy your eggs the way you like them and nobody makes you eat them not cooked to your satisfaction.
>>
>>7169947
You do realise that much like steak, it's perfectly okay for a healthy person to eat raw egg?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a runny yolk in a fried, boiled or poached egg. In fact poached eggs should *always* have a runny yolk.
>>
>>7169947
and what you are doing here is lying
>>
>>7169924

Sear the ribs along with some aromatic veggies in the bottom of your roasting pan. Once you have a nice fond going add some stock and/or wine, put the lid on and cook loooww and sloooow until the meat is fall-apart tender. Remove meat from the bones then add it to the sandwich.
>>
File: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>7169938
Whatever you say kid. My personal preference is that I should've cooked it a tad bit more, but it should still be runny. I did win the lottery with the egg I used on my sandwich
>>
>>7169885
I use whole wheat because it's what I have 99% of the time, but I can appreciate other kinds (never cheap presliced white bread though).

You have to use butter and low heat because it crisps up so perfectly nice. It's just beautiful and golden brown and the crunch, but it isn't dry, and it's great. That's why I'm so very, very disappointed in you putting a fried egg on TOP. On the side? Sure. That sounds good. Dip, drag, and put the sandwich in your mouth and enjoy, but putting it on top is going to get rid of that nice crust you made with butter and the pan on your bread.

Also, I'm completely a pleb, because I'll use american cheese product whatever. I grew up on it, and it's what I still love, and it's a total comfort thing (deluxe slices not individually packaged). But cheddar? No. I would defend american cheese product before I went for a bland melted cheddar in my grilled cheese. I hate melting cheddar (unless it's part of a medley of cheeses, and even then, it's usually the weakest one).
>>
>>7169938

be quiet child, we don't give a shit about your low-quality bait
>>
>>7169979
>Cheddar
>Bland

Americans are priceless.
>>
>butter the outside of 2 pieces of bread
>Swiss and colby jack in between the two slice
>pan heated on medium high
>cook 2-3 minutes on each side until brown and cheese begins to melt nicely.
WALA MOFUCKAS!
>>
did you guys know that there are places who do delivery grilled cheese? First how fucking lazy do you have to have grilled cheese delivered to you, and secondly wouldn't it be too cold to be good by then? Like the whole point of grilled cheese is eating it while the insides are still molten
>>
>whole wheat bread
>fried mushrooms spinach green peppers jalapeƱo onions and garlic
>cheddar cheese
>don't butter the bread just melt a bunch of butter in the pan
>ketchup or hot sauce optional
>>
bit drunk, just made these bad boys.

>3 pieces of bacon per grilled cheese, well done
>+ cherry tomatoes, cut in slices
>in between 2 slices of cheese
>done in butter
>add some oregano, paprika and pepper inside, cut a garlic clove in half and rub it agains final product

I usually add Ruccola but unfortunately I had none. Result is delicious as usual
>>
File: Cheese.jpg (65KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Cheese.jpg
65KB, 500x375px
Sometimes when I don't feel like cleaning a greasy pan I like to toast bread, assemble with cheese and then microwave it. You really gotta flip it lots so the bread doesn't get all steamy though.
>>
I'm gonna go make grilled cheese and tomato soup cause I'm sick
>>
>>7170204
get well soon you dirty cu/ck/ deviant
>>
>>7170176
I think that stopped being a grilled cheese a few steps ago.
>>
>>7170208
why, too complex? I mean there's a fine line between a grilled cheese sandwich and a Croque-monsieur, but aren't we all grilled cheese in the hearth?
>>
>>7170193
Why not toast the whole sandwich in the pan with a lid? You would only need to flip once and it'll still keep enough heat to melt the cheese.
>>
>>7170221

lid traps steam making the sandwich soggy

Why on earth would you want to do that?
>>
>>7170236
nigga are you blind
>>
>>7170236
>obsiously grilled, "sharp cheddar" (whatever that means) lern 2 reed
>>
>>7170221
>Sometimes when I don't feel like cleaning a greasy pan [...]
>Why not use a pan?
>>
>>7170236

You've never heard the term "plancha grill" before?
>>
>>7170247
The amount of steam generated is absolutely tiny. The main point of using a lid is to trap the dry heat.

>>7170252
The pan wouldn't get greasy so he wouldn't need to wash it.
>>
>>7170176
Looks so good. One of these days I need to buy bacon and do that
>>
>>7169885
wouldn't the cheese just melt through the grill?
>>
Can you cook it on a BBQ? Or will it melt through the grill?
>>
File: 1447542094694.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447542094694.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>>7170552
>>
nigger if you put meat in your grilled cheese it stops becoming a grilled cheese and becomes a melt
>>
>>7170611
Nice meme
>>
>>7169885
Whole wheat bread, Vermont Cheddar, Sliced tomato, campbell's tomato soup with crushed red pepper flakes.
>>
>>7169908
that dere basic was almost my lunch today

I went with basic chili dogs instead.
>>
Sourdough, jalepeno jelly, havarti.
>>
>make a thread about cooking
>0 replies
>Make an American college kid meme food thread
>0-300 in 60 seconds

never change
>>
>>7170784
What about making grilled cheese sandwiches isn't about cooking?

It doesn't have to be prissy fucking molecular gastronomy small plate bullshit to be considered cooking.
>>
>>7170798
And this is why America will lose the next world war.
>>
>>7170709
Do you grill it with the sliced tomato in there or add it afterwards? I never tried it but it sounds like the tomato would lose all firmness and just be a gross mush.
>>7170784
Is this thread not about cooking, my upset friend? I'm sorry it is not fancy enough for your superiority complex
>>
>>7169885
>spilling the yolk instead of biting it off together with whatever's underneath the egg, looks like a hashbrown
Why?
>>
>>7169938
It's the opposite.
>>
>>7170784
You seem pretty asshurt. Tell me which shitty thread you started and I'll go find it in the catalog. I'll leave a reply so you don't feel so bad
>>
>>7170803
Because people make grilled cheese sandwiches?

Does not compute.
>>
>>7170784
Your post-avant-garde cooking thread is not a thread about cooking.
>>
>>7170808
Cutting sandwiches in half (diagonally of course) reducing air drag when taking bites and enhances flavor.
It's toasted whole wheat bread (as clearly stated) not a hash brown my nig nog
>>
>>7170836
But why would you spill the yolk?
Biting off the whole yolk together with bread is the single best thing about sunny side-up eggs with runny yolks.
>>
>>7170784
>muh americans
stay mad retard
>>
>>7170851
The entire yolk in one bite? I don't think I ever did that. The egg had a double yolk so I'd have to take one massive bite to get it all.
Or are just talking about spilling the yolk by biting into it?
>>
>>7170897
The entire yolk. Eggs I usually get tend to have yolks sized exactly perfect for that.
>>
>>7169938
Jesus christ what are you an old lady?
>>
>>7169885
I turn my toaster sideways xD
>>
>>7169885

>Bread

Honestly, sourdough is incredible

>Cheeses

Cheddar+boursin herb cream cheese

>Meat/spices

I usually don't add meat, but if I do, it will be some kind of salami. And I like to add pepper as well.

>What do you cook it in

Butter. It's a grilled cheese. It's not healthy. It's not meant to be. It's not something I eat daily. Just don't hold back, go the whole 9 yards. Butter tastes the best. Way better than anything else.

I will have a bowl of tomato, french onion, or minestrone soup with the sandwich.
>>
>>7170784
I'm sorry we're not rubbing our dicks with pink Himalayan salt and shoving fancy green onions up our asses. gtfo you fucking faggot. kill yourself in a fire.
>>
It isn't a grilled cheese if there's anything but cheese and bread you nerds
>>
>>7169885
Can anyone recommend a high quality bread for really good sandwiches?
>>
>>7171632

Find herb foccacia or pannini
>>
>>7171632
mayonnaise
>>
>>7169885
I'm sorry, nothing on that plate indicates "grilled cheese" to me. The only "grilled cheese" I can think of is halloumi... grilled.

What you have there is a pan-fried cheese sandwich.
>>
File: OCGC.png (2MB, 1236x928px) Image search: [Google]
OCGC.png
2MB, 1236x928px
>>7171681
Regardless, here's some OC.

Tomato and basil soup with croutons and parmesan cheese. I used thin layer of mayo for the bread. Two slices of Colby cheese.
>>
>>7171681
> not a "Grilled cheese"
> but rather "pan-fried cheese sandwich"
???

The parm on the tomato soup sounds like a nice addition though
>>
File: 1434673214986.jpg (67KB, 456x750px) Image search: [Google]
1434673214986.jpg
67KB, 456x750px
>>7169938
only children, the very old, and insufferable faggots think this
>>
File: grilledchilicheese.jpg (47KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
grilledchilicheese.jpg
47KB, 1000x667px
i made this two days ago with chili. was pretty nice!
>>
>>7171828
This is the best grilled cheese I've ever seen.

Post everything you used.
>>
>>7171828
i..is that a pizza sandwich?
>>
What I usually do is quarter my grilled cheese and season each quarter differently. This will give me an idea of what flavours go well together which is the most important quality in cooking.
>>
>>7171918
learn to read!

>>7171915
no problem. made chili without beans with ground beef and some meat you use for gulash, onions, garlic, cumin, chili, beef-stock, chipotle and some other spices. buttered a toast, put slices of cheese (aged cheddar, mozzarella and a other one i forgot) a little bit chili on the toast and put all in a pan. used a pot with water to press all together in the pan

thats all, pretty nice and easy
>>
File: NO.png (103KB, 660x220px) Image search: [Google]
NO.png
103KB, 660x220px
>>7170784

>my forced 1/4 egg seasoning trick meme
>>
Reminder that it's no longer a grilled cheese the instant you add something other than cheese
>>
>bread
Rye, sue me.
>cheese
Depends, I like using cheddar most of the time but I'll go with jack cheese once in a while.
>meat, spices, or soup?
Tomato bisque all the way for soup. Sometimes the misses will make french onion soup. Occasionally I'll add thin sliced ham or bacon bits to the sandwich.
>what do you cook it in? Oil, butter, or mayo?
Butter. Never done it with the other two.
>>
>>7172051
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>7169908

>camembert or brie

NO you pleb. so fucking sick of people melting these in sandwiches and burgers and shit, they're SHIT you might as well do fucking dairylea. you want stretchy, sharp and nutty for a grilled cheese. like a mix of gruyere and mozzarella or something.
>>
>grilled cheese sandwich
>actually a pan-toasted cheese sandwich
>>
>Walmart rye
>Kraft American Cheese (whites)
>Land O Lakes Butter with Canola Oil

>soup
If my soup was pathetic enough to have to have to be paired with a sandwich, I guess I'd go with a spicy tomato, but I generally prefer hearty soups that are meals themselves
>>
>>7171636
kek
>>
>>7172135

Gruyere and mozz are delicious but too fucking mild to stand up to other strong ingredients.
>>
>>7172875

gruyere is extremely strong in flavour

>other strong ingredients

...bread?
>>
>>7172884
Look at the other posts.
>short rib
>caramelized shallot and wine reduction
>burgers
>>
>>7171828
>>7171929
I need to make this some time. That looks so good and so fancy
>>
>>7172990

camembert and brie don't 'stand up' to those ingredients, they *clash*. i fucking hate camembert in burgers it's awful. and gruyere is just as strong if not stronger in flavour anyway.
>>
Adding anything other then bread, cheese, and some sort of butter or mayo to grill the bread? What the fuck is wrong with you guys?
>>
>>7174509
>not eating a bacon egg ham and cheese sandwich

Stay pleb, friendo
>>
>>7174509
I like dijon mustard on my grilled cheese. It helps cut the richness and the flavor works with cheddar.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

Has anyone tried this?
And does anyone actually "grill" their grilled cheese?
>>
>>7169885
Do you put fried eggs on your burgers as well?
>>
>>7174532
that actually sounds really good desu senpai
>>
File: 1358579595761.png (266KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1358579595761.png
266KB, 640x400px
>>7169938
Thank you for this post. I've laughed at things I've seen on 4chan before, and I've laughed at shit that people have said on 4chan, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've laughed at the poster himself for being mentally deficient.
>>
>>7174509
where is the reason behind this stupid fuck? it tastes good so i will eat this. diehard
>>
the only things you need for a good grill cheese is a decent light bread of your choice.

multi-grain
white
rye (my personally favourite.)

and velvetta cheese, best cheese for grilled cheese. add a fried egg if you really want.

quick easy tasty. serve with tomato soup.

10/10 meal
>>
>>7175046

>LEMME MAKE YOU A SAMMICH WITH SOME THICKASS BREAD

What is it with hipster chefs & thick bread.
Do they like chewing on a mouthful of bread, or is there something else to it I am missing?

>some of you may complain that the spatulas actually function as a griddle
It does. Alton confirmed for Hipster try-hard.
>>
File: 1445347175925.jpg (71KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445347175925.jpg
71KB, 600x600px
>>7169938
fucking retard lmao
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY
>>
>>7170806
It's mush but I'm into that.
>>
>>7174516

That's not a grilled cheese that's a melt now you retard
>>
>>7172875
What the fuck gruyere you buying?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.