[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was fast food like in the 80s? was it better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 26

What was fast food like in the 80s? was it better?
>>
>portion sizes smaller
>soda sizes smaller
>food was probably made of actual meat and not chemical binders, flavorings and preservatives
>people actually took the time to savor their food instead of swallowing it whole and then getting back on their phones to check their facebook
>>
The burgers were much bigger. Burger King's motto was, "It takes two hands to hold a whopper!"

Of course, they can't say that any longer.

Big Macs used to be nearly twice the size. McDonald's used to fry their fries in beef flavoring. They were delicious. You could get fried apple pies too.

(I was born in the 70s)
>>
>>7105117
mcdonalds fried their fries in literal beef fat
>>
>>7105122
That's the way it was and we liked it!
>>
>>7105082
Yes, it tasted much better and it cost far less. The Whopper was delicious, not at all like the microwaved chemical waste they serve these days. Eating out was cheap and somewhat less unhealthy. My brother ate out every meal and still stayed thin and healthy and you could if you didn't drink the soft drinks. Kentucky Fried Chicken was awesome too, not the nasty nig nog slop they serve today.
>>
>>7105117
>Big Macs used to be nearly twice the size
and the bread wasnt half air as well. seriously i could make a better big mac at home for the same price or cheaper
>>
>>7105082
Our chicken nuggets were gray or brown
>>
>>7105117
What, you can still get fried apple pies. I get one every time I go.
>>
>>7105320
No. They are baked.
>>
>>7105082
It was better for a couple of reasons..,
The economy was better so you got more for your money. Half the population was not obese because people did not eat fast food everyday/every meal like so many do today, it was eaten maybe one meal out of a week to one meal out of the month and looked at as an occasional treat rather than the normal way of eating.
>>
people didn't have fast food for every meal. there weren't 9000 different items on the menu. there weren't 3 fast food restaurants on every corner.
>>
>>7105082

I dont remember as I was only tiny, but I remember food in the 90s. Fast food was really tasty, but I remember most other food was really shit.
>>
>>7105097
Useless post
>>
>>7105082
It was much better, the fries specifically. They were fried in beef tallow and GOD-TIER. Then the nazi fascist faggots from the CSPI nagged them until they caved and now we have the miracle of trans fat fries!
>>
>>7105082
I loved McDonalds in the eighties. Although that might be because I was 5 years old.
>>
>>7106535
>Then the nazi fascist faggots from the CSPI
Why hasn't there been a class action lawsuit against these fucks?
>>
>>7106605
there is no better spice than nostaligia
>>
>>7105103

this post sounds like it was written by a 20 year old

how right am i on a scale of 100%
>>
>>7105326
>There are some McDonald's restaurants throughout the US and world which still offer the fried pies, including all McDonald's restaurants in the United Kingdom, Japan, and Russia.

Bong here: sucks to be you.
>>
'In 1990, amid a barrage of criticism over the amount of cholesterol in its fries, McDonald's switched to pure vegetable oil. This presented the company with a challenge: how to make fries that subtly taste like beef without cooking them in beef tallow. A look at the ingredients in McDonald's french fries suggests how the problem was solved. Toward the end of the list is a seemingly innocuous yet oddly mysterious phrase: "natural flavor." That ingredient helps to explain not only why the fries taste so good but also why most fast food -- indeed, most of the food Americans eat today -- tastes the way it does."

I fucking hate fat people

Yes fat people

because you just KNOW it's the people who didn't want to eat smart and budget their portions and exercise who fucked up McDonalds

RIP
>>
>>7105082
Born in 1968. I don't remember it being much better in the 80's, aside for the fries others have mentioned. Frying in beef fat made the smell of McD's much stronger. But even back then the food had that kind of synthetic taste that really didn't taste like anything in particular other than McDonald's. And as soon as it cooled off a little and started to congeal it got gross super quick, which is why the styrofoam containers made sense.

I remember hotcakes and sausages (also served in a styrofoam container) as a breakfast option. They weren't very good.
>>
File: shin-chan_diet_eating_food.gif (476KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
shin-chan_diet_eating_food.gif
476KB, 500x350px
>>7106638

>dieting
>ever
>>
>>7106623
I'm 19 and agree with it, so like 99%
>>
didn't a bunch of kids die from eating jack in box?
>>
>>7105117
You just think this because your hands were smaller when you were young.
>>
Mc Donald's breakfast was better.
>>
>>7107115
I was in the Army by 1988. I could palm your face.
>>
File: mcdlt-box.jpg (314KB, 1565x704px) Image search: [Google]
mcdlt-box.jpg
314KB, 1565x704px
But the cold stayed cold & the hot stayed hot.
>>
>>7105326
>>7106627
I've had both the fried and the baked, I actually prefer baked.
>>
>>7107160
>joined the army
lol, so we're supposed to care about the opinion of a poorfag who was shit at everything in life so he joined boyscouts part two: let's murder some people?
>>
Good old McDonald's days where if you asked for some tiny variation from the standard product they had to cook you a fresh burger, since they didn't have those yellow trays that keep meat luke warm.
>>
I remember when Mc Donald's breakfast had scrambled eggs that looked like popcorn almost not the bricks of egg that they serve now or at least the last time I ate their scrambled eggs.
>>
File: Yumbo-thumb-200x159.jpg (10KB, 200x159px) Image search: [Google]
Yumbo-thumb-200x159.jpg
10KB, 200x159px
I fondly remember the Yumbo from Hungry Jack's/Burger King. Apparently they tried to bring it back but made the fatal mistake of adding salad to it. Unfortunately my parents bit down hard on the Hanoi Jane fitness craze in the 80s so fast food was an exceptionally rare experience.
>>
>>7107189
Great comeback. Go show your mom.
>>
>>7105103
Too much technology has fucked us
>>
>>7107189
Why ya gotta be like that man? You got called out and not you're being a bully. On 4chan we do not stand for bullies!
>>
File: american-fat-ass_fb_244126.jpg (22KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
american-fat-ass_fb_244126.jpg
22KB, 300x290px
>>7105117
>>7105139
MUH BEEF TALLOW!!
>>
>>7106627
>bong

What's it like being raped by sandniggers and loving it all day?
>>
File: oldmac.jpg (830KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
oldmac.jpg
830KB, 1920x1080px
I still remember the McDonalds ashtrays
>>
File: improper_riemann_integral.jpg (310KB, 997x1024px) Image search: [Google]
improper_riemann_integral.jpg
310KB, 997x1024px
>>7107610
and styrofoam coffee cups
>>
>>7106623

>no capitalized "this"
>using literal numbers in place of words
>no capitalized "i"
>no question mark at the end of a sentance
>no punctuation at all
>scaling suggestion without an actual scale
>a percentage is already a scale, that redundancy
>words having sound
>critiquing anyone on how they post

Holy fuck go to /lit/ you illiterate niggerfaggot. Just concuss you retard head with a fucking book.
>>
Life was so much simpler in the 80's. There was a TV show in Australia called Kingswood Country and the main character would express his distaste for things by saying "someone should blow [thing] up". He was a grumpy guy who hated everything and would say that catch phrase several times in each episode. Imagine someone saying something like that on TV today.
>someone should blow [thing] up!

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epef9GUYlQA
>>
>>7105082

It is really apples and oranges...it some ways the food tastes better because science has gotten better. However, there was a far smaller gap between fast food and actual real food before.

Best example is that there used to be two types of mcnuggets: white meat and dark meat. They didn't advertise it this way, it was just the way it was. When you got an order of nuggs some were white meat some were dark. This was in the 80s, and I am sure they still processed the shit out of the meat, but given that there were two types it still felt like there was actual chicken at the core of things.
>>
>>7106700
Damn bro, you like saw Tupac.
>>
>>7105103
>>food was probably made of actual meat and not chemical binders, flavorings and preservatives
Whoa buddy, he said the 80s not the 50s
>>
File: PlayPlace.jpg (291KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PlayPlace.jpg
291KB, 1600x1200px
Anyone else get kind of sick when they think about crawling around those disgusting PlayPlaces as a kid?
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 1024x683px
>>7107930
>crawling around bk in the tubes
>running and hiding and shit
>find a cool token
>keep it as my lucky token
>found it yesterday
>it was some body's AA token
>some dirty hobo was crawling in that fun tube
>>
>>7107952

lel
>>
>>7107930
teenagers used to fuck and smoke pot in the highest room in the play place at my old mcdonalds
>>
>>7105082
I forgot all about outside play places. Those were the best.
>>
The McDonald's sings used to say xx billion sold and the number would go up every so often. It eventually got up to 99 and then they went to a new style.
>>
I can remember when the areas around McDonalds were littered with the styrofoam containers they used to put everything in.

Re: the food, the most noticable change for me happened a couple years ago when McDonalds did something to the muffin in the egg McMuffin (made it whole wheat or something?) and now it's dry and dense and tastes like shit. Ruined the best thing on the menu.
>>
I fondly remember Long John Silvers when I was a kid in Canada. They all closed down AFAIK and now there's nothing like it.
>>
You could go to mcdonalds and get three cheeseburgers for less than a dollar.
>>
>>7105082

It was magical.

Hell, my family Christmas glassware all came from Long John Silvers. Try making a statement like that in 2015.
>>
>>7107636
>concuss you retard head

>critiquing anyone on how they post
>>
>>7107189
Supremely edgy response. Too bad you can't get upvoted for that here. I'll bet everyone would just be dying to tell you how funny you are
>>
>>7107537
You do realize it is healthier than the transfats they fry it in now. There isn't anything inherently unhealthy in fats either.
>>
>>7107168
But they put the cheese on the cold side so it wasn't melty at all.
>>
>>7107636

>"Sentance"
>Zero capital letters in the entirety of the post
>"No scale provided. A percentage is a scale"

Go to /lit/ yourself you moronic imbecile.
>>
>>7105161
No you can't.
>>
>>7106623
He's probably right about all but the last one. I don't think people were savoring their greasy McD's anymore than people do today. I imagine they swallowed it too and went back to playing at the arcade or whatever.
>>
>>7105082
>What was fast food like in the 80s? was it better?
The fries were cooked in beef tallow and were indeed better.

The 80s were about nothing good in the fast restaurant biz, outside of that. It was about science and trickery and reducing costs, not some of the tastier trends that also happened to be healthier. It was as far away from natural and simple as you could get.
>>
File: lindsey543.jpg (211KB, 1129x1400px) Image search: [Google]
lindsey543.jpg
211KB, 1129x1400px
>>7107952
>>some dirty hobo was crawling in that fun tube

well at least he was sober
>>
>>7108110
>Hell, my family Christmas glassware all came from Long John Silvers. Try making a statement like that in 2015.
ROFL. Oh gosh, I forgot about those screen-printed jelly jar kind of glasses that were popular from fast food joints. There were promotional items from Star Wars and other things, or you had to work hard to collect that Grimace one that was more rare.
>>
>>7107614
>improper riemann integral
kek

>>7107610
>all this styrofoam
>fuck the earth this is the 80s nigga
>>
>tfw no 80s childhood
>>
>>7108892
lol I remember Burger King gave out Indiana Jones VHS tapes, and Pizza Hut gave out Mr Mom DVDs
>>
>>7109136
>Mr Mom DVDs
not in the 80's
>>
>>7108750
why do you think he dumped his AA token
>>
>>7109163

Laser disc existed in the 80's.
>>
>>7109187
>DVDs
>Laserdisc

Not the same thing, and Laserdisc was not cheap enough or popular enough for anyone to be giving out free Laserdiscs in the 80's.
>>
>>7105082
>was it better?
Fuck no.

As a rule, shit food has gotten better and better in the last 30 or so years. Everything from junk food, to snacks, to fucking microwave dinners has been improving so much it's actually pretty impressive.

Does that mean it's actually good now? Of course not, don't be silly. But it does taste a hell of a lot better in general.

Anyone who disagrees, outside of maybe a few anecdotal exceptions, doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
Better than you may think.
>>
>>7109313
I remember it tasting a shit ton better.
>>
File: arthur-treachers.png (267KB, 420x316px) Image search: [Google]
arthur-treachers.png
267KB, 420x316px
>Remember 80s
>Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips still existed
>They still used haddock
>dem triangles and steak fries
>dem hushpuppies and malt vinegar

Nothing today even comes close.
>>
>>7107610
Why did someone save all this garbage?
>>
>>7109703
Obsessions, repetitive behaviour and routines can be a source of enjoyment for people with autism and a way of coping with everyday life.
>>
I'm a pretty nostalgic faggot, but the only thing I miss about fast food from the 80s & 90s was the bigger sizes you could get. Biggie size at Wendy's and supersize at McDonald's, this was before the drink fountains were all self-serve, so you had lots of orange drink and you actually had fries left over.

Granted, I was young, so I didn't think about how gross it is to eat and drink that much garbage. In 2015, fast food is strictly something I get when I'm lazy or in a social situation. I wouldn't even order those giant sizes, if they still had them.
>>
>>7107984
That sounds nostalgic as fuck.

I wish I could be a teenager in the 80s or 90s with a qt scruffy gf who listened to edgy music and smoked shitloads of pot, so we can go to the nearby McD's afterschool, fuck around and get high in the PlayPlace and eat shitloads of greasy fast food.

I wonder if the McDonalds that I remember going to when I was 3-5 still has that PlayPlace. I remember it had some kind of Nintendo 64 setup.
>>
>>7107189
Just because I can't give you an updoot I'm replying to tell you I found your post funny.
>>
>>7109752
Hell yeah, I remember when Wendy's singles were so huge you had to race to finish them before they fell apart or fell out of the bun.
>>
File: 6015366579_aaec161e0a_b.jpg (315KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
6015366579_aaec161e0a_b.jpg
315KB, 1024x768px
>>7105082
>>
File: Chilitos.jpg (140KB, 850x642px) Image search: [Google]
Chilitos.jpg
140KB, 850x642px
Zantigo Mexican Restaurant. 80s version. These humble little tubes of angel's pussy juice in a burrito shell were the best fast food item ever invented, at $0.59 cents apiece.

Taco Hell killed them. Tried to bring them back as the "Cheese Chilito" failed miserably, and killed them again.
>>
Everything was better in the 80s except technology and music.
>>
File: 1399940609816.png (275KB, 635x471px) Image search: [Google]
1399940609816.png
275KB, 635x471px
>>7109971
>not liking 80s music
>>
>>7109853
>Sit on my face and tell me that you love me
>>
File: 1448488141682.png (90KB, 628x676px) Image search: [Google]
1448488141682.png
90KB, 628x676px
>>7109927
>Chilito
>1) Mexican Spanish slang for a small penis
>>
>>7109975
I remember knowing this 10 years before the internet existed and it didn't matter then either. Those things were Deus-tier.
>>
McDonalds: food the same, styrofoam containers, smoking as has already been mentioned. Different play structures. 21 oz was a "large," "supersize" came out around 1990 or so and is now the new normal.

Burger King: pretty much identical. Less try hard "burger of the month" shit like sriracha or A-1 burgers. No chicken fries or any of that shit. The Whopper was their mainstay, and they were fine with that.

Wendy's: better, but not huge differences. Better fries. Cleaner, cheaper restaurants. Things were better when Dave Thomas was alive. Now it's all run by accountants. I miss the big bacon classic.

Taco Bell: pretty big differences, was much more like Taco Time is now. Simpler menu, but pricier. Back in the early 90s they completely reinvented themselves with a budget menu and new look to everything. Made them billions and they buried Taco Time. It's really showing its age now.
>>
>>7109990
I remember my dad becoming IRATE when he found out that McD was cutting their burgers with soy protein. In those times, tofu was taboo, and real men didn't eat quiche. Early to mid 80s.
Forgot about the styrofoam, though.
>>
>>7108110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpolLVjoXno
>>
>>7105082
Did you ever see that episode of The Simpsons where Krusty Burger promises free food for every Olympic game the US won a medal in in '84? That was based on a very real thing that happened to McDonald's.

The Soviets didn't attend the '84 games, so the US dominated almost every event, and the stuff that came with game pieces was also stuff you could get for free. You could show up to a McDonald's and just buy a small drink and walk out with enough food to feed a family of four.
>>
The only thing that I remember about fast food from my childhood is that Jack in the Box's Outlaw Burger from the early 90s was pretty much the single best fast food burger you could get.
>>
File: tumblr_lh0lnu7xWY1qakv02o1_400.jpg (27KB, 362x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lh0lnu7xWY1qakv02o1_400.jpg
27KB, 362x400px
>>7105082
> What was fast food like in the 80s? was it better?

48 year old here and back in the 1970s, the McDonalds around the corner from my house didn't have a drive-thru and didn't even have a dining room and they made shakes with a mixing machine.

The also had Chopped Beef Steak Sandwiches that were fucking awesome. Dunno why they don't bring those back?
>>
>>7110266
>Dunno why they don't bring those back?
Is that a real question, grampa?

I call you "grampa" despite the fact that you're barely old enough to be my father.
>>
File: B47jbWJCIAARrKh.jpg (37KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
B47jbWJCIAARrKh.jpg
37KB, 599x337px
>>7110296

>48
>grandpa

What type of white trash family do you come from that everyone has children as teenagers?

Gross.
>>
File: 9xrgJKD.jpg (85KB, 516x640px) Image search: [Google]
9xrgJKD.jpg
85KB, 516x640px
>>7110266
Looks like a Proto-McRib. Did it taste like steak?
>>
>>7110316
Hey, it's almost like I pointed that out in my own fucking post.
>>
>>7110316
>>7110296
>I call you "grampa" despite the fact that you're barely old enough to be my father

Might want to get your eyes checked: I hear vision is one of the first things to go for old people
>>
>>7110352

>being this triggered.

TOPMOTHERFUCKINGKEK
>>
>>7109990
I agree with all those except Wendys. in the early 90's Wendys was great the quality was excellent and doesn't compare to what they serve now which isn't very good. Back in the day you could tell you were eating at wendys and not some other fast food place because it just tasted better and fresher.
>>
Only thing I really miss are the fried pies. Goddamn those were good. Nice and crispy exterior and molten filing inside. Gotta say cherry > apple. Also, everyone working there was white.
>>
They also had way cooler promotions, and just did cool artwork for the paper they put into the trays. also remember the ketchup pump and the little cups?
>>
>>7107022
The 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak occurred when 732 people were infected with the Escherichia coli O157:H7 bacterium originating from undercooked beef patties in hamburgers.[1][2][3] The outbreak involved 73 Jack in the Box restaurants in California, Idaho, Washington and Nevada and has been described as "far and away the most infamous food poison outbreak in contemporary history."[4][5][6] The majority of the victims were children aged under 10-years old.[7][8] Four children died and 178 other victims were left with permanent injury including kidney and brain damage.[9][10][11][12][13]
>>
I remember the good ole days, when Dennys was racist
>>
>>7107176
Same. Fried is way too greasy.
>>
>>7110339
>Looks like a Proto-McRib. Did it taste like steak?

It's been a while but I remember it tasted good and I get it every chance I could (which probably once or twice a month, because mom didn't want me eating fasts food).
>>
>>7107906
>50s
>not being a decade rampant with preservative experimentation and culinary abortions such like gelatin monstrosities.
>>
>>7109686

but they still do exist?
>>
>>7110413

> Also, everyone working there was white.

They're not even black now, they're Haitian. What places even hire whites as main staff, just Chik-fil-a?
>>
File: BK.jpg (523KB, 751x517px) Image search: [Google]
BK.jpg
523KB, 751x517px
>>7105082
>What was fast food like in the 80s?
>>
>>7110515
i know miami subs still sells arthur treacher stuff, but that might be just for that store.
>>
When i was wee I ate BK double hamburgers, plain when we went there for a treat. thinkin' late 80's 90's

recently decided to revisit that
>because I am hugbox
and ordered 2 plain double burgers.

tasted exactly the same. EXACTLY.
>>
File: sambos.jpg (28KB, 450x347px) Image search: [Google]
sambos.jpg
28KB, 450x347px
>>7110428
I remember when every White guilt crybaby and his brother started whining about these places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's
>>
File: 1435938587201.jpg (58KB, 640x748px) Image search: [Google]
1435938587201.jpg
58KB, 640x748px
>>7109686
>>7110515
>>7111119
I had an arthur treachers down the street from me that just closed down last year and the worst part is, they replaced it with a fucking 711. I was so fucking mad. Arthur treachers is and forever will be the best fast food fish place. Long john silvers is too fucking salty.
>>
>>7111200
>arthur treachers down the street
>implying you live up the street
>>
>>7111227
You don't know that, do you?
>>
The biggest change is in the fires. When they switched from beef tallow ti veg oil. The burgers taste more or less the same to be since the 80s
>>
Did anyone else have the "big" McDonalds that hosted birthday parties and shit? I remember one that had like a bank of computer-like screens and fake jelly-fry fish and other goofy shit.
>>
File: 1398608422210.jpg (100KB, 550x620px) Image search: [Google]
1398608422210.jpg
100KB, 550x620px
>>7105082
taco bell burritos costed like 10 cents

hyuck hyuck
>>
>>7110368
>>7110316

you are shit at life
>>
>>7109686
I've seen Nathan's sell their stuff
>>
>>7108753
it's really bugging me that I can't get the joke
>>
>>7108892
I think I still have my Back to the Future sunglasses that Pizza Hut gave out when BttF2 came out.
>>7109136
I got The Land Before Time from Pizza Hut, with that really cheese Little League commercial at the beginning.
>>
>>7110118
Soy is still taboo but whats wrong with Quiche it's a perfectly acceptable casserole side-dish
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.