[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whiskey/whisky/bourbon/rye thread? Is bourbon more like Irish,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

Whiskey/whisky/bourbon/rye thread?

Is bourbon more like Irish, or Scotch?

What about Tennessee Whiskey?

Is Jameson a good Irish whiskey?
>>
File: Alcohol Tier.jpg (679KB, 4800x1548px) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol Tier.jpg
679KB, 4800x1548px
>>
Ho boy. Been waiting for a thread like this.

Competition bartender and distillery hand here.

Bourbon is nothing like Irish or Scotch.
Tennessee whisky is closer to bourbon, but tends to be smokier.
Jameson is a good all round. Once you get into the higher aged or special editions it becomes a superior whisky.
>>
>>7129999
The scotch is on point, the bourbon tier is way too heavily biased on personal opinion, and the tequila is plain wrong.
>>
>>7130048
Bourbon is nothing like them in how they are made, or taste, or both?

Doesn't Bourbon come from stuff the early immigrants from Ireland/Scotland made?

Did they really change the process that much?
>>
>>7130055
Both. Bourbon being made from mostly corn, and using only fresh barrels, is distinctly sweeter and much stronger in its vanilla flavours.

The stills used are generally newer as well, so they're slightly purer.

Bourbon came from necessity. The majority of Americans drank cheap brandy, but the supply and demand became so great, they turned to using corn. The kentucky region was overflowing with the grain, which is why so many distilleries started there.

Bourbon is very highly regulated in how its made and what can be added to it compared to scotch, leaving less room for different flavours.
>>
All whisky varies based on where it's made and what local/imported materials are used. It all starts as grain whisky, but differences in mash composition and aging vessel/time make up the more noticeable differences. Also how different casks are blended to alter the texture and consistency of the whisky.

Bourbon, Tennessee, and (American) Rye are cousins. They are the most similar to each other.

Tennessee whiskey is just Bourbon with some slight differences (mostly where they're made) and fewer varieties.

Scotch and Irish whiskies are cousins. Scotch has more variety but you see some "scotch-like" Irish whiskies too (e.g. Knoppague Castle).

Jameson is quite good. It's pretty much the "standard" Irish whiskey, but it ain't too shabby at all. I have often picked up a bottle of Jameson and found it to be exceptionally good, and I don't know to what extent that's batch differences or my mood or what. But you can't go wrong with it.
>>
File: 1440794641987.png (464KB, 481x518px) Image search: [Google]
1440794641987.png
464KB, 481x518px
>>7129999
>Wild Turkey 101 not in delicious tier
>>
>>7130091
It's a really confusing ranking. I personally wouldn't but Elijah Craig 12 and Four Roses higher than Evan Williams SB, certainly not the same as OGD 114, I'd put Maker's Mark and Turkey 101 higher than or level to Knob Creek, and I'd bump Bulleit down a fair bit.
>>
>>7130101
Agreed.
>>
>>7130053
Curious about affordable options for whiskey and such.

I'm not a fan of scotch at all, I think its the peat.

I'm not much for sipping booze unless its absinthe but I do enjoy Angels Envy whenever my step-father has a bottle on hand.
>>
What to get if I don't like rye bills in my bourbon? I love Maker's Mark, but dislike Bulleit and Knob Creek.
>>
>>7130053
Explain how the tequila is wrong. Looks about right to me.
>>
>>7130137
You can get many unpeated scotchs, Anything from the Highland region would work, though if you're after affordability as well, I'd swing towards bourbon,
>>
>>7130143
Stick to wheated bourbons. Makers 46 is good if you like that intensity, Pappy is good aswell if you have the spare cash. Rebel Yell as well.
>>
>>7130156
Cabo shouldn't be that High, neither should Patron Anejo. Centenari is in the middle which should trump all other on that list.
>>
File: 20151126_170449.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151126_170449.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Whiskey nerd here, scotch is god-tier. Van Winkle releases over 15 yr are overhyped, Old Rip 10 and Van Winkle 12 are legendary, however. Best scotch all-around is JW Black / Takisker 10, Grants for the cheapskates. Almost all irish whiskey tastes the same, none are worth more than $30 [knappogue 12]. Canadian whiskey ALL tastes the same.

Mezcal is the true God spirit of the North Americas, I even think it's better than bourbon, at least beyond the "everyday drinking" capacity. Wahaka and Fidencio make such dope crafted spirits, every release is different and interesting, with Tepextate being my current boner
>>
>>7130178
I agree with the centenario being godtier. Cabo & Don Julio is god tier imo. Anything patrron is mid tier. Anything cuervo is shit tier.
>>
>>7130169
Bourbon it is. I hear 4 roses is really good for its price.

Never tried any of the higher quality JD, been interested in Bulliet but never bothered to pick up a bottle of either the rye or the regular bourbon.

You said that chart was heavily biased? How so.
>>
>>7130191
Mezcals are really fucking underrated

I once had a really simple Bloody Maria made with mezcal. It was enlightening.
>>
>>7130048
imo tennesee whiskey tastes "cleaner" not smokier. hard to explain. like there are less corn elements, and just ethanol and oak sugar i guess.
>>7130055
bourbon is kinda like what would happen if you ate cracker jacks/caramel corn while you drank irish whiskey but without the obvious gross texture of popcorn in your mouth
>>
>>7129999
wheres old grand dad on this?
>>
>>7129999
nice quads. you forgot to put jeffersons reserve just below the pappy
>>
File: 20151201_231018.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151201_231018.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Does Johnnie walker stand in this arena? Typically I buy a fifty dollar bottle of blacklabel but due to holiday purchasing the glass house I frequent was out of stock. Picked up a handle of this for five dollars cheaper not bad neat, better with a splash of water.
>>
>>7130286
Red label holds a special place in my heart. We always drank it with black tea in Taiwan. No sugar, just a bit of tea while we played pool. Gave you something to sip on and quench the thirst.
I really miss green though.
>>
>>
Isn't Japan making the best scotch in the world now?
>>
>>7129991
IMO it's more like Irish because it's not peaty and Jameson is a decent starter Irish whisky.
>>
>>7131318
only if you're a weeb
>>
>>7131318
no
>>
>>7131318

No, Scotch is from Scotland, they make a meh-tier whiskey though.

You're the type of person to call Korbel Champagne as well....aren't you....
>>
Marine drinking song- Yo- Ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSKPjFI0A

With respect to that one, this is a better version...
yo ho, dirty sailor song (sea ocean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4077-uVwq9M
(barnicle bill)
>>
File: 1354053318937.png (2MB, 2052x2816px) Image search: [Google]
1354053318937.png
2MB, 2052x2816px
>>
>>7131301
Based

Woodford Reserve is top-tier
>>
>>7129999
>no Auchentoshan 18 in Nectar of the Gods

trash.
>>
Can someone tell me whats up with Buchanans 18yr whiskey? Is it good? Seems like all the mexicans are hung up on that shit and now im curious.
>>
>>7130191
Mezcal is amazing and also tends to be very easy for islay drinkers to get into, im on an arroqueno and tobala kick right now.
>>
>>7131318
japan and taiwan(kalavan) are defiatly producing some awesome whiskym its just expensive and for many scotch drinkers the quality to cost doesnt match up(when you factor in the higher cost of space and materials and the fact its export it makes sense why the cost is what it is)

i tend to think that some die hard scotch drinkers underate the japanese and taiwanese stuff is becuase the wiskey is(in my opinion) skewed twords asian palettes(kalavan especialy being very floral and full of fruity high notes that would register with a Chinese or Japanese drinker)

if you ever get the chance to try Kavalan solo vinho bariqe do it, its pricey but is absolute fireworks in the mouth , full of manderin peel
>>
>>7131332
jappanese whiskey definatly isnt scotch but.....scotch is the reference point and what the distilers are very much trying to emulate
>>
>>7130191
>Canadian whiskey ALL tastes the same

That's not entirely true, some of them are pure gutrot and I would know because I spent my teen-age years drinking the crap. After I tried scotch and bourbon for the first time, I realized why we're the only ones who drink the stuff
>>
>>7130267
They filter Tennesse whiskey through charcoal. Jack Daniel's uses sugar maples.
>>
>>7130191
>>7133373
confirmed for never trying Forty Creek or Alberta Premium
>>
File: pappy_van_winkle_bourbon.jpg (61KB, 893x669px) Image search: [Google]
pappy_van_winkle_bourbon.jpg
61KB, 893x669px
>>7129999

No Pappy's in the Bourbon section?
>>
>Best shanty from AC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RoX7kOs_I
>>
someone should start making info charts for all alcohol, not just for whiskey and such.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.