[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spring/Egg Rolls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: spring-roll-wrapper-22cm.jpg (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
spring-roll-wrapper-22cm.jpg
43KB, 400x400px
Hey guys, so I was digging around in my pantry and I found I had some spring roll wrappers I must have picked up. This looks pretty identical to the ones I have and was too lazy to take my own pic.

Does anyone have any good spring roll recipes? Or ideas of what to put in them? I'm roasting a turkey right now because we went over my Aunt's for Thanksgiving so I've got to make my turkey now.

Also, are they supposed to look like paper? They feel very, very weird.
>>
You soak them until they're pliable, then stuff them with stuff.

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/vietnamese-style-summer-rolls-with-peanut-sauce-10641
>>
>>7121616
Thanks for the link, it reminded me I also have some shrimp in the fridge I want to cook up.

Have you ever made spring rolls before? That link says to eat them like they are, but could I also fry them? Obviously I'd have to let them dry out before I do because I need to soak them to make them pliable.
>>
I'm thinking about cooking up the shrimp and chopping them to put in the rolls, but I don't have rice noodles, or any Asian vegetables on me, and I don't want to run out to the store.

Any suggestions on what I could put in them instead?
>>
You can fry them. They come out surprisingly tasty.

What else do you have in the fridge OP?
>>
You don't need Asian vegies.

You can just pack any salad gear in it.

Basically you wind up with a roll minus the bun.

IE:

- Left over chicken (or turkey)

- Grated Carrots

- Thinly sliced Cucumber

- Thinly sliced Tomato

- Lettuce

- Some type of dressing

Wrap it up.

As the moist noodle wrapper dries, it holds firm.

Just remember to pack the ingredients firmly and wrap tight (but don't tear or if you do tear the noodle wrap, make another and wrap it over)
>>
>>7121629
They're either eaten cold, with the various stuffings cooked, or deep fried.
Personally, I prefer them fresh. The mix of noodles, meat, and mint goes great with the peanut sauce or seasoned fish sauce.
>>
>>7121697
Yeah I planned on frying them, I don't think I'd (or anyone else in the house) would like to eat them raw) and I think I changed my mind. I think I'm gonna marinade my shrimp and skewer them for the grill.

I was thinking maybe I should just run to my store up the road and pick up a pack of ground chicken or pork and do an Asian marinade in that. Also grab a head of cabbage while I'm there. I have carrots, celery, and some peppers. Onions out in the garage. Fridge has mostly leftovers from a week of cooking.
>>
>>7121725
Sounds like a good mix.

Make up a couple of dipping sauces too.

The peanut sauced mentioned is awesome.
>>
>>7121725
They taste really flat unless you add the fresh mint.
>>
>>7121741
I was really intrigued by that peanut sauce. Ever made it? I think it would come out good.

>>7121780
Should I pick up some mint too while I'm there? I've only used mint in Tzatziki sauce, never really anywhere else.
>>
Ok guys! Sorry I'm so late. I ran to the store, got 1lb of ground pork, some cabbage and beer (not using that in the recipe.)

Should I season the pork with anything besides garlic and ginger? I was thinking about cooking the pork down, then throwing in my "slaw" and cooking for a minute and then throw some soy sauce and oyster sauce in there.

I have fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sambal chili paste, sesame oil, etc.
>>
>>7122149
I'd also put in some soy and a bit of sambal. You want the ingredients to harmonize well, and preferably have a very strongly flavored dipping sauce.
>>
>>7122222
Put them in when i add the slaw to cook down a bit? Because after a few mins I'm going to have to let everything drain. The soy and sambal would still be prevalent in the taste right, after draining the liquid?
>>
File: 20151129_181910.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151129_181910.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Here is the mixture draining and cooling off!
>>
>>7122648
Just tasted the mix. It tastes good as fuck. Maybe a *touch* too much soy but I can deal.

As soon as this all cools down, gonna start rolling the egg rolls and gonna fry them.
>>
File: 20151129_200540.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151129_200540.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Rolled and ready to fry
>>
>>7122948
Patiently waiting...
>>
>>7122958
Hang in there with me anon, gonna let them sit for a little and then gonna fry them. It will happen tonight, promise.
>>
>>7122958
I'm sorry Anon, I lied to you. The beer and other things took my time away.

I will however be frying these tomorrow (today) around noon-ish? so around 12-1pm EST i will be finally frying these.

>>7122648
Also to anyone wondering, I have a good amount of mix left over. I just decided I would stop rolling wrappers when my sheet pan was full. If they turn out well, I'll do the remaining wrappers. If not, well I'll still eat them because the filling is delicious.
>>
>>7122948
OP those look like the Chinese spring roll pastry wrappers.

I thought you had the rice paper wrappers.

You definitely have to cook them.

Post results!
>>
>>7124391
Should have mentioned, sorry! I picked up a package of regular egg roll wrappers when i went to the store yesterday. I do have the rice paper wrappers as well but I put them back in the pantry.

Waiting on a call from my Dr office then gonna get frying them up!

I was gonna use my wok because I saw it uses less oil because of the shape, and I'm in no rush really. I have peanut oil I was going to use, or should I just use regular olive oil?
>>
>>7124670
Definitely peanut oil.
>>
>>7124677
Will do. I hope I have enough to make all of them. I'm down to close to the bottom of the oil bottle.

Just curious, do you guys want to see the wok and oil and everything when I start? Or just finished product?
>>
>>7124695
Since you already shortchanged us on the prop and assembly pictures, might as well just go straight to the finished product.
>>
>>7124704
I browned pork and cut veggies. Then seasoned them. Then rolled them. I didn't think you'd need step by steps for that.
>>
>>7124714
We don't necessarily need the step by step pictures, but it's more content and more chances that the trolls can pick apart everything you're doing and tell you the 500 ways you're doing everything wrong.
>>
File: 20151130_170207.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151130_170207.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Ok sorry about the delay. Dr office visit and errands derailed my day. But here we go! Getting ready to fry
>>
File: 20151130_173134.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151130_173134.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
All done! Pardon the lighting and yes they are a lil burnt around the edges. I don't ever fry so this was basically my first attempt. Gonna let them cool then Crack one open
>>
>>7125712
Look pretty decent even if they are a bit burned. I'd eat them.
>>
>>7125718
Thank you! I mixed up some Chinese mustard from a powder from penzeys. And a fellow anon posted a Thai peanut sauce earlier I might try that too
>>
>>7121616
>>7125718
>>7125760

Ok, so in a little bit I'm gonna go make the peanut sauce. Since I guess I cheated you guys on the egg rolls pics, would anyone like pics of all my ingredients and me actually mixing the sauce?

It's just dumping a bowl and whisking though, not a lot to show.
>>
File: 20151130_192759.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151130_192759.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Don't have hoisin sauce (used to but it's mia) so gonna just leave it out
>>
File: egg rolls.jpg (21KB, 375x325px) Image search: [Google]
egg rolls.jpg
21KB, 375x325px
> Egg Rolls

Do these still exist and where can I buy then in metro Detroit?
>>
>>7126295
Never heard of/seen them. Maybe google can help you.
>>
>>7126295
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asian+market+detroit
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.