[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright I'm sick of this. Every fucking time I make mashed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: MashedPotatoes[1].jpg (331KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
MashedPotatoes[1].jpg
331KB, 2700x1800px
Alright I'm sick of this.

Every fucking time I make mashed potatoes I have lumps in them.

How do I make lump free mashed potatoes? Give me your recipe that you use.

What potatoes do you use? How long do you boil them for? How big do you cut the chunks? Do you heat up your milk? Do you use sour cream? Cream cheese? Do you melt your butter? Do you add cold butter? Any extras you add in? How hard do you have to mash them to get them to creamy?

I need the most autistic instructions for mashed potatoes you can give me. I'm tired of these fucking lumps.
>>
>>7110640
You could mash them really hard but they will be gummy. You need a ricer.

Seriously though they're just lumps. Why does it bother you?
>>
>>7110640
just cook them longer and smash them more viorously
>>
Be less autistic and learn to accept food that isn't pre-digested.
>>
>>7110640
use good russet or yukon gold potatos. boil them longer you retard. you know they're done when you stick a fork in them with little to no resistance
>>
>>7110643
It triggers me so hard when I go over to friends house for dinner and they have lump-free mashed potatoes knowing that I can't make creamy lump-free potatoes despite years of trying different combinations of milk/butter/potato type.
>>
>>7110648
I meant more like, why do the lumps bother you..

but yeah, get in a ricer. they cost 15 dollars.
>>
>>7110640
cook your potato properly. use milk, sour cream & butter. DO NOT over mash as that will make your mash as starchy and gummy as all fuck
>>
>>7110645
I boil for 15-20 minutes and mash until my arms hurt then I mash even more.

>>7110647
I've tried those. Same results. See above. boil for 15-20 minutes. The fork goes through them with zero resistance. The potato breaks apart when the fork hits them most of the time.
>>
>>7110648
cook them for longer and dice the potatoes before you put them in the pan to boil
>>
>>7110651
I will try to find a ricer. Thank you.
>>
>>7110657
>dice the potatoes
that does absolutely nothing.
>>
>>7110670
OP here. Wouldn't dicing make them boil faster/better? Smaller pieces more surface area etc ?
>>
>>7110640
Very important to cut them into a fairly regular size so they cook evenly. 1 inch cubes roughly. Cook until a knife goes in easily and won't lift the spud out if you lift it straight up. Boil them well but don't let them turn to mush. Then if you have time put the colander on top of the hot pot for a minute to dry them a bit. I mash mine with milk and butter. Normally I sort of whisk them at the end of mashing with the masher as well to give them a creamier texture.
>>
>>7110640
Let me tell you buddy.

Either your potatoes were raw in the middle or you didn't allow the steam to release before you added your butter and milk.

Before you add butter and milk and seasonings mash the potatoes to allow the steam to escape for a minute and a half or so. I then mash butter in then get a whisk or a mixer add milk or cream to texture and seasonings to taste.
>>
File: 15176872.jpg (30KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
15176872.jpg
30KB, 480x480px
>>7110640
>he doesn't rice his potatoes
>>
>>7110640
Its a complete fuck around if you want restaurant quality mash, but since you asked.

Bake them, skin on.
When you boil potatoes, they take on a lot of the water. The more liquid you take on when boiling, the less that the food can take on while mashing.

So as I said, bake them skin on until soft, peel the skin off then put them through a ricer, or a large sieve.
This will give you an unbelievably light, fluffy and smooth texture. Then fold in your extras.

Temperature and amount of extras shouldn't matter.
>>
>>7110675
They do take less time to boil.
>>
>>7110656
>and mash until my arms hurt

LOL no. mashing it more your mistake, your turning it into inedible starch paste at that point. should really take only 3-5 presses of a ricer or masher or flat bottom of a thermos or something. just make sure you've got butter, milk and sour cream in there.
>>
EVERYONE HERE IS WRONG WRONG WRONG

listen OP, this is the gospel truth, may baby Jesus drive a spike in my eye if i lie

>slightly overcook potatoes
>not falling apart just a bit softer that perfect for boiled
>drain and rinse in COLD COLD COLD water
>this removes the free starch
> add fats/liquids/flavorings
>mash well until you can use the masher as a whip and whip them in the pot

should give you a sore arm and a mash that is significantly higher than the volume of potato you started with, but rinse out that starch and the mashing gets much much easier.

reheat covered in the oven if you need too
>>
the lumps are good
>>
I bake my potatoes in the oven with the skin on. Use a fork to poke holes all over the surface so it won't burst apart.

Peel off the skin and harder bit under the skin. Add salt, white pepper, garlic powder, butter and cream and mash. I spoon it into muffin tins and put it back into the oven to keep it warm until service. To finish I sprinkle on some paprika.
>>
>>7110648
They probably use insta-mash or something.
>>
>>7110640
>How do I make lump free mashed potatoes?
USE AN ELECTRIC MIXER FAGGOT
>>
>>7110640
lumps are good though
>>
>>7111201

Add a little milk and use a hand mixer. They come out perfectly well every time.
>>
Potato ricers aren't entirely perfect, you still get little lumps and grainy bits

For perfect creamy mash you have to blend it in a blender and add lots of butter and milk

Here is what Marco Pierre White does: https://youtu.be/EWaAPdUxvFU?t=31
>>
The real questions why you don't like slightly lumpy mashed potatoes. Those lucious lumps are a quick way to tell if the cook is using instant or real potato's.
>>
pass it through a fucking sieve

how has no one said this yet

but pommes purees sucks dick i infinitely prefer lumpy mash
>>
>>7110640
use a fucking handmixer? little milk and sour cream, butter salt and pepper. honestly what the fuck.

/thread
>>
>>7111201
Came here to post this
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.