[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diamond sharpening stones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

What do you think of diamond sharpening stones? I've been looking for different alternatives to sharpen my knives. These aren't very exclusive or expensive knives. I have several Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives, a few Wusthoff knives, a Victorinox Pallisander knife, and some (even) cheaper knives which I still want to sharpen.
I've looked a the 'normal' whetstones, sharpening systems (like chef's choice) and diamond stones.

Diamond stones have my interest now, because they're more resilient and require less maintenance and so on.

My purpose is to get the knives in a reasonably sharp state, but I have no fetish with ultra super duper sharp knives.
So while this might become a new hobby and be a 'Zen moment' for me, the most important thing is to get the knives in a decent shape.

I've found a couple of different brands on several sites, for example DMT and DMD (Chinese stuff).
I tend to favor DMD, because they are half the price of DMT.

Do you have experience with these stones and with these brands?
Advice, tips and experiences are well appreciated.
>>
Why are you looking for an alternative to whet stones? There is no need to reinvent the proverbial wheel.
>>
I just use the sharpener rod thingy that came with my knife set. Just use it every time I'm going to use the knife, works fine.
>>
The ones I am looking at now are these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-DMD-Double-Sided-Diamond-Professional-Knife-Sharpening-Stone-bench-Sharpener-/181529879964?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/DMT-DMTDMTWM8CX-8-Duosharp-Plus-Measures-8-X-2-5-8-Double-Sided-2-Grit-Diamond-/262169277367?nav=SEARCH
>>
>>7128146
The main reason is that, at least from what I've read, that whetstones require more maintenance and are easier to mess up.
Also price might be an issue. Not sure how much a decent set of regular whetstones would set me back.
>>
File: DMTFFHWFb.jpg (22KB, 1500x865px) Image search: [Google]
DMTFFHWFb.jpg
22KB, 1500x865px
I have a pocket diamond sharpener (fine) like pic related.

This shit makes knives crazy sharp and doesn't ever become uneven like ancient whetstone tech. It cost me $25 in home depot but it was worth it to be quite honest.

If you sharpen a knife with pic related for 5 minutes it will become very sharp and cut arm hairs with a little bit of pressure. There are other version sold on amazon like extra fine and extra extra fine which are extremely overkill for kitchen use in my opinion.

I sharpen kitchen knives and pocket knives with it and all can cut arm hairs after 5 minutes of sharpening (even pocket knives) but kitchen knives get the most razor sharp most likely due to the acute angle the edges of the knives are.

I'm never touching another whetstone except for fixing a chipped or severely dull knife. Even then a few more minutes with the diamond sharpener may be enough.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-01-13-25-11.png (83KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-01-13-25-11.png
83KB, 960x540px
>>7128248
>If that one isn't fine or extra fine, do they just call it medium or something? I might order one today, I have some other things I need on amazon.
It's fine and at least for DMT diamond sharpeners "fine" refers to 600 mesh, 25 micron). This is the sharpener I have that makes my pocket knife cut arm hairs with a little bit of pressure. That being said I see very limited use for knives sharpened with extra fine or extra extra fine DMT diamond sharpeners. It will probably just make them dull faster.

You should get the one I have, it's only $15 on amazon right now. I wish I had gotten it off amazon, home depot fucking ripped me off man.
>>
>>7128269
I deleted my post because I somehow missed the very first sentence of yours. Thank you though. I think I'll pick one up to try out. I haven't tried diamond sharpeners, but I like my diamond steel.
>>
>>7128165

I think you're accidentally exaggerating how difficult it is to mess up a whetstone. Can it be done? Sure. Is it likely? No. Especially not at the amount of sharpening that a home user would do.
>>
>>7128298
Not him but diamond sharpeners really are the best. I have an extra fine diamond sharpener and I kinda regret getting it sometimes due to how massively sharp it makes my pocket knife. The edge gets dull pretty quick but it may be due to low quality steel or something.
>>
>>7128269
>imited use for knives sharpened with extra fine or extra extra fine DMT diamond sharpeners. It will probably just make them dull faster.

confirmed for having no clue what you are talking about. impractical? perhaps. But nothing makes the knife dull faster unless you are a flat-out idiot.
>>
>>7128344
This. Also the reason most knives get dull so quickly is because the steel they use is shit. Of course a $20 chef knife will dull out in a couple of days significantly more than a $60 one.
>>
>>7128269
edgy post
>>
>>7128382
kek
>>
>>7128312
Home user here, I've dished, chipped, and contaminated stones with oil

It's definitely a possibility "even" for home users (not sure what you think is unique about home use). Of course it depends on how careful you are.

Anyway an 8k stone is good enough for shaving (uncomfortably), the reason they're not more popular is mostly because m'feels
>>
>>7128424
I hear 25 micron diamond sharpeners are just as good as 8K grit whetstones, Is that true? If not what diamond micron is comparable to 8K grit whetstones?
>>
>>7128312

Maybe you're right. Read different things on this matter.
I was thinking, maybe it's an idea to do the first steps with a diamond stone and the final step with a regular whetstone.

Then again, if diamond stones achieve the same or similar results as whetstones, and are more idiot-proof, why not buy a diamond one?
>>
>>7128446
Try 3 micron, 25 micron is like 500 JIS grit
>>
>>7128585
It's been a long time since I've used any diamond abrasives, and I'm sure there are some out there where it wouldn't be much of a concern, but clogging up surface and sloughing off of abrasive matrix used to be common issues with them, so look into that a bit before you buy one. The clogging is relatively easy to fix, but it can make sharpening more of a pain if you have to clean the stone often for a consistent result. Besides any of that, no slurry makes me sad.
>>
>>7128141
There are some good diamond sharpeners out there, but I would recommend a lansky or similar jig type sharpener for breaking the factory edge and a ceramic honing rod. A traditional whetstone is an excellent solution, but it takes a long time to really build skill with it. A jig will give you sharp knives while you learn the stone. I recommend hitting up the thrift store for some cheap knives to practice on the stone with.
>>
>>7128141

Having used diamond plates, oilstones, and Japanese Waterstones fairly extensively, I can tell you that each has strengths and weaknesses.

Diamond plates are not really less maintenance than other stones because they should be used with mineral oil to prevent the metal swarf from the knife from clogging the stone, and will have to regularly be scrubbed with comet and a scouring pad to keep from loading.

On the other hand, they stay flat and are reasonably fast. The downside is that they leave a very deep scratch pattern compared to their grit rating since the whole abrasive particles rests above the substrate, and they tend to form a large and ragged burr (weakened metal hanging over the apex like a hook).

For a beginner, I would probably recommend oil stones more, such as a Norton India coarse/fine or a Norton Crystolon coarse/fine combo stone. These types of stones must be used with mineral oil, but they slowly release new grit as you use the stone, but without the risk of gouging and needing to be flattened frequently you get with Waterstones.

Just remember that you MUST use mineral oil with these stones, they will clog rapidly without it! They give a finer finish and cleaner apex for the grit rating that diamond plates, and give better audible and tactile feedback when you are on the right angle, but still have a high risk of forming a large, stubborn burr that can degrade performance unless burr minimization techniques are used.

Finally, waterstones are high maintenance, needing to be flattened frequently and carrying a risk of gouging if used improperly, but they cut the fastest while leaving the finest scratch pattern in relation to their grit. The mud/slurry they form also tends to keep the apex clean and burr free. Having used all three types, I massively prefer waterstones for sharpening.
>>
>>7128141
Why would you want to sharpen your diamonds?
>>
>>7131024
Thanks for all the advice anons. After looking around on EBay and Amzon I've ordered these.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181656587154?_mwBanner=1

They are relatively cheap, so I think it's worth the try.
There is a 400 and a 1000 grit. Curious how these grits will stack up compared to whetstones.

Is it a good idea to do the first steps with a diamond stone, and use an oilstone for the finer finish?
I will try out oilstones too.

I saw some dude on YouTube cleaning diamond stones with a pencil eraser. Seemed to work well.
>>
>>7128424
>Home user here, I've dished, chipped, and contaminated stones with oil

None of those things actually ruined the stone though.
Dished? Flatten it.
Chipped? Depends on what you mean. If you somehow managed to chip the center of the stone then I'm amazed how that is even possible and I certainly wouldn't consider that "normal use". If you chipped the edge of a stone, who cares? You don't use the edges of the stone to sharpen.
Oil? Toss it in the dishwasher. Soap washes out oil.

All of those things you mentioned might be "mistakes" but they're by no means ruining the stone.
>>
>>7131299

The most commonly available oilstones (Norton India and Crystolon combination stones) are closer to 100-grit on the coarse side and 320-grit on the fine side, though I would expect a 320-grit Crystolon or India stone to leave a finer scratch pattern than a 400-grit DMT.

Pencil erasers can work for cleaning diamond plates, but a scouring pad and some comet or barkeepers friend is faster in my opinion.
>>
I want to buy a few kitchen knives and sharpners fotr my mom, what brand knives are solid?
>>
>>7131705
Shigefusa for the knives or keijiro doi if poor
Shinden yama renge suita or Nakayama maruka for the stones
>>
fuck all that manual shit, we have electicity, use it.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-14/power-sharpeners/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

works out EVERYTIME, and it takes 1 minute to sharpen a blade from "i cant cut shit" to "like a fuckin stanley blade" .
>>
>>7131762
>not even water cooled
we have technology that won't ruin knives, you Luddite

http://www.tormek.com/en/machines/t7/
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>7131762
>"like a fuckin stanley blade"
>as a standard of sharpness
>in a positive sense

Ayy lmao, guess we know why you had to buy a worksharp.
>>
$40 Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander is the most versatile and efficient way to sharpen. Can go from reprofiling to mirror edge with the right belts and rouges
>>
>>7132377
You'll spend at least as much on a collection of belts.

Also, I tried diamond shit before and I hate it. It starts out feeling too coarse, and as you chip the diamonds, it ends up feeling really slow.
>>
>>7132377

Meet

>>7131766
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.